HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted May 3, 2023, 8:15 PM
A gruff individual.

Location: Greenville, SC - "Birthplace of the light switch rave"
Boston and Salem, MA: A suspicious amount of Satanism

I miss Boston.

There. I said it. And furthermore, I think Boston has now supplanted Seattle as my favorite American city, although Chicago is a close second and I would need to revisit Philadelphia to refresh my memories of it.

That being said, my husband and I attended a conference in Boston for psychiatric professionals. It was more geared toward people who have letters after their name like my husband boasts, whereas I came along for the trip and to see what I could glean from it.

Pro tip: "Motivational interviewing" is the process of convincing someone to stop fucking up their life, while also convincing them they came up with the idea themselves to stop fucking up their life. I already knew that, but it was nice to have it confirmed in a seminar.

Other interesting takeaways from the conference are the research they're doing into treating depression with things like ketamine and psilocybin, the latter of which involves you putting on a blindfold and noise-cancelling headphones, and two therapists attend you while you trip balls in your sensory-deprived state on a chaise longue. Groundbreaking stuff.

We stated at the Westin Copley Place, which is connected to a Marriott hotel by way of a large shopping mall. It turned out that while we were there, the Satanic Temple was also having a conference over at the Marriott. This led to protests by Christian groups against the folks from the Satanic Temple, and at one point the Christian protesters, to no one's surprise, were also joined by neo-Nazi Proud Boys and they all milled around together and yelled at people like us just trying to get to the Cheesecake Factory.

All in all it was great fun and I had a wonderful time, and here's what we saw the first day after flying in, captured in gorgeous cell phone photography:

Wednesday, April 26th, 2023

Boston, MA: A normal amount of Satanism

Video Link

The first order of business after flying and riding into town on the T was a burger.

The second order of business was a walk through the Boston Public Garden and Boston Common.

We sent this photo to a friend of ours who is from Greece, and she was just tickled. She lived in Massachusetts when she first immigrated to the US before moving down to the South.

The Boston Public Library which is, as it says carved in stone right over the door, "Free to All." We need more beautiful spaces where anyone can go for free and just feel civilized.

Fittingly, this was on the sidewalk outside the hotel.

We had a great view from our room.

Dinner was Thai.

This monument, to Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. and Coretta Scott King, is the kind of thing you get when no one ever tells an artist "No," and also when no one ever tells an artist to stop fucking around and being silly, because people are spending good money on this and they don't need your bullshit. See also, a banana taped to a wall.

And this is one of the few angles you can get of the monument that doesn't make it look vaguely (or explicitly) obscene.

"To sustain the life of a large, modern city in this cloying, clinging heat is an amazing achievement. It is no wonder that the white men and women in Greenville walk with a slow, dragging pride, as if they had taken up a challenge and intended to defy it without end." -- Rebecca West for The New Yorker, 1947

Old Posted May 4, 2023, 2:52 AM

Nice photos! I have never been to Boston. Cool that you were there during a Satanic Temple convention!

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted May 4, 2023, 4:21 AM

Nice pictures so far!

Old Posted May 4, 2023, 5:23 AM

Boston sure looks better than it did when my family left it! Nice pics.

Old Posted May 4, 2023, 7:04 PM
A gruff individual.

Thursday, April 27th, 2023

Salem, MA: An increasing amount of Satanism

The conference began on Friday, with attendees expected to pick up their badges and swag bags on Thursday afternoon. As such, we took the opportunity beforehand on Thursday to go to Salem, a place I've craved to visit for decades. We rode the commuter rail from North Station on upward, and it is worth noting that after it takes you to Salem, the train continues on and enters Beverly.

Anyway though, we weren't going that far. We stopped in Salem and had a delightful day.

Video Link

You may ask yourself why I chose such music to accompany a photo thread of Salem, Massachusetts.

It will be revealed later.

Coffee was required.

A spring bunny (or something like that) latte. It was akin to one of my favorites at my local coffee shop here in Greenville. It had white chocolate and lavender in it.

By the time we made it to this statue of Samantha from Bewitched we had already noticed a significant uptick in the number of people walking around with shirts and hoodies with either occult, or outright Satanic, imagery on them.

We put it out of our minds and thought nothing of it. At the moment.

This was one of the neatest things about Salem, the way you can just be wandering along and then all of a sudden there's a house from the 16-whatevers just there, right by the sidewalk, with an address and everything.

This bit of architecture dates from the 1700's, but we'll come back to it later.

The Salem Witch Trials Memorial, next to the Charter Street Cemetery. Also perhaps fittingly, there were some folks well into their opiate high draped dramatically over some of the stone ledges in the memorial, twitching the day away.

The Peabody Essex Museum, which is something of a combination art and history museum. It also houses one of the nation's most significant collections of Asian art, and that's because Salem was one of the first ports in America to trade directly with Asia.

I particularly enjoyed these ceramic renditions of the seven deadly sins.

People: You should smile more!

Me:

On the grounds of the Peabody Essex Museum is Yin Yu Tang, a home first erected in southeastern China in the late 1700's. It was purchased by the museum, disassembled piece by piece, and reconstructed in Salem, opening to the public in 2003. Members of the Huang family lived in the home from the 1790s until the 1980s. This amazing house, along with the fact that Salem was one of the first American ports to trade with China and the rest of Asia, is why I picked the music.

Lunch was pizza. Salem leans hard into its reputation as God's perfect Halloween town, with numerous occult businesses and "haunted" attractions. Something we also noticed was that how the high number of folks walking around wearing shirts and hoodies with occult-slash-Satanic imagery on them stayed high, along with a rather large number of people wearing various horror movie shirts.

After some thought, we figured that's just what you do when you're in the town where the Satanic Temple is headquartered, and which has the reputation Salem has even aside from that. As for us, we debated on purchasing a Baphomet plushie we saw at one shop, but ultimate decided against it. At the time, we were not yet aware of the evil even then converging on the Marriott, to say nothing of the Cheesecake Factory.

It was at this point that we had a decision to make. As I've mentioned, the Satanic Temple is headquartered in Salem and we'd heard they had a nice art gallery. We thought about going to see it, but then discovered it cost $12 a person to get in. After having dropped $40 to get us both into the Peabody Essex Museum we figured we'd stick to what was free for the rest of the day. Thus, we headed over to stand on the sidewalk outside and look at the House of the Seven Gables. It cost money to go inside the house because Salem, like my hometown of Asheville, has honed the craft of soaking tourists to high art. While I am unsure of the exact number of gables captured in these shots, I still feel that I captured an adequate number of gables.

We returned to the Charter Street Cemetery, which had been closed earlier in the day. The addicts had departed from the memorial, so we walked around it again, then toured the cemetery.

Then we visited the cemetery gift shop, because of course it has one, and then for the first time in my life I purchased a souvenir of a cemetery.

And then it was back to...

...Boston!

Something I enjoy is visiting the sites of historic disasters, particularly if they're obscure. For this trip we'd planned to visit this, the site of the Boston Molasses Flood, which occurred January 15, 1919, killing 21 and injuring 150. We had also planned to visit the site of the Cocoanut Grove Nightclub Fire, which killed 492 people on November 28, 1942, but then forgot completely about it.

After we got back from Salem the weather couldn't make up its mind about what it wanted to do, but between the spats of rain and sun, we had a nice surprise when we got back to our room.

"To sustain the life of a large, modern city in this cloying, clinging heat is an amazing achievement. It is no wonder that the white men and women in Greenville walk with a slow, dragging pride, as if they had taken up a challenge and intended to defy it without end." -- Rebecca West for The New Yorker, 1947

Old Posted May 4, 2023, 7:27 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Lovely photos! I really miss Boston, one of my favorite cities in the world. You've captured a lot of its rich history in your photos.

Old Posted May 4, 2023, 8:49 PM

Great Salem pics!

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted May 4, 2023, 8:54 PM
A gruff individual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinel View Post
Lovely photos! I really miss Boston, one of my favorite cities in the world. You've captured a lot of its rich history in your photos.
There will be more. We were there for almost six days.

And thanks to you and everyone else who left comments.

Old Posted May 5, 2023, 3:38 AM

Great pictures of Salem! I want to see Salem as well, but I am always south of Boston on Cape Cod, so it's out of the way for me. There's a lot of historic buildings in Salem, like a few of them that are part of the Peabody Essex Museum (besides the Chinese house, which I didn't know about).

It's a shame that drug addicts were all strung out across the cemetery. I hope none of them have ever ruined a historic gravestone. Some of them, like the one you took a picture of up close, are invaluable for being some 300-350 years old.

Great pictures of Boston as well! The Union Oyster House, in one of your pictures, is the oldest restaurant in the United States. It was also JFK's favorite restaurant, so you can visit his favorite booth upstairs. The King of France also lived in exile upstairs from the restaurant. Literally across the tiny street from the Union Oyster House is the Bell In Hand Tavern, which claims to be the oldest continuously-operating tavern in the US (although it's not even the oldest in Boston, which is the Warren Tavern, based on my research). That whole tiny area is also the last remnant of Boston of the 1620s, with pastoral/rural street names like Salt Lane and Creek Square.

Old Posted May 5, 2023, 9:28 PM
Cascadia Rising

My partner and I spent a week in Boston/Salem last October, and I have to say - I'd move there in a second if the situation presented itself. We stayed in Gloucester too, and I was impressed. What a great area!

Old Posted May 5, 2023, 10:52 PM
A gruff individual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InlandEmpire View Post
My partner and I spent a week in Boston/Salem last October, and I have to say - I'd move there in a second if the situation presented itself. We stayed in Gloucester too, and I was impressed. What a great area!
Word.

There will be more photos, by the way. I just didn't get the chance to post today.

Old Posted May 5, 2023, 11:55 PM

I've been waiting for this union, knowing that you would love it there! Your pics and narrative never disappoint, ever. Do yourselves a favor and please go up to Portland, Ogunquit & Portsmouth ending around Newburyport. It's how I've been ending our trips up there for several years now, and could so live in the gay cultural outpost of Ogunquit if I wasn't allergic to frigid Winters.

Old Posted May 6, 2023, 6:18 PM
A gruff individual.

Friday, April 28th, 2023

Boston, MA: A high, sustained amount of Satanism!

Video Link

Friday began rather normally, especially for us. We have established a pattern that appears to be threatening to turn into a trend when we travel: We'll get up, go get a bagel for breakfast, and it will turn out to be far and away one of the worst things I've ever eaten. It happened in Chicago, with a bagel at at Dunkin Donuts that was like trying to chew a shoe, and it happened at this local coffee place in Boston with a bagel that was greasy, tasted unpleasant, and fought back when you tried to chew it, so tough was it. The only difference was that at this place in Boston, which shall remain nameless, we paid nearly $40 for the privilege of sitting there with our two coffees and our inedible bagels. I've had exponentially better coffee and bagels at numerous places in Greenville. Hell, I've had better k-cup coffee and bagels from the grocery store than I had at this place.

However... while their coffee was bad and their bagels were worse, it was at this coffee shop that we realized something else was... amiss... in Boston. The first sign of trouble was a news crew was setting up outside.

The second sign of trouble was this truck hauling an electronic billboard around with its message about afterschool Satan clubs. How curious, we thought. How unusual, even more so than two other customers in the coffee shop wearing sweatshirts that identified them as being part of the St. Louis Legion of the Satanic Temple.

Even more so than the woman, in stereotypical businesswoman garb, riding the elevator down at our hotel that morning with two sullen goth girls who were trying too hard in tow. They were smeared with pentagrams and the rest of the accoutrements you expect from teenagers who've only just learned the world is bitter and remain unaware of the fact that everybody else knows it too and has for years. In the lobby the woman told them to have fun, have a good day, don't go home with strangers, and when they were done take the train over to their auntie's house.

Then we headed over to the headquarters of the Christian Science church a couple of blocks away. We'd heard about their "Maparium," a giant stained glass globe you can go walk around in. Unfortunately, we ended up not having time to see it.

The Boston Museum of Fine Arts, which we could not tour, we think, because the first lady of South Korea or the ambassador's wife or someone, got there first. There were limos out front with the South Korean flag, and placards in the windshield that said "Spouse." We learned that night on the news that the South Korean president had been in town.

By the time we swung back through en route to the opening presentations of the conference, the protesters had gathered. We would spend the rest of the trip, because we could see this intersection from our window, periodically looking out to check and see who was out protesting what. It was also on the news that night that we learned about the Satanic Temple's big to-do, while we learned about the Proud Boys riding in to join the Christians on reddit. Various videos of them getting lambasted while riding the Green Line of the T kept popping up there.

And because levels of Satanism in Boston remained elevated for the rest of our trip, I'm going to go ahead and pile all the rest of my photos into this reply. We were so busy with the conference the rest of the time that we didn't get to get out for all that much picture-taking before we had to leave.

Saturday, April 29th, 2023

Parts of the North End reminded me very much of London.

The Irish Potato Famine memorial.

We had a very good dinner at this place, and we also had a chance to have a good laugh about memories of my mother. Toward the end of her life my mother went blind, and in the years leading up to that she had a great deal to say about dim lighting in restaurants -- none of it good. I can do a fantastic impression of my mother, and can mimic exactly what she would have had to say about this dim restaurant, no matter how good the food.

For what it's worth, she also had a vehement hatred of shredded lettuce, and whenever I happen to purchase shredded lettuce for, say, taco night, or if it comes on a burger, I take a picture and send it to my brother and we remember the good times.

A statue of Edgar Allen Poe.

A very good ice cream shop on Newbury Avenue, where I enjoyed a mighty fine peanut butter cup sundae for dessert.

Sunday, April 30th, 2023

It rained on Sunday, but before our chosen events opened up at the conference, we decided to take a quick walk through the Public Garden.

The Ether Monument, which commemorates the use of anesthesia in medical procedures.

Rest assured that ducklings were made way for.

The Boston Women's Memorial.

Seaweed salad, the opening salvo to a fine Thai lunch.

After lunch, I got to enjoy one of the crowning achievements of my life while ticking a major item off my bucket list.

I got to visit the Museum of Bad Art (MOBA), currently housed at the Dorchester Brewing Company.

[

Later that night after all was said and done, I got to try my very first piece of Boston Cream Pie.

Monday, May 1st, 2023

Our last day in Boston dawned dreary.

On our way back from the Dorchester Brewing Company the previous day, our Lyft passed by a lovely monument that I looked up, found was nearby, and wanted to go see. And so, before our last events at the conference, we went to see it.

This tulip sticking through a fence caught my eye, and then something else, a rural interloper, also caught my eye.

The Harriet Tubman Memorial.

Goodbye, Boston.

Old Posted May 7, 2023, 5:49 AM

Great pictures again! I heard about that maparium. I think it's the only place in the world where you can see the world from the inside of the globe.

Even your quick homestretch of pictures are nice! And I didn't realize you were in Boston so recently! I figured it was the week before.

Old Posted May 23, 2023, 9:29 AM
A gruff individual.

I'm bumping this because, frankly, I want more attention.

Old Posted May 23, 2023, 5:28 PM

Nice pics! In one spot you wrote "Parts of the North End reminded me very much of London." but that comment was embedded between pics of Downtown Crossing. You did capture a bunch of the North End towards the bottom of Post #5, when you return from Salem and wrote "...Boston!" Just making sure you have your neighborhoods straight.

Old Posted May 24, 2023, 8:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hauntedheadnc View Post
I'm bumping this because, frankly, I want more attention.

Fantastic, just what I needed - commentary included! By any chance, did you make it down to the Seaport District?

I think you really nailed the whole "Boston does granular urbanity best" argument. And May is Boston's most photogenic month next to October. Really, a great set of pics.

My wife fell in love with Salem too the first time I brought her there. She didn't expect it to be an actual city. She thought it was going to be like the tourist-trap ninja villages in Japan. Peabody Essex is always a pleasant surprise for people who haven't heard of it.

It's a bummer you didn't get to enjoy the MFA. Next time that happens, walk a few blocks west to Isabella Stewart Gardner. It's not as expansive, but it's way more intimate and eclectic. At least you could see some of Sargent's masterpieces at the library!

My grandfather was on shore leave and went to the Coconut Grove that night to party, but was turned away at the door because the place was already over capacity.

The Salem Witch Museum is ridiculous in the best way camp can be. The animatronic trial reenactment is worth the admission price alone. It's like Disney World's The Hall of Presidents, but creepier - and in a different way than it's trying to be.

Old Posted May 24, 2023, 10:25 AM
A gruff individual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZH22 View Post
Nice pics! In one spot you wrote "Parts of the North End reminded me very much of London." but that comment was embedded between pics of Downtown Crossing. You did capture a bunch of the North End towards the bottom of Post #5, when you return from Salem and wrote "...Boston!" Just making sure you have your neighborhoods straight.
Much appreciated.

Old Posted May 24, 2023, 10:32 AM
A gruff individual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn View Post

Fantastic, just what I needed - commentary included! By any chance, did you make it down to the Seaport District?
Looking it up on Google Maps, it would appear we did not. I can tell you now though that if the opportunity to return to Boston and see the Seaport District were to present itself, I would gladly trample an old lady in my haste to do so.

Quote:
I think you really nailed the whole "Boston does granular urbanity best" argument. And May is Boston's most photogenic month next to October. Really, a great set of pics.
Thanks very much.

Quote:
My wife fell in love with Salem too the first time I brought her there. She didn't expect it to be an actual city. She thought it was going to be like the tourist-trap ninja villages in Japan. Peabody Essex is always a pleasant surprise for people who haven't heard of it.
After we went to the museum we ended up at the tourist office where we bought a refrigerator magnet and had a nice chat with the ladies running the office. They informed us on the proper way to pronounce "Peabody" ("Pibbuddy," apparently) and in return I taught them how to pronounce North Carolina's code word city of Rutherfordton ("Ruhth-fuh-ton") so they would be prepared if they ever decided to visit.

Quote:
It's a bummer you didn't get to enjoy the MFA. Next time that happens, walk a few blocks west to Isabella Stewart Gardner. It's not as expansive, but it's way more intimate and eclectic. At least you could see some of Sargent's masterpieces at the library!
We actually did consider going after learning they stay open late on Friday nights, but the price kept us away. Boston is not a cheap place to visit, but knowledge is power and we plan to save up enough to do the town properly at some point. I loved Massachusetts. I felt damn near blissful while there, which was alarming as I am not by any stretch of the imagination a blissful person. It was practically a new emotion but I'm eager to experience it again because, as they say, once is curiosity and twice is perversion.

Quote:
My grandfather was on shore leave and went to the Coconut Grove that night to party, but was turned away at the door because the place was already over capacity.
That's a hell of a story to have in your family history.

Quote:
The Salem Witch Museum is ridiculous in the best way camp can be. The animatronic trial reenactment is worth the admission price alone. It's like Disney World's The Hall of Presidents, but creepier - and in a different way than it's trying to be.
I look forward to going back to Salem and getting in some of the camp.

Old Posted May 25, 2023, 1:56 AM

"Pibuddy" "PI-b'di" for the fast-talking North Shore Italians. The North Shore is full of town names pronounced nothing like their spelling says they should. Billerica is "BRICK-ah", Haverhill is "HAY-vrul", Beverly is "BEV-eh-li", Woburn is "WOO-ben".

Mass is a special place. Knowing your fondness for Asheville, you might want to check out Western Mass next time you have the chance. Williamstown, North Adams, Northampton. The Berkshires and the Blue Ridge Mountains have a lot in common (beyond being part of the same wider range).

Also, if you haven't done it before - don't sleep on Rhode Island and Bristol County, Mass. Especially if you like Lovecraft or anything Gilded Age. You can do a New Bedford - Providence - Newport run (you can skip over Fall River).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos