HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Apr 24, 2021, 6:19 AM
cities|transit|croissants

Brutalism really brings to light the original sin of the historic preservation movement. Preservation was originally about saving good stuff (ie walkable main streets) from becoming bad stuff (ie trash brutalism), but nobody at the time could put their finger on what was good about the old, nor bad about the new, so they shrugged and kept it simple by just saying "save the old."

It was all well and good until that bad stuff everyone wanted to prevent became old. Whoopsie.

Anyway, brutalism is going to remain as unpopular as ever among the masses, because its only real appeal is as a wedge for people who hope to appear pretentious to sneer at the bourgeoisie for "not getting it." That reason does, admittedly, line up perfectly with architecture fandom, and thus explains why brutalism is enjoying a comeback among architecture buffs.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2021, 8:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirrus View Post
Brutalism really brings to light the original sin of the historic preservation movement. Preservation was originally about saving good stuff (ie walkable main streets) from becoming bad stuff (ie trash brutalism), but nobody at the time could put their finger on what was good about the old, nor bad about the new, so they shrugged and kept it simple by just saying "save the old."

It was all well and good until that bad stuff everyone wanted to prevent became old. Whoopsie.

Anyway, brutalism is going to remain as unpopular as ever among the masses, because its only real appeal is as a wedge for people who hope to appear pretentious to sneer at the bourgeoisie for "not getting it." That reason does, admittedly, line up perfectly with architecture fandom, and thus explains why brutalism is enjoying a comeback among architecture buffs.
You seem to have constructed this whole ideology around whatever oddball interests and preferences you have so that you can be closed-minded toward anything you don't like.

I too hated brutalism as a kid. As I've gotten older, I've become a lot more open-minded. I appreciate walkability as a differentiation factor to separate "good" from "bad," but I also recognize that walkability is EASY to retrofit. Infill is also easy. These things practically happen all over Denver on auto-pilot. Demolition is hard because once you lose something, you lose it forever.

My whole life I've watched people tear down "ugly" and "unwalkable" Art Deco, Frank Lloyd Wright, Le Corbusier, modernist, mid-century modern, postmodern, brutalist, etc. Because it was different and challenged normativity. I'm from Dallas and those rich hicks despise anything that's "different" and "quirky." To the extent that Dallas has lost its soul during my lifetime, I consistently oppose the Dallasization of Denver. It blows my mind that YIMBY types actually DO want Denver to basically become Dallas.

I don't think anyone wants to build new brutalist structures but for me, the lost opportunity of tearing down potential landmarks is my differentiation factor. I don't worry about out-of-state developers being able to build hundreds of new stick-built midrises all across Denver every year. I worry about retaining unique places and spaces that interrupt the monotony of stick-built midrises.

Last edited by gopokes21; Apr 24, 2021 at 8:13 PM.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2021, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopokes21 View Post
It blows my mind that YIMBY types actually DO want Denver to basically become Dallas.
Yeah, maybe don't make straw man arguments, please.

Also, you can't only preserve the tower. The two story concrete structure to the north with no windows, articulation, or any kind of feature not resembling a cardboard box was built at the same time and would be preserved, as well. Never mind the fact that the interior is virtually unusable for anything other than a 1970s TV studio, something that 7 News no longer wants. At the end of the day, your taste versus everyone else's tastes doesn't matter because you have no business telling someone else what to do with their property. If youwant to save it, then get together with the other 3 people and buy it. I would support that.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2021, 4:35 PM
Provincial Bumpkin

Quote:
You seem to have constructed this whole ideology around whatever oddball interests and preferences you have so that you can be closed-minded toward anything you don't like.

I too hated brutalism as a kid. As I've gotten older, I've become a lot more open-minded. I appreciate walkability as a differentiation factor to separate "good" from "bad," but I also recognize that walkability is EASY to retrofit. Infill is also easy. These things practically happen all over Denver on auto-pilot. Demolition is hard because once you lose something, you lose it forever.

My whole life I've watched people tear down "ugly" and "unwalkable" Art Deco, Frank Lloyd Wright, Le Corbusier, modernist, mid-century modern, postmodern, brutalist, etc. Because it was different and challenged normativity. I'm from Dallas and those rich hicks despise anything that's "different" and "quirky." To the extent that Dallas has lost its soul during my lifetime, I consistently oppose the Dallasization of Denver. It blows my mind that YIMBY types actually DO want Denver to basically become Dallas.

I don't think anyone wants to build new brutalist structures but for me, the lost opportunity of tearing down potential landmarks is my differentiation factor. I don't worry about out-of-state developers being able to build hundreds of new stick-built midrises all across Denver every year. I worry about retaining unique places and spaces that interrupt the monotony of stick-built midrises.
This is the weirdest post I have read here in a long time. I have to ask, how old are you? The “infill practically happens on autopilot in Denver” comment makes me think you’re not yet 30.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2021, 6:29 PM
Landbarge Captain

Quote:
At some point you need to acknowledge that you came here for the mountains and the lifestyle and you want other people to stop moving here and don't want Denver to urbanize. It would be really helpful for everyone in Denver advocating for "historical preservation" of every mediocre bungalow and near-ruin to just admit they want to preserve the city in amber and take the consequences (e.g. even higher prices and people just moving further and further out onto the plains) You don't actually care about brutalism or urban design or the architecture of the Denver 7 building, you just don't want more apartments in the neighborhood. You don't want more traffic or people or more 1 bedroom comp rentals at outrageous prices. You would rather force the preservation of a near-useless, ugly building than let it be torn down for more density. You've chosen to salt the earth to preserve your lifestyle rather than allow the city to grow. And you've created an imaginary worldview where a decrepit building no one likes is suddenly fit to sit alongside architectural masterpieces.

I mean, I realize you just threw out some starchitects and popular architectural styles to try to draw a connection to the Denver 7 building, so it's silly to even argue about it, but here we are.

Because unless you're 80 years old, or live in tourist/neo-nazi trap Whitefish Montana, you haven't experienced anyone seriously discuss tearing down a Frank Lloyd building, and no one in a city has done it in 50 years. More importantly, this building is nowhere close to the level of a Wright building. Maybe it features some colored faux-stone textured concrete, but that's about it.

And Le Corbusier's terrible and generally anti-urban urban design ideas may be an influence on the lack of pedestrian interaction, but I don't think invoking his (anti-semitic, fascist, racist) name has the power you think it does. Especially when it comes to the context of preservation and the built urban environment. Pruitt-Igoe was built to his three principles and didn't work with the surrounding neighborhood, should that have been saved? And this building doesn't even have any greenery, so it's like two of his three principles.

Overall, I think Odo of Metz is a better comparative architect for this building than Wright or Le Corbusier - it's built like a thick-walled fortress to house the special interior and follows no positive urban design principles of the last half century. (The only thing it lacks is 1000 years of history.)

In truth, I could just as easily mention that I have watched and celebrated people tearing down prisons, Nazi bunkers, Soviet military bases, and 50s public housing and that it blows my mind that NIMBYs prefer Denver to look like Volgograd.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2021, 1:12 PM
of Gnomeregan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
Side Pocket Topic

If you ever want to watch a (free) live stream of the Avs just Go Here. You may have to click on "NHL" and then the game you want to watch. They give you a choice of feeds between Home and Away (or national). If you're ever curious about Avs blog viewpoints, then join us HERE. Ofc you have some darn good hockey in Florida with both the Panthers and the Lightening.

Always nice to see your smiling face.
Thanks.. and those are two sites I wasn't familiar with.. I've been paying for NHL.tv since I moved.

I'll bow out again for a while though since I'm not really on the pulse of the city anymore especially development or urban design related. Unless something as obvious as injecting bleach gets brought up again when I can contribute my tiny amount by saying "yeah that's dumb".

Old Posted Apr 26, 2021, 3:55 PM
Provincial Bumpkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainpathology View Post
I'll bow out again for a while though since I'm not really on the pulse of the city anymore especially development or urban design related. Unless something as obvious as injecting bleach gets brought up again when I can contribute my tiny amount by saying "yeah that's dumb".
Unfortunately, if you've read the stupidity here, perhaps supplemented with a little bit of facebook drivel from the likes of Denver Fugly, you are fully up on the pulse of Denver these days. Think the piousness and hypocrisy of San Francisco, with more white people, sloppier dress, and beer>wine. Or Boulder on steroids. (Wait, did I just describe Portland?)

Old Posted Apr 26, 2021, 5:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunt_q View Post
Unfortunately, if you've read the stupidity here, perhaps supplemented with a little bit of facebook drivel from the likes of Denver Fugly, you are fully up on the pulse of Denver these days. Think the piousness and hypocrisy of San Francisco, with more white people, sloppier dress, and beer>wine. Or Boulder on steroids. (Wait, did I just describe Portland?)
Most of your posts sound like the disgruntled rumblings of a conservative boomer who is drowning in a pool of cultural resentment. Is there a model that you think Denver should follow as it develops or do your contributions not extend beyond your complaints about the fact that Denver is a liberal city?

Old Posted Apr 26, 2021, 6:05 PM

Oh are we fighting one another still? In that case, Cirrus, I still dislike your reasoned posts.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2021, 6:08 PM
Provincial Bumpkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirLucasTheGreat View Post
Most of your posts sound like the disgruntled rumblings of a conservative boomer who is drowning in a pool of cultural resentment. Is there a model that you think Denver should follow as it develops or do your contributions not extend beyond your complaints about the fact that Denver is a liberal city?
We were a liberal city long before the current NIMBY/BANANA undercurrents started to gain real traction and slowly strangle the Denver that could still do big things. Denver was a liberal city back when it had almost nothing in common with Boulder. It has nothing to do with Denver being a liberal city. There are liberal places that still make big plans and have big visions. And then there are liberal that reject everything. Whether it's because of faux environmentalism (of the SF/Boulder variety), or symbolic anti-corporatism (of the Queens/Amazon/AOC variety), or just plain anti-everything-ism, it doesn't matter. We were the former, now we are becoming the latter.

There are still more liberal places nationwide that are like the old Denver than there are places like the Denver we are becoming. Do I lament this evolution? Absolutely. But there's a big difference between being a disgruntled conservative boomer (not me) and thinking most of the West Coast and Boulder are really shitty urban models to follow (that's me).

One example of the dichotomy (not a perfect analogue, but I happen to have just been reading this): https://www-washingtonpost-com.cdn.a...outputType=amp

Give me more Northern Virginia and less Maryland. Both are blue places. (Whether they are "liberal" as you see it, I am not sure.)

Old Posted Apr 26, 2021, 6:27 PM

Ok that's a useful perspective. There's NIMBYism here but not the Boulder, Lakewood, and Golden variety where development is artificially limited. Hancock beat out his more liberal challengers, the camping ban was overwhelmingly affirmed, group living was expanded to the entire city, and the Green Roof Initiative was immensely altered to accommodate private business interests. There are obviously still problems with our zoning and odd sentiments regarding historical preservation but Denver is not SF, Portland, or Boulder as far as I can see. If we were anticorporate, I fail to see how we seem to attract so many corporations. What, if any, specific changes on a governmental or cultural level do you think Denver would benefit from? I'm just not so sure that it is as much of a cult of wokeism as one might find in the bay area or in Brooklyn

Last edited by SirLucasTheGreat; Apr 26, 2021 at 6:39 PM.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2021, 6:57 PM
of Gnomeregan

It's weird that those advocating for allowing change in the cityscape by replacing ugly, under-dense, poorly planned, or underused buildings or lots are being labeled as disgruntled conservatives and those that are advocating for preserving the status quo at the absolute expense of everything else including affordability or opportunity for more people (including the poor, middle class and in Denver's case anyone not rich) to enjoy the city are calling themselves liberal.

Or maybe Denverites are just falling into the trap that makes me resent so many secs of religion and politics by proclaiming themselves whatever word they are convinced is the best thing to be, in this case "liberal" while not caring one bit how their actions define what's really going on to anyone with even the most tenuous grasp on reality.

(this isn't meant as a direct response to the post immediately preceding mine btw)

Old Posted Apr 26, 2021, 7:03 PM

I understand that you say your comment is not responsive to the preceding post but for whatever it is worth, I'm all for replacing ugly, under-dense, poorly planned, or underused buildings or lots. I did not intend my prior comments to at all suggest otherwise. Communication failure on my end perhaps.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2021, 7:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunt_q View Post
One example of the dichotomy (not a perfect analogue, but I happen to have just been reading this): https://www-washingtonpost-com.cdn.a...outputType=amp

Give me more Northern Virginia and less Maryland. Both are blue places. (Whether they are "liberal" as you see it, I am not sure.)
LOL ho boy. Here is what I said about that article on Twitter:

It's very worth noting that VA HOT lane plans arose from widenings being defeated, and only became politically possible when the tolls were *required* to pay for transit service. VA is not remotely as simple as "highways yay."

What is fair though is that VA accomplishes more than MD. VA's institutions are set up to weather changes in the governor's mansion and still get things done. MD's... aren't.

If you'd like to talk about the specific institutional differences in MD and VA that result in this, I know a lot about them both. It's less about NIMBYism and more about government structure and how money flows. Both of them give NIMBYs far less power than anywhere in Colorado.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2021, 8:37 PM

Speaking as a disgruntled Boomer...

For the longest time Colorado was more red than blue; I was a happy liberal. The good news is that while the statehouse was red the voters more typically elected a Dem Governor. It made for sound compromises. I always believed the state benefited from its purple hue.

Historically, Colorado has reflected a healthy 'rugged individualism' but on the whole was a practical place even as it became decidedly purple. Denver, itself while politically liberal also reflected a western pragmatism.

Lots of Republicans feel their party has moved away from where they STILL are. The same could be said for Democrats. Many long-time Dems feel the party is moving waay too fast and too far to the left. It's why there are now as many 'unaffiliated' voters in Colorado as Dems or Republicans.

https://www.thedenverchannel.com/new...ons-since-2014
Quote:
Since 2014, nearly 240,000 voters have chosen to switch their party affiliations. Many of those who decided to switch left one of the two main political parties to become unaffiliated voters.

“You’ve got more than a half-million new voters and most of those are 40 or under, and most of those are registering as unaffiliated,” Fish said.
They may vote primarily Dem today but I'd consider that tenuous.

Both Polis and Hancock (in their own way) are progressive but both have long-time Colorado roots which includes a good bit of pragmatism.

Quote:
LOL ho boy. Here is what I said about that article on Twitter:
I remember well the construction of the Silver Line to Tyson's Corner.

Just an observation

Team Biden isn't going to be able to pass their large infrastructure bill. They don't have the votes, not even for reconciliation.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2021, 8:59 PM

The count is in and Colorado wins

States that voted for Biden lose 3 net House seats after Census count
April 26, 2021 - Axios

Axios has an easy to visualize map of changes. Unsurprisingly the Rust Belt lost seats.
Quote:
By the numbers: California — the nation's most populous state — is losing a seat for the first time in history.
  • Other states losing one: Illinois, Michigan, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania and West Virginia.
  • The shifting — but still very red — state of Texas will pick up two of the reapportioned seats. Colorado, Florida, Montana, North Carolina and Oregon will also gain one seat each.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2021, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dirt View Post
Yeah, maybe don't make straw man arguments, please.

Also, you can't only preserve the tower. The two story concrete structure to the north with no windows, articulation, or any kind of feature not resembling a cardboard box was built at the same time and would be preserved, as well. Never mind the fact that the interior is virtually unusable for anything other than a 1970s TV studio, something that 7 News no longer wants. At the end of the day, your taste versus everyone else's tastes doesn't matter because you have no business telling someone else what to do with their property. If youwant to save it, then get together with the other 3 people and buy it. I would support that.
Who is saying it's all or nothing (besides you)? That's insane.

And you want to talk about straw man arguments... anyway, back to the discussion about how Denver can become more like Dallas...

Old Posted Apr 26, 2021, 11:11 PM

Quote:
you want to talk about straw man arguments... anyway, back to the discussion about how Denver can become more like Dallas...
I assume this is satire and we're being trolled.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2021, 11:19 PM
Reluctant Hobbesian

Quote:
And you want to talk about straw man arguments... anyway, back to the discussion about how Denver can become more like Dallas...
Step one: Import more Texans and there over-inflated sense of superiority.

All of us who are concerned for peace and triumph of reason and justice must be keenly aware how small an influence reason and honest good will exert upon events in the political field. ~Albert Einstein

Old Posted Apr 26, 2021, 11:22 PM

Quote:
I assume this is satire and we're being trolled.
I asked who is saying it's all or nothing? Are you capable of substantive conversation, or do you just go into attack mode when people in other cities want to preserve their mid-century modern stuff?

By the way, just for the record, our Landmarks Commission voted overwhelmingly last week to preserve the corner tower and City Council is very likely to agree. You shouldn't troll/attack/gaslight those who are actually in the majority on an issue.

This YIMBY dogma is getting to be too much.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West