HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Apr 18, 2023, 6:12 PM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopdx View Post
One of the last remaining parcels in 292E. 292W is already developed. There was an inquiry to transfer FAR from 292W to 292E. The inquiry was a couple years ago.

Could this signify a bit more height for a future project?
I was referencing the area north of Thurman. which I believe is currently zoned for industrial. But with how much that area has changed, I could see that changing in the future too. That would probably be a good area for allowing taller buildings.

Then there is The Squish, which would be awesome to see some tall buildings over there.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2023, 9:25 PM
Registered Ugly

Quote:
I especially like how the Slabtown area is providing a link from the 23rd/21st area to the Pearl District. It's a great walking area and if the weather becomes nasty one can always run into REI and steal a parka or two.
Not for long.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2023, 9:43 PM
BANNED

Quote:
I especially like how the Slabtown area is providing a link from the 23rd/21st area to the Pearl District. It's a great walking area and if the weather becomes nasty one can always run into REI and steal a parka or two.
According to some folks on this forum it’s not the stealing that REI left lol

Old Posted Apr 18, 2023, 10:46 PM

^The REI discussion has already overtaken two threads. Please refrain from further discussion about REI (and the off handed remarks) in any threads outside of those two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
I was referencing the area north of Thurman. which I believe is currently zoned for industrial. But with how much that area has changed, I could see that changing in the future too. That would probably be a good area for allowing taller buildings.

Then there is The Squish, which would be awesome to see some tall buildings over there.
What is "The Squish"?

Old Posted Apr 19, 2023, 11:01 PM

Location: Portland (part-time); warm foreign countries (part-time)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDaMan View Post
^The REI discussion has already overtaken two threads. Please refrain from further discussion about REI (and the off handed remarks) in any threads outside of those two.

What is "The Squish"?
I first saw The Squish on some early planning documents for the proposed extension of Portland Streetcar to Montgomery Park. It referenced an underdeveloped area roughly in north Pearl and east of the Conway blocks. I do not think The Squish makes any sense as a place name.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2023, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMH View Post
I first saw The Squish on some early planning documents for the proposed extension of Portland Streetcar to Montgomery Park. It referenced an underdeveloped area roughly in north Pearl and east of the Conway blocks. I do not think The Squish makes any sense as a place name.
Thanks! I hope the name doesn't catch on. But it does make me smile when I say it.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2023, 5:41 AM
A before E

Quote:
Thanks! I hope the name doesn't catch on. But it does make me smile when I say it.
But it needs to catch on, it could be Portland's DUMBO. A chic industrial/residential district that all the hip people brag about being in. The Squish!

Old Posted Apr 21, 2023, 5:53 AM

Dennis, you literally make me LOL .

I'd think referencing the nearby thousands acres Forest Park would be a bigger draw.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2023, 6:17 AM
A before E

Quote:
Dennis, you literally make me LOL .

I'd think referencing the nearby thousands acres Forest Park would be a bigger draw.
Forest Park is amazing, I just enjoy when ridiculous names like that catch on for districts.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2023, 6:24 AM

^If we we're back in the aughts the new district would probably be named FoPa. Which is honestly the best!

Old Posted Apr 21, 2023, 7:37 PM
A before E

Quote:
^If we we're back in the aughts the new district would probably be named FoPa. Which is honestly the best!
Forest Park is too far from The Squish. The boundaries of this hip, new district is here.
[IMG][/IMG]

Old Posted Apr 21, 2023, 8:04 PM

Quote:
Former Amaro Bar Solo Club Reopens With Tropical Cocktails and Tapas
Teardrop Lounge alumnus David Rodriguez has shifted the focus of the bar toward Latin American and Caribbean ingredients, including house cordials and fruit juices

Slabtown’s amaro bar Solo Club, often seen as the unofficial “waiting room” for Besaw’s next door, has reopened under new ownership after two years closed. David Rodriguez, an alumnus of lauded cocktail bar Teardrop Lounge, created the bar program, shifting the focus away from amaro and toward balanced drinks with Latin American and Caribbean ingredients.

Much of Rodriguez’s approach to the menu relies on house syrups and cordials. For example, the Cosmopolitan swaps the cranberry juice for a house-made cranberry cordial, using whole cranberries, orange liqueur, and a spritz of orange blossom. By using the liqueur in lieu of a typical sweetener, Rodriguez reins in the saccharine nature of the cocktail, incorporating the floral notes of orange blossom. House ginger syrup appears in a number of drinks, including ‘El Diablo,’ a tequila highball — the syrup adds a hit of heat to play off the mellower note of black currant.

Rodriguez stocked the bar’s shelves with Latin American and Caribbean spirits, and many drinks incorporate fruit juices, giving the menu a tropical bent. For instance, bartenders spike a horchata-coffee cocktail with Haitian rum and aged tequila, and pair a rum and vermouth cocktail with a piña colada-esque blend of coconut and pineapple. Many drinks rely on spirits like rum, tequila, and mezcal; however, visitors will also spot things like a bourbon-ginger and an American Trilogy, as well as tiki drinks like a Jungle Bird.
...continues at Eater Portland.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Apr 28, 2023, 4:16 PM

Last undeveloped block?

Old Posted Apr 28, 2023, 8:51 PM

I thought that there had already been a proposal for that block, either a hotel or maybe senior living? In any case, glad there's some movement.

Anyone have any thoughts/inside info on the Thesis office that's going up at 24th and Savier? Blows my mind that anyone is building office space rn...

Old Posted Apr 28, 2023, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvpcvm View Post
Anyone have any thoughts/inside info on the Thesis office that's going up at 24th and Savier? Blows my mind that anyone is building office space rn...
Yeah, the Thesis building is coming along nicely. They've been growing big, fast, so it doesn't suprise me they still went forward with the new build.

Old Posted May 1, 2023, 7:28 PM

I believe that 2169 NW Thurman St is also within the master plan boundaries, so I think that would be the final block.

Old Posted May 1, 2023, 10:21 PM

Location: Portland (part-time); warm foreign countries (part-time)
Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
I believe that 2169 NW Thurman St is also within the master plan boundaries, so I think that would be the final block.
It appears that you are correct. See the map in the following link:

https://us-browse.startpage.com/av/a...f00ab866a8b4fb

Old Posted May 15, 2023, 5:29 PM

Old Posted May 15, 2023, 7:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
Last block to be developed from the master plan, correct? Ignoring the park. With how fast these folks move, this will prob break ground relatively soon after working through permit process. Great to see.

Old Posted May 15, 2023, 7:59 PM

Penultimate (see discussion above).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland