HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Jul 11, 2016, 10:51 PM

Dream big, Laugherty.

This guy has a different proposal every few months, none of them are developed by him, he simply gets the permits together for some grandiose project and then sells the land to someone who is potentially ready to build something at half the scale - I'm referencing 11/12 Capital Place for those of you who are new.

He indirectly owns quite a bit of the Eastlake section near the light rail tracks, much of it stuffed into various development LLCs.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2016, 5:16 AM
Skyriser

"CityCenter on the Park" is Transwestern's office building for 3rd St at the site of the 1949 Medical Center.

4 stories, 120,000 leasable square feet. What a bunch of crap.

http://www.transwestern.net/Property...4-00155d0a270e

Old Posted Jul 13, 2016, 2:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
"CityCenter on the Park" is Transwestern's office building for 3rd St at the site of the 1949 Medical Center.

I don't think its bad, an improvement really, better street interaction, north of the highway, more dense, even looks like the rendered some residential behind it at 4 stories. What's the problem?

Old Posted Jul 13, 2016, 3:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
I don't think its bad, an improvement really, better street interaction, north of the highway, more dense, even looks like the rendered some residential behind it at 4 stories. What's the problem?
I also like it.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2016, 4:07 PM

Quote:

I reviewed the brochure and looks like the current office building on 1314 North 3rd Street getting demo'ed and then 5-story residential on the other half on the block and more residential on SW Corner of 2nd St and Willeta?

http://properties.transwestern.net/L...155d0a270e.pdf

Last edited by ASU Diablo; Jul 13, 2016 at 4:26 PM.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2016, 7:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airomero83 View Post
I reviewed the brochure and looks like the current office building on 1314 North 3rd Street getting demo'ed and then 5-story residential on the other half on the block and more residential on SW Corner of 2nd St and Willeta?

http://properties.transwestern.net/L...155d0a270e.pdf
I had the same thought, looks like the current building at that location will be renovated? If they are delivering in 2017 and they haven't started construction yet then I say this isn't a new build. Then Those yellow structures lining the street look like they may be apartments.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2016, 5:56 PM

Can anyone post some photos of the current developments downtown? Specifically Roosevelt and 3rd street, Union Roosevelt, Cornish Pantry façade refurbishment on Central and Monroe, anything from Welnick Market or 1st Baptist (if exterior progress shows), Luhrs Marriott, and I guess any general improvements around the area.

It's been a while since we've been gifted of a good ole photo thread.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2016, 6:13 PM
Skyriser

Quote:
My reason for not liking it is that for the first proposed new office building in Phoenix's core in nearly a decade, it's dreadfully small at 120,000 square feet. I was going to consider something twice as big as par for the course and would have enjoyed something four times as large.

Secondly, it requires demolition of the existing office building, so the net gain of space is even smaller than that.

So in the end, it shows that developers have profoundly little faith in the office market in Central Phoenix whereas the suburbs are continuing to see action. It reinforces my concern that Phoenix peaked years ago like some Rust Belt city and has been on a longitudinal decline ever since.

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus diggus View Post
I had the same thought, looks like the current building at that location will be renovated? If they are delivering in 2017 and they haven't started construction yet then I say this isn't a new build. Then Those yellow structures lining the street look like they may be apartments.
There's no way this is a renovation. My theory is it probably doesn't require any zoning entitlements and can be built as-of-right.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2016, 7:22 PM
Skyriser

As it turns out, there's a general 65' height limit on that parcel, so maybe this project actually is a good fit for this block, but I maintain that the piddly office projects we are seeing for Phoenix's core is disheartening. I mean, they *say* they can go up to 180,000 feet so it's not even maximizing the existing zoning as it's currently proposed.

http://www.codepublishing.com/AZ/Pho...enixZ1220.html

Old Posted Jul 14, 2016, 7:54 PM

Quote:
So in the end, it shows that developers have profoundly little faith in the office market in Central Phoenix whereas the suburbs are continuing to see action. It reinforces my concern that Phoenix peaked years ago like some Rust Belt city and has been on a longitudinal decline ever since.
How in the hell can you say Phoenix is peaked like a rust belt city?

We have near record growth in the region constantly, the highest population downtown in decades???

Phoenix isn't in decline, we aren't losing people and businesses to other cities. What are you talking about.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2016, 8:02 PM

Quote:
As it turns out, there's a general 65' height limit on that parcel, so maybe this project actually is a good fit for this block, but I maintain that the piddly office projects we are seeing for Phoenix's core is disheartening. I mean, they *say* they can go up to 180,000 feet so it's not even maximizing the existing zoning as it's currently proposed.

way to backtrack there, buddy. Yes, Phoenix is in a decline because it is not building a 180,000 foot tall skyscrapper

Old Posted Jul 14, 2016, 8:40 PM
Skyriser

No sizable office development for the core in a decade despite an ostensibly booming regional economy. Even in that last decade, most of the firms that did fill up the CityScape and 1CPE towers were downtown relocations.

Midtown hasn't seen any non-residential construction in something like 25 years with the exception of that 2 or 3 story Cigna facility that replaced a *demolished* office highrise.

Case in point: Office vacancy in Phoenix is at 20%.

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/n...s-tenants.html

Lo and behold, Phoenix is worse off than *three* Rust Belt cities. No recovery since the Great Recession.

https://www.bisnow.com/national/news...84?single-page

Quote:
Originally Posted by airomero83
way to backtrack there, buddy. Yes, Phoenix is in a decline because it is not building a 180,000 foot tall skyscrapper
You should read the Transwestern brochure before you chastise people. They probably have the entitlements to build 180,000 square feet, but they're not even doing that.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2016, 8:52 PM
Modulator

Quote:
How in the hell can you say Phoenix is peaked like a rust belt city?

We have near record growth in the region constantly, the highest population downtown in decades???

Phoenix isn't in decline, we aren't losing people and businesses to other cities. What are you talking about.
It still perplexes me with all the development the Phoenix core is going through, there is still so much negativity.

As a person that lived in the rustbelt for 43 years, I can say with confidence that Phoenix has not peaked like a rustbelt city. Even Cincinnati...which is having a Downtown construction boom right now does not even have half the growth that Phoenix is going through. Louisville, Dayton, Columbus, Indy and Pittsburgh can't claim this much development activity...and I don't recall the last time these cities came close to seeing this much construction. The 70's?

When all these residential units are completed and filling up, the jobs will follow. These new residents will want to work close to home. The company's will follow when it is the right time. I expect to see more office space getting proposed in a year or so from now when the new residents are flowng in.

BTW, there is another 3 story office building planned just around the corner from the Transwestern development on McDowell. It's a small lot, but still takes up an empty space. It's these kinda projects that help fill the empty areas. Give it time. Bigger projects will happen.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2016, 8:52 PM

Quote:

Hyperbole aside I think you're on the right track. If there was such demand for huge skyscrapers full of Class A space someone would be building it.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2016, 8:57 PM

Quote:
You should read the Transwestern brochure before you chastise people. They probably have the entitlements to build 180,000 square feet, but they're not even doing that.
I stand corrected lol but still it's what the market is currently dictating. I don't think it's all doom and gloom like you say it is...sure the vacancy numbers could be better but it's definitely trending up

Old Posted Jul 15, 2016, 3:32 PM

There is a store opening in the ground floor of 12 Capitol place call Market Joe's, the sign says it's coffee and groceries.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2016, 10:13 PM
BANNED

Comments about the decline of Downtown Phoenix are just garbage. There is so much development money downtown that you do not even see yet. Buying, proposing and building in a CBD is immensely complicated. Take the notion that we haven't had a new high rise office building built in years-6 years to be exact. Do you realize that most major cities have had office building droughts in their downtown for 10-20 years! Miami for one. All those high-rises are condos. There is demand for high-rise Class A (large contiguous space) office in downtown, but the proposal on Block 23 seems like a missed opportunity because they're trying to lure tech companies rather than traditional office users. The investment downtown continues to grow. In fact someone said, near record numbers, it's well-above records in the core totally surpassing 2007. This city (and it seems like people on this forum - some that don't even live here) have a serious case of Penis envy. Time to grow up and at least acknowledge the phenomenal growth and opportunity we are currently experiencing. Or not, it's your life.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2016, 11:03 PM

dtnphx could not be more correct. I have lived in Phoenix for over 29 years. The change overall is amazing, and the change over the past 5 years is astounding. Current;y, there are so many newly completed and currently under construction housing projects. DAMN!!!!! Due to this, the amount of restaurants and other entertainment additions are incredible. The additions of hotels speaks volumes. Phoenix is thriving and I think is still on the brink of even bigger additions to DT.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2016, 11:04 PM

Does anyone know what is going on with the new Coyotes arena and or Suns? I thought there was going to be an announcement weeks ago. Sup????? - I so hope they are joined and in DT Phoenix!!!!

Old Posted Jul 15, 2016, 11:25 PM

Capitol Lofts Condo Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by gymratmanaz View Post
Does anyone know what is going on with the new Coyotes arena and or Suns? I thought there was going to be an announcement weeks ago. Sup????? - I so hope they are joined and in DT Phoenix!!!!
latest rumors suggest it will be a Coyotes/ASU partnership and the shared arena to go on the current Karsten Golf Course. But nothing final.

I think this was mentioned by Jjs months ago, looks like it continues to make progress. 5-story condo project (65 units) @ 10th Ave & Washington

http://azbex.com/phoenix-advances-ca...condo-project/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest