HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Aug 4, 2020, 3:01 PM

Dirt beat me to it - https://www.sos.state.co.us/pubs/ele...ard/index.html

WITHDRAWN

Honestly though, I think if it were brought back again, it would face headwinds. Maybe communities closer to the foothills would be for this, but many folks across the FR are probably against this sort of measure. I think the majority of folks understand this is an inherently stupid idea....

Old Posted Aug 4, 2020, 3:43 PM
[sub]urbanite

Quote:
Originally Posted by twister244 View Post
Dirt beat me to it - https://www.sos.state.co.us/pubs/ele...ard/index.html

WITHDRAWN

Honestly though, I think if it were brought back again, it would face headwinds. Maybe communities closer to the foothills would be for this, but many folks across the FR are probably against this sort of measure. I think the majority of folks understand this is an inherently stupid idea....
Except the voters in Lakewood didn't think that...granted it was a botched election the week of July 4th when only old timers are still at home, but still, it passed. I'm moving to Switzerland if the damn growth measure passes one day. I'll take the Colorado of Europe over Colorado if my neighbors are really that cruel and selfish, even if my new locale prevents me from buying a home.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2020, 3:46 PM

Quote:
Do you really think so? If it passed in Lakewood, I don't see why not in the rest of the Front Range. Lakewood is diverse place which I think is a good representative sample for the rest of the metro. It's got blue collar folks, semi-urbanites priced out of central Denver, typical suburbanites, decent Latino community. It's not a wealthy, lefty or exclusive Golden / Boulder type place.

I think pre-2020 it would have had a good chance of succeeding. However, it seems the Great Awokening has brought things like red-lining and NIMBY housing policy more into the national conversation, and so it might get more pushback now.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2020, 5:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Orange View Post
Do you really think so? If it passed in Lakewood, I don't see why not in the rest of the Front Range. Lakewood is diverse place which I think is a good representative sample for the rest of the metro. It's got blue collar folks, semi-urbanites priced out of central Denver, typical suburbanites, decent Latino community. It's not a wealthy, lefty or exclusive Golden / Boulder type place.

I think pre-2020 it would have had a good chance of succeeding. However, it seems the Great Awokening has brought things like red-lining and NIMBY housing policy more into the national conversation, and so it might get more pushback now.
Interesting comment. Checking it seems that Lakewood is more Dem-progressive than I realized. My dated recall is that west of Kipling it becomes more 'suburban' with a more 'independent-protective' profile. Zoning density isn't necessarily a partisan issue; it may be more non-partisan.

I can see where Lakewood would have a reactionary response to Denver; I can see more sensitivity to crime rates and homeless issues. Primarily, I'm not surprised that they simply want to 'preserve' what they have.

If Lakewood would simply define 'areas of change' allowing for more density and mixed use as an 'exception' to the growth limitations, chances are many would have a more favorable view. For example, allow more density 'X' distance from light rail. "Oh, in that area? Well that's fine."

Old Posted Aug 4, 2020, 5:59 PM

It's very predictable that there will be post-pandemic changes in attitudes

Space-Starved Buyers Flock To Master-Planned Communities
July 29, 2020 By Dees Stribling, Bisnow National
Quote:
In only a few months, the coronavirus pandemic, along with a side of unexpected social unrest in some places, has made people rethink urban living. That new fear of density has been boosting master-planned communities.

"This is the kind of thing we're seeing," Layne said. "A couple from a northeastern city Googled master-planned communities and one of the results was Bridgeland. Sight unseen, they leased an apartment here, and are now planning to buy a house. They thought now was the time for that kind of change."

The interest in master-planned communities in states like Nevada and Texas is more than just a reflection of the pandemic, Summerlin President Kevin Orrock said. "People are still looking to get away from high-tax, high cost-of-living places," he said. ""That isn't going to change."
This is why I often rant about not having unnecessary business-unfriendly taxes or excessive red tape requirements. When people are younger but maturing at some point they will assess their own budget priorities. When business chooses to expand and/or relocate costs are paramount - along with certain non-cost priorities.

The natural evolution of Millennials

Once one passes the age of 25 years old on their way to 30, typically a lot of growth in 'maturity' takes place. Many will have found the partner of their dreams and decide they want a family; they want to buy their own place.

When just out of curiosity they decide "Let's just go check it out" and drive out to the suburbs to find fenced in back yards for their children and pets they quickly fall in love. Others will decide "Nah, I don't won't to live this far out." Everybody is different.

Metro Denver is growing rapidly; is growing up and maturing

While we don't focus here on industrial-warehouse development it is the one segment that hasn't skipped a beat. It's still (relatively) HOT. While it will never reach the size of Phoenix, for example, Denver is large enough to support and have its own 'logistics' capacity. Ofc yesterday's 'warehouse' is today's 'fulfillment' center or just-in-time access to key industries or just provides better access to everyday nuts and bolts, celery and tomatoes.

There's a lot of 'industrial' development out east including nearby to I-70 and E-470. These industries provide solid, stable job opportunities even if nothing like tech-bro status. More affordable 'sprawl' only make sense for this part of the economic engine.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2020, 4:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Orange View Post

I do actually. I don't think Lakewood voters are representative of the majority of folks who vote on this. You don't see massive new subdivisions going up all over Lakewood (despite how much growth the Nimbys there would like to claim). Yes, they've had some growth over the last decade, but nothing compared to Denver, Aurora, and other suburbs to the South, East, and North. Voters in those areas are more likely to have bought a new construction house and understand why putting a cap on growth would actually be detrimental to affordability. As much as folks want to think the entire FR is super liberal/progressive like the the Bay Area, Seattle, etc, we really aren't (see how Denver voted on the camping ban). We lean more libertarian here, and I feel like most of the NIMBY attitude is clustered closer to the foothills where folks got into a house a long time ago and don't want their quiet cul-de-sac with views being disturbed.

Maybe I am wrong here and off-base, but there's enough diversity in attitude/culture from one community here to the next that I simply don't believe that Boulder/Lakewood/Golden are anywhere close to representative of the entire Front Range.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2020, 6:29 PM
Never Dell

I disagree that a rooftop observation deck would be hugely profitable.

Would it be popular? Maybe. The world is full of lightly-visited observation decks.

It would very likely be expensive if it had a couple dedicated elevators. Alternatively these visitors could mix with the office crowd, which would have its own challenges in security, insurance, and so on. A bar or restaurant could bring the office workers in, but a good observation deck lets you walk around the whole perimeter with your kids. Meanwhile it's hard to get people to keep coming back to an expensive place with a long elevator wait. And office workers don't throng expensive places either.

In short, this stuff is difficult and not a slam dunk regardless of the type.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2020, 6:59 PM

Quote:
As much as folks want to think the entire FR is super liberal/progressive like the the Bay Area, Seattle, etc, we really aren't (see how Denver voted on the camping ban). We lean more libertarian here, and I feel like most of the NIMBY attitude is clustered closer to the foothills where folks got into a house a long time ago and don't want their quiet cul-de-sac with views being disturbed.
I don't think that NIMBYism/selfishness is partisan. Liberals will do mental gymnastics to justify that they're opinion is pro-environment/not segregationist/not classist as much as Libertarians or Fiscal Conservatives will do the same mental gymnastics to justify how the suburbs aren't a complete fiscally unsustainable pyramid scheme.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2020, 9:03 PM

It's a get-away matinee at Coors Field

Courtesy Visit Denver

Sure miss all the rabid fans in the stands as I'm sure so do the nearby businesses. The field is looking good and so are the Rockies.

Quote:
I do actually. I don't think Lakewood voters are representative of the majority of folks who vote on this. You don't see massive new subdivisions going up all over Lakewood (despite how much growth the Nimbys there would like to claim). Yes, they've had some growth over the last decade, but nothing compared to Denver, Aurora, and other suburbs to the South, East, and North. Voters in those areas are more likely to have bought a new construction house and understand why putting a cap on growth would actually be detrimental to affordability. As much as folks want to think the entire FR is super liberal/progressive like the the Bay Area, Seattle, etc, we really aren't (see how Denver voted on the camping ban). We lean more libertarian here, and I feel like most of the NIMBY attitude is clustered closer to the foothills where folks got into a house a long time ago and don't want their quiet cul-de-sac with views being disturbed.

Maybe I am wrong here and off-base, but there's enough diversity in attitude/culture from one community here to the next that I simply don't believe that Boulder/Lakewood/Golden are anywhere close to representative of the entire Front Range.
Nice analysis; I generally agree with everything.

I'm not so sure that the "one size fits all" limitation will be that easy to sell. Btw, Golden during their moratorium reworked their zoning so whatever they did presumably solves their concern.

Mixed-use; Mixed-use; Mixed-use

and density go together like peas and carrots; even Forrest Gump knew that.

I can still recall the many drab shopping centers along So Wadsworth, for example, and with the current trends amplified by the Pandemic are likely looking even more drab. How many 'smoke shops' does an area need? Many of these could easily be redeveloped into mixed-use sites with medium density housing and retail. If Aldi or something comparable (or even those Choice Markets noted above) comes to Denver they're a good tenant for more modest sized centers.

The powers-that-be need to do a much better job of selling the mixed-use concept for redevelopment. The Streets of Southglenn is a decent (if not great) example. There's all manner of variation on themes with this.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2020, 10:33 PM

Available August 13th

Neon Local
99 S Broadway, Denver, CO 80209 – SoBo

Studio $1,360 – 1,890
1 Bedroom $1,560 – 2,375
2 Bedrooms $2,760 – 3,485
3 Bedrooms $4,180 – 4,820

Rent Specials
Now Offering One Month Free! Call Today for Details!

Image courtesy Holland Residential

IIRC, Holland really would have preferred going up five stories but it quickly became clear that could take (a lot of) time to get neighborhood approval - if even possible. Time is money so they just moved ahead with the current project which turned out nicely.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2020, 3:29 PM
Fast. Fun. Frequent.

IMO, Neon Local looks great even at three stories.

https://denverinfill.com/2020/07/bak...-jul-2020.html

Latest Photo Threads: Los Angeles | New Orleans | Denver: 2014 Megathread | Denver Time-Lapse Project For more photos check out: My Website and My Flickr Photostream

Old Posted Aug 7, 2020, 9:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanD View Post
IMO, Neon Local looks great even at three stories.

https://denverinfill.com/2020/07/bak...-jul-2020.html

Oh, I do agree. Only three stories is not an issue with me but usually "we" tend to clamor for more.

Those 'real McCoy' photos actually look better than the rendering. The three-story makes for a nice 'sleek form' look.
Thanks for posting these.

Denver Water Administration Facility

Photos courtesy Stantec via Mile High CRE

Stantec Designs Net-Zero Denver Water Admin Facility
July 29, 2020 By Mile High CRE
Quote:
Denver Water, Colorado’s oldest and largest water utility, recently opened its new six-story, 186,000-square-foot administration building, the central focus of its 35-acre operations complex. Global integrated design firm, Stantec, designed the building to both LEED Platinum and Net-Zero Energy standards as part of the public agency’s multiphase modernization project.

Mortensen Construction served as the general contractor and Trammell Crow Company was the owner’s representative.
I assume there's a reason why the building looks like it does?
Quote:
Long and thin in its form, the building evokes a slot canyon sculpted by the natural flow of water over many years. The building form maximizes daylighting and views, while reducing the need for artificial lights
What else has been going on over there?
Quote:
The innovative, new office building serves as the administrative heart of Denver Water’s redesigned campus, linking eight new or fully renovated facilities including the new warehouse, meter shop, trades and fleet buildings completed in 2017.
I'd be real curious (and have no clue) for how much the additional cost for this net-zero energy construction is compared to the more typical new construction around downtown?

Old Posted Aug 9, 2020, 7:20 PM

Denver has really been hazy lately, but alas...

Block 162: Tower Cranes coming down!

Old Posted Aug 9, 2020, 8:15 PM

Denver Skyline: 8/9/2020:

Disclaimer: Image was photoshopped to compensate for the haze

Old Posted Aug 9, 2020, 11:52 PM

Block 162 looks great but still gets lost in the skyline. Too bad such a great new tower couldn’t have been 200 ft taller.

And yes it’s been really hazy in Denver lately. And bone dry. The monsoon was basically non-existent this summer I’m worried about fire danger heading into the fall.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2020, 3:23 PM
Mile High Guy

I'm just glad Block 162 filled in that skyline gap from some different angles and perspectives.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2020, 6:30 PM

I'm interested to see what, if any, exterior lighting there will be on Block 162. It took 1144 15th a little while before the lighting turned on.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2020, 7:49 PM
Fast. Fun. Frequent.

Conditions have been less than ideal for photography lately.

Here are a couple snaps the morning they started taking down the crane. Sure it could have been a taller tower, but I really like the splash of blue in the mix of everything else around it.

Latest Photo Threads: Los Angeles | New Orleans | Denver: 2014 Megathread | Denver Time-Lapse Project For more photos check out: My Website and My Flickr Photostream

Old Posted Aug 10, 2020, 9:47 PM

Great shot Ryan. We don't see pictures from this angle much. 162 looks great. Thank You.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2020, 4:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanD View Post
Here are a couple snaps the morning they started taking down the crane. Sure it could have been a taller tower, but I really like the splash of blue in the mix of everything else around it.
I had also noticed how nicely it stands out from its immediate neighbors.

Coming soon to 80238

Image courtesy of Home2 Suites By Hilton Denver Northfield via Tripadvisor

Home2 Suites by Hilton Denver Stapleton
9193 East 47th Avenue, Denver, CO 80238

According to the DBJ "this 117-room extended-stay property from Blackridge Development Companies" is scheduled to open on September 8th. My understanding is that these extended-stay hotels are faring a bit better than others.

Note: Word on the street is that Blackridge, in order to insure higher occupancy is negotiating a five-year master-lease with Mayor Hancock and the City for housing the homeless. Breakfast included of course.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West