HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted May 15, 2012, 8:10 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1052 View Post
Ramping up city service with new infill stations and more frequency would probably require electrification. Not that it isn't a conversation worth having since Metra already blows through populated areas that have less than ideal CTA rail access.

Getting UP to seriously discuss electrification is going to be...challenging. Maybe Metra could do a pilot program on the RI first.
Let me preface with the fact that I am in no way a transit professional, engineer etc. Why would electrification be required....pollution, fuel costs? I am curious.

I imagine one of the barriers to increasing frequency..... besides the institutional inertia of an organization that has historically looked to ever expanding into suburbia as its method of growth.....is that there may be capacity constraints at the DT terminus and other "crossovers" where trains that don't complete a run can be rerouted back the other direction.

I don't know the lingo so I am trying to describe as best I can.

Old Posted May 15, 2012, 9:55 PM
mmmm... infillicious!

Denver just broke ground on 1.5 mile LRT extension

http://www.rtd-fastracks.com/i225_2

DenverInfill Blog
DenverUrbanism

Old Posted May 16, 2012, 7:28 PM
Show me the blueprints

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawfin View Post
Let me preface with the fact that I am in no way a transit professional, engineer etc. Why would electrification be required....pollution, fuel costs? I am curious.

I imagine one of the barriers to increasing frequency..... besides the institutional inertia of an organization that has historically looked to ever expanding into suburbia as its method of growth.....is that there may be capacity constraints at the DT terminus and other "crossovers" where trains that don't complete a run can be rerouted back the other direction.

I don't know the lingo so I am trying to describe as best I can.

It really has little to do with pollution or fuel cost - although those would be side benefits. To best understand why electrified trains serving lines with short intervals between stations just look at the L, and imagine if the propulsion was diesel instead of electricity.

Or for another example imagine a diesel locomotive hauled train of 6 carriages, nearly fully loaded. You've seen a train like this accelerate from zero mph. It is painfully slow, not to mention loud. Most of Metra's operations are just this. Now imagine an electrically driven 6 carriage EMU train leaving a station fully loaded - quick acceleration, low noise.

Diesel propulsion of trains = low starting torque and long acceleration time. Electric propulsion of trains = high starting torque and fast acceleration time.

As a side note, I'd love to see those new Stadler KISS double deck EMU's running on newly electrified Metra lines. I can dream...

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted May 16, 2012, 7:32 PM
cities|transit|croissants

Added the 1.5 mile and 3.8 mile Denver & SLC lines.

Old Posted May 17, 2012, 8:17 AM
Robotic Construction

It's a little bit early, but RTD Denver plans to issue a notice to proceed in the 3rd quarter of this year and begin Construction from Denver Union Station to the National Western Stock Show/Denver Coliseum complex in early 2014. This is the EMU North Corridor. Not sure on exact miles for this phase 1, I think it's ~2-3 miles? can't add it to the list yet, but they'l be doing a groundbreaking, before we know it.

Old Posted May 24, 2012, 3:37 AM
Here we stAy

Sacramento Regional Transit just broke ground on the first part of the Blue Line extension today.

Link to information on today's event and expansion overview:
http://blueline2crc.com/information-center/

Old Posted May 31, 2012, 3:32 AM
Here we stAy

Here's a link to the recent article about the extension from the Sacramento Bee.

http://www.sacbee.com/2012/05/29/452...extension.html

Sacramento Bee

Old Posted May 31, 2012, 2:55 PM

Mesa light-rail expansion on track (Arizona Republic)

Another light rail extension to add to the list.

Mesa light-rail expansion on track
Construction to begin on $200 mil extension

by Sean Holstege
May. 30, 2012
Arizona Republic

"Valley Metro is set to break ground today on the first light-rail expansion, a 3.1-mile stretch into downtown Mesa that city leaders hope will bring a sorely needed economic boost.

The $200 million extension is expected to attract thousands more East Valley riders daily and potentially nurture new development along the line.

Mesa's hopes reflect a broader optimism among Valley transit planners. After delaying and scaling back projects during the recession, they see new signs of life for efforts to build out the system..."

http://www.azcentral.com/12news/news...ak-ground.html

Old Posted Jul 2, 2012, 5:45 AM

What would folks think if I pinned this? Good idea? Bad idea?

Old Posted Jul 2, 2012, 7:28 AM
Sonoma Strong

good

Pictures of Santa Rosa, So. Co.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2012, 8:38 AM
International

good

Old Posted Jul 2, 2012, 2:48 PM

Oh, and I added the Mesa and Sacto extensions.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2012, 5:29 PM

i believe the Crenshaw line in LA should also be considered under construction. They are relocating utilities at this point if i remember correctly and heavy construction should start in August

Old Posted Jul 9, 2012, 12:46 AM

The MBTA is currently extending the Fitchburg commuter rail line 4.5 miles to an under construction station called Wachusett, to be located adjacent to the Route 2 highway. Most of the funding is from the federal stimulus act.

Wachusett Commuter Rail Extension
http://transportation.blog.state.ma....extension.html

Old Posted Jul 9, 2012, 8:14 AM
Robotic Construction

RTD Denver received an unsolicited bid for the remaining 9.5 miles of the I-225 LRT line, from Kiewit. A second competitive bid from Balfour Beatty Ames Joint Venture was also submitted. Both bids were determined to be viable. Kiewit's bid was superior though and RTD plans to recommend moving forward with their offer. This means a significant unfunded portion of FasTracks will now move forward. Kiewit says they will have the LRT line open by 2015 -- construction will be underway soon! Can't add it yet, but it's certainly looking positive.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2012, 7:54 AM

Minneapolis/Saint Paul's Central Corridor is not and never was the "central line". It will open as the Green Line.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2012, 3:50 AM

The Miami Metrorail 2.4 mile extension to the Miami airport opened this week. I was wondering when was the last actual track mileage extension with a new station of a rapid transit heavy rail system in the US? Not an infill station or a rebuild, but an actual extension of a Metro rail system?

The last extension to the DC Metro system was the Blue line 3.2 miles extension to Largo Town Center in December, 2004. When the last extension to BART? Any other Metro or subway system extensions since 2004?

In the next 4+ years, the 11 miles and 5 stations of the DC Metro Silver Line phase 1 will open (December 2013 projection), #7 Line extension in NYC in 2014?, then the Second Ave Subway phase 1, so the new few years will be busier than the last few.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2012, 4:22 AM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by afiggatt View Post
When the last extension to BART?
The SFO/Millbrae extension, with four new stations, opened in June, 2003.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2012, 9:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fflint View Post
The SFO/Millbrae extension, with four new stations, opened in June, 2003.
Found that the Tern Urbano transit system in San Juan, Puerto Rico opened in December 17, 2004. Almost to the same day, the DC Metro Blue line extension to Largo Town Center in MD opened on December 18, 2004.

Unless there were other extensions I don't know of, it may have been 7-1/2 years since the last extension of a heavy rail rapid transit system in the US opened for service. Been a number of new light rail and streetcar lines, but not heavy rail transit. I was wondering in context of the systems and track mileage of heavy rail rapid transit that are currently under construction or just opened in Miami, how long has it been since there new Metro / subway extensions or new service were added in the US.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2012, 7:44 PM

awful for Detroit, every major and non major cities building away, and my hometown still cant get it togeather.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation