HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Dec 10, 2021, 4:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
I'm looking forward to the day this densification of Pembina moves north of Jubilee and replaces Royal Sports and that strip mall to the south of it. The intersection with Grant could be bulked up as well.
Yeah, Royal Sports is a good store but a tremendous waste of space. It could go into any number of smaller retail spaces.

I don't know if the owners of Royal also own the building, but I'm sure whoever owns it won't have to wait much longer for an offer they can't refuse from someone who will redevelop the site. There are many other tired one or two storey 50s-60s era buildings along that stretch that are due for redevelopment.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2021, 6:21 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

It's a shopping district around royal leave it alone We don't need to desify every square in. Having these hubs are key to cutting down on needles wasted carbon to go half way across the city all the time

Old Posted Dec 10, 2021, 6:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
It's a shopping district around royal leave it alone We don't need to desify every square in. Having these hubs are key to cutting down on needles wasted carbon to go half way across the city all the time
It's not like they'd have to move to Steinbach... there are plenty of retail storefronts within one kilometre of their current site.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2021, 7:06 PM
keep the good times going

Agreed - there is no reason to leave it as a mostly empty parking lot... There are plenty of places for businesses on Pembina and new developments could also accommodate them.

Especially once Jubilee Station gets that bridge over to pembina, as laid out in the transit master plan.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2021, 8:04 PM

Royal Sport is in an old Ford/Mercury auto dealership so that is why they have a large lot and building. This is going back in time but I believe it was Consolidated Mercury that moved there from their location on Main at Wesley and rebranded as Tara Mercury

Royal Sports to be doing OK in their other location in a smaller building near me in East Kildonan

Old Posted Dec 10, 2021, 8:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peg View Post
Agreed - there is no reason to leave it as a mostly empty parking lot... There are plenty of places for businesses on Pembina and new developments could also accommodate them.

Especially once Jubilee Station gets that bridge over to pembina, as laid out in the transit master plan.
Spitballing but they could move into something like the vacant Wildwood Sports building south of the soon-to-be-torn-down Legion building easily and instantly free up all that space for something way better. I dunno why though but I feel like I have a memory Wildwood building was already planned for ReDev, even though there is a For Lease sign on it.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2021, 9:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
Royal Sport is in an old Ford/Mercury auto dealership so that is why they have a large lot and building. This is going back in time but I believe it was Consolidated Mercury that moved there from their location on Main at Wesley and rebranded as Tara Mercury
Midtown Ford was there up until maybe 15 years ago?

I always thought Royal was an awkward fit for that site. It's a good store but they don't really take care of the building or the lot at all, it almost looks abandoned.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2021, 10:44 PM
What could go wrong?

Construction fencing for demolition up around the legion property as well now too.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Dec 11, 2021, 3:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Midtown Ford was there up until maybe 15 years ago?

I always thought Royal was an awkward fit for that site. It's a good store but they don't really take care of the building or the lot at all, it almost looks abandoned.
Thanks for reminding me of Midtown Ford's name.

I was trying to remember the name of the Ford dealer that came in after Tara Mercury closed and was drawing a blank. Midtown eventually moved out to the Waverly Auto mall and I guess that let Royal take over the old show room

Old Posted Dec 11, 2021, 6:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
Construction fencing for demolition up around the legion property as well now too.
Which legion? Where? What is going at that legion?

Old Posted Dec 11, 2021, 6:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAKGUY View Post
Which legion? Where? What is going at that legion?
6 storey apartment I believe, Windermere and Pembina south west corner

Old Posted Dec 11, 2021, 2:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borkborkbork View Post
Not sure if this has been mentioned here before, but a proposal in front of the city centre committee for the Legion site on Pembina across from the Shoppers:

82 units, 0.87 parking spots/unit, and the Pembina-facing part is the pedestrian entrance to the building and entrances to the ground level live/work units, no giant parking lot facing Pembina. Pretty good
Here’s the rendering and info found on a previous page.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2021, 7:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peg View Post

I was thinking about that on my bike ride up the glorious, cleared-to-the-pavement AT path along the RT line yesterday. Given accessibility rules these days, they wouldn't be allowed to just put a bunch of stairs to create a tall bridge over the rail line. I don't see how anything but a tunnel would work. And given there is already a bridge over Pembina adjacent to Jubilee Station, it would only make sense to put it further north at Fort Rouge Station, exiting on the other side of the tracks by McDonald's (or, if you are old, Rancho Don Carlos).
It would certainly make the RT better accessible to a whole neighborhood. I imagine the cost of digging a tunnel under a functioning rail line wouldn't be cheap though.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2021, 7:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebasketballgeek View Post
It looks quite nice, the colours especially

Old Posted Dec 13, 2021, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebasketballgeek View Post
Some one mentioned giant parking lot.. we required them to hide all parking behind to create a vibrant sidewalk environment. Same for the Pancake House site. That one, they wanted parking in front... as a compromise we said ok to a front drive aisle to serve rear parking but held our ground against front parking.

Same also for upcoming Cambridge Hotel site, although that one has some side parking.

The development and architect teams in these 3 cases were great to work with.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2021, 3:44 PM

I drove past the build site of "The Pearl" at Bishop Grandin and River... they put up a long, ugly row of billboards along Bishop with the name of seemingly every subcontractor and supplier for the project. It looks like the outfield of Shaw Park now. I hope this doesn't become a trend.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2021, 7:03 PM

1st there was advertising on NHL helmets, now there's advertising on construction fence! What's next?

Old Posted Dec 15, 2021, 11:37 PM

Ellice and Wall St, the parking lot of the former Re:Store, they are driving piles in for a suspected commercial structure. All the hallmarks of a building being built. Crane, hardhats, everything. Crazy times we live in.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2021, 3:10 AM

Former Re: store? Don't you mean former Safeway? Or did Re: store move out and I didn't notice?

Old Posted Dec 16, 2021, 3:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTA in Winnipeg View Post
Former Re: store? Don't you mean former Safeway? Or did Re: store move out and I didn't notice?
That Re-store has moved to 1565 Inkster a few years ago

There were plans year ago to put a second free standing building on the west side of the parking lot when the site was redeveloped, but that never happened so I wonder if that is finally going in. The current leasing brochure still shows that building in a drive thru configuration

https://capitalgrp.ca/wp-content/upl...llice-1081.pdf

Last edited by cllew; Dec 16, 2021 at 3:43 AM. Reason: added the leasing PDF

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan