HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Yesterday, 5:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeet1991 View Post
Do you mean 555 Eastlake, the residential tower? I think that's the building that had the event in June 23. The office building was expected to get underway this summer-ish?
Yes... I do mean 555 Eastlake.
Thankyou for clarifying!!

Old Posted Yesterday, 5:48 PM
Peddling to progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by phone View Post
Thank you. Am I the only one who finds this plan underwhelming? It feels tacked onto the fringe of a well-established location, and seems vulnerable to not really being able to generate its own sense of place.
Quote:
Originally Posted by phone View Post
Totally agree, especially about how this scheme has all taken place apparently without a whole lot of civic involvement. I don't recall seeing much if anything related to the Polytech relocation in any committee reports or meeting minutes. It seems to have taken place as a deal between SaskPoly and the U of S, bypassing the City altogether. But I could well be mistaken.
First, I don't think any civic engagement is required for the relocation. Yes, it would be nice if Polytech had consulted various stakeholder groups but it isn't necessary. I am no expert, but I imagine the only roundabout way for the public to have a voice in this issue, is to cause a stink with the provincial government which maybe has some input with the University's land uses?

As for this being a fringe location, it may seem borderline rural today thanks to the proximity of the University's research lands, but it will not be in the future. Under the University's Vision 2057 plan, all of the endowment lands to the north of the existing campus will be developed into multi-use communities in the coming decades, including the parcel bounded by the CPR tracks, Preston Crossing, Circle Drive, and the river; the parcel bounded by Circle , Central Ave, Peturrson's Ravine, and the river; and a small parcel bounded by Somers Road, Pobran Crescent, Fedoruk Road, and Central.

As noted in this City of Saskatoon report:

Quote:
The Growth Plan and Vision 2057 both outlined a population target of approximately 50,000 people within the University Sector Plan area, at full build-out. This target represents a higher planned density level than any other neighbourhood or area within the city.
The density of the University sector at full build-out would be 12,750 people per square kilometre. For context, the population density of the entire city is only 1,175 people per square kilometre and the densest neighbourhoods don't hold a candle to the University sector plan (Nutana: ~3,400; Downtown: ~2,600; City Park: ~3,200; Pleasant Hill: ~3,700). And while the densest portion of development at 15,400 people per square kilometre is slated to be the parcel bounded by Circle Drive, 14th, Preston, and College Drive, the second-densest portion at 14,500 people per square kilometre is the parcel directly north of the planned Polytechnic campus.

I can see why you would think Innovation Place is a fringe location, especially compared to Polytechnic's current home. But in about 50 years I think the intersection of Preston and College may well be the "centre" of Saskatoon aside from downtown. First, this intersection is already essentially the crossroads of the east side where Saskatoon is growing fastest (think Brighton, Stonebridge, Rosewood, Evergreen, etc.). Second, the College BRT line is supposed to split at this intersection, with one branch headed north along Preston and Attridge to University Heights and another headed south along Preston then east along 8th. This split would make the Stadium station a major transfer point. Third, the "Blue Line" is planned to travel north along Preston to 8th where it would turn west. This means there will initially be a continuous BRT corridor all along Preston from Stonebridge to University Heights, but the corridor will be served by three separate lines. Therefore, if Saskatoon were to ever establish a radial rapid transit line that does not pass through downtown, Preston would be the obvious candidate. This would put the campus smack dab in the middle of said radial line.

To clarify, I am not necessarily in favour of the relocation. I think the move is essentially a divestment of Saskatoon's core communities, many of which sorely need the tenants for their rental properties, jobs for their residents, and customers for the businesses that the current campus and its student base provide. But rather than think about this move as further sprawl, think about it as the first step in the most transformational infill development Saskatoon will ever see.

Old Posted Yesterday, 8:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerHaight View Post
To clarify, I am not necessarily in favour of the relocation. I think the move is essentially a divestment of Saskatoon's core communities, many of which sorely need the tenants for their rental properties, jobs for their residents, and customers for the businesses that the current campus and its student base provide. But rather than think about this move as further sprawl, think about it as the first step in the most transformational infill development Saskatoon will ever see.
I agree with your thoughts about the future, but my primary concern is the divestment you suggest for the core that needs to be addressed. I come from a 'rustbelt' city that had similar divestment in the core as people/businesses moved to less costly 'suburb' locations (or failed despite being 'too big to fail'. The neighourhoods never recovered from this... there was no one to step in to fill the void left and it was not appealing to any business interests. Some of the larger US cities with similar issues are FINALLY recovering, but the less populous cities still suffer.

Thus, the city and province MUST have a plan (and funding) for the current campus lands/buildings BEFORE moving to the new location. That is just prudent planning. Maybe there is already a plan that we plebs are not privy to... in SK this seems to be the way, unfortunately.

Old Posted Yesterday, 10:56 PM
Peddling to progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overklll View Post
I agree with your thoughts about the future, but my primary concern is the divestment you suggest for the core that needs to be addressed. I come from a 'rustbelt' city that had similar divestment in the core as people/businesses moved to less costly 'suburb' locations (or failed despite being 'too big to fail'. The neighourhoods never recovered from this... there was no one to step in to fill the void left and it was not appealing to any business interests. Some of the larger US cities with similar issues are FINALLY recovering, but the less populous cities still suffer.

Thus, the city and province MUST have a plan (and funding) for the current campus lands/buildings BEFORE moving to the new location. That is just prudent planning. Maybe there is already a plan that we plebs are not privy to... in SK this seems to be the way, unfortunately.
White flight to the suburbs and the decline of rustbelt cities due to offshoring of manufacturing isn't a perfect 1:1 comparison, since in this case SaskPoly will be staying in the city. Also, it's not like PolyTech is moving to Stonebridge or Rosewood or Evergreen, which essentially function as the higher income suburbs of the city. Sure, the move may be a boon for the new housing I referred to in my earlier post, but the established neighbourhoods closest to the new campus will be Sutherland and City Park, which are hardly upper crust neighbourhoods.

Maybe I am not creative enough, but I am not sure what alternative commercial/industrial use would find a home on the current campus. I suppose large swaths of the Central Industrial may sit dormant until a developer with deep pockets is sufficiently motivated to redevelop the whole thing into a new mixed-use community?

Old Posted Today, 3:43 PM

Proposed east side leisure centre will look much like Shaw Centre, says Saskatoon councillor

by Scott Larson · CBC News · Posted: Apr 23, 2024 12:38 PM CDT | Last Updated: April 23

A leisure centre being planned for Saskatoon's east side Brighton neighbourhood will look a lot like the west side's Shaw Centre, says Ward 10 Coun. Zach Jeffries.

"We're going to be designing a joint-use facility, basically an east side Shaw Centre, that allows us to start our planning, going to the public and talking about what leisure and recreation facilities [will] look like," said Jeffries.

The province has committed to building two high schools attached to the centre.

[........]

Read more:
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saska...ntre-1.7182031

Old Posted Today, 4:38 PM

555 Eastlake Ave - 403 12th Street E

Details regarding this proposed development can be found on the city's engagement web page. Here is the link.

https://www.saskatoon.ca/engage/555-...th-street-east

There is something seriously wrong at City Hall when you look at the time line.

The city wants more infill yet this project was proposed in the spring of 2022 and a final decision won't be made by the city until Q2 of 2024. That's over 2 years. What a joke.

Old Posted Today, 5:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerHaight View Post
Maybe I am not creative enough, but I am not sure what alternative commercial/industrial use would find a home on the current campus. I suppose large swaths of the Central Industrial may sit dormant until a developer with deep pockets is sufficiently motivated to redevelop the whole thing into a new mixed-use community?
This is exactly why the City and province should have a plan and funds set aside for the redevelopment. If the $500M budget to move is real, putting 5-10% of that amount into rejuvenation of the current campus area seems prudent.

The City should push the province and USask to reserve some funding to support some sort of development. Not sure what that would be either, maybe the idea of social services above is a good option. Waiting a lifetime for a developer with deep pockets is not a strategy, it is a cop out. We have enough dormant land in the city's core as it is.

Old Posted Today, 7:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter12 View Post
Details regarding this proposed development can be found on the city's engagement web page. Here is the link.

https://www.saskatoon.ca/engage/555-...th-street-east

There is something seriously wrong at City Hall when you look at the time line.

The city wants more infill yet this project was proposed in the spring of 2022 and a final decision won't be made by the city until Q2 of 2024. That's over 2 years. What a joke.
I wouldn't necessarily say it's the city holding things up here. Having worked with a lot of developers, I've spent a lot of time waiting for the developer or various consultants to actually get stuff together to submit.

I don't know if that the case here, for a development of this scale, it does take a while to get details right and get everything submitted.

Similarly, something like 8th and Broadway, which is approved, takes time to get all the details right so they can start building and that's all on the developer at this point.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan