HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest

Old Posted Apr 12, 2021, 4:09 PM
TL;DR

I think it is pointing south; the photo is looking at the back side of the dish, but because it's transparent mesh you can see through it.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2021, 5:25 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

ah you might be right! what an optical illusion...

Old Posted Apr 22, 2021, 2:47 PM

Maybe someone here can add some landscaping recommendation. A few of us in my condo building want to landscape the avenue parkway. The tall ash trees with shallow roots make grass impossible. It only grows in the areas in sunshine. What is the low ground cover plant I see in the shade seemingly everywhere in Chicago? I'm looking for a shrub that will ultimately spread over the whole area and I might add some edging or paver blocks. CDOT came through and re-did a bunch of walks and our driveway for free, so I feel comfortable moving forward with a large landscaping project since the ROW won't be disturbed for some time.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2021, 3:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizzo View Post
Maybe someone here can add some landscaping recommendation. A few of us in my condo building want to landscape the avenue parkway. The tall ash trees with shallow roots make grass impossible. It only grows in the areas in sunshine. What is the low ground cover plant I see in the shade seemingly everywhere in Chicago? I'm looking for a shrub that will ultimately spread over the whole area and I might add some edging or paver blocks. CDOT came through and re-did a bunch of walks and our driveway for free, so I feel comfortable moving forward with a large landscaping project since the ROW won't be disturbed for some time.
My parents have had English Ivy as ground cover for years in their shady backyard. Keep in mind it does require regular trimming with a weed wacker to maintain an even-ish height and to avoid creeping up any nearby vertical surfaces so however your HOA handles landscaping that will need to be included.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2021, 3:49 PM
Small but Mighty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizzo View Post
I know this sounds a bit cliche sometimes, but do try and find something that's native. It'll do so much better than something non-native. I'd recommend Wild Ginger. Definitely do some research on native ground covers. English Ivy is highly invasive.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2021, 4:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonsai Tree View Post
I know this sounds a bit cliche sometimes, but do try and find something that's native. It'll do so much better than something non-native. I'd recommend Wild Ginger. Definitely do some research on native ground covers. English Ivy is highly invasive.
Wow, I had no idea--and after looking at pictures I would say wild ginger is a more attractive ground cover, anyway.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2021, 3:06 AM

Plant hostas, they will eventually kill off everything including any wayward dogs or children that venture into their pen.

Also put some wild violets in there, they are also extremely aggressive and will choke off other plants.

Reddit.com/r/REbubble

Old Posted Apr 23, 2021, 7:05 AM
Small but Mighty

^^^ If it's not too shady, wild violets are definitely a great suggestion.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2021, 5:03 PM

Lol thanks everyone. Just looking for something low maintenance. It’s a self managed building so pretty much everyone is responsible for keeping the outside looking nice and maintaining all the common areas

Old Posted Apr 26, 2021, 8:13 PM
Cap ou pas cap?

This is addressed in the census 2020 thread, but Illinois did much better than expected on the 2020 census. The loss since 2010 was only 18k vs. ~200k expected loss. I’m betting the city shows sizable increases once city-level data is published.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2021, 9:19 PM
Small but Mighty

Quote:
Originally Posted by jboy560 View Post
This is addressed in the census 2020 thread, but Illinois did much better than expected on the 2020 census. The loss since 2010 was only 18k vs. ~200k expected loss. I’m betting the city shows sizable increases once city-level data is published.
As I said in the census thread, I'd say most of the population losses actually occurred outside of the metro area. There will probably be losses in the south and west sides, but with how undercounted the census estimates were I doubt that'll be too much of an issue for the city. Probably still a modest increase though. I'd find it hard to believe if Rockford, Peoria, Danville, and the far south of the state don't lose some population.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2021, 2:13 AM
devout Pizzatarian

The prospect that chicagoland might've actually gained 100 - 200K thanks to the census bureau's woefully incorrect estimates for the state as a whole is quite interesting.

Can't wait for those county numbers to be released.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2021, 11:32 AM
The City

^ What about Chicago city proper? I hope we see a gain but.....who knows?

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Apr 27, 2021, 2:08 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ What about Chicago city proper? I hope we see a gain but.....who knows?
That'd be nice, but I'm not expecting much growth from the city proper. With continued black flight, the city will be doing good just stay even with 2010.

But if the metro area overall grew by 100K+, that would certainly start to change the current narrative about chicagoland.

Hell, even just the fact that IL only lost 18,000, instead of the predicted quarter of a million people, changes the story about this state. "The Great IL Exodus" ended up not being anywhere remotely close to as dire as the headlines were having us believe for the past decade.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Apr 27, 2021 at 2:20 PM.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2021, 2:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
That'd be nice, but I'm not expecting much growth from the city proper. With continued black flight, the city will be doing good just stay even with 2010.

But if the metro area overall grew by 100K+, that would certainly start to change the current narrative about chicagoland.
I wouldn't be surprised if the state's loss is attributed to black flight. Most of the state might have managed meager to modest growth, while the south and west side of the city and adjacent suburbs got pummeled.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2021, 2:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viachicago
definitely some interesting little bits and pieces of rehabs in N Lawndale. i dont think you would have seen something like this 10 years ago (whether it will get whats its asking is one question and cant say im a fan of the black brick trend thats seemingly now the default way for developers to signal "we gut rehabbed a brick building everyone!", but...)

https://www.redfin.com/IL/Chicago/30.../home/13232464
Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
This place is an atrocity, they stripped the brick clean only to paint it black. Idiots... Also it will never sell, there isn't a single comp within a mile of it, it will never appraise out.
figured id see what was up with this listing after a couple weeks. its contingent ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Old Posted Apr 27, 2021, 5:56 PM
The City

^ Damn, that house looks like it's right out of the film Beetlejuice

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Apr 27, 2021, 6:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiMIchael View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if the state's loss is attributed to black flight. Most of the state might have managed meager to modest growth, while the south and west side of the city and adjacent suburbs got pummeled.
I doubt the decrease in the number of black Chicagoans is as bad as it had been made out to be given the numbers for the state are nowhere near where they'd been played up to be, but we should absolutely staunch the bleeding and continue to dismantle the systemic barriers that prevent black and brown households from partaking in the best the city has to offer.

A lot of black and brown households don't feel welcome or accepted in primarily white neighborhoods and will move out of state (ATL or TX) rather than move to the suburbs or historically white neighborhoods in the city. That's entirely attributable to this city's well documented history with segregation and subsequent covert approach to racism following desegregation.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2021, 7:26 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishIllini View Post
I doubt the decrease in the number of black Chicagoans is as bad as it had been made out to be given the numbers for the state are nowhere near where they'd been played up to be,
Oh yeah, good call.

Maybe the city will see some modest growth.

I can't wait until we get the county and municipal level data.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2021, 7:53 PM

I remember in the last Census, Rahm went heavily for a recount but the Census wouldn't let him. The city had stated that there were entire swaths of land where the census takers didn't really go to much and were very undercounted. From what I understand, the state this time around invested a bit more into making sure they counted everyone. The media is still playing up the losing population part which is expected. But the part about how the Census estimated a quarter million person loss but its only 18k for the state? Nope. Thats actually a crazy difference and to be off for. Not sure if the city will have lost population but if it gained population, well I'm sure the headlines will still be how it lags every other city or something

This is shaping up to be interesting perhaps. Maybe It'll teach people as well to take population estimates with a grain of salt at times.

Last edited by marothisu; Apr 28, 2021 at 1:21 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest