HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Aug 9, 2016, 6:29 AM

I thought I had seen the data building listed in ASU's capital expenditures; obviously, I was wrong. Sorry.

As I mentioned, the permits for the Hampton Inn reference the original residential/office tower as well; perhaps it won't happen, but I'd bet that the hotel does not reach Central and leaves room for a future phase. Too bad that entire block is pretty bad at street level - the awkward Westin valet, hidden Province, converted retail on 1st St, etc. I would actually rather the lobby front another street so that Central could be lined with restaurants.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2016, 7:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
Nextdoor.com, or you can search building permits.

https://apps-secure.phoenix.gov/PDD/Search

The county assessor's website will reveal owner and address information that might not otherwise be clear.

http://maps.mcassessor.maricopa.gov/
Thank you!

Old Posted Aug 12, 2016, 7:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crispy View Post
Here is a link to the brokers info packet on the Fry's anchored retail development on Dove Valley.

http://www.phoenixcommercialadvisors...rtdovefull.pdf

I believe the Ryan Companies site south of Happy Valley is going to be office.

The game changer in that area is if the USAA project ever comes to life.
Great thanks. This also has some interesting info about the surrounding area demographics. Thanks again

What is USAA proposing?

Old Posted Aug 12, 2016, 8:23 PM
Skyriser

^ Norterra, a 400-acre pile of sprawl around a "main street"...but it's still not very dense. They have the entitlements already.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2016, 8:04 PM
Skyriser

Old Posted Aug 14, 2016, 3:04 PM

Granted it's a rough rendering (I hope), it's ghastly underwhelming. Something with the namesake "The Canyon" should knock my socks off. Come on Phx, impress me...for once!! This is Scottsdale maybe Tempe standards, why are we routinely scraping the bottom of the barrel for any good-looking projects on prominent empty lots?

-(insert McKayla Mahoney face) 'I am not impressed.'

Old Posted Aug 16, 2016, 10:21 PM

Macayo's Makes Way For Multifamily

Pretty cookie-cutter, but at least they won't be tan.

http://azbex.com/macayos-makes-way-for-multifamily/

Old Posted Aug 16, 2016, 10:37 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASUSunDevil View Post
Pretty cookie-cutter, but at least they won't be tan.

http://azbex.com/macayos-makes-way-for-multifamily/
Reminds me of Proxy 333 at 4th St. & McKinley Downtown. We have room for plenty of cookie-cutter apartment buildings amid the occasional architectural gem.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2016, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
Reminds me of Proxy 333 at 4th St. & McKinley Downtown. We have room for plenty of cookie-cutter apartment buildings amid the occasional architectural gem.
I am okay with it. I hate the current Macayo's building. The one next door looks like it will be much cooler AND we get more residents. I approve of how this whole thing came together.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2016, 1:36 AM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXFlyer11 View Post
I hate the current Macayo's building.
Yes, that faux-Aztec behemoth is an eyesore. I hope the food improves along with the architecture when the new Macayo's opens.

Last edited by exit2lef; Aug 17, 2016 at 2:21 AM.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2016, 2:46 AM

Quote:
I hope the food improves
Don't make any bets...

Old Posted Aug 17, 2016, 6:55 PM

Derby

We haven't heard from "Derby Roosevelt Row" for a while, but they just made an FAA application.

https://oeaaa.faa.gov/oeaaa/external...01998988&row=0

Quote:
Structure Type: Building
Structure Name: Derby
Structure Height: 245

Old Posted Aug 17, 2016, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muertecaza View Post
We haven't heard from "Derby Roosevelt Row" for a while, but they just made an FAA application.

https://oeaaa.faa.gov/oeaaa/external...01998988&row=0
Good to see Derby Row making some progress!

So interesting developments around Chase Field and the County voted to approve proceeding w/ a potential sale to an investor group. I think, all around, this might be a benefit for downtown. It guarantees DBacks stay till at least 2027 and renovations/repairs are made. The Investor Goup also makes mention that a true sports and entertainment district will be created. I'm assuming this district would encompass Jackson St and head south?

http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/...ions/88907516/
http://ktar.com/story/1235633/marico...-diamondbacks/

Old Posted Aug 17, 2016, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airomero83 View Post
Good to see Derby Row making some progress!

So interesting developments around Chase Field and the County voted to approve proceeding w/ a potential sale to an investor group. I think, all around, this might be a benefit for downtown. It guarantees DBacks stay till at least 2027 and renovations/repairs are made. The Investor Goup also makes mention that a true sports and entertainment district will be created. I'm assuming this district would encompass Jackson St and head south?

http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/...ions/88907516/
http://ktar.com/story/1235633/marico...-diamondbacks/
I doubt anything more than renovations happen. But still good because it keeps them downtown and we don't end up with an obsolete facility.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2016, 4:19 AM

Quote:
I think there are some significant differences between Proxxy and this Alta project. The former includes live/work units along 2 streets and fits the scale of the neighborhood. Alta Central, as with every Wood Partners project, is far removed from being TOD: short and cheap construction, singe-use, superblock pattern... until dense, mixed use projects with limited underground parking are built, Midtown will remain an auto-oriented cluster of spread out destinations.

Not sure how one can judge The Canyon from that small rendering. It looks taller than 11 stories; but, two towers at that height will add to the skyline. The superblock design stinks, but was expected. I'd like to see a site plan for what is planned re: retail as all 4 streets have potential. Now, if only the other nearby lots developed, there would be signs of life in that area.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2016, 4:00 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjs5056 View Post
I think there are some significant differences between Proxxy and this Alta project. The former includes live/work units along 2 streets and fits the scale of the neighborhood. Alta Central, as with every Wood Partners project, is far removed from being TOD: short and cheap construction, singe-use, superblock pattern... until dense, mixed use projects with limited underground parking are built, Midtown will remain an auto-oriented cluster of spread out destinations.
I meant visually similar in terms of color scheme and design. Regardless, I agree that many current projects, including this one, have too much parking. You'll not be surprised to learn that I'm pleased Alta Central is 100% residential. That means more customers to support existing Midtown businesses, especially nights and weekends when the area is less active, and fewer empty storefronts to create a negative impression of the area. Midtown is already mixed use in terms of commercial and residential in close proximity. Forcing every single building to be mixed use is a recipe for blight.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2016, 4:28 PM

Quote:
I meant visually similar in terms of color scheme and design. Regardless, I agree that many current projects, including this one, have too much parking. You'll not be surprised to learn that I'm pleased Alta Central is 100% residential. That means more customers to support existing Midtown businesses, especially nights and weekends when the area is less active, and fewer empty storefronts to create a negative impression of the area. Midtown is already mixed use in terms of commercial and residential in close proximity. Forcing every single building to be mixed use is a recipe for blight.
Exactly, planners can't get out of their own way. I always had this problem with my urban planning classes they think they can force the market to exsist in heir framework.

City planners need to have more of a mindset of setting guidelines and allowing the urbanfabric to grow organically based on market needs and demands.

City planners think they can dictate when really they should build the trellace and let the vines grow on it. It doesn't need to be perfect and it doesn't need to be forced.

The most urban parts of the city were not designed top down.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2016, 4:30 PM

Mixed-use Development near 32nd and Indian School

The city has pre-approved a mixed-use development on the east side of 32nd street south of Glenrosa, north of Indian school. It will be 4 stories with office space on the bottom floor and residential in floors 2 - 4. Nelsen Partners, http://www.nelsenpartners.com who worked on Kierland and Scottsdale Quarter are the architects for the property.

“The proposed development will consist of both professional office space and multifamily residential units. Professional offices are a permitted use in the R-5 zoning district, but any commercial or mixed-use projects are required to follow the C-1 (Neighborhood Retail) zoning district’s yard, height and area requirements. The C-1 zoning district allows a base maximum building height of 30 feet, with up to 56 feet in height allowed with a height waiver. Because the proposed project exceeds the 30-foot height limit, a height waiver is required. Similarly, although the proposed project meets the R-5 yard and height standards for multifamily development, the commercial component triggers additional setback standards that the applicant will need to address via a subsequent variance process.

The conceptual site plan details a four-story building comprised of approximately 40,000 square feet of office space on the first floor in addition to 134 residential units dispersed throughout floors two through four. The residential entrance, leasing office and fitness center will also be located on the first floor of the building.

Open space areas for the residents will be offered on the ground level, second floor and roof deck and include landscaping, seating area, water features and a pool. The conceptual elevations depict a U-shaped building surrounding the open space areas that include the use of multiple exterior building materials and extensive glazing to ensure a high-quality design.

Access to the site is provided off two 32nd Street driveways. A drive aisle along the perimeter of the site and will provide residents and patrons access to the underground parking area, which will house the majority of the required parking for the site. A limited amount of surface parking will also be provided adjacent to the building. In order to ensure that the underground parking garage traffic is oriented away from the adjacent residential properties, a stipulation requiring a minimum 50-foot setback from the eastern property line for all garage entrances is included.

In addition to the landscaping provided in the open space areas, new vegetation will be installed along the eastern, western and southern portions of the site. A stipulation has been included to provide 3-inch caliper trees along 32nd Street in order to provide shade for pedestrians. In addition, a stipulation has also been included to provide for 3-inch caliper trees along the eastern property line to provide screening for adjacent residences.

The site is located adjacent to an established single-family residential neighborhood comprised of predominately single-story homes. In order to provide increased privacy and sensitivity to the adjacent residences, limits on the intensity of the development along the eastern property line are included. A stipulation limiting the maximum height of buildings to 36 feet within 125 feet of the eastern property line, and 48 feet elsewhere on the site, has been included to provide a gradual step-back in building height and mass. Similarly, stipulations limiting balconies and full-view windows within close proximity to the adjacent single-family residences are also included.”

Old Posted Aug 19, 2016, 4:57 PM

Great project for that area! That side of the street has some very dilapidated multi-family buildings that need to be cleaned up. I assume this is replacing one of them.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2016, 5:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXFlyer11 View Post
Great project for that area! That side of the street has some very dilapidated multi-family buildings that need to be cleaned up. I assume this is replacing one of them.
Yeah, looks like about here. Definitely looks good.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest