HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Old Posted Jul 24, 2019, 5:43 PM

During the renovations, I wonder if they'll orient the Bulletin building to open up more to JFK. It's basically a windowless wall along the 3000 block - might be a good spot to carve out some groundfloor retail and help activate this area.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2019, 5:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonee View Post
During the renovations, I wonder if they'll orient the Bulletin building to open up more to JFK. It's basically a windowless wall along the 3000 block - might be a good spot to carve out some groundfloor retail and help activate this area.
Good thought, and I don't see a reason why they couldn't. If they don't, it's a bit of a missed opportunity.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2019, 1:26 PM

[QUOTE=Aaamazarite;8640517]I believe they mean 3001 and 3025 JFK. Those are the ones they are pushing for lease on their website and those are the ones that have recently gotten permits for site prep. In the renderings, 3025 is taller than the FMC tower![/QU

Amazing. I'm beyond hyped for this to begin so quickly. I thought it would take years.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2019, 11:59 AM

Old Posted Jul 26, 2019, 1:58 PM

nice, I see they're removing the existing facade. Pretty excited to see all the changes on the way. I wish they kept that funky roof deck in the design though. I hope they end up decking over those tracks you can see in the bottom-right corner of Jawnadelphia's photo.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2019, 2:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyDreamsReturns View Post
From Brandywine Realty Trusts earnings call transcript:

Current design efforts, as we've outlined in this sup, really focus on our West Tower, which consists of retail parking, about 200,000 square feet of office and 326 apartment units, which is being done in conjunction with our residential partner, Gotham. Work on a primarily office-based East Tower is also progressing. And notably, planning is under way on a 300,000 to 400,000 dedicated life science tower that we're doing in conjunction with our life science partner, Longfellow. Our leasing pipeline is extremely healthy, including almost 500,000 square feet of life science uses. Given our read of the residential market and partnership with Gotham, we could be in a position to go on the West Tower by year-end 2019.

https://www.nasdaq.com/article/brand...ript-cm1181662
Just read this again and realized he's talking about 3 different buildings, not just the East and West towers. Duh! Awesome!

Old Posted Jul 26, 2019, 4:11 PM

See image below. I think they're talking about 3001 JFK Blvd, 3051 JFK Blvd East, and 3051 JFK Blvd West

https://schuylkillyards.com/developm...huylkill-yards

Old Posted Jul 26, 2019, 4:54 PM

^^^^^^^^^
3001 JFK in the above map is a site that Amtrak owns and was trying to market just after their master plan was released. Is it now part of Brandywine's project? If so that's really surprising and good news

Old Posted Jul 26, 2019, 5:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Wide View Post
^^^^^^^^^
3001 JFK in the above map is a site that Amtrak owns and was trying to market just after their master plan was released. Is it now part of Brandywine's project? If so that's really surprising and good news
No quite - the Amtrak parcel is next to that one on the map, closer to 30th St. Currently it is a hole in the ground, which is why Brandywine's parcel is labeled 3001 JFK, because their technically isn't a street-level address on the Amtrak site. The Amtrak site would probably get a 30th St. address if built on.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2019, 6:00 PM

Yeah, the white spot to the right of 3001 Market is the Amtrak hole. What's with the "East/West" address convention for the buildings? Seems confusing. Why not different street numbers?

Old Posted Jul 26, 2019, 9:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Wide View Post
^^^^^^^^^
No. 3001 JFK is the parking lot in between the parcel Amtrak owns, and the CSX elevated tracks. Brandywine owns this, and has long stated this will be one of the - if not THE first - tower in Schuylkill Yards. The parcel Amtrak owns is the big hole in the ground that looks directly down onto the train tracks, immediately at the corner of 30th and JFK. It's this parcel that they sent out a RFP on - more particularly, the air rights to build over the tracks at this parcel.

In fact, you can see the big hole in the ground that Amtrak owns and sent out a RFP for quite clearly in Jawn's photo he posted above.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2019, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
See image below. I think they're talking about 3001 JFK Blvd, 3051 JFK Blvd East, and 3051 JFK Blvd West
How does 3025 JFK fit into this then? They're actively marketing that building.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2019, 5:08 PM

MOre renderings and details on the bulletin building

http://www.philarising.com/43-millio...etin-building/

Old Posted Aug 7, 2019, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardeza View Post
MOre renderings and details on the bulletin building

http://www.philarising.com/43-millio...etin-building/
A damn shame that they're not going with the big screen. That would have been awesome.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2019, 10:57 PM
Midrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
A damn shame that they're not going with the big screen. That would have been awesome.
Possibly less awesome for people inside looking out though. I would think it somewhat complicated to design it in such a way as to serve as both a screen and proper windows.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2019, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayfar View Post
Possibly less awesome for people inside looking out though. I would think it somewhat complicated to design it in such a way as to serve as both a screen and proper windows.
To be fair, that facade wasn't originally built with windows.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2019, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
To be fair, that facade wasn't originally built with windows.
If I’m Sparks though I’d absolutely want my new building to have wide open windows with unobstructed views of Drexel Square and 30th St station. I wouldn’t be surprised if Sparks killed the screen. There’s already a big screen at Cora Geeen that Brandywine has invested a fair amount of money in. I imagine the screen along Market at street level could be a safety issue as well with thousands of cars going by every day - there would inevitably be more crashes due to distracted drivers. I suppose this could be mitigated by trees, but might not work so well during the winter. There are a lot of reasons why a screen would be impractical (not to mention costly).

Last edited by Urbanthusiat; Aug 9, 2019 at 2:43 AM.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2019, 2:02 PM
Philly Rising Up!

The renovations and re-cladding of the bulletin building is not doing it for me. This low rise building doesn’t exactly scream we are the new and exciting SY and the fact that it is in front of the new park with high visibility and the price tag of the renovation boggles my mind why they couldn’t do more with it to make it stand out. Maybe it is the rendering or something but it looks cheesy and dated.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2019, 4:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartphilly View Post
The renovations and re-cladding of the bulletin building is not doing it for me. This low rise building doesn’t exactly scream we are the new and exciting SY and the fact that it is in front of the new park with high visibility and the price tag of the renovation boggles my mind why they couldn’t do more with it to make it stand out. Maybe it is the rendering or something but it looks cheesy and dated.
I think anything that happens with Schuylkill Yards, the whole area needs to be taken in consideration. So far they renovated what was a walled off parking lot into an excellent park that now effectively serves as a world class welcome to West Philly to all the people who leave one of the busiest train stations in the nation. Then this renovation which while not tall, I think looks great in conjunction with the park and somewhat preserves the general form of an interesting historic building. This building is also 100% leased which enabled them to long ago already start working toward finding occupants for the next building, which is now apparently starting construction in a few months and they say there will be another not long after that.

They've earned my trust at this point. The park looks great, and I'm sure that whatever you think of the design of the bulletin building, the materials used will be better than what we normally see in Philadelphia and that it will at least be a great execution of the design. It's not a bad start for the first building in what should be an enormous project.

Just like with the efforts to build up the Delaware river front, there is a benefit to smaller projects, especially at the beginning. It's easier to sell people on coming to Schuylkill Yards if there is already a beautiful park surrounded by 3 buildings bustling with people. If the demand is there, Brandywine has already demonstrated with the Cira project that they are definitely willing to build tall. I think there will be some really tall buildings in the Schuylkill Yards but it makes sense to pick your spot, and the first building directly next to a park where there is already an existing building is not the spot.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2019, 5:46 PM
Philly Rising Up!

^
Ok, that's fine. And, maybe Sparks is conserving some money with this. If their market cap and revenue was exploding, then I would imagine they would of ask for a new highrise building in SY. Either way it is a plus. I'm just one of those people that like to see a tall building that makes a big impression, both in the skyline and emotionally. This one doesn't do it, but maybe the next one in SY will when the time is right for development.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals