HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Arthaus in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Philadelphia Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Philadelphia Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted May 16, 2014, 4:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Article on this from PlanPhilly:

I think this tower is in fact 47 floors, not 46

http://planphilly.com/articles/2014/...rs-last-hurdle
Maybe we can get them to add a few more feet to push this one over 600, like we got Brandywine to push FMC over 700.

Old Posted May 16, 2014, 4:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly Fan View Post
Maybe we can get them to add a few more feet to push this one over 600, like we got Brandywine to push FMC over 700.
All we need is one more floor!

Haha

Old Posted May 16, 2014, 4:37 PM

I really want to like this project, but man, I just can't get on-board with it. From a skyline perspective it is wonderful. It'll be nice to get another tall (+500') building away from the cluster around suburban station (and also south of walnut). But everything else about this project bothers me. I do wish it was a classic-styled building and not a box. The thing I love about Broad street is all the big bulky pre-war buildings making a huge canyon (think 1 south broad, Ritz-Carlton, the Atlantic building etc.) to me it just does not fit in with the glass box. I know most people hate Symphony house, but I like it more and I feel it fits in better with broad street more than SLS. I think more people would have liked Symphony House if it wasn't pink (I wonder if funneling all the smog from the cities smoke stacks at Symphony house would alter the color enough that it would look better). And then there is all the parking (on a subway line) and removal of a street from the grid etc. etc. I just can't seem to share in the excitement.

Old Posted May 16, 2014, 5:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blorkishdork View Post
I really want to like this project, but man, I just can't get on-board with it. From a skyline perspective it is wonderful. It'll be nice to get another tall (+500') building away from the cluster around suburban station (and also south of walnut). But everything else about this project bothers me. I do wish it was a classic-styled building and not a box. The thing I love about Broad street is all the big bulky pre-war buildings making a huge canyon (think 1 south broad, Ritz-Carlton, the Atlantic building etc.) to me it just does not fit in with the glass box. I know most people hate Symphony house, but I like it more and I feel it fits in better with broad street more than SLS. I think more people would have liked Symphony House if it wasn't pink (I wonder if funneling all the smog from the cities smoke stacks at Symphony house would alter the color enough that it would look better). And then there is all the parking (on a subway line) and removal of a street from the grid etc. etc. I just can't seem to share in the excitement.
If it was a big bulky pre-war building it would funnel too much wind, this sleek building is more aerodynamic. I think that a modern building on the block will help cut it up a bit and make you appreciate the older buildings more.

Look at the Ritz residents and the Ritz-Carlton, I think the two work off each other well.

Old Posted May 16, 2014, 5:04 PM

This is a beautiful modern building, and I'm agree that the modern buildings like this tend to go well with older historic buildings.

I think we should all be happy we are getting this. Much better than what is there now and more residents and tourists adding more foot traffic to South Broad will be a welcome addition!

Old Posted May 16, 2014, 5:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baconboy007 View Post
If it was a big bulky pre-war building it would funnel too much wind, this sleek building is more aerodynamic.
Exactly. There's WAY too much wind in Center City because of all the tall buildings, and it's only going to get worse.

I'm VERY concerned that with the construction of CITC--and that proposed tower at 19th and Chestnut--we may create a windy vortex of epic proportions.

Old Posted May 16, 2014, 5:13 PM
Philly Rising Up!

And, it's 2014. Other major cities (domestic and abroad) are well ahead of us with modern skyscrapers and from a big picture, it's nice to see a mix of the old and new in proximity of each other.

Old Posted May 16, 2014, 6:27 PM
Chairman

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartphilly View Post
And, it's 2014. Other major cities (domestic and abroad) are well ahead of us with modern skyscrapers and from a big picture, it's nice to see a mix of the old and new in proximity of each other.
Absolutely agreed. I think a variety of architectural styles gives character to a city's skyline as oppose to numerous structures from one era. It give the skyline an appearance of economic growth spread out through the various generations of architectural styles. Thus giving its own identity.

-sb

Last edited by shakman; May 18, 2014 at 2:33 AM.

Old Posted May 16, 2014, 7:49 PM

I actually think this is a super sexy building, I love the mix of elements. So much better than the Pepto Bismol House.

Old Posted May 16, 2014, 8:27 PM

"If it were a big bulky pre-war building it would funnel too much wind,"

The PSFS building 1929-1931 is pre war and has cantilevered south elevation 80+ years ahead of SLS!

Old Posted May 16, 2014, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly Fan View Post
Exactly. There's WAY too much wind in Center City because of all the tall buildings, and it's only going to get worse.

I'm VERY concerned that with the construction of CITC--and that proposed tower at 19th and Chestnut--we may create a windy vortex of epic proportions.
I'm looking forward to Category 5 Hurricane force winds!
You know, that same person who complained about the wind probably never lived thru a hurricane. I, however, speak from experience. I lived in Florida(in the Keys) just in time for Katrina, Rita, AND Wilma! All in a time span of 3 months! God, I never wanna do that again Oh, and I was living in a trailer too! ) I'm lucky to be alive today!

Old Posted May 16, 2014, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josef View Post
I actually think this is a super sexy building, I love the mix of elements. So much better than the Pepto Bismol House.
Me too! Have you seen the SLS in Miami? Even sexier

Old Posted May 16, 2014, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmikeyphilly View Post
Me too! Have you seen the SLS in Miami? Even sexier
Oh that's funny, it has similar aesthetics, but it's put together in a different much different configuration. Cool!

Old Posted May 21, 2014, 8:53 PM

new article about SLS

Old Posted May 22, 2014, 3:33 PM

wait a tic! the tower is on the broad street side!?! For some reason I thought that the was on spruce and would be offset from Broad Street.

Old Posted May 22, 2014, 4:35 PM
Φιλαδέλφεια

Quote:
Originally Posted by blorkishdork View Post
I respectfully disagree. I feel as though the renderings are amazing, and if the building is true to the renderings, then this building will be a trophy on S. Broad st.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2014, 4:37 AM

Don't know if it just got delivered or I'm just noticing it but a large dumpster is on site. It looks like they're clearing some of the brush.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2014, 3:17 AM

White notices went up on the windows of the old building. I was running late so didn't stop to read them. I walk by everyday, maybe I'll check it out tomorrow.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2014, 1:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly-Drew View Post
I respectfully disagree. I feel as though the renderings are amazing, and if the building is true to the renderings, then this building will be a trophy on S. Broad st.
Agreed. All those copycat towers and buildings throughout the city look super cheesy. A modern jewel will look great next to those grand old buildings. On the contrary, the SymPHONY House looks all the more fake surrounded by towers actually built with real limestone and brick, not cheap pre-fab cladding. Maybe in Dallas or KoP, people wouldn't notice how obviously fake it looks. The American Revolution Museum (which will sit right next to the beautiful Customs House) may end up taking SH's crown for most obviously fake looking cheap crap built in this city.

SLS on the other hand will be great and I can't wait to see this construction start.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2014, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBane View Post
The American Revolution Museum (which will sit right next to the beautiful Customs House) may end up taking SH's crown for most obviously fake looking cheap crap built in this city.

Is that the one Stern is butchering? I usually like his work but those museum renderings look really bad.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive