HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Jan 5, 2024, 1:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post

Photo by me
That apt bldg to the right has been under construction for what seems like decades. It was one of the long time gaps in little tokyo & I'm glad to see it finally filled in....even though it's still incomplete. Other majors parts of the area until not too many yrs ago were also huge gaps...such as the block south of weller court. I just hope that certain trends hitting cities like san francisco don't start really crushing LA too, particularly dtla.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2024, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citywatch View Post
That apt bldg to the right has been under construction for what seems like decades. It was one of the long time gaps in little tokyo & I'm glad to see it finally filled in....even though it's still incomplete.
Yeah, it seems like it's been taking a long time... it's going on 3 or 4 years now, maybe? I'm glad to see that gap finally filled in too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by citywatch View Post
Other majors parts of the area until not too many yrs ago were also huge gaps...such as the block south of weller court. I just hope that certain trends hitting cities like san francisco don't start really crushing LA too, particularly dtla.
I'll admit, that huge surface parking lot that used to exist south of Weller Court was a great location for the Little Tokyo Tofu Festival, which they used to hold towards the end of summer, usually around Nisei Week. We would go to it every so often, and then they stopped holding the festival once they started developing that parking lot. I kind of miss the Tofu Festival.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Jan 8, 2024, 4:50 AM

Random pics, taken Sunday, 1.7.2024.

Brunch...

Photo by me

A mushroom omelette with salad.

Photo by me

Photo by me

We haven't been to Alma's Cider in a while.

Photo by me

Photo by me

A rosé cider.

Photo by me

Photo by me

A Basque vermouth.

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Dinnertime.

Photo by me

Photo by me

Rieslings.

Photo by me

Rapini and sausage pizza.

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Jan 10, 2024, 6:10 AM

Quote:
I'll admit, that huge surface parking lot that used to exist south of Weller Court was a great location for the Little Tokyo Tofu Festival, which they used to hold towards the end of summer, usually around Nisei Week. We would go to it every so often, and then they stopped holding the festival once they started developing that parking lot. I kind of miss the Tofu Festival.
I loved the L.A. Tofu Festival! It was so good. Not only is tofu cheaper than meat, it also is packed with protein, contains zero cholesterol, and can lower one’s risk of suffering from heart disease, diabetes, cancer, and numerous other life-threatening health issues. COVID is believed to have originated in a live-animal market in China, where live and dead animals are sold for food. Previous flu viruses have originated in pigs and chickens—but never in vegan foods like tofu.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2024, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tart777 View Post
I loved the L.A. Tofu Festival! It was so good. Not only is tofu cheaper than meat, it also is packed with protein, contains zero cholesterol, and can lower one’s risk of suffering from heart disease, diabetes, cancer, and numerous other life-threatening health issues. COVID is believed to have originated in a live-animal market in China, where live and dead animals are sold for food. Previous flu viruses have originated in pigs and chickens—but never in vegan foods like tofu.
I love tofu too.

Photos taken over my weekend, 1.13-14.2024.

Lunch in Cambodia Town, Long Beach.

Papaya salad.

Photo by me

Sauteed watercress with beef.

Photo by me

Chicken curry.

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Sunday brunch.

Took the Metro A line from the South Pasadena station to the Del Mar Station in Pasadena, only 2 stations away, to have brunch at a restaurant/bar that's located in the old Santa Fe Depot, which is on the site of the Del Mar Station.

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

This cocktail was called Change of Habit.

Photo by me

Smoked Salmon Benedict. I'm usually not a hollandaise sauce person, but I liked this.

Photo by me

Tequila sunrise.

Photo by me

Then for shits and giggles, we went down to Newport Beach. But not to go to the beach. I wanted to see Bunnyhenge.

Nope, this is just a tease.

Photo by me

Newport Beach Public Library.

Photo by me

Newport Beach City Hall.

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Nope, not Bunnyhenge just yet. Still a tease.

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

We reached Bunnyhenge. The previous times we've been here, we've either had it all to ourselves, or there would be people, but then they would just look at it and/or take pictures, and then move on. But these people kept hanging out around it and talking really loud. They were even picnicking right next to it. Oh well. The bunnies of Bunnyhenge are much smaller than the individual ones I took pictures of earlier.

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Went to the car and drove the hell out of Newport Beach.

Photo by me

Evening...

Photo by me

Photo by me

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Jan 23, 2024, 11:49 PM

Randoms! Taken within the last few days...

Photo by me

Our first time having Georgian Kvevri wine. Very good stuff.

Photo by me

Salade niçoise.

Photo by me

Cheese fondue.

Photo by me

Rain clouds approaching... and the hills are looking a bit green.

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Jan 30, 2024, 1:19 AM

Randoms, taken over the weekend.

Dinner and a concert...

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

We love Chaka Khan!

Photo by me

Photo by me

Lazy boozy Sunday.

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Liquor-filled boba, in a cocktail.

Photo by me

Terrazzo.

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

My partner's dark 'n' stormy.

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

My mai tai.

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

~ Charles Bukowski

Last edited by sopas ej; Jan 30, 2024 at 4:52 AM.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2024, 3:16 AM

Atmospheric river/El Niño rainy Sunday, 2.4.2024.

My partner and I braved the heavy rain and had Chicago-style deep dish pizza for the first time, in the Valley. Sherman Oaks. At Gino's East of Chicago. Well, he had a few bites of it, while I had the rest of it (he had a sandwich). We both liked it. Honestly though, I won't have another Chicago-style deep dish for at least another year. It is VERY FILLING.

We had white wines with our food.

Photo by me

Sausage and mushroom.

Photo by me

Photo by me

I ate the whole thing. We don't believe in leftovers.

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

I decided to take surface streets home and avoid the 101 Freeway because of potential accidents in the heavy rain.

Photo by me

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Feb 11, 2024, 6:38 AM

Photo by me

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Feb 14, 2024, 4:02 AM

"Accident, or injury, call Jacob Emrani... call Jacob!"

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Feb 14, 2024, 5:32 PM

^Catching up on your thread. Glad to see you made a pit stop in El Segundo! Purple Orchid has been here for a while... was it Tapizon you went to beforehand?

Old Posted Feb 14, 2024, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAsam View Post
^Catching up on your thread. Glad to see you made a pit stop in El Segundo! Purple Orchid has been here for a while... was it Tapizon you went to beforehand?
Yes. We love Tapizon, they make great caipirinhas! In fact we were there twice within the last two weeks.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Mar 3, 2024, 1:45 AM

Very small blurb of my Saturday afternoon (3.2.2024).

Went to a coffee place owned by Quentin Tarantino, called Pam's Coffy.

Coffee with drive, that don't take no jive!

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Mar 12, 2024, 2:51 AM

A small blurb of my weekend.

Old Town Pasadena.

Photo by me

Photo by me

It was around 9am. I don't know what these people were lining up for.

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Long Beach.

Photo by me

Photo by me

We love this place.

Photo by me

Riesling.

Photo by me

This was like the best charcuterie board that we'd had in a very long time.

Photo by me

And then I had this really good pork paté sandwich with salad.

Photo by me

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Mar 13, 2024, 11:47 AM
A gruff individual.

Location: Greenville, SC - "Birthplace of the light switch rave"
I'm still loving this slice-of-life thing you do with this thread.
"To sustain the life of a large, modern city in this cloying, clinging heat is an amazing achievement. It is no wonder that the white men and women in Greenville walk with a slow, dragging pride, as if they had taken up a challenge and intended to defy it without end." -- Rebecca West for The New Yorker, 1947

Old Posted Mar 13, 2024, 5:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hauntedheadnc View Post
I'm still loving this slice-of-life thing you do with this thread.
Thanks man!

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Apr 13, 2024, 6:17 AM

Ah, slice of life... Speaking of slice of life... (why am I even mentioning this? Ah, what the hell...)

The last 2 weeks of March and the first week of April, I didn't feel like posting any photos... or taking any pictures of anything... it wasn't a priority, in fact it was the last thing on my mind. Some days after my last post on this thread, my mom had a fall---she and my dad are in their early 80s---fractured her hip---so, the past 4 weeks have been an emotional rollercoaster for me---well, for all of us. She spent a week in the hospital, and 2 weeks in a skilled nursing facility (which I learned is referred to as a "sniff" among medical people) for care and physical therapy. Last Saturday she came home. Her first at-home physical therapy starts tomorrow. I will be there with her tomorrow.

There were times that my dad, my partner and I would visit my mom in the hospital and the "sniff"... and it was terrible watching her in pain, not being able to walk. While there, sometimes I'd look out the window, and I'd see a beautiful sunset, and at one point, on a day it rained, I even saw a rainbow, and I told my dad and mom to look out at the rainbow. These were instances when I wish I had brought my camera and took pictures, but somehow I felt guilty for enjoying something that looked beautiful to me, when I knew my mom was in pain.

Mom has gotten better physically. She's made a lot of progress in 4 weeks. She's still in some pain, but her doctor says once her fractures (inoperable, but non-displaced, so they'll heal on their own) are healed, her pain will subside substantially, if not disappear altogether like before the fall. So, I'm glad she's healing.

Today was my birthday. Knowing my mom is getting better is the best birthday present I had. So, my being in a better mood---I'm back to posting my silly random photos of buildings, doorways, sidewalks, food, and whatnot.

Some random photos, taken yesterday and today.

Photo by me

Cornbread.

Photo by me

To go with chili.

Photo by me

Photo by me

I wanted noodles for my birthday (has been a tradition in my family). And the SGV is a perfect place for noodles.

Photo by me

Photo by me

Yum!

Photo by me

Photo by my partner

Photo by my partner

Photo by my partner

Photo by me

The view from one of the windows of my parents' house (the house I grew up in). Yeah, I know, boring suburbia.

Photo by me

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Apr 13, 2024, 12:45 PM
A gruff individual.

Location: Greenville, SC - "Birthplace of the light switch rave"
Quote:
There were times that my dad, my partner and I would visit my mom in the hospital and the "sniff"... and it was terrible watching her in pain, not being able to walk. While there, sometimes I'd look out the window, and I'd see a beautiful sunset, and at one point, on a day it rained, I even saw a rainbow, and I told my dad and mom to look out at the rainbow. These were instances when I wish I had brought my camera and took pictures, but somehow I felt guilty for enjoying something that looked beautiful to me, when I knew my mom was in pain.
You know, I wish I had something profound to tell you about that sort of experience but I really don't. It just made me remember how, when my mother was dying on an utterly beautiful autumn day, and my now-husband was reading her favorite poem to her while she lay unconscious in her hospital bed because I couldn't do it, I looked out from her room high in the hospital tower. The mountains were bleeding red and orange and gold, the pines were green, and the air had lost that summer haze so everything was sharp and crisp. I thought it was magnificent, I remembered how she enjoyed those especially colorful autumns you get in Western North Carolina every few years, and I thought about how much she would have loved to have seen it.
"To sustain the life of a large, modern city in this cloying, clinging heat is an amazing achievement. It is no wonder that the white men and women in Greenville walk with a slow, dragging pride, as if they had taken up a challenge and intended to defy it without end." -- Rebecca West for The New Yorker, 1947

Old Posted Apr 14, 2024, 3:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hauntedheadnc View Post
You know, I wish I had something profound to tell you about that sort of experience but I really don't. It just made me remember how, when my mother was dying on an utterly beautiful autumn day, and my now-husband was reading her favorite poem to her while she lay unconscious in her hospital bed because I couldn't do it, I looked out from her room high in the hospital tower. The mountains were bleeding red and orange and gold, the pines were green, and the air had lost that summer haze so everything was sharp and crisp. I thought it was magnificent, I remembered how she enjoyed those especially colorful autumns you get in Western North Carolina every few years, and I thought about how much she would have loved to have seen it.
What a journey it is with our parents, huh? Especially as they get older. I'll admit that watching my parents get old has been one of the hardest things for me.

Thank you for sharing that bittersweet memory of yours. If I could give you a hug, I would.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Today, 2:48 AM

Random photos I took over the weekend.

These trees have had pink flowers for what seems like many months already.

Photo by me

A tasty stout.

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

One of the gas stations I use.

Photo by me

A tasty cider.

Photo by me

Tinned fish.

Photo by me

Cheese plate.