HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Buildings & Architecture, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Dec 11, 2017, 5:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelebes View Post
My comment is only limited to works of art where the only means of interaction is to zip by it. Parks can work provided that there are connections to it and such. Then any such public art put there could be primarily enjoyed by those strolling through it.
The problem with the inaccessible pieces is that unless they fit into the landscape and/or infrastructure extremely well most people think they are a waste of money. A park with art in it (or without as far as I'm concerned) would be much better. And of course the park would be accessible otherwise we'd be back to the same problem.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2017, 4:48 PM
YYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndogger View Post
The problem with the inaccessible pieces is that unless they fit into the landscape and/or infrastructure extremely well most people think they are a waste of money. A park with art in it (or without as far as I'm concerned) would be much better. And of course the park would be accessible otherwise we'd be back to the same problem.
I personally think that the Bowfort towers look not to bad, they just should've been put else where, there are better locations for it.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2017, 6:28 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelebes View Post
I disagree in that freeways can be potential great pieces. The problem seems to stem from pieces that demand physical interaction being placed where that interaction cannot be had. Visual recognition pieces that can be appreciated from a distance are necessary. Hence the flower beds on Whitemud being a good example of placing art on a freeway. The pond below the Talus Dome is another example.
Could you post a pic of the Flower Beds piece? I can't find anything but regular flowers googling it.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2017, 6:30 PM
Fake News

Quote:
What about parks? I'm talking about putting parks under freeway bridges, integrate them into interchanges, etc. Chicano Park in San Diego would be an example.
Unfortunately the salt runoff from the roads in our climate would probably kill everything.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2017, 7:06 PM
Sawmill Billowtoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post
Could you post a pic of the Flower Beds piece? I can't find anything but regular flowers googling it.
I can't find pictures of them either. I just remember them being a fixture of Whitemud west of 111th Street back in the 1990s.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2017, 1:29 AM
Fake News

I paid a visit to the Sentinels last week after our debate. Here's my pic:

Old Posted Dec 13, 2017, 3:00 AM

Quote:
I paid a visit to the Sentinels last week after our debate. Here's my pic:
Is the wall part of the piece? If so, what is it supposed to signify?

Old Posted Dec 13, 2017, 3:11 AM
Fake News

Quote:
Is the wall part of the piece? If so, what is it supposed to signify?
It’s a retaining wall much like the others all around the pond in that section. The landscape feature that goes with the art would be the pyramid shaped mounds of dirt. The whole thing feels really neolithic and timeless in person. Like it’s been there for time immemorial.

I was disappointed they have the pathway leading up to the piece still blocked. It’s been like that for what seems like a year now. I have yet to see it up close.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2017, 4:05 AM

Quote:
It’s a retaining wall much like the others all around the pond in that section. The landscape feature that goes with the art would be the pyramid shaped mounds of dirt. The whole thing feels really neolithic and timeless in person. Like it’s been there for time immemorial.

I was disappointed they have the pathway leading up to the piece still blocked. It’s been like that for what seems like a year now. I have yet to see it up close.
Is this a relatively new piece of art? The nighttime shot with the lighting looks very cool. My only issue is the cost unless I'm not understanding what exactly was involved in it's installation, etc.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2017, 3:19 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Is this a relatively new piece of art? The nighttime shot with the lighting looks very cool. My only issue is the cost unless I'm not understanding what exactly was involved in it's installation, etc.
Looks like it was completed in 2013 according to the website: http://www.calgary.ca/CSPS/Recreatio...c-Artwork.aspx

Some additional info about the piece and the artist there as well.

As for the price tag people seem to forget the cost of fabrication and materials not to mention engineering and installation. Those things add up and for a monumental piece of this size I am not surprised by the cost.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2017, 4:26 PM
Sawmill Billowtoker

For those who have installed a playground at their school, you may know that the cost of all the playground equipment is going to be north of $800,000. And that is without the excavation and labour to set it up.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2019, 7:22 PM
BANNED

Lots more murals coming up in the Beltline this year for the BUMP festival:
https://yycbump.ca/

Credit to SRC for highlighting this to me:
https://calgary.skyrisecities.com/fo...5#post-1474636

Old Posted Aug 12, 2020, 3:57 PM

Mural Giving Wings to the Dream

Seems in our City Councils rush to embrace the latest Cause Celebre they've stirred up another "arts" hornets nest by proposing to paint over an long standing Calgary mural with a BLM message. His Purpleness has been running this ship of fools for almost a decade and now suddenly we need to have 4 BLM murals? This group would paint over the Sistine Chapel if it ran the Vatican, hopefully the public backlash saves the doves!

To say that Calgary city council tends to botch its public art policy would be an understatement. The botch job continues.

Council voted in favour of paying to have the beloved and uplifting mural on the old Calgary Urban Projects Society (CUPS) building downtown at 1st Street and 7th Avenue S.E. to be painted over with a mural revolving around systemic racism and Black Lives Matter.

The “Giving Wings to the Dream” mural of multi-coloured arms and hands releasing a dove of peace into a bright blue Alberta sky is so popular it is highlighted online by international travellers as a “destination” to see and photograph in Calgary.

But now it’s to replaced and that is leading to controversy. An online petition has been started by Maka Onwudiwe on Change.org to stop the destruction of the mural that is still in remarkable condition.

The act of covering a historical and racially inclusive mural about disenfranchised Calgarians with one that only directly recognizes one group is a contradiction of what the BLM movement stands for,” she wrote.

https://calgaryherald.com/opinion/co...-025590ab524e/

‘I believe in science’ is a statement generally made by people who don’t understand much about it. - Judith Curry, Professor Emeritus GIT

Old Posted Aug 13, 2020, 4:06 PM

Isn’t there another high visibility location for the new mural? Why do they have to paint over an existing one?

Old Posted Aug 14, 2020, 4:39 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jawagord View Post
so popular it is highlighted online by international travellers as a “destination” to see and photograph in Calgary
Bwwaahhhahhaa!

Don't get me wrong, the existing mural has some merit, but no international traveler in their right mind has listed it as a destination to travel for LOL!

Last edited by suburb; Aug 14, 2020 at 4:51 AM.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2020, 8:10 PM

Hi purpleness will be gone soon enough. I don't think he's running again, and if he did he'd lose anyhow, so either way he's tomorrow's fertilizer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jawagord View Post
Seems in our City Councils rush to embrace the latest Cause Celebre they've stirred up another "arts" hornets nest by proposing to paint over an long standing Calgary mural with a BLM message. His Purpleness has been running this ship of fools for almost a decade and now suddenly we need to have 4 BLM murals? This group would paint over the Sistine Chapel if it ran the Vatican, hopefully the public backlash saves the doves!

To say that Calgary city council tends to botch its public art policy would be an understatement. The botch job continues.

Council voted in favour of paying to have the beloved and uplifting mural on the old Calgary Urban Projects Society (CUPS) building downtown at 1st Street and 7th Avenue S.E. to be painted over with a mural revolving around systemic racism and Black Lives Matter.

The “Giving Wings to the Dream” mural of multi-coloured arms and hands releasing a dove of peace into a bright blue Alberta sky is so popular it is highlighted online by international travellers as a “destination” to see and photograph in Calgary.

But now it’s to replaced and that is leading to controversy. An online petition has been started by Maka Onwudiwe on Change.org to stop the destruction of the mural that is still in remarkable condition.

The act of covering a historical and racially inclusive mural about disenfranchised Calgarians with one that only directly recognizes one group is a contradiction of what the BLM movement stands for,” she wrote.

https://calgaryherald.com/opinion/co...-025590ab524e/

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Buildings & Architecture, Urban Design & Heritage Issues