HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Oct 12, 2023, 7:25 PM

Quote:
Portland agency to loan $3 million for Flock food hall in Ritz-Carlton tower

With the long-awaited Ritz-Carlton building in downtown Portland nearly done, the city is kicking in a multimillion-dollar loan to get a key piece of the project across the finish line.

The Prosper Portland board of commissioners on Wednesday unanimously approved a $3 million loan to a little-known Portland company that will open a food hall in the nearly complete Ritz-Carlton building.

The borrower is Leeroy & Kimble LLC. Walt Bowen, developer of the $600 million building, selected Leeroy & Kimble to operate the 8,000-square-foot space on the building’s first floor. The plan is for a bar, a coffee shop and eight restaurants. Collectively, the space will be called Flock.
...continues at the Oregonian.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Oct 18, 2023, 9:21 PM

Quote:
Portland Ritz-Carlton finally locks in opening date
The 35-story downtown tower will include 251 hotel rooms and 132 condos on the top floors, plus a ground floor food hall.

PORTLAND, Oregon — The downtown Portland Ritz-Carlton hotel finally has a concrete opening date, and it's just a couple weeks away. The 35-story, $600 million Ritz-Carlton Residences will officially open with a ribbon-cutting event on Oct. 31, a spokesperson confirmed Wednesday afternoon.

The announcement comes after a previous delay that BPM Real Estate Group attributed to supply chain problems. News releases earlier this year referenced a "late summer" opening timeframe, but the Portland Business Journal reported in July that the window had been pushed back from August to October, still without a specific date.

The hotel's website still said "Opening 2023" as of Wednesday morning, and the Marriott booking website (Ritz-Carlton is a Marriott subsidiary) said the tower was "Opening Soon Oct 2023" — although the website already appeared to be accepting reservations scheduled for Oct. 31 or later.

The building at Southwest 9th and Washington holds 251 hotel rooms and 132 condos on the upper floors, ranging in price from around $1.3 million to close to $8 million. The tower will also feature 16,000 square feet of meeting and event space, including an 8,000-square-foot ballroom and a restaurant on the 20th floor. Hotel rooms will start at $575 per night.
...continues at KGW.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2023, 8:03 PM

Reservations for Bellpine are live on OpenTable, starting November 2nd.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2023, 3:35 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
Thanks for sharing! Made a rez, excited to see it

Old Posted Oct 30, 2023, 6:55 PM

Quote:
Take a first look inside Bellpine, The Ritz-Carlton’s sweeping new 20th-floor restaurant

Bellpine, the new restaurant at Portland’s upcoming Ritz-Carlton hotel, could have been many things. But given its 20th-floor position and sweeping views across to distant Mount Hood, one thing was for certain: It had to be grand.

To that end, the 251-room hotel recruited Pedro Almeida, the chef behind several Michelin-starred restaurants at the Ritz-Carlton’s Penha Longa Resort in Portugal, as well as local luminary Lauro Romero (King Tide, Republica). Together, the chefs are collaborating on a modern American menu served in a dining room inspired by the tidepools and rock formations of the Oregon Coast, with a ceiling cutout resembling a wild mushroom.

Bellpine, which holds its grand opening on Tuesday, Oct. 31, is one of the more highly anticipated Portland restaurant openings of 2023, and easily among the city’s most ambitious restaurant openings in years. Last week, The Oregonian/OregonLive was invited to take a tour of the facility. Visit the gallery above for the first look inside Bellpine.
...continues at the Oregonian.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2023, 7:13 PM
Registered Ugly

Quote:
I also made a reservation for our anniversary in early Nov.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2023, 8:44 PM

Location: Portland (part-time); warm foreign countries (part-time)
The Illuminated Cap

From where I live, I have a great view of the top on the Ritz Carlton tower. Recently I noticed that the color of the illuminated horizontal cap has been subtly tweaked. Previously it was a bright white. Now it is a warm, yellowish shade. Hmmm...what possibilities!

Does anyone know if the illuminated cap can be changed seasonally? For instance, red and green during Christmas or red and blue at July 4th. Or even better, could it be an art installation that changes as each artist's light design is plugged into the program?

Old Posted Oct 30, 2023, 9:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMH View Post
From where I live, I have a great view of the top on the Ritz Carlton tower. Recently I noticed that the color of the illuminated horizontal cap has been subtly tweaked. Previously it was a bright white. Now it is a warm, yellowish shade. Hmmm...what possibilities!

Does anyone know if the illuminated cap can be changed seasonally? For instance, red and green during Christmas or red and blue at July 4th. Or even better, could it be an art installation that changes as each artist's light design is plugged into the program?
I took the train back from Seattle Saturday night and as we we're going across the train bridge over the Willamette I could clearly see the Ritz's crown lit up and dominating the skyline. Was pretty cool! I have to imagine they made it possible to change colors. I watch way too much football and basketball and it's really cool to see Minneapolis' buildings turn purple, and Seattle turn blue or green during big games, as well as many other cities.

Since the Ritz open's tomorrow, I also changed the thread to complete! Woot! Woot!

Old Posted Oct 30, 2023, 9:49 PM

I really want to check out Bellpine, but am waiting until I see just how expensive it is before pulling the trigger on a reservation. I'll maybe settle for a cocktail and a small plate in the lobby bar until then.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2023, 11:17 PM
BANNED

Thank god this building broke ground when it did. I have a feeling this would never happen nowadays

Old Posted Oct 30, 2023, 11:23 PM
Registered Ugly

Quote:
I really want to check out Bellpine, but am waiting until I see just how expensive it is before pulling the trigger on a reservation. I'll maybe settle for a cocktail and a small plate in the lobby bar until then.
I’m a little nervous about this. But it’s for special occasion. Hoping the menu leaks lol.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2023, 3:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subterranean View Post
I’m a little nervous about this. But it’s for special occasion. Hoping the menu leaks lol.
Same, I'm waiting to see the prices before I book a reservation, lol.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2023, 11:00 PM

We went to the lobby bar, Meadowrue, on Friday after a show at the Schnitzer. The space is beautiful, so hats off to the design team. At $25 the signature cocktails were expensive, but simple mixed drinks and beer/wine were not any more expensive than I'd expect in any other decent hotel bar. The service however was not at all polished and honestly would have left me very disappointed if i'd been paying full price for a hotel night. I assume it will get better over time, but definitely a rocky start.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2023, 5:21 PM

Urban design thwarted. The Automobile wins.

With foreign friends in town, I wanted to show them the new Ritz Carlton building so we walked to the main entrance on the corner of SW 10th Ave and Washington St. and found the doors locked. Obviously it was intentional. Lobby seating had been arranged to block the entrance. Another entrance to the lobby on the Washington St. side was locked. So only the garage entrance was available to us as pedestrians.

Despite the design community's desire for active ground floors of Downtown buildings and the Design Commission's push to be sure the Ritz Carlton Hotel main entrance on the corner of 10th & Washington would be clear and inviting, Management has thwarted all of that and succumbed to the dominance of the automobile. Very disappointing.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2023, 6:25 PM
Registered Ugly

This happens out here in the burbs, too. Requiring doors and fenestration hasn’t meant they actually use them. Retail blocks off all entrances and windows except those closest to parking. I hate it.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2023, 9:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMH View Post
With foreign friends in town, I wanted to show them the new Ritz Carlton building so we walked to the main entrance on the corner of SW 10th Ave and Washington St. and found the doors locked. Obviously it was intentional. Lobby seating had been arranged to block the entrance. Another entrance to the lobby on the Washington St. side was locked. So only the garage entrance was available to us as pedestrians.

Despite the design community's desire for active ground floors of Downtown buildings and the Design Commission's push to be sure the Ritz Carlton Hotel main entrance on the corner of 10th & Washington would be clear and inviting, Management has thwarted all of that and succumbed to the dominance of the automobile. Very disappointing.
Limiting access usually has nothing to do with "automobiles", but limiting transient and non-guests from just freely walking in to the most luxurious hotel in Portland. Otherwise, they would likely need to staff additional people near each entrance to ensure safety, security, and guest experience is upheld. They are a private business after-all and ultimately their guest's experience is more important to them than gawkers coming to look around or houseless people looking for a quiet stairwell to set up camp for the night (yes this happens regularly, I'm in the hotel biz).

Old Posted Nov 27, 2023, 10:17 PM

I had a similar experience downtown, just across the river from Old Town. I just took a full-time job with Kaiser Permanente, and their downtown office tower's front door is locked. A security guard had to come to the door, make sure I wasn't a nobody, AND walk me to the elevator to select a floor; the elevator wouldn't even work without his assistance!

I understand the security concerns....At the same time, it's bordering on just outright paranoia. I know Portland, as a whole, is not as safe as it used to be, but c'mon.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2023, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncommon.name View Post
Limiting access usually has nothing to do with "automobiles", but limiting transient and non-guests from just freely walking in to the most luxurious hotel in Portland. Otherwise, they would likely need to staff additional people near each entrance to ensure safety, security, and guest experience is upheld. They are a private business after-all and ultimately their guest's experience is more important to them than gawkers coming to look around or houseless people looking for a quiet stairwell to set up camp for the night (yes this happens regularly, I'm in the hotel biz).
It is the result of a poorly planned hotel lobby. The long hotel reception counter should not have been buried back near the garage entrance with no sightlines to the main entrance. The hotel reception counter should have been PARALLEL with SW Washington St. so that it would equally serve the main entrance at 10th & Washington and the garage entrance. The monumental lobby stair turns its back on the main entrance and orients itself to the garage entrance while also blocking views toward the Meadowrue Bar while limiting the hotel staff views of the entire lobby. The hotel designers should have spent more time thinking about the lobby design and functions.

I have heard from Tim Heron, Urban Design planner at the City, in support of the Design Commission. He will be looking into these functional problems that the Design Commission probably should have foreseen.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland