HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Jan 8, 2018, 7:38 PM

Coincidentally, as we get a laundry list of developments, here's your 2018 forecast on the ever-broadening brewery scene in Phoenix.

https://www.abc15.com/entertainment/...expand-in-2018

Old Posted Jan 9, 2018, 9:59 AM

Ouch not getting the W Hotel built stung like hell for me when I realized we weren't getting it back in the day. That and the Momentum Tower were some major eye candy.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2018, 10:48 AM
Skyriser

Quote:
Originally Posted by xymox View Post
I agree - Bruder’s proposals are all very cool.

Especially the Two11 project - what ever happened to this? Was it not a serious proposal? That would have been a great addition to the skyline...

http://willbruderarchitects.com/project/two11/
There's no way this could have been serious. 790' for Downtown Phoenix is simply too tall, and anyone would have done their due diligence before commissioning such a mockup.

I think he probably just looked at the average downtown Phoenix block and wondered what he could conceivably do with it.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2018, 6:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
There's no way this could have been serious. 790' for Downtown Phoenix is simply too tall, and anyone would have done their due diligence before commissioning such a mockup.

I think he probably just looked at the average downtown Phoenix block and wondered what he could conceivably do with it.
Isn't the maximum for that specific block somewhere around 600ft? I know it isn't near 790 but its still possible to have a significantly taller building than the Chase tower in some parts of downtown.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2018, 6:28 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renz View Post
Isn't the maximum for that specific block somewhere around 600ft? I know it isn't near 790 but its still possible to have a significantly taller building than the Chase tower in some parts of downtown.
I don't think we can break the 600' barrier until North of Roosevelt...give or take a block.

*Edit: With that being said, I'm inclined to agree with Sean. We don't need anything that tall...yet. Maybe 20 years from now. But I would like to see the 500' barrier broken and I would be happy with that.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2018, 9:01 PM
Desert Dweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieFoos View Post
We don't need anything that tall...yet. Maybe 20 years from now. But I would like to see the 500' barrier broken and I would be happy with that.
Sure we don't need anything that tall, but it would be nice to be on the bandwagon to attract rich, overseas investors who "buy" their citizenship by investing in Million-Dollar apartments they will probably never see in person.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2018, 10:43 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxSprawler View Post
Sure we don't need anything that tall, but it would be nice to be on the bandwagon to attract rich, overseas investors who "buy" their citizenship by investing in Million-Dollar apartments they will probably never see in person.
I don't think that is going to happen until Phoenix becomes a Beta Global City at the very least. I just don't feel there is enough financial interests in Phoenix from overseas investors to build mega-sized towers in the core right now. Believe me....I would love to see a 700 footer here. But we are just barely over the hump of a "successful core" versus having it all roll downhill the other way. With everything that is happening development-wise, a financial crash right now would kill all Downtown development, whereas a crash happening in about 10 years from now when we have a much higher core population would have less of an impact.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2018, 3:08 AM

You know, nothing personal here, but this attitude above is EXACTLY what I hate about Phoenix/Arizona in general...just lack of vision or pride. Everyone here loves a team from ANOTHER city/state. Okay, not really but you know what I'm saying. How many cities in the US have 700+ footers? Let me see...New York (duh), Chicago (duh), LA, Philly, Seattle, San Fran, Minneapolis, Miami, Atlanta, Dallas, Houston, Denver, Pittsburgh, Boston, Austin...how many is that? 15 off top of my head. Phoenix is the 12th largest metro and 5th largest city? And our tallest is 483'? And built in 1973???

(sigh)

What's the point. I dunno. Lame attitude, guys. Sorry, don't mean to offend. But lame. One decent size relocation could necessitate a 45- or 50-story tower. It's not like heaven and earth need to collide for a building that tall to get built. Just f*#king re-zone an appropriate area that meets FAA requirements, etc. The incremental cost of going higher is, I'm guessing, decreasing from like 30 to 50 floors. Maybe not. Whatever...yes, let's build another 300' "tower".

Old Posted Jan 10, 2018, 3:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somethingfast View Post
You know, nothing personal here, but this attitude above is EXACTLY what I hate about Phoenix/Arizona in general...just lack of vision or pride. Everyone here loves a team from ANOTHER city/state. Okay, not really but you know what I'm saying. How many cities in the US have 700+ footers? Let me see...New York (duh), Chicago (duh), LA, Philly, Seattle, San Fran, Minneapolis, Miami, Atlanta, Dallas, Houston, Denver, Pittsburgh, Boston, Austin...how many is that? 15 off top of my head. Phoenix is the 12th largest metro and 5th largest city? And our tallest is 483'? And built in 1973???

(sigh)

What's the point. I dunno. Lame attitude, guys. Sorry, don't mean to offend. But lame. One decent size relocation could necessitate a 45- or 50-story tower. It's not like heaven and earth need to collide for a building that tall to get built. Just f*#king re-zone an appropriate area that meets FAA requirements, etc. The incremental cost of going higher is, I'm guessing, decreasing from like 30 to 50 floors. Maybe not. Whatever...yes, let's build another 300' "tower".
Im legitimately a THIRD generation Pheonician. We aren’t seeing anything over 500’ anytime soon. And yes, i would take a solid series of 300’ develoments over a 600’ ANY DAY.

Unrelated... but Jay Fetherston with the City of Phoenix just gave a presentation regarding the future of the Central Station project.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2018, 3:46 AM

Did Jay say anything to give us some excitement or vision?

Old Posted Jan 10, 2018, 3:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gymratmanaz View Post
Did Jay say anything to give us some excitement or vision?
Hang on. New RFP is VERY real and HIGHLY motivated.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2018, 3:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fawd View Post
Im legitimately a THIRD generation Pheonician. We aren’t seeing anything over 500’ anytime soon. And yes, i would take a solid series of 300’ develoments over a 600’ ANY DAY.

Unrelated... but Jay Fetherston with the City of Phoenix just gave a presentation regarding the future of the Central Station project.
Yeah what’s up with the suspense?! lol

Old Posted Jan 10, 2018, 3:54 AM

Quote:
I sense at least 500 feet!

Old Posted Jan 10, 2018, 4:17 AM

Quote:
I don't know what RFP is, but it sounds good.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2018, 5:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stutteringpunk View Post
I think it means Real-f'n-Proposals. I'm all for that. Get that tower in Central Station!

Old Posted Jan 10, 2018, 5:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stutteringpunk View Post
Rfp = request for project

Basically the city will sell a developer cheap land ambit the developer needs to show the city what they are going to do with the land, then the city gives it to the best project.

Central station was RFP’d a few years back but the winning proposal fell through so they are RFP’ing it again

Old Posted Jan 10, 2018, 5:42 AM

Plan Reviews

Plan Review Watch:

Plan review filed for "condominium" project at the Phoenix County Club parking lot. Project was rumored to be in the works last year (https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...d-come-to.html). Davis is the contractor, seems like it could be good. Project no. 00-1060.

Plan review for filed for the Mortenson multi-family at Central/Polk next to the hotel. 20 stories, 299 units, 226 parking, ground floor restaurant. Project no. 17-1153.

Let the good times roll.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2018, 5:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
Rfp = request for project

Basically the city will sell a developer cheap land ambit the developer needs to show the city what they are going to do with the land, then the city gives it to the best project.

Central station was RFP’d a few years back but the winning proposal fell through so they are RFP’ing it again
I really hope something happens there this time. I would hate for the economy to take a dive and the lot remain dormant or something underwhelming go in.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2018, 1:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieFoos View Post
I don't think that is going to happen until Phoenix becomes a Beta Global City at the very least. I just don't feel there is enough financial interests in Phoenix from overseas investors to build mega-sized towers in the core right now. Believe me....I would love to see a 700 footer here. But we are just barely over the hump of a "successful core" versus having it all roll downhill the other way. With everything that is happening development-wise, a financial crash right now would kill all Downtown development, whereas a crash happening in about 10 years from now when we have a much higher core population would have less of an impact.
Phoenix does not have to be a Beta global city to get a 600 or 700 footer.
OK City, and Austin are not Beta global city neither are smaller cities than phoenix in South America like Cartagena, Barranquilla, Rosario, etc.

I think it all has to do with phoenix not having major corporations, and people prerferences to live in single family homes vs high rises.

I think maybe when we start running out of space, or when we get more fortune 500 companies in Arizona.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2018, 2:38 PM
Modulator

Guys. Go back and read my post again. I never said Phoenix wouldn't get a 600 footer for not being a beta city. I said Phoenix would never get an overseas investor for a mega tower while Phoenix isn't a beta city. We are not going to get a major Saudi Arabian oil billionaire investing here because we are not a major global power city. We can always get a national headquarters such as a bank or insurance company. But we are simply not going to land a international project downtown until we have a stable core and move up in the global city rankings. I never said we would not get a tall tower.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix22 View Post
Phoenix does not have to be a Beta global city to get a 600 or 700 footer.
OK City, and Austin are not Beta global city neither are smaller cities than phoenix in South America like Cartagena, Barranquilla, Rosario, etc.

I think it all has to do with phoenix not having major corporations, and people prerferences to live in single family homes vs high rises.

I think maybe when we start running out of space, or when we get more fortune 500 companies in Arizona.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest