HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Apr 20, 2021, 3:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
I mean, do we really need to wait to know what the plans for the area will be?

I'm gonna hazard a guess and say it'll have five or so floors, with a bit of brick, white stucco and maybe some black or gray thrown in.
LOL,

Comrade had the inside scoop all along! I’ve gotta look into this location and see what else needs to go.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2021, 7:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
Wow, the West Quarter is really taking shape. I didn't even recognize it at first.
Yeah the West Quarter is making good progress. It's going to make such a huge difference to that area.

Once my semester is over I'm definitely going to take a day to take photos of all the happenings going on in the west downtown/Granary/Central Ninth areas.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2021, 7:15 AM
SLC Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by comrade View Post
i mean, do we really need to wait to know what the plans for the area will be?

I'm gonna hazard a guess and say it'll have five or so floors, with a bit of brick, white stucco and maybe some black or gray thrown in.
Pancake Flats

Old Posted Apr 20, 2021, 7:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvland View Post
Pancake Flats
Coachman's Quarters

Old Posted Apr 20, 2021, 9:30 AM

The Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
I found an apartment project that was new to me: "The Citizen Apartments." The developer website only says this:

Quote:
The Citizen is a 264 unit apartment community located in downtown Salt Lake City, UT. As such, the amenities support an urban lifestyle featuring a large central courtyard, pool, hot tub, roof top deck, yoga studio, fitness center, pet wash, bike storage, high tech co-working space, fire pits, smart home technology, and more.
And another website says this:

Quote:
264 unit apartment project within walking distance of Trader Joe’s, Whole Foods, and many other Salt Lake City retail and services.
But there's no specific location listed. Based on the second quote, it sounds like it's somewhere around 400 S and 700 E.

I noticed today that electrical and plumbing documents had been filed for this project over the past couple days. So I did a search and sure enough, a commercial building permit was filed in 2019 for the same project.

https://citizenportal.slcgov.com/Cit...howInspection=

The Basics:
264 residential units. 6 floors.

The project appears to be replacing three 3-floor interconnected office buildings built from 1978 to 1980.

Tbh, I never thought that buildings like these were even on the chopping block. It's becoming more and more clear that everything three floors and under are being treated as ripe for redevelopment.

Last edited by Blah_Amazing; Apr 20, 2021 at 11:12 AM.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2021, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blah_Amazing View Post
BTW, 'The Bookbinder' project's Design Review is tonight according to the PC agenda:

https://www.slc.gov/planning/public-...endas-minutes/

Project Address: 422 S 200 W

BSL article on the project: https://www.buildingsaltlake.com/bui...ding-downtown/

According to the Planning Commission Summary of Actions, the project was approved with conditions.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2021, 12:17 PM

Regarding the upcoming Coachman replacement. I hope we will be pleasantly surprised. It would be great if on a street as major as State they would start replacing the low-level non-descript grunge with at least 10 story projects.

Quote:

Tbh, I never thought that buildings like these were even on the chopping block. It's becoming more and more clear that everything three floors and under are being treated as ripe for redevelopment.
The Citizen will be a handsome replacement for that location. I like the way it confronts the street and corner. Glad to see the old 70's/80's office style being replaced by something far more attractive. That particular style was popular around the metro for a short time. I remember as a youngster even liking the old downtown American Savings twins for a brief period after they were built (southeast corner of 2nd So. and W. Temple). I suppose the American Savings offices were about as attractive as that particular style could be. However, that style has become dated and kind of frumpy looking when compared with the vintage classics or many of today's much sexier comtempories. I would be glad to see a new tower replace the American Savings twins in the not too distant future.

Last edited by delts145; Apr 20, 2021 at 12:32 PM.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2021, 4:33 PM
NIMBY Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by airhero View Post
Is it weird that losing the Firestone would make me sad? It has kind of a 60’s auto shop vibe. If redeveloped I hope they preserve the vertical Firestone blade sign.
Sorry I'm a bit late seeing this. I actually spoke with my contact at the company about this very thing back when I learned they were buying it. He said it's something they've talked about, but not with any urgency as redevelopment is several years off.

But it got me thinking about the process. Does anyone know how that works? Would they need permission from Firestone to use the trademark? Is that hard to obtain? Would they have to pay something? I'm not sure a developer would actually pay much for that.

It seems there is a building a few blocks to the west with a Firestone sign on top. The exact location escapes me, but I think it's near Pioneer Park somewhere. So surely the precedent exists.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2021, 7:36 PM

Central 9th/ Granary

I moved back to SLC, and I just cruised the Granary/ Central 9th and wow! It is exploding! There are so many fenced off properties under construction or about to be under construction. The old Mama's cantina is in full construction mode. They've bricked in the metal parts. The buildings by the Utah Pickle Company are fenced off and are about to begin construction. Industry is still under construction, but getting close. Maven West looks complete. Some other new housing projects have popped up unannounced by us on this forum, too. The properties adjacent to Central 9th market are all fenced off and construction signs up. EVO sports is under construction. 7th South from 3rd West to 4th West is under construction for utility upgrades I believe. I'm doing a study for a site in the area, also. It is absolutely on fire!

Old Posted Apr 20, 2021, 8:02 PM

Yeah Central 9th is really filling out. If only we could get UDOT to remove the viaduct.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2021, 8:13 PM

Does anyone know when the Carl's Jr at 2nd south and State will be demolished? I heard that a demolition permit was applied for several weeks ago.

Just wondering if they will wait until the Kensington is under construction to demolish it.

Also does anyone out there know what is going on with the Moda Luxe?
There has not been any activity at the site for weeks and weeks.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2021, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meman View Post
Does anyone know when the Carl's Jr at 2nd south and State will be demolished? I heard that a demolition permit was applied for several weeks ago.

Just wondering if they will wait until the Kensington is under construction to demolish it.

Also does anyone out there know what is going on with the Moda Luxe?
There has not been any activity at the site for weeks and weeks.
I passed by Moda Luxe yesterday and it was all fenced off and some construction workers were on site. I think they just completed demolition, and will begin excavation/shoring soon. I'll post photos soon.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2021, 10:47 PM

95 State

I have now seen 95 State from multiple view points far up and close, and it has a huge impact on the downtown skyline, IMO. Coming up northbound I-15 into the city, it spreads the skyline further east, instead of it all being mostly the single row of buildings along Main Street. It's also slender and tall from the south, which is pretty nice, IMO. It's proportions from that view is much better than 111 Main. Looking towards downtown from the east or west, it fills in a nice gap between the towers on South Temple and 111 Main. I'll post some photos soon.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2021, 12:05 AM

Please do post some photos Orlando. Good to have you back in SLC. I'm jealous!

Old Posted Apr 21, 2021, 12:26 AM

Quote:

The project appears to be replacing three 3-floor interconnected office buildings built from 1978 to 1980.

I'll play Devil's advocate here and say that I actually like the look of these existing buildings, as well as the look of the American Savings buildings downtown that Delts mentioned. Of course, I understand that the placement of the existing buildings on the site does zero favors for pedestrian engagement, but the curved brick facade is pretty slick and is a rarity in today's design world. Plus, 2 of the 3 adjacent block corners have buildings with the same curved brick facade (seems to be a weird little quirk of this intersection).

I wish the market was strong enough in Salt Lake City to allow developers and architects to design around existing structures or better integrate them into the development (I know there has been talk on this forum before of cantilevering new buildings over existing buildings, but our market just can't support that...yet). With this project, there was potential to keep the curved brick elements as stair towers (which is presumably the purpose they already serve). If or when the American Savings buildings get redeveloped, it would be nice to see a proposal to simply build on top of the existing structures, continuing the same aesthetic skyward, while perhaps modernizing it along the way, essentially the inverse of what's happening here:

https://www.archdaily.com/930069/the...ation-unstudio

Old Posted Apr 21, 2021, 3:32 AM

I live downtown. Lemme know if anyone wants to see pictures of a certain development and I can most likely grab some pictures.

Also, I think once the Worthington is added, the East side of downtown will be pretty good aesthetically. I want that old Big Lots on 200 South 400 E to be replaced with a high density multi-family or something.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2021, 11:41 AM

^^^
Allh, that would be great. It's been a long time since we've had any pictures of The Birdie, The Magnolia, or The Exchange.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2021, 2:31 PM

Try and snap some pics of the Marmalade project if you get a chance. I drove by the other day, not able to get pics, but it really changes the feel of that entrance to the city from 6th North.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2021, 3:38 PM

Dave, Here are some of the more recent pics of Marmalade that I found for the Comp. Thread on the Kier Construction Website. A lot of Kier photos don't translate to the forum as size viewable.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2021, 3:53 PM
Space Magi

111 Main has some office space available and they have some gorgeous recent shots of downtown in the advertisement:

It looks like they photoshopped out 95 State's crane though! Looking at that made me realize that the sky is completely fake in those photos, unfortunately. The sun is in the wrong place.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West