HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Oct 25, 2016, 4:34 PM

^^Awesome! Here is the rendering:

That means three parts of this development are a go!

It looks like Dranoff's apartment building 'One Cooper' will go on the lot surrounded by Cooper St, Penn St, Walcott Blvd and Riverside Dr. You can see renderings here:
http://dranoffproperties.com/places/one-cooper/

So the hotel I assume will go on the lot immediately to the West?

And the American Water Headquarters will front the River:

That literally only leaves the two towers left for development. The one immediately to the west of Campbell's field, and the one immediately to the north of the Aquarium and learning center... and obviously the waterfront and pier parks.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2016, 1:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
I agree. I just threw Boston in there because this design is one that was made for a river view.

But yes... Penn's Landing would be ideal. Would complement the area very well, and have a good chance of being built.

Take the parking away, add some retail, give it a mixed used title, and it would sport Philly very well. I think a small marina to spice things up could work. The height itself is not extravagant for Penn's Landing either so it won't stick out like a sore thumb.
Yep 100%. I mean I would love to see something in Camden kind of balance out the east side of the river, but I don't have a lot of faith in NJ embracing anything urban down here. It would look fine in Boston, especially the conservative height, but I think the avant-garde architecture is a bit more Philly.

If there was demand for it, I think it would have already been snatched up by Philly. But that's part of why I think it's a nonstarter. If it isn't viable on Penn's Landing, it's definitely not going to end up in Camden.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2016, 7:24 AM

^^i wouldn't necessarily agree. Camden is the anchor for an entire region, South Jersey, whereas Penn'a landing is just another part of Philly, and a boring somewhat difficult to reach one at that. Plus NJ is giving out tax breaks for companies to move there. Given how quickly we've seen these other parcels moving forward, other companies might want to jump on the ship now that the project looks completely viable.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2016, 1:09 AM

Construction to begin immediately

Liberty Property Trust begins work on Camden Waterfront development

Quote:
Liberty Property Trust has finished assembling land and acquiring development rights for its Camden Waterfront project and plans to immediately begin building at the site.

The first phase of the sprawling $1-billion project includes the construction of One Water Street, a five-story, 222,376-square-foot office project that will serve as the corporate headquarters of American Water when complete in late 2018, Liberty said in a release on Monday.

Work will also begin on an 806-car parking garage, as well as on infrastructure to support the overall development of the larger mixed-use neighborhood planned at the site, according to the release.

Construction is beginning after a 15-month period during which Liberty received approvals from, and negotiated agreements with, the New Jersey Economic Development Authority, Camden County, and other state and local entities, the company said.

Liberty has also reached an agreement with Dranoff Properties, which owns a property near the site that will lose an unimpeded view of the Delaware River due to the Camden Waterfront development, Liberty said.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2016, 1:36 AM

Even though this project has been significantly downsized, I still like it. It doesn't really feel like a $1.0 B project, and the 800-car parking garage feels like overkill given the proximity to PATCO, but it will be something nice to start with in Camden.

The most exciting part about Camden is that its most prime area, the waterfront area near the Cooper Grant neighborhood and Rutgers-Camden, is literally a huge blank slate. 5th Street also has a ton of potential to become a gateway from Rutgers-Camden to a newly enlivened waterfront area by incorporating mixed-use structures into the fabric of the street. I can't believe that so many empty lots exist at City Hall station, the stop of 24/7 subway service to Philadelphia. If this project is successful and Philly real estate prices keep on rising, I can see residential towers taking out other lots in that section of Camden. The draw is two-fold: (currently) unobstructed views of Center City and the BFB, and 24/7 service across the river. The difference in taxes may also be a draw to some people.

Camden is definitely on the upswing!

Temple University '18 ']['

Old Posted Dec 6, 2016, 4:22 PM

Construction begins on $1B Camden Waterfront project

Quote:
After 15 months of negotiations, Liberty Property Trust has announced that it is ready to immediately begin construction on its $1 billion Camden Waterfront project.

First up: Breaking ground on American Water Works Company’s new headquarters, a five-story, 222,376-square-foot office plus an 806-car garage. It’s scheduled to open in 2018 and will aim for LEED Platinum Core and Shell certification.

That’s just the beginning of the $1 billion master plan, which was designed by Robert A.M. Stern and first announced in September 2015. In addition to the HQ, the mixed-use development plans for a 180-room Hilton Garden Inn, 188 residential units, and 2.5 more acres of public space on the waterfront.

The new renderings released with the announcement reveal two very different looking towers than the original plans. In March, the New Jersey's Economic Development Authority approved the official master plan, but not without a number of revisions. The whole site was reduced by 22 percent.

In order to begin development, Liberty Property Trust spent the past year acquiring land and development rights; Dranoff Properties agreed to remove an impeding view easement restriction, for one.

Liberty also finalized its Community Investment Agreement with Camden. The developers have agreed to recruit Camden residents for construction jobs, offer local students internships, and incorporate temporary murals to the project.

In addition, 20 percent of the residential units will be affordable housing.

John Gattuso, Liberty Property Trust regional director, described the future waterfront as “an energetic high performance community.” It will be located just off the Ben Franklin Bridge, so accessible via bike, PATCO, and car.
http://philly.curbed.com/2016/12/6/1...obert-am-stern

Old Posted Dec 6, 2016, 4:49 PM

I can confirm this, lots of heavy equipment on site and the roads around the site have been closed.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2016, 5:01 PM
BANNED

not seeing a billion dollars there. A few hundred million maybe.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2016, 5:20 PM

Looks like 8 buildings, two of which are highrises. That's probably at least $700 million there. Then, between the 4 parking garages, the massive waterfront park, and the repaving roads, etc.... I could easily see a billion here.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2016, 5:21 PM
Mr. Technology

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Looks like 8 buildings, two of which are highrises. That's probably at least $700 million there. Then, between the 4 parking garages, the massive waterfront park, and the repaving roads, etc.... I could easily see a billion here.
Hey, that's a start and gives Philly a mini Jersey City.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2016, 5:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechTalkGuy View Post
Hey, that's a start and gives Philly a mini Jersey City.
Between this, the Campbell's area redevelopment with Brandywine Realty Trust, and everything that Cooper Hospital and Rutgers are doing... Camden is definitely on the up!

Old Posted Dec 7, 2016, 8:11 PM

From the Philadelphia Business Journal

Quote:
Liberty Property Trust (NYSE: LPT) said it broke ground Monday on One Water St., 5-story, 222,376-square-foot new headquarters for American Water (NYSE: AWK) in Camden.

“As we shift into the development of the Camden Waterfront, our focus shifts too, from that of a vision to that of a reality and that is a very exciting thing,” said John Gattuso, regional director of Liberty Property, in a statement.

This marks the first building of a $1 billion mixed- use community Liberty is embarking on along the Camden waterfront. The Malvern real estate investment trust announced in September 2015 that it intended to make a significant commitment in Camden and outlined a master plan it had come up with for the waterfront.

At build out, the community Liberty is developing will have 1.45 million square feet of build-to-suit office space, a 180-room Hilton Garden Inn developed by Ensemble Real Estate Solutions, and a 188-unit multifamily project that, if an agreement is finalized, will be developed by the Michaels Organization and will have 20 percent of its units as affordable housing.

The primary investors of the hotel and apartment projects are a group of local businessmen, some of whom are politically connected, including: George E. Norcross III, who serves as executive chairman of Connor Strong & Buckelew; Mike Levitt and John O’Donnell of the Michaels Organization, a Marlton, N.J., residential development company; and Sidney, Jeff and Ike Brown of NFI Industries. In October, the Norcross led group also bought the Ferry Terminal building in Camden for $16.5 million.

Liberty’s efforts are among several other projects underway in Camden with the support of the state’s Grow N.J. economic development program. Other buildings for a range of companies, including Holtec International and Subaru America Inc., are being constructed and, cumulatively, the private and public investment is aimed at lifting Camden up from decades of economic depression.
http://www.bizjournals.com/philadelp...berty-cre.html

Old Posted Dec 7, 2016, 8:22 PM

did it really break ground? I can see the site from my apartment and no one's there.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2016, 8:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry King View Post
did it really break ground? I can see the site from my apartment and no one's there.
I believe they had the "ceremonial" ground breaking. I would imagine work will start in earnest over the next few weeks.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2016, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Between this, the Campbell's area redevelopment with Brandywine Realty Trust, and everything that Cooper Hospital and Rutgers are doing... Camden is definitely on the up!
It is. But it's going to take a long time before middle-income people start living there (rather than commuting) in any sizable numbers.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2016, 11:36 PM
Hello

Old Posted Dec 11, 2016, 1:41 PM
Hello

Work begins on North Camden waterfront park

http://www.courierpostonline.com/sto...park/94788266/

Old Posted Dec 11, 2016, 5:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbrook View Post
It is. But it's going to take a long time before middle-income people start living there (rather than commuting) in any sizable numbers.
Yes... it's a nice thought isn't it? Camden is the poorest city in America, and after all this time, it may be getting its chance to be a good city again.

You know what would be nice, though? If minor league baseball returned to Campbell's Field.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2016, 7:07 PM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Saturn64 View Post
You know what would be nice, though? If minor league baseball returned to Campbell's Field.
Temple restarting baseball and leasing the field would be nice too.

But seriously, it needs to be put back in use.

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted Dec 12, 2016, 2:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Saturn64 View Post
Yes... it's a nice thought isn't it? Camden is the poorest city in America, and after all this time, it may be getting its chance to be a good city again.

There will be new residents/ 'gentrification' there eventually, it's a well connected urban area with thousands of new jobs coming in.

new jobs -> new lunch spots. New lunch spots start serving dinner and all the sudden you have a night life in camden. People will live where they can walk to work and to a decent restaurant.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive