HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Oct 21, 2022, 7:36 PM

Demo has started. The permit for the demolition of the electrical transformer building and various pieces of site infrastructure is under inspection. The demolition permit for the larger building is still under review and looks like it will be issued soon. I don't know for sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if the demolition of the electrical infrastructure has to happen first.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Last edited by maccoinnich; Oct 24, 2022 at 4:11 PM.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2022, 3:51 PM

If you go around on the west side of the property you can see the shovels digging out the electrical infrastructure roughly in the middle of the campus. Very much slow and steady work at the moment.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2022, 8:55 PM

Issued last week:

Quote:
BROADWAY CORRIDOR USPS P&DC Demolition - **9/8/22 Description changed to add permit 22-181341-CO for guardrail installation after skybridge demo included with submittal. Original description - demolish the former USPS P&DC building. Portions of the site will have corrective actions in preparation for future public infrastructure and future Broadway Corridor vertical development. This portion of the project is not development.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2022, 12:22 AM

On the Prosper Portland Board agenda for Wednesday:

Quote:
Information Item: Update on Efforts to Further Redevelopment of the former United States Postal Service Property located at 715 NW Hoyt Street

Report 22-33

Old Posted Nov 8, 2022, 5:46 AM
A before E

I didn't realize how complex this site was. That is a lot they will have to do with demolition, but it's good to hear that it should be completed this time next year and we should really see infrastructure work done by 2025 as well as the phase 1 of the affordable housing. I wouldn't be surprised if we see a lot of things happen quickly once we get to 2025.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2022, 10:14 PM
BANNED

I just want to know when this place is going to get completely leveled

Old Posted Nov 10, 2022, 3:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorbinWarrick View Post
I just want to know when this place is going to get completely leveled
I'm currently dogsitting for a friend in the Pearl District and the apartment overlooks this site. They're actively doing demo 9-5 every weekday. It kinda fun to watch the little skid steer loaders zipping around the rooftops throwing debris off the side. They're definitely not using any radical demo strategies (likely for environmental reasons - you can see them spraying the dust clouds with water).

Old Posted Nov 10, 2022, 5:59 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificStates View Post
I'm currently dogsitting for a friend in the Pearl District and the apartment overlooks this site. They're actively doing demo 9-5 every weekday. It kinda fun to watch the little skid steer loaders zipping around the rooftops throwing debris off the side. They're definitely not using any radical demo strategies (likely for environmental reasons - you can see them spraying the dust clouds with water).
Ahh I was assuming it was going to be one of those fast method demos. So I guess they’re just going at it slowly section by section. At this pace what are some guesses when it’s eventually all dirt?

Old Posted Nov 10, 2022, 5:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorbinWarrick View Post
Ahh I was assuming it was going to be one of those fast method demos. So I guess they’re just going at it slowly section by section. At this pace what are some guesses when it’s eventually all dirt?
Found this info on their website:
"Demolition of the Processing & Distribution Center is critical to constructing the street and utility infrastructure necessary for the initial phases of redevelopment of the property. A first phase of work will include abatement of hazardous materials and limited soft demolition over several months, followed by demolition of the building and restoration of the site."

The timeline for the demo of the P&DC is shown as Summer 2022 - Fall 2023.

https://www.broadwaycorridorpdx.com/current-work#pdc

Old Posted Nov 10, 2022, 6:22 PM
BANNED

Hmm so by next year thanks

Old Posted Nov 29, 2022, 11:06 PM

An RFP is out for the extension of the North Park Blocks. The project will include design and construction of Site 1 (in front of PNCA) and 30% design for Site 2, on the old USPS site.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2022, 3:58 PM

Thank you for that update. I know its a long ways out, but something to look forward to. I hope that as a part of this project or the green loop, the city invests some money to freshen up the rest of the North Park Blocks. They are a real gem, but looking a little haggard relative to their South Park siblings.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2022, 6:59 PM

Agreed. For the Green Loop, it would be really helpful if PBOT could put in a full signal at Park/Burnside, and then build out even a quick build (paint / posts) between Burnside and Glisan. Even without a huge amount of investment, that could bring a lot more people to the park.

Despite everything, I'm optimistic about the future of the North Park Blocks. Industrious has opened in the Custom House; Matutina should be opening soon in the Arthouse; the Choice Cambria permit is progressing, with the demo permit issued (somewhat of a bittersweet one, but the activity the hotel will bring will be good); and Bar Comala is open beside la Fondita / De Noche. There's still quite a lot of vacant spaces, but the chance of them filling looks higher than it did not that long ago.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2022, 7:55 PM

I'd love to see a weekend farmers market in North Park Blocks ... even just a small one ... to get people going there more often. So many people live in short walking distance to the blocks but it always feels a bit iffy to journey there.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2022, 10:55 AM
9-7-2oh1-!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
Despite everything, I'm optimistic about the future of the North Park Blocks.
Definitely. Long term, I strongly believe the North Park Blocks and surrounding area is a sleeping giant. Good things will come, but it's going to take time.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2022, 3:06 PM

Location: Portland (part-time); warm foreign countries (part-time)
Quote:
Originally Posted by colossalorder View Post
I'd love to see a weekend farmers market in North Park Blocks ... even just a small one ... to get people going there more often. So many people live in short walking distance to the blocks but it always feels a bit iffy to journey there.
Quite a few years ago, Portland Farmers Market had a small weekly market in the North Park Blocks. Why don't you be proactive and contact them through their website to see what it would take to re-establish a weekly market there?

Old Posted Dec 2, 2022, 3:27 PM

Ha! I actually did exactly that after writing that post. Not sure if one random email will get the market restarted, but it couldn't hurt.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2023, 7:46 PM

Quote:
New developer expresses interest in Portland’s Broadway Corridor project

More than a year after a Colorado-based firm backed out of leading the redevelopment of Portland’s former central post office site, another group is considering becoming lead developer of what is anticipated to be a mixture of housing, business and recreation.

A team that includes Related California and Portland’s Melvin Mark signed a one-year exclusive negotiation agreement with Prosper Portland on Jan. 6 to advise the city’s redevelopment agency on the ambitious project and explore the feasibility of developing a portion of the site.
Read more on Oregonlive here...

Old Posted Jan 17, 2023, 7:50 PM

Not sure if this is anything new, but front page news anyway. Will be interesting to see if PP will end up needing to give up some of the lofty goals originally intended, especially since the market (demand, interest rates) have created a vastly different reality (worse for RE) than when Continuum backed out.

https://www.oregonlive.com/business/...r-project.html

Old Posted Jan 17, 2023, 11:09 PM
BANNED

I have a feeling this project is going to be completely different than the city originally wanted. Sad turn of events though with all the delays and to think even more delays might be coming if Related decides next year they’ll pass

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland