HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Buildings & Architecture, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Dec 4, 2017, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobyoby View Post
No, Socguy was right, You missed the point. The point being that the city spends billions on useful but mundane items such as road repair and pipes, etc... yet, a couple hundred thousand for art becomes a huge deal. Art is just as useful as roads and pipes, but in a different way and it comes at a minute fraction of the cost.
Execution is more the issue than the strategy. Sure the quality of art is subjective, but the City has made some unbelievably stupid decisions that diminish its credibility. No art would look good in the location of the blue hoop. An even bigger concern is whether placement would distract drivers. The Bowfort Towers are almost as bad. Supposedly a committee approved these. Seems like they were checking boxes on the path to #progressive righteousness. Was anyone fired over either bad decision?

I lived in Edmonton during similar debates in the early 90s. Progressive cities supposedly invest in public art so bad decisions be damned, check off that box. Some of boondoggles of the era included expensive European tiles along a freeway that cracked during temperature swings (who would have thought that might be an issue?) and a pedway sculpture that was too big to fit in the planned space.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2017, 11:35 PM
No man's land

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
Shouldn't replacing this truss add $170,000 for new public art?
The old truss will be painted yellow and put on some concrete plinths next to the SW ring road.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2017, 4:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburgatory View Post
The old truss will be painted yellow and put on some concrete plinths next to the SW ring road.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2017, 4:53 AM
BANNED

Quote:
My understanding is that the truss is not being replaced, but being reinforced with plates. The result will be a member that is stronger than before, and they will be able to house more people in that section of city hall that previous.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2017, 5:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbia View Post
My understanding is that the truss is not being replaced, but being reinforced with plates. The result will be a member that is stronger than before, and they will be able to house more people in that section of city hall that previous.
If you do the math, you'll see his post was more about the 1% going to public art, not so much whether it was replaced or reinforced.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2017, 2:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndogger View Post
There's absolutely no connection between this incident and public art.

Exactly

Old Posted Dec 5, 2017, 3:29 PM

You couldn't have said it better. Most people can agree that public art has a place and is good for society, but the way the city has approached it has been retarded. It feels like the old 'throw money at it' mentality.

The Giant Blue ring might be better in a different location, the location is terrible. People barely get a chance to take a look at it, and those that do look at it (people like Suburbia) are doing it while they are driving. Not very smart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
Execution is more the issue than the strategy. Sure the quality of art is subjective, but the City has made some unbelievably stupid decisions that diminish its credibility. No art would look good in the location of the blue hoop. An even bigger concern is whether placement would distract drivers. The Bowfort Towers are almost as bad. Supposedly a committee approved these. Seems like they were checking boxes on the path to #progressive righteousness. Was anyone fired over either bad decision?

I lived in Edmonton during similar debates in the early 90s. Progressive cities supposedly invest in public art so bad decisions be damned, check off that box. Some of boondoggles of the era included expensive European tiles along a freeway that cracked during temperature swings (who would have thought that might be an issue?) and a pedway sculpture that was too big to fit in the planned space.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2017, 4:59 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by topdog View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbia View Post
Quote:
If you do the math, you'll see his post was more about the 1% going to public art, not so much whether it was replaced or reinforced.
If you read carefully, you'll note I was not commenting about the 1%, but rather the construction aspect (which seemed relevant for this construction thread).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndogger View Post
There's absolutely no connection between this incident and public art.
Yeah. And I think it odd when some people actually get upset when we talk construction.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2017, 5:07 PM

The most entertaining piece of art in the city is...............................

The Sage Hill Rock

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...431931?cmp=rss

Old Posted Dec 5, 2017, 8:06 PM
Build'em high!

This thread is full of garbage most of the time, but this is a gem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishthebow View Post
The most entertaining piece of art in the city is...............................

The Sage Hill Rock

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...431931?cmp=rss

Old Posted Dec 5, 2017, 10:26 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Quote:
Originally Posted by Western Spaghetti View Post
This thread is full of garbage most of the time, but this is a gem.
https://twitter.com/977HTZFM/status/938136712018120705

Old Posted Dec 6, 2017, 5:19 AM

Here's another awesome example of public art. I had no idea this existed until it was brought to light by Sean Chu on Twitter. This one cost $1.57 Million

Old Posted Dec 6, 2017, 5:15 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Lol, I actually thought you were showing some sort of pilings and was making a joke, until I scrolled down.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2017, 6:37 PM
Urbanite by Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern View Post
Here's another awesome example of public art. I had no idea this existed until it was brought to light by Sean Chu on Twitter. This one cost $1.57 Million

That makes for very pricey lightning rods

Old Posted Dec 6, 2017, 10:50 PM

Such a waste of money. I'm waiting to see what the response is from Druh's minions on this. Hard to come back with any kind of an argument.

Quote:

Old Posted Dec 6, 2017, 11:02 PM

I don't mind it. It fits and flows into the landscape nicely, and I think the artist captured the essence of what she was trying to accomplish as creating a space for thoughtful meditation in a park.

I'm not sure what people are expecting. We are spending a million here and a million there for art levies to create and improve public spaces. Is the problem the artists aren't good enough? Do people think we should be spending more on better more impactful artwork?

Maybe on their own, Bowfort Towers, the Blue Ring, and the Sentinels don't give you the wow factor, but they all contribute to the art landscape throughout the city, and are landmarks, areas to explore, and integrate into the public realm to form a holistic improvement to our city scapes.

I think Beltline's "Chinook Arc", and the Telus Sky LED light show are one form of art, and these structures are another. I don't think every piece of art needs to be a flashy superficial Shanghai/Hong Kong inspired light show.

It's easy to complain about art, it's hard to present a coherent solution. If you just want pretty lights everywhere, be honest about it. These pieces of art are all from established artists, many of whom wish to contribute and pay respects to the landscape the art is placed in - and having them in our city, in my opinion, does add value.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2017, 11:14 PM

What a waste of money.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2017, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geotag277 View Post
I don't mind it. It fits and flows into the landscape nicely, and I think the artist captured the essence of what she was trying to accomplish as creating a space for thoughtful meditation in a park.

I'm not sure what people are expecting. We are spending a million here and a million there for art levies to create and improve public spaces. Is the problem the artists aren't good enough? Do people think we should be spending more on better more impactful artwork?

Maybe on their own, Bowfort Towers, the Blue Ring, and the Sentinels don't give you the wow factor, but they all contribute to the art landscape throughout the city, and are landmarks, areas to explore, and integrate into the public realm to form a holistic improvement to our city scapes.

I think Beltline's "Chinook Arc", and the Telus Sky LED light show are one form of art, and these structures are another. I don't think every piece of art needs to be a flashy superficial Shanghai/Hong Kong inspired light show.

It's easy to complain about art, it's hard to present a coherent solution. If you just want pretty lights everywhere, be honest about it. These pieces of art are all from established artists, many of whom wish to contribute and pay respects to the landscape the art is placed in - and having them in our city, in my opinion, does add value.
I don't mind it either but how could that cost $1.57 million or whatever the exact cost was?

Old Posted Dec 7, 2017, 12:41 AM
BANNED

Quote:

Do you have a link to background on this one? Seems unfathomable!

Blue hoola hoop is so much better. Honest.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2017, 1:20 AM
Reach for the heavens

And the whole crux of the art issue can be summed up with this post. The art installation looks like crap, and 95% would agree that it looks crap, but there are always that 5% that find something redeemable in it and thus ruin it for the other 95%.

Like buddy, do you even look at it???

Quote:
Originally Posted by geotag277 View Post

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Buildings & Architecture, Urban Design & Heritage Issues