HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Aug 2, 2019, 6:39 PM

This design is too short. Need to add 20 or so stories to it.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2019, 6:43 PM
Philly Pholly

Old Posted Aug 2, 2019, 6:48 PM

Also, the Morgan Lewis name/logo will be on top of the building in 2 locations, facing north on Market Street, and west towards 30th Street.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2019, 7:03 PM

Love this project, and I’m happy to hear it confirmed. I guess that means that Chubb is definitely moving into the new building at 20th and Arch, no?

While the height is lacking, this area is a dead zone and there’s a 500’er proposed across the street. I’m looking forward to West Market going forward.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2019, 9:18 PM

Ugh, more logos/company names on top of buildings. Super tacky. Not a fan.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2019, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eixample View Post
Ugh, more logos/company names on top of buildings. Super tacky. Not a fan.
I think this happens in cities all over the US.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2019, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardeza View Post
I think this happens in cities all over the US.
And I am not a fan of any of it being done in excess in any city. Nor am I fan of urban billboards, in which Philly proliferates. Its always curious to me to see which companies push for these. A firm like Morgan Lewis wouldnt seem to be the type to me - I certainly understand why they want to get their name out to the Acela set but it still strikes me odd that a firm with elite global pretensions would do it. This sign is certainly not the worst thing in the world though, I don't want to be too curmudgeonly or a buzzkill on this positive development.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2019, 1:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eixample View Post
And I am not a fan of any of it being done in excess in any city. Nor am I fan of urban billboards, in which Philly proliferates. Its always curious to me to see which companies push for these. A firm like Morgan Lewis wouldnt seem to be the type to me - I certainly understand why they want to get their name out to the Acela set but it still strikes me odd that a firm with elite global pretensions would do it. This sign is certainly not the worst thing in the world though, I don't want to be too curmudgeonly or a buzzkill on this positive development.
I think you’re wrong on the last points. The whole reason why Morgan is building a new building is to impress, and be a 21st century law firm. I bet putting the logo on top is something they very much wanted, and don’t see it as tacky—but a sort of chest-puffing. You want to be here, type of thing.

^^also speaking of signage, WSFS is in the process of replacing the Beneficial sign atop 1818 Market.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2019, 4:19 PM
Philly Pholly

Off subject, but I was wondering why the Blue Cross Building doesn't use the original elaborate lighting scheme?

Old Posted Aug 6, 2019, 6:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEFTA View Post
Off subject, but I was wondering why the Blue Cross Building doesn't use the original elaborate lighting scheme?
I've wondered as well - especially after they spent $$10s of millions sprucing/modernizing their pedestrian entrance and experience - and since LED technology almost eliminates the cost factor of crown lighting...seems to just be the typical Philadelphia shrug. Due to the lack of lighting and the building's very dark skin tone, it has a hulking presence on the skyline.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2019, 2:42 AM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

Some I can't quite get over is how there are only two other properties that'll be left facing the 2200 block of Market. Whatever eventually replaces them will have to be extremely skinny!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonee View Post
Some attention now goes across the street with that absurd lot.

Can someone explain to me:

1) why their over-all Market value has stayed the same for the past 7 years and meanwhile everyone else's in the area - including mine 4 blocks south - continues to climb?

2) What did they "improve" for 2020 to earn a $7.4mm exemption on the property?

3) WHy did their taxable land value decrease in 2020? Isn't that the opposite of what the city is trying to do?

F*&K this lot and these jack-asses for squatting on it.
Believe it or not, that lost used to be used for gas storage:

Source

IIRC the site is still contaminated which naturally continues to put a damper on its redevelopment.

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted Sep 24, 2019, 7:13 PM

Q2 2020 start date according to the CCD Development report:

Old Posted Oct 1, 2019, 9:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
Philly keeps the ball rolling with these office developments...

Title: 2222 Market
Project: Office
Architect: Gensler
Developer: Parkway
Neighborhood: Center City West
District: Center City
Floors: 18 floors
Height: 220 feet

Plan for new law firm HQ tower on Market Street receives upbeat welcome from neighborhood committee
this design is awesome i love it it looks so modern while retaining a connection to the area it in
build it

Old Posted Oct 2, 2019, 2:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonee View Post

Some attention now goes across the street with that absurd lot.

Can someone explain to me:

1) why their over-all Market value has stayed the same for the past 7 years and meanwhile everyone else's in the area - including mine 4 blocks south - continues to climb?

2) What did they "improve" for 2020 to earn a $7.4mm exemption on the property?

3) WHy did their taxable land value decrease in 2020? Isn't that the opposite of what the city is trying to do?

F*&K this lot and these jack-asses for squatting on it.
Ask Helen Gym and Alan Domb how this is allowed to happen. My taxes in Northern Liberties have tripled in 5 years (thanks, Kenney!!!).

Old Posted Oct 30, 2019, 6:39 PM

Funny how renderings aren't showing the other side. But looking at the renders you can see the core against the south face. I believe there could be a blank wall

Old Posted Oct 31, 2019, 12:15 AM
Philly Rising Up!

Old Posted Nov 13, 2019, 4:04 PM

Unhappy Adjacent Condo Building

Morgan Lewis had the opportunity to build on other sites for additional tax savings, but chose to build on the 23rd and Market lot. What does this building mean for the neighboring condo building who's views and property values are about to be destroyed? They clearly don't care about the local community they are moving into.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2019, 4:39 PM
Philly Pholly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin226 View Post
Morgan Lewis had the opportunity to build on other sites for additional tax savings, but chose to build on the 23rd and Market lot. What does this building mean for the neighboring condo building who's views and property values are about to be destroyed? They clearly don't care about the local community they are moving into.
Yes. Who could've predicted they build a tower on Market Street? What neighboring condo building? Did you think this Market Street would remain vacant so another building could have a view?

Old Posted Nov 13, 2019, 4:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEFTA View Post
Yes. Who could've predicted they build a tower on Market Street? What neighboring condo building? Did you think this Market Street would remain vacant so another building could have a view?
He's talking about the building at 23rd and Ludlow. It's just the north facing units that'll struggle. It's like a 5 story building - my rowhome is nearly as tall - if you invested here expecting your views to be preserved forever, then that's kind of silly.

Also, thousands of highly paid lawyers are moving into a state of the art building right next door - I find it hard to believe that your property values will be that dramatically affected once the dust settles.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2019, 5:15 PM

They picked that site due to their relationship with Parkway (parking) who owns the lot (as well as the garage in the current Morgan Lewis building), and the site's location on Market Street--with zero encumbrances, close to 30th Street Station/Amtrak/Septa, which falls in line with Center City's continuous movement westward towards University City and Schuylkill Yards.

Kevin226 post sounds incredibly selfish.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive