HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Sep 21, 2021, 1:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
Found out last night that Lo Presti's at Maxwell's will be closing at some point. Building has been or will be sold.
Curious if it's Darko again buying up the block. Both large parking lots on this block would be great do be built on. I just hope the heritage structure fronting Ferguson is retained. It's the only thing I car about on that block.

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Old Posted Sep 21, 2021, 1:46 PM

Probably a two tower site if the remainder of the block is assembled. It's quite a dumpy block too, other than the heritage building, so a new development would be appreciated. Some nice retail spilling out onto Ferguson would be nice, finally activating that space which has been underperforming since the city reconstructed it.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2021, 2:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
Probably a two tower site if the remainder of the block is assembled. It's quite a dumpy block too, other than the heritage building, so a new development would be appreciated. Some nice retail spilling out onto Ferguson would be nice, finally activating that space which has been underperforming since the city reconstructed it.
Agreed, retail along there would be great, unless it's Darko who has perpetually vacant commercial units, seemingly on purpose.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2021, 3:20 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRitsman View Post
Curious if it's Darko again buying up the block. Both large parking lots on this block would be great do be built on. I just hope the heritage structure fronting Ferguson is retained. It's the only thing I car about on that block.
We were there for dinner, and happened to overhear one of the wait staff telling another couple about it. Then ours mentioned it as well. No details or timing, just that it will be gone in the near future.

I asked if the restaurant will be moved, but the waiter didn't know. The owners may be ready to retire.

It would be a shame to lose it entirely, as the food and service are terrific and for fine dining it's really not all that expensive.

Ferguson and Jackson could be so much more. Wouldn't it be nice if Jackson emulated King William? There's little historical building stock, but it probably has the most parking lots of any street south of Main/King -- plenty of opportunity for a Core Urban to come in and erect attractive 3-5 floor commercial/residential buildings.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2021, 4:19 PM

I need to check out Lo Presti's (thanks for the insight ScreamingViking) before it closes, looks awesome and open for lunch. With the ladies' birthday approaching in two weeks, might be an ideal time.

This whole area of Main & whatever is ripe for the picking. Two car rental places, parking lot beside Dollarama. One can only dream of Wellington & Main being developed into something more useful for residential and retail.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2021, 8:27 PM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
We were there for dinner, and happened to overhear one of the wait staff telling another couple about it. Then ours mentioned it as well. No details or timing, just that it will be gone in the near future.

I asked if the restaurant will be moved, but the waiter didn't know. The owners may be ready to retire.

It would be a shame to lose it entirely, as the food and service are terrific and for fine dining it's really not all that expensive.

Ferguson and Jackson could be so much more. Wouldn't it be nice if Jackson emulated King William? There's little historical building stock, but it probably has the most parking lots of any street south of Main/King -- plenty of opportunity for a Core Urban to come in and erect attractive 3-5 floor commercial/residential buildings.
Contact core urban and lt them know.. maybe they'll consider it for future

Old Posted Sep 22, 2021, 1:15 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronamut View Post
Contact core urban and lt them know.. maybe they'll consider it for future
I would be surprised if they haven't already.

It would be interesting to know who owns the properties along there... they've probably been some of the cheapest downtown, so there's opportunity to flip while making some cash on the ones that are parking. Vranich would be a good guess as pointed out above.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2021, 1:31 PM

Lo Presti's was on the market last year, along with the heritage building and parking lot next door and the parking lot across the street: https://cw-gbl-gws-prod.azureedge.ne...n--sep1520.pdf

I have no idea who ended up buying it all, but I expect it'll be something big. Fingers crossed that it's not Vranich…

Old Posted Sep 22, 2021, 1:52 PM

Just got confirmation there was no Sep 9 DRP meeting. The October meeting will also likely be cancelled as they have received no submissions as of yet and they are due Sep 24.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2021, 12:31 PM

Quick question, was driving down Main Street East (past Wellington, maybe near St Patrick's church), enormous mound of dirt excavated), anybody else note or know project underway?

Old Posted Sep 26, 2021, 12:57 PM

New public school I believe.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2021, 2:27 PM
It's a nickname from work

They're knocking down and rebuilding the catholic school. From March;

Old Posted Sep 26, 2021, 8:30 PM
Burger Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShavedParmesanCheese View Post
They're knocking down and rebuilding the catholic school. From March;
Wow what a small lot for a school! No field or outdoor area for kids to have recess??? That seems crazy to me, I thought kids need to get outside and run around for a set amount of time per school day?

Old Posted Sep 26, 2021, 10:23 PM
Concerned Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by StEC View Post
Wow what a small lot for a school! No field or outdoor area for kids to have recess??? That seems crazy to me, I thought kids need to get outside and run around for a set amount of time per school day?
There is an area at the rear of the church for the outdoor playground.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2021, 8:08 PM
Great White Norf

Quote:
Originally Posted by StEC View Post
Yeah, how small is the play area for school children? I know it's inner city but kids need some space to play.

Shawn:

Old Posted Sep 28, 2021, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigs View Post
Yeah, how small is the play area for school children? I know it's inner city but kids need some space to play.

Shawn:

The school moved to its current location on East Avenue in 1912.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2021, 1:56 AM

Not really development related but the CIBC sign has been updated to the new logo on the commerce place tower.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2021, 11:29 AM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban_planner View Post
Not really development related but the CIBC sign has been updated to the new logo on the commerce place tower.

https://www.newswire.ca/news-release...825979837.html

It's better than the last one, but it feels like it's for some kind of health care company or government agency.

I guess because they were used during my formative years I will always appreciate these ones the best:

https://1000logos.net/cibc-logo/

Old Posted Sep 29, 2021, 1:13 PM

My mother works for CIBC and has been since the 80s. She still has her original offer letter and it has those older logos.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2021, 5:58 PM
Hammer'd

Kinda looks like the Rogers logo now.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton