HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Apr 15, 2021, 6:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericmacm View Post
From the Regina forum section, highly preliminary render of a planned arena to replace the 6,484-seat Brandt Centre, located close to Mosaic Stadium. Past news articles indicate that Pats' ownership wants to pursue a larger arena so it can attract more major events that the current arena cannot accommodate, as well as delivering an "NHL experience".

Source video, timestamp @ 26:48.
There was a bit of discussion about this arena on the Rod Pedersen Show today (it's out of Regina for those who aren't familiar). Pedersen didn't come right out and say it, but he implied that one of the project proponents told him that they're aiming pretty high here. Apparently the minimum capacity for a NLL team is in the 14,000ish range and they'd be looking to meet that standard.

Take it with a grain of salt if you want, but Regina is looking at a pretty big upgrade from the Brandt Centre.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2021, 7:16 PM
Community Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
You leave Ottawa out of this!!!

You picked up what I was putting down

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Apr 19, 2021, 3:09 PM

Old Posted Apr 19, 2021, 4:15 PM

It actually looks like a large car dealership.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2021, 4:48 PM

That second photo of the side is not great, but from head on it is awesome. In terms of purpose-built junior rinks (i.e. excluding arenas shared with NHL/NBA teams) this is pretty much as good as it's going to get in terms of design.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2021, 4:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denscity View Post
It actually looks like a large car dealership.
That side faces a train track, the RapiBus (BRT) and an 4 to 8 lane suburban boulevard, so I'm not too concerned about that particular angle.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ga...!4d-75.7012723

The better side faces an urban plaza in front of a Federal office building, within the suburban town centre area.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ga...!4d-75.7012723

Old Posted Apr 19, 2021, 5:02 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
In terms of purpose-built junior rinks (i.e. excluding arenas shared with NHL/NBA teams) this is pretty much as good as it's going to get in terms of design.
Are we sure about this?

Avenir Centre (Moncton)

CBC

Budweiser Gardens (London)

Pollstar

Old Posted Apr 19, 2021, 6:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
Are we sure about this?
I'd say so. I would say those two that you posted may be comparable in terms of quality, but not necessarily better.

Of course, I realize that I'm probably more fond of that glass box design than most people. It reminds me a bit of another junior rink, the Veterans Memorial Coliseum in Portland. The Centre Slush Puppie is obviously a lot smaller, but some of the design cues are similar.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2021, 9:11 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post

Budweiser Gardens (London)
John Labatt Centre was such a classy name.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2021, 9:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Totally agree.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2021, 9:22 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
That second photo of the side is not great, but from head on it is awesome. In terms of purpose-built junior rinks (i.e. excluding arenas shared with NHL/NBA teams) this is pretty much as good as it's going to get in terms of design.
Maybe not "best in class" but definitely pretty good looking. I actually biked right by where those pictures were taken earlier today.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2021, 10:44 PM

Quote:
I don't mind how it looks just that it doesn't look like an arena.
I do like that glass.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2021, 11:15 PM

All that glass looks good, but other than that, it's just a grey rectangle. Don't know how much more it would have cost to give it some curves or unique angles. I prefer the other two arenas for having some substance other than grey panels and glass.

Kind of reminds me of the YUM Center in Louisville when I visited there 1.5 years ago. Of course, that's more of a major arena and it has glass on three sides.

https://wishurhere.wordpress.com/201...-kentucky-usa/

Old Posted Apr 20, 2021, 12:14 AM

I'm actually preferable to the other side of Budweiser Gardens, with the replicated streetscape, below.

I also preferred the old name and still sometimes say JLC, but I'm not terribly bothered by the newer name. Many people here mistakenly thought the city named the arena John Labatt Centre, and then sold the naming rights later, when in fact it was Labatt's who named it JLC as their original naming rights deal. I think it's up for renewal in the next year. Also, was interesting back then that the internet sleuths found the domain registration for rogerscentre.com and immediately assumed this was for the London arena. Interesting that that happened a few years before the Skydome actually changed it's name.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2021, 1:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by megadude View Post
Kind of reminds me of the YUM Center in Louisville when I visited there 1.5 years ago. Of course, that's more of a major arena and it has glass on three sides.
There is a bit of a resemblance with KFC Yum! for sure. But that said, I think less can be more. I would give credit to the architects of the Gatineau rink for taking a restrained approach when going for the gaudy 'look at me' gimmicks would have been pretty tempting with a building like that.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2021, 1:21 AM

Saskatoon City Council is continuing down a path towards a new arena and convention centre within a new Downtown entertainment district. Motions were tabled today for City admin to begin preparing a detailed funding plan. This follows previous direction to begin the site selection process, which is currently underway.

Council committee digs into report on funding options for downtown arena

The City hasn't yet released a shortlist of viable site options, nor a preferred option, saying that negotiations with landowners are continuing. A local architect stirred up conversation on the topic a year ago by releasing a map with his own speculation on possible sites.:

Saskatoon architect sparks discussion with ideas for where new arena should go

Old Posted Apr 20, 2021, 4:28 PM

Quote:
I'd say so. I would say those two that you posted may be comparable in terms of quality, but not necessarily better.

Of course, I realize that I'm probably more fond of that glass box design than most people. It reminds me a bit of another junior rink, the Veterans Memorial Coliseum in Portland. The Centre Slush Puppie is obviously a lot smaller, but some of the design cues are similar.

I honestly really like this building you posted. Reminds me in a way of the old wpg airport. But the views from the inside concourse must be amazing.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2021, 10:45 PM
Go Tall or Go Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
Saskatoon City Council is continuing down a path towards a new arena and convention centre within a new Downtown entertainment district. Motions were tabled today for City admin to begin preparing a detailed funding plan. This follows previous direction to begin the site selection process, which is currently underway.

Council committee digs into report on funding options for downtown arena

The City hasn't yet released a shortlist of viable site options, nor a preferred option, saying that negotiations with landowners are continuing. A local architect stirred up conversation on the topic a year ago by releasing a map with his own speculation on possible sites.:

Saskatoon architect sparks discussion with ideas for where new arena should go
1 or 2 look prime.
Go Stoon!

Old Posted Apr 21, 2021, 11:53 PM
Community Guy

2 or 4 for me

1 should be left for residential/cultural and 3 does not provide enough opportunity in my opinion.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Apr 22, 2021, 1:35 AM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I still call it the Labatt Centre. The 1995 takeover by AB InBev has been a disaster for the once proud and dominant brand. Over the last 26 years, they've purposely run the Labatt brand into the ground in favour of 'Budweiser'.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada