HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Mar 24, 2023, 8:38 PM
TL;DR

Yeah I'm not sure about that. I too thought there would be a bigger setback from the tower to the edge of the lagoon.

MVVA has some model photos on their website (these are fairly recent since they show the Obama speech inscribed on the tower). The model shows an elevated terrace east of the tower, again with a landform over it. Probably some kind of back-of-house space for the OPC.

https://www.mvvainc.com/media/pages/...-2048x-q60.jpg

Old Posted Mar 25, 2023, 7:34 PM

I didn't expect the degree off complexity on this. Hats off to all involved. It appears the design made major efforts to maintain a low profile/sightline causing so much work to be done below grade. They really should jam those interior spaces with skylights from above. Really cool link to the vid of the ex-prez stopping by as well. Thanks for dropping that in.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2023, 6:37 PM
Rust Belt Motherland

I can finally see it coming together. Thanks ardecila for sharing that updated image. It's actually hard to find that perspective and really clears up what's going on.

Two corners are cut out on the first few floors plus there are patches that open below to the basement level and so it makes the shape a little confusing right now. Really interesting to see a demonstration of the cladding below. Pretty exciting IMO. Looks good and bird friendly.

Source: Doug Shaeffer

Last edited by Klippenstein; Mar 30, 2023 at 7:03 PM.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2023, 7:35 PM

kills me that this guy is such a hater but little does he know he's supplying construction & development enthusiasts with such great updates

Old Posted Apr 2, 2023, 4:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klippenstein View Post
I can finally see it coming together. Thanks ardecila for sharing that updated image. It's actually hard to find that perspective and really clears up what's going on.

Two corners are cut out on the first few floors plus there are patches that open below to the basement level and so it makes the shape a little confusing right now. Really interesting to see a demonstration of the cladding below. Pretty exciting IMO. Looks good and bird friendly.

I assumed this would be clad in limestone but this looks like marble. This is going to look really cool

Old Posted Apr 4, 2023, 2:51 AM
TL;DR

I guess it could be marble but I find that unlikely given the high-profile failure of the Standard Oil building in the Chicago climate. Even if you solve the warping issue (with much thicker stone) you have issues with staining/discoloration since the stone is so porous.

Architectural Digest claims the material is an American granite. Of course they can't use anything imported... Although the renderings look like a fake version of Calacatta marble.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2023, 1:58 PM

When I blow up that image of the facade mock up it does look more like granite with veining to me than marble. Looks like a different granite in the window recesses too.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2023, 6:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klippenstein View Post

Wow this material looks beautiful!

Old Posted Apr 4, 2023, 7:09 PM
Show me the blueprints

Yeah that's gorgeous. Top notch. I expected nothing less.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Apr 17, 2023, 3:32 PM
Rust Belt Motherland

Quote:
April 14, 2023
Obama Foundation
Construction crews continue to make progress on the Obama Presidential Center. We are thrilled to reach a new milestone in its construction:
The southernmost of the three cranes is now being disassembled, as the major structural work on the underground parking garage is complete!

At the Museum Building, the construction of elevator and stair cores and the exterior walls continues to climb upward and work is now visible from outside the construction fence.
The concrete is piped up from the ground through special machinery which is now visible atop the highest floor. The Museum Building will ultimately be 225 feet tall, which is approximately the height of the apex of the construction crane.

Crews are also placing overhead mechanical systems throughout the lower level of the buildings and work continues in the major mechanical rooms.
Structural concrete work continues in the Forum and Library buildings and the support deck for the street level concrete floor of the Forum Building is nearly complete.
That will pave the way for workers to begin pouring the street level floor slab.

Obama Foundation

Core is rising. The underground garage crane is gone.

Doug Shaeffer

Old Posted Apr 21, 2023, 2:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
I guess it could be marble but I find that unlikely given the high-profile failure of the Standard Oil building in the Chicago climate. Even if you solve the warping issue (with much thicker stone) you have issues with staining/discoloration since the stone is so porous.

Architectural Digest claims the material is an American granite. Of course they can't use anything imported... Although the renderings look like a fake version of Calacatta marble.
This is absolutely granite. Just because it has swirls doesn't make it marble. Marble is not pixelated like this. All the little flecks scream granite. Igneous rock all the way, this is not metamorphic rock.

Reddit.com/r/REbubble

Old Posted Apr 21, 2023, 3:56 PM
Rust Belt Motherland

Credit to Doug Shaeffer

Old Posted Apr 21, 2023, 4:54 PM
Becoming Chicago-fied!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
This is absolutely granite. Just because it has swirls doesn't make it marble. Marble is not pixelated like this. All the little flecks scream granite. Igneous rock all the way, this is not metamorphic rock.
It's not marble, that's for sure. The swirls mean it's metamorphic and not igneous, as they indicate partial melting under immense temperature and pressure. It's not granite, if actually refer to it more as a gneiss, though I'd need to take a mich closer look at it to be certain of its mineralogy.

Marble is metamorphosed limestone, gneiss is metamorphosed felsic (continental) rock of granitic origin.

This has been Glowrock's geology lesson for the day.

Aaron (Glowrock)

Old Posted Apr 21, 2023, 5:32 PM
Show me the blueprints

With a name like Glowrock it has to be goodTM

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Last edited by Busy Bee; Apr 21, 2023 at 5:47 PM.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2023, 5:57 PM

The operator of that tall tower crane must be exhausted after climbing every morning to his post. I don't understand the necessity to start the tower that high above the site.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2023, 7:17 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by glowrock View Post
It's not marble, that's for sure. The swirls mean it's metamorphic and not igneous, as they indicate partial melting under immense temperature and pressure. It's not granite, if actually refer to it more as a gneiss, though I'd need to take a mich closer look at it to be certain of its mineralogy.

Marble is metamorphosed limestone, gneiss is metamorphosed felsic (continental) rock of granitic origin.

This has been Glowrock's geology lesson for the day.

Aaron (Glowrock)
Yeah, I didn't think it was marble either but some early articles definitely used that word. Seeing the photos, it doesn't look like marble but the texture could be quartzite or something.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2023, 8:22 PM
Rust Belt Motherland

Quote:
Plan Commission approved Chicago Park District's proposed improvements at Midway Plaisance Park, located at 5950 S. Stony Island Ave. in Hyde Park. The project will add a new playground, lawn and gardens to the park's eastern end.

https://twitter.com/ChicagoDPD/statu...836864/photo/1

Old Posted Apr 21, 2023, 9:29 PM
Show me the blueprints

For many a layperson "marble" is to stone as "cement" is to concrete.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2023, 3:05 AM
Becoming Chicago-fied!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
For many a layperson "marble" is to stone as "cement" is to concrete.
Very true. All stone is either marble or granite to many people. Little do they know, however.

Old Posted May 24, 2023, 8:53 PM
Rust Belt Motherland

Yesterday

Credit: Doug Shaeffer

May 12th

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development