HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted May 4, 2023, 10:32 PM

Riverside, CA... on a Sunday afternoon... mainly the Cheech Marin Chicano Art Museum

I took these pictures last November, and wasn't sure where to post them because they're pics of mostly art... and I didn't think people would be interested. But then I thought 'Ah, what the hell.'

They were taken on the Sunday after Thanksgiving of last year (11.27.2022). My partner and I went to Riverside to go to The Cheech Marin Center for Chicano Art, Culture & Industry, which opened last summer, I believe---the largest museum (and maybe only museum?) dedicated to Chicano art. We also walked a bit around the historic Mission Inn Hotel, which was built from 1902-1932.

Some mood music. Remember this group from the early 1990s? They were from Riverside.
Video Link

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Mexican food for lunch. This was during the World Cup. Spain vs. Germany was on the TVs; there was a Spanish group sitting next to us, we could tell by their accents. I didn't take their picture, though I wanted to---a few of them were hot.

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

I tend to go crazy and take a lot of pictures at art museums; these are only some of the photos I took.

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

I was really into the LA-themed art.

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Let's go inside The Mission Inn Hotel.

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

I ended it where we began, though a few hours had passed.

Photo by me

I wanted to call attention to that distinctive style of street light Riverside has; it's called a Raincross symbol. According to the city website, it's been a symbol of Riverside since 1907. It's on the city seal and flag. You also see it here and there throughout the city.

Here are some vintage photos of Riverside with the Raincross, via Pinterest and Calisphere.

Mission Boulevard, Riverside, 1930. That stone bridge still exists.

Downtown Riverside, 1915.

Rubidoux Bridge, Riverside, 1938.

~ Charles Bukowski

Last edited by sopas ej; May 5, 2023 at 12:44 PM.

Old Posted May 5, 2023, 2:48 AM

Nice pictures! I'm guessing that's the Mission Inn Hotel in the first few pictures. Do you happen to know some of those other buildings in early on in your pictures? I am pleasantly surprised to see a nice amount of quaint Spanish Colonial and other architecture!

Old Posted May 5, 2023, 4:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzmattzx View Post
Nice pictures! I'm guessing that's the Mission Inn Hotel in the first few pictures. Do you happen to know some of those other buildings in early on in your pictures? I am pleasantly surprised to see a nice amount of quaint Spanish Colonial and other architecture!
Thanks!

Yes, that's the Mission Inn Hotel in the first picture. The buildings in the 2nd picture are the Riverside Metropolitan Museum and the First Congregational Church, neither of which I've actually been inside.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted May 5, 2023, 5:12 AM

Very nice, I was hoping some one would capture photos of this area. I was also interested in seeing the new art museum, I was watching an interview Cheech was doing about his career and promoting the museum on national television. It really got me interested in checking int out, unfortunately I didn’t get the chance to when I was in Riverside back in December. We did enjoy the Mission Inn, well the outside of it, I guess it was high tourist season and unless you were a guest you couldn’t enter. I understood as it was crazy crowded with tourists, but I got a chance to explore the area and was quite impressed. Next time you should check out the surrounding neighborhood, there are a lot of historic homes, sort of Pasadena like in a sense.

Old Posted May 5, 2023, 5:18 AM
Paradise Island

I really like this thread. I know almost nothing about Riverside so it was cool to see.

Old Posted May 5, 2023, 5:37 PM
Ascension

I think I'm the only person who lives in Riverside on this form so imagine my shock seeing this thread. Next time you come, check out the Food Lab as well as the beautiful homes at the base of Mt. Rubidoux and the new Main Library (The Cheech is housed in the old Main library. Riverside is full of architectural gems and quite a interesting history.

Old Posted May 5, 2023, 8:21 PM

sopas several wks ago made me look more closely at the recently revamped hammer museum in westwood, now he's doing the same thing when it comes to riverside...

Video Link

Video Link

Old Posted May 29, 2023, 2:33 AM

The museum looks like a nice renovation of the library, and what was on exhibit when you visited was of fine quality.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2023, 9:35 PM

Mind blowing architectural treasures and now a bonus of an extraordinary art collection shared with the public. If I get to Southern California, I have to make a beeline to Riverside. Thanks for sharing.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2023, 2:07 AM

cool fine arts

Old Posted Aug 13, 2023, 4:40 PM
Great White Norf

Thanks for the photos of a city never seen on the forum (not that I can recall in 20 years anyway)

I love the Spanish architecture, and that's great that Cheech donated money for an art museum to give a boost to Chicano artists and community overall.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2023, 2:14 AM

Thanks for the comments!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigs View Post
Thanks for the photos of a city never seen on the forum (not that I can recall in 20 years anyway)

I love the Spanish architecture, and that's great that Cheech donated money for an art museum to give a boost to Chicano artists and community overall.
I really enjoyed this museum, and hope to go back for new exhibits some time.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Aug 16, 2023, 2:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post

Thanks for the comments!

I really enjoyed this museum, and hope to go back for new exhibits some time.
I also want to thank you for this great post of Riverside, and am so glad you included Cheech's Museum! I have totally fallen in love with the paintings of Jacinto Guevara thanks to you, and have since discovered more of his work. I've become such a fan that I've actually ordered several prints of his art for my home. I have good friends in Topanga Canyon that I don't get to visit nearly enough, so I depend on you for my L.A. fixes between trips. Your food, travel and just daily life contributions are wonderful, and thanks so much for exposing this great art.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2023, 4:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantaguy View Post
I also want to thank you for this great post of Riverside, and am so glad you included Cheech's Museum! I have totally fallen in love with the paintings of Jacinto Guevara thanks to you, and have since discovered more of his work. I've become such a fan that I've actually ordered several prints of his art for my home. I have good friends in Topanga Canyon that I don't get to visit nearly enough, so I depend on you for my L.A. fixes between trips. Your food, travel and just daily life contributions are wonderful, and thanks so much for exposing this great art.
Aw thanks! Hehe reading that made me blush.

I was drawn to those particular Jacinto Guevara paintings because to me they're just sooo LA.

Are you from the SoCal area originally, or have you visited often?

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Aug 16, 2023, 5:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post
Aw thanks! Hehe reading that made me blush.

I was drawn to those particular Jacinto Guevara paintings because to me they're just sooo LA.

Are you from the SoCal area originally, or have you visited often?
I've worked remotely from San Diego since 2012, and met my Topanga friends years ago on Isla Mujrres, an island off the coast of Cancun. I'm a born and raised bi-regional East Coast/Southern guy.
Oh, and I visit 2 to 3 times a year, wish it was much more though.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2023, 8:12 PM

Quote:
Can I ask where you found his prints for sale? I'm also really drawn to his art, and would love to purchase a print for my apartment.

Thanks for sharing your photos of Riverside, Sopas. I really want to take a day to go out there and explore the area, and definitely visit the Cheech. I've driven through, but never actually explored Riverside. It seems like it's much nicer than neighboring San Bernardino.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2023, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edale View Post
Can I ask where you found his prints for sale? I'm also really drawn to his art, and would love to purchase a print for my apartment.

Thanks for sharing your photos of Riverside, Sopas. I really want to take a day to go out there and explore the area, and definitely visit the Cheech. I've driven through, but never actually explored Riverside. It seems like it's much nicer than neighboring San Bernardino.
Sure: laprintaria.org

Last edited by atlantaguy; Aug 17, 2023 at 1:12 AM.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2023, 3:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edale View Post

Thanks for your comment edale!

Riverside is indeed much nicer than San Bernardino; I honestly don't know how San Bernardino became the way it is; I could be wrong but I thought that both cities historically had a large citrus industry. I know San Bernardino is on historic Route 66, and that might've been its heyday pre-interstate freeway? I'm not sure. In fact the only thing in San Bernardino I took a picture of, years ago, is the Wigwam Motel, which is right on Route 66.

Riverside's downtown/core is the most interesting part. The rest of it looks like typical post-war SoCal suburbia, at least what I've seen. Some agriculture still exists in Riverside, and if I remember correctly, there's even agricultural areas adjacent to the UC Riverside campus... I haven't been to that part of town in a long time.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Aug 17, 2023, 9:51 PM
An Optimistic Realist

Yeah, Riverside was a spot back when I lived in the IE. Been into the Mission Inn a few times and there's Mount Rubideux right near downtown, which is an easy hike up to see views of the city and surrounding areas. Great thread overall.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2023, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Sure: laprintaria.org
Damn, I had seen that site, but it only looks like they have prints of San Antonio scenes. I'd love to find some of his work depicting LA. Original paintings from his website are available, but they go for well over $1000, which is definitely out of my price range.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos