HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Aug 16, 2008, 4:52 PM
BANNED

Cool CHICAGO | Navy Pier Redevelopment

Future plans
On January 13, 2006, the Metropolitan Pier and Exposition Authority released plans for a major renovation of the pier which would include a monorail, a 260-foot (79 m) spokeless Ferris wheel, a roller coaster, floating hotel, and an 80,000-square-foot (7,000 m²) water park with a Great Lakes theme. The plan would include nearly double the current parking and a replacement theater with a greater capacity. At the time of the announcement, a price tag of $2 billion was announced.

I got this from wiki and I wanted to know if it was true. If it is then that would be so cool!

This pic is from:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Navy_Pier

Old Posted Aug 16, 2008, 5:00 PM
BANNED

Old Posted Aug 16, 2008, 5:07 PM

I think this project is dead in the water unless it's some convoluted attempt to bail out the McPier budget deficit by improving and then privatizing. McPier is out of cash and the plan seemed to get a negative reaction from the general public when released.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2008, 5:31 PM
BANNED

Unhappy

Oh
Thats too bad

Last edited by America 117; Aug 18, 2008 at 4:29 PM.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2008, 6:51 PM
Deerhoof Evangelist

Here's the proposal:

Kinda cheesy for my taste.

I'd like to see the original Chicago Ferris Wheel resurrected, if nothing else:

Old Posted Aug 16, 2008, 7:14 PM
BANNED

That would have looked so great!
Navy pier really needs a roller coaster.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2008, 1:16 AM

found this nice render, just a vision design

Old Posted Aug 17, 2008, 1:25 AM

^^^ whoa...that looks like Lebbeus Woods.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2008, 8:05 PM
Accountz Payabo

They should do something with the water reclaimation plant or whatever next door.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2008, 10:30 PM

I remember when I was in Chicago in 2006, navy pier struck me as rather corporate flavor of entertainment, a little slice of Orlando on Lake Michigan.

I don't know the history, was this an urban renewal project of a previously blighted area? I would congratulate them in that case, since flashing lights and mojitos are much preferred to spooky, empty warehouses.

I'm not sure about the revamp, I guess it will be interesting to see how things progress. I need to get back soon to see all the new construction and activity!

Old Posted Aug 18, 2008, 7:12 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by philopdx View Post
I don't know the history, was this an urban renewal project of a previously blighted area? I would congratulate them in that case, since flashing lights and mojitos are much preferred to spooky, empty warehouses.
IIRC, Navy Pier was built to consolidate a bunch of docks around the downtown area into one place, so that lakefront and riverfront parks could be built. Since Great Lakes shipping traffic declines in winter, the pier was largely unused and housed large conventions and shows. In WWII, the pier was used by the Navy to train new sailors from around the Midwest, which is when it got the name "Navy Pier" (up until then, it had been called Municipal Pier No. 2).

It later housed a special branch of the University of Illinois, set up to educate large numbers of returning soldiers. This branch eventually moved a few miles away and became UIC, but this left the pier largely unused again until the 1980s, when a massive renovation added the ferris wheel, a food court, winter garden, shopping, the Skyline Stage, the modern convention spaces, and the lakefront promenade. Over the next 10 years, various boat companies were formed to offer lake cruises and tours from Navy Pier's docks.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2008, 1:30 PM
Deerhoof Evangelist

^ And it is now the most popular tourist attraction in all of Illinois - sorta the Great Lakes version of Fisherman's Wharf, minus the chowder bowls. And, perhaps, minus the Kiddies Museum.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2008, 2:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
IIRC, Navy Pier was built to consolidate a bunch of docks around the downtown area into one place, so that lakefront and riverfront parks could be built. Since Great Lakes shipping traffic declines in winter, the pier was largely unused and housed large conventions and shows. In WWII, the pier was used by the Navy to train new sailors from around the Midwest, which is when it got the name "Navy Pier" (up until then, it had been called Municipal Pier No. 2).

It later housed a special branch of the University of Illinois, set up to educate large numbers of returning soldiers. This branch eventually moved a few miles away and became UIC, but this left the pier largely unused again until the 1980s, when a massive renovation added the ferris wheel, a food court, winter garden, shopping, the Skyline Stage, the modern convention spaces, and the lakefront promenade. Over the next 10 years, various boat companies were formed to offer lake cruises and tours from Navy Pier's docks.

Municipal Pier No. 2? Was there another pier somewhere?

What are they going to do with the area of the pier that housed the childrens museum once it leaves. A roller coaster or a waterpark I think would be a great idea to rejuvenate the pier. And a monorail would definitely be a great idea. I know the pier might not look like its that long of a walk, but it takes forever to get around the entire pier...its a much longer walk than it looks!

Old Posted Aug 18, 2008, 4:06 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoguy View Post
A roller coaster or a waterpark I think would be a great idea to rejuvenate the pier.
That would be great!
Just think after walking downtown chicago what better way to end the day then going on a roller coaster on navy pier!
I would love for them to build one it would also be cool if it went over the water.
So many great things could be built on navy pier!

Old Posted Aug 18, 2008, 4:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by America 117 View Post
That would be great!
Just think after walking downtown chicago what better way to end the day then going on a roller coaster on navy pier!
I would love for them to build one it would also be cool if it went over the water.
So many great things could be built on navy pier!
Yes I agree...Navy Pier is a great asset to our city and could only get better with improvements now!

Old Posted Aug 18, 2008, 4:15 PM
Chicago carpetbagger

Just my two cents, but Daley's plan to move the Children's museum is moronic. Navy Pier is all about family activities. Why they would want to pull the Children's museum makes no sense to me.

As for those that say Navy Pier has a corporate theme to it, I would agree. But then, McPier can't run a profit as it is, so pulling all the cheesy vendors isn't going to work unless they privatize it.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2008, 4:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoChicago View Post
Just my two cents, but Daley's plan to move the Children's museum is moronic. Navy Pier is all about family activities. Why they would want to pull the Children's museum makes no sense to me.

As for those that say Navy Pier has a corporate theme to it, I would agree. But then, McPier can't run a profit as it is, so pulling all the cheesy vendors isn't going to work unless they privatize it.
Yes I agree with you...I dont understand why he wants to move the museum...it is perfectly fine where it is! But is he does move it elsewhere I hope something great takes its place!

Old Posted Aug 18, 2008, 4:32 PM
BANNED

Whats in the childrens museum?
whats so great about it? I wouldent really care if they take it awey.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2008, 4:46 PM
Chicago carpetbagger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoguy View Post
Yes I agree with you...I dont understand why he wants to move the museum...it is perfectly fine where it is! But is he does move it elsewhere I hope something great takes its place!
Knowing Daley, it's all about ego. He wants to prove he can building Grant Park. This town doesn't have enough green space as it is. Pisses me off.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2008, 4:47 PM
Chicago carpetbagger

Quote:
Originally Posted by America 117 View Post
Whats in the childrens museum?
whats so great about it? I wouldent really care if they take it awey.
Why do you hate the children?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development