HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Mar 17, 2022, 5:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMKeynes View Post
St. Patrick was actually Italian. He was born to Roman parents living in the Roman province of Britain.

It's a true multicultural event: an Italian, born in Britain to Roman parents, who proselytized in Ireland about a famous Jew.
St. Patrick was from a Romanized family, but that doesn't mean he was "ethnically Roman." Romans weren't big on the whole idea of ethnicity by blood anyway.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2022, 8:28 PM

There's an Irish diaspora thread too.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2022, 8:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docere View Post
Jewish vote, AP Votecast Survey (2020):

Massachusetts 85-14 D
California 82-18 D
Connecticut 80-19 D
Maryland 79-20 D
Illinois 77-20 D
Pennsylvania 72-26 D
New Jersey 70-30 D
New York 58-41 D
Florida 56-43 D
Mostly lines up with what I'd expect with New England and the West Coast being the most liberal, NY more conservative. Florida I guess has a more conservative political culture.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2022, 9:13 PM

Quote:
Mostly lines up with what I'd expect with New England and the West Coast being the most liberal, NY more conservative. Florida I guess has a more conservative political culture.
Wealth + Orthodox + Israelis + Russians = greater Republican voting

I imagine the more Dem-voting regions are more secular and more American.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2022, 4:54 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
Wealth + Orthodox + Israelis + Russians = greater Republican voting

I imagine the more Dem-voting regions are more secular and more American.
yeah, that seems about right here in chicagoland. we have a two significant orthodox communities, one more urban and centered in west ridge, and the other more suburban and centered up in northbrook, but the orthodox jews in chicagoland are a relatively small percentage compared against the legions of reform/secular jews who tend to be light years more mainstream and lean HEAVILY blue.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Mar 18, 2022 at 7:26 PM.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2022, 5:55 PM

In states where the Jewish population largely lives in affluent blue-trending suburbs, like Chicago's North Shore or Philadelphia's Main Line, they're very Democratic. A generation ago, Jewish liberal voting patterns stood out but now their voting patterns is similar to their non-Jewish neighbors.

In the 1970s the statement that "Jews earn like Episcopalians and vote like Puerto Ricans" was quite apt. Today Episcopalians (or their non-affiliated children and grandchildren) are voting more like Jews.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2022, 6:01 PM

And Episcopalians are living with Jews. A generation ago, affluent secular-leaning Jews often lived in favored-quarter adjacent enclaves, with WASPs still predominating in the favored quarter.

Nowadays the lines are blurred. So West Bloomfield, MI is becoming less Jewish, while blueblood adjacent Bloomfield Hills, MI is becoming more Jewish.

In the NY area, Rye, Larchmont and Greenwich, all affluent, WASPy shorefront communities, with their grand Episcopalian and Presbyterian churches, have steadily grown more Jewish.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2022, 6:10 PM

Toronto's Jewish community followed a similar pattern. The Jewish corridor, centered on Bathurst St., lies just west of the traditional WASP favored quarter, centered along Yonge St. and North Toronto. Forest Hill is the wealthy Jewish district that connects the favored quarter and Jewish sector.

Last edited by Docere; Mar 18, 2022 at 11:00 PM.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2022, 7:20 PM

The part of LA that does give off a bit of a "Jewish vibe":

https://twitter.com/el_tragon_de_LA/...63869325148160

Old Posted Mar 20, 2022, 9:24 PM

Quote:
The part of LA that does give off a bit of a "Jewish vibe":

https://twitter.com/el_tragon_de_LA/...63869325148160
Ya Think?

Old Posted Mar 21, 2022, 12:10 PM

Quote:
In Westchester and Fairfield Counties, Jews avoid some towns like the plague (e.g., Bronxville, Rye, Larchmont, New Canaan).
I know in the case of New Canaan, there were originally restrictive covenants which barred any homeowner from selling to a Jew. I wouldn't be surprised if this was the case elsewhere as well, that it's an echo of open exclusion of the past.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2022, 10:54 PM

Old Posted Mar 21, 2022, 11:02 PM

Larchmont and Rye have pretty sizable Jewish populations at this point. Larchmont/Rye, regardless of cultural lineage, are full of the "rootless cosmopolitans" that folks like Steve Bannon love to rant about. And New Canaan has some (certainly more than Darien, its Uber-WASP rival).

Bronxville, absolutely not. Still WASP. I thought Pelham-Pelham Manor was about as WASP as neighboring Bronxville, but looks like there's a (tiny) Pelham synagogue. But Pelham is more Catholics who are culturally Protestant, if that makes sense. Kind of a Bronxville lite, and with lower prices.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2022, 11:21 PM

The wealthy Catholic enclaves lack the cultural liberalism of WASP and secular Jewish suburbs and are quite politically conservative. WASPs used to be more conservative but have been liberalizing and are repulsed by the populist/Trumpist turn of the GOP.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2022, 6:06 PM

I can't actually think of many wealthy Catholic enclaves TBH. White Catholics tend to be skewed more lower-middle class overall, and don't really stick together in "Catholic neighborhoods."

People from a Catholic background who "make it" to professional class are often lapsed, and even when not, it's not like they settle in Catholic areas - they live where Jews, WASPs, and "nones" also congregate.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2022, 6:30 PM

Quote:
Once again, another absurd generalization which manifests prejudice toward Catholics.

The dog whistles in this thread are blatant. Do you have any idea how offensive the following comment is: "People from a Catholic background who 'make it' to professional class..." If someone stereotyped Jews to the extent that you, Docere, and others do vis-a-vis "Catholic ethnics," there would be considerable uproar.
I actually am myself from a Catholic background so I didn't think I was engaging in any stereotyping here. This is my direct experience. Half of my friends growing up were from Catholic backgrounds (everyone who wasn't a Jew - most of them Italian). None of them are observant now, and none live in "Catholic" neighborhoods." Catholic neighborhoods - which have a self-identified Catholic identity (as opposed to an ethnic identity which also happens to be Catholic, like Irish, Polish, Italian, or French Canadian) simply don't exist.

There are areas where it's very common to be a Catholic. National studies have suggested the most "White Catholic" areas include the Scranton MSA, the South Shore of Massachusetts, and parts of Cajun country. None of those areas are particularly wealthy though.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2022, 6:50 PM
devout Pizzatarian

^ according to that link, cook county has more "white catholics" (16%) than "white mainliners" (7%), "white evangelicals" (5%), and "jews" (3%), combined.

now, none of those percentages are very high on their own, but that's just because cook county is HUGE and quite racially diverse, "white" anything in cook county will never register terribly high.

but pretty much anywhere in cook county where there is an abundance of white people, a healthy amount of them will be "catholic", even in stuffy old "upper class" wealthy burbs like Winnetka.

"white catholics" are kinda like the default "background noise" of chicagoland, as i suspect they are in other euro-immigrant heavy cities.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Mar 22, 2022 at 7:07 PM.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2022, 6:50 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I actually am myself from a Catholic background so I didn't think I was engaging in any stereotyping here. This is my direct experience. Half of my friends growing up were from Catholic backgrounds (everyone who wasn't a Jew - most of them Italian). None of them are observant now, and none live in "Catholic" neighborhoods." Catholic neighborhoods - which have a self-identified Catholic identity (as opposed to an ethnic identity which also happens to be Catholic, like Irish, Polish, Italian, or French Canadian) simply don't exist.

There are areas where it's very common to be a Catholic. National studies have suggested the most "White Catholic" areas include the Scranton MSA, the South Shore of Massachusetts, and parts of Cajun country. None of those areas are particularly wealthy though.
Regardless of your background, your statement is purportedly based on your limited experience, and, therefore, lacks any substantive foundation. It's also offensive. One of my best friends is Jewish, and he routinely describes Jews as cheap, pushy, and obnoxious. His heritage does not make his statements acceptable. They're offensive generalizations that are not proper merely because he, himself, is a Jew.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2022, 7:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
^ according to that link, cook county has more "white catholics" (16%) than "white mainliners" (7%), "white evangelicals" (5%), and "jews" (3%), combined.

now, none of those percentages are very high on their own, but that's just because cook county is HUGE and quite racially diverse, "white" anything in cook county will never register terribly high.

but pretty much anywhere in cook county where there is an abundance of white people, a healthy amount of them will be "catholic", even in stuffy old "upper class" burbs like Winnetka.

"white catholics" are kinda like the default "background noise" of chicagoland, as i suspect they are in other euro-immigrant heavy cities.
Yeah, I'm not denying that upscale white Catholics exist, but I am denying that upscale white Catholic neighborhoods exist. I grew up in New England - one of the most Catholic regions of the country - and I can't think of a single one. And to the extent there is any sort of residual "Catholic identity" (which stopped meaning anything 50 years ago) it's much more a holdover from the days that white Catholics were mostly working class and the pillars of the local labor movement, as opposed to the WASPs, who were probably management.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2022, 7:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I can't actually think of many wealthy Catholic enclaves TBH. White Catholics tend to be skewed more lower-middle class overall, and don't really stick together in "Catholic neighborhoods."
A lot of (culturally) WASP towns are heavily Catholic nowadays. So places like Manhasset, LI, or Westfield, NJ, or Ridgewood, NJ probably fit the bill.

Places with WASP legacies, few Jews, professional class suburbs. The grandest church in town is probably Episcopal, but the busiest mass is probably Catholic.

In the tri-state area, any not-particularly Jewish high(er) income town will probably be heavily Catholic.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions