HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Business & the Economy

Old Posted Nov 4, 2018, 4:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
Yeah, it's a myth that people grocery shop exclusively in their neighbourhood.
People travel so much during their regular daytime lives that they can shop wherever they are near .
Not in/around Vancouver they don't-when was the last time you boarded the bus and saw someone with bags full of groceries?

That's something one sees in other countries but rarely here-the exception being UBC students on the 99.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2018, 8:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conrad Yablonski View Post
Not in/around Vancouver they don't-when was the last time you boarded the bus and saw someone with bags full of groceries?

That's something one sees in other countries but rarely here-the exception being UBC students on the 99.
Pretty sure office is talking about driving. Most foot traffic leaves with two bags or less - and yes, that is definitely a thing on the bus.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2018, 9:27 AM

Yeah, talking about driving.
and as you mention with T&T, people may do some shopping here and there were it's convenient - i.e. some shopping close to work (not all shopping near home).

Old Posted Nov 4, 2018, 4:28 PM

Quote:
No, just anecdotal.
I suppose it depends on how price conscious you are too.
Most people I know will combine trips to stop off on the way home from a practice or meeting, etc. for a cheaper grocery store like No Frills or a store that has a good sale. (But the No Frills On Broadway can be a zoo on weekends (go at night) and sells out of sale items fast (i.e. pork picnic shoulder $1.00/lb)) https://flyers.smartcanucks.ca/no-frills-canada

It could just be that OV is close enough to other stores (some offering better value (No Frills on Broadway) or better goods and services (Whole Foods) that people go elsewhere. The closest alternatives to UF Yaletwon are Choices on Davie (also pricey), Nesters on Seymour, IGA on Robson (also pricey) and T&T at International Village.
I'm price conscious but my wife is "quality conscious" and does most of the shopping.

I think people shop where it is convenient for them. That could be close to work on a weeknight for a few items, or close to home on a weekend. FWIW we rarely if ever shop on the way home from work, except for an "emergency" item.

Also you're leaving Costco out of the mix there.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2018, 10:37 PM

Where I Live in Coquitlam within a 5 minute drive there is Costco, IKEA, Superstore, Save on foods, Safeway, Hmart, Hannam market, Independent Grocer and Walmart. I mostly go to Superstore. The Independent is only a 5-minute walk and on the way home if I were taking skytrain I would stop there. I just prefer Superstore.

Vancouver also has a lot of good produce stores. There is a Kins in the Lougheed Mall which is good for fruit and produce. I have not seen any similiar produce stores here in Alberta. They probably exist somewhere but aren't part of the shopping scene AFAIK.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2018, 10:39 PM

Burnaby likely to get first BC Cannabis Store in Lower Mainland

By Burnaby Now - November 2, 2018

Burnaby could be among the first Lower Mainland cities to get a government pot shop.

The province’s Liquor Distribution Branch is eager to open B.C. Cannabis Stores in the Lower Mainland and on Vancouver Island, areas known to have “discerning” cannabis customers, according to spokesperson Kate Bilney.

And, she said, Burnaby’s cannabis bylaws make it a likely home for a such a store. The city’s zoning allows for only government stores and bars private retailers.

“Obviously, given that the City of Burnaby is so welcoming to public stores, that is certainly a positive for us,” Bilney said.

Burnaby’s bylaw allows for a maximum of four government stores in the city, one in each of its centres – Edmonds, Lougheed, Brentwood and Metrotown.

“We are investigating potential sites within those four areas,” Bilney said.

But, she said, no lease has been secured and the search for a suitable location is ongoing. Once one is found, the rezoning process with the city could take several more months, Bilney said.

https://www.vancouverisawesome.com/2...re-burnaby-bc/

Old Posted Nov 5, 2018, 3:37 PM

Old Posted Nov 5, 2018, 5:59 PM

Nemesis Coffee, generally consider top 3 in coffee places in Lower Mainland is opening two locations next year. On in "the flower" at the new Emily Carr campus, the other in the new Polygon Gallery in Lower Lonsdale in North Vancouver.

Really looking forward to the North Vancouver. It promises to be "an intensive dive into the world of bread and pastry"

Kind of wondering about the Emily Carr one. There does not seem to be much foot traffic after the core operating hours of the school.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2018, 7:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jozero View Post
Kind of wondering about the Emily Carr one. There does not seem to be much foot traffic after the core operating hours of the school.
Not at all, but when that South Flatz office area opens there will be a lot of workers there without too many other walkable options.

There's already a Kafka Coffee there too. I suppose as far as students go, price means a lot. This place sounds higher end.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2018, 8:45 PM

Quote:
Nemesis Coffee, generally consider top 3 in coffee places in Lower Mainland...
...according to who?

I agree it's good but they don't even roast their own beans. I would say that's kind of a requirement to be considered "top 3".

Old Posted Nov 5, 2018, 8:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeCee View Post
where was the new west rona store?

Lowes is closing 31 Rona Stores in Canada and 20 Lowes stores in the USA

https://business.financialpost.com/n...-in-u-s-canada

Old Posted Nov 5, 2018, 8:52 PM

Line-up greets Canada Goose’s Vancouver flagship-store launch

Venerable Canadian winter-wear brand’s 9th store is its first on the west coast of the Americas

By Glen Korstrom | November 2, 2018

Canada Goose's new store at Pacific Centre attracted a line-up of shoppers on November 2 | Glen Korstrom

(Image: A security guard stands outside the Canada Goose store at Pacific Centre | Glen Korstrom)

https://biv.com/article/2018/11/line...p-store-launch

Old Posted Nov 5, 2018, 9:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
I'm price conscious but my wife is "quality conscious" and does most of the shopping.

I think people shop where it is convenient for them. That could be close to work on a weeknight for a few items, or close to home on a weekend. FWIW we rarely if ever shop on the way home from work, except for an "emergency" item.

Also you're leaving Costco out of the mix there.
I usually grocery shop as the last task of an outing (practices, gym, meeting friends, etc), so my grocery shopping usually occurs between 9pm and midnight!
Not a Costco member as I live alone - but I tag along with friends on occasion.

Quote:
One very weird thought …
North Face has the office space mezzanine above the 7-Eleven.
Theoretically, if it wanted to expand, it could tie the 7-Eleven space back to its space fronting Granville St.
Speaking of the Granville North Face store - it was closed at 12 noon today.
Could be closing down?

Maybe a new retailer will take both the 7-Eleven and the North Face spaces (L-shaped wrapping from Granville to Robson)?

Old Posted Nov 5, 2018, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
where was the new west rona store?

Lowes is closing 31 Rona Stores in Canada and 20 Lowes stores in the USA

https://business.financialpost.com/n...-in-u-s-canada
Over by New West Station. I'm surprised it lasted this long as it's a tiny store.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2018, 5:13 AM

oh ok right, near the save on foods.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2018, 8:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefox View Post
...according to who?

I agree it's good but they don't even roast their own beans. I would say that's kind of a requirement to be considered "top 3".
Georgia Straight reader awards, and the well regarded Coffee Snob reviewer.

https://www.vancouvercoffeesnob.com

Also, me

What do you rank as top 3?

Old Posted Nov 7, 2018, 7:02 AM

Quote:
Georgia Straight reader awards, and the well regarded Coffee Snob reviewer.

https://www.vancouvercoffeesnob.com

Also, me

What do you rank as top 3?
I don't think in a city like this it's wise to rank a top anything. 😉

Old Posted Nov 7, 2018, 11:56 AM

Bowring and Bombay declare insolvency
https://www.thestar.com/business/201...nsolvency.html

Old Posted Nov 7, 2018, 6:48 PM

Quote:
Bowring and Bombay declare insolvency
https://www.thestar.com/business/201...nsolvency.html
Bombay's furniture and home decor styles are too niche. The classics can be pretty outdated and tacky in modern condos and houses. I see them doing better in Eastern Canada, but not for the rest of the country. They should've moved on with the times to incorporate more contemporary pieces. Not surprised of its demise. They have 43 stores throughout the country, so I can't understand why they couldn't just shut down most of them when sales started to decline and consolidate to only a couple of stores, especially those that do better sales. Perhaps they could've avoided having to declare insolvency if they were to do that?

Old Posted Nov 7, 2018, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin View Post
… They have 43 stores throughout the country, so I can't understand why they couldn't just shut down most of them when sales started to decline and consolidate to only a couple of stores, especially those that do better sales. Perhaps they could've avoided having to declare insolvency if they were to do that?
… like Restoration Hardware is doing...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Business & the Economy