HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Feb 23, 2024, 3:32 PM

Great article on Reinsdorf snapping up United Center-adjacent lots:
https://chicago.suntimes.com/the-wat...-loop-ballpark

Old Posted Feb 24, 2024, 5:33 AM

^ What I'd bet they'd really like is the Henry Horner Homes. I think the obvious plan here is a stadium renovation/potentially new stadium with a large entertainment district. Remember the principal people here are Michael Reinsdorf and Danny Wirtz; decidedly not their fathers, although Jerry is the one putting up the cash on that end. Hopefully they are seeing the potential for what could be a vast neighborhood connecting improvement.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2024, 5:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithakas View Post
Great article on Reinsdorf snapping up United Center-adjacent lots:
https://chicago.suntimes.com/the-wat...-loop-ballpark
It's kind of insane that every single major league sports team in Chicago sans the Cubs is currently exploring stadium redevelopment plans. Bears, Fire, Sox, and apparently Bulls and Blackhawks per this article.

If this all actually happens over the next decade then maybe it'd actually be financially viable to host the Olympics here unlike in 2016. Not that it'd happen so close to LA28.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2024, 6:17 PM
devout Pizzatarian

^ maybe the Cubs should rekindle their Schaumburg plans just for the hell of it!

One of my uncles actually had one of those "NO Schaumburg Cubs" T-shirts back in the '80s. It'd probably be a pretty cool collector's item now if he still had it.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Feb 24, 2024 at 7:10 PM.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2024, 7:29 PM
My Mind Has Left My Body

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kngkyle View Post
It's kind of insane that every single major league sports team in Chicago sans the Cubs is currently exploring stadium redevelopment plans. Bears, Fire, Sox, and apparently Bulls and Blackhawks per this article.

If this all actually happens over the next decade then maybe it'd actually be financially viable to host the Olympics here unlike in 2016. Not that it'd happen so close to LA28.
I'd be very surprised if the Bulls think about a new stadium, especially one within current blocks of the current UC? What advantage would come from it? From all appearances, the UC has held up reasonably well. The Hawks/Bulls have built a quasi-campus there over the last 15 years.

Maybe, BIG maybe, the idea is hopefully that the time is finally right to catch some of the West Loop's fire and build some of their own residential and retail by the UC. If I were Wirtz or JR I would think I was losing out on easy revenue from the 100s of people (maybe more?) who eat out in the West Loop and Little Italy before games. Why not go in with restauranteur partnerships and get a cut from that revenue? If they had some decent restaurants near the stadium, I have no doubt they would get packed, at least on game day.

....I say all that while thinking it would be sweet if the Bulls or Hawks decided to build a new arena somewhere closer to downtown in the next decade.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2024, 8:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomarandlee View Post
I'd be very surprised if the Bulls think about a new stadium, especially one within current blocks of the current UC? What advantage would come from it? From all appearances, the UC has held up reasonably well. The Hawks/Bulls have built a quasi-campus there over the last 15 years.

Maybe, BIG maybe, the idea is hopefully that the time is finally right to catch some of the West Loop's fire and build some of their own residential and retail by the UC. If I were Wirtz or JR I would think I was losing out on easy revenue from the 100s of people (maybe more?) who eat out in the West Loop and Little Italy before games. Why not go in with restauranteur partnerships and get a cut from that revenue? If they had some decent restaurants near the stadium, I have no doubt they would get packed, at least on game day.

....I say all that while thinking it would be sweet if the Bulls or Hawks decided to build a new arena somewhere closer to downtown in the next decade.
I didn't mean they were looking for a new stadium, just upgrades to the United Center and the area surrounding, which is what the Sun Times article is confirming.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2024, 8:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomarandlee View Post
cap the Kennedy and put a new arena there

Old Posted Feb 24, 2024, 9:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toasty Joe View Post
cap the Kennedy and put a new arena there
And what are you going to do with all the entrance and exit ramps piercing through the building, if you're proposing a Loop site? Either way, the Kennedy alone isn't wide enough requiring teardowns on one side or the other or both.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2024, 2:56 AM

Another midrise in Bronzeville has pending permits. A 48 unit, 8 parking spot building is planned for 545 E Oakwood Blvd. This is where the old Holy Angels School used to be

Old Posted Feb 25, 2024, 7:57 AM
Chicago

850 W Washington

Quote:
Originally Posted by mh777 View Post
Demo permits issued for 850 W Washington, which is currently a car wash/parking garage. Prime time location but with Mavrek being the developer, I'd guess we're looking at a mid-rise here.
February 20, 2024

Old Posted Feb 25, 2024, 7:58 AM
Chicago

919 on Fulton - 919 W Fulton Market

February 20, 2024

Old Posted Feb 25, 2024, 7:59 AM
Chicago

Cloud Gate Renovation - 201 E Randolph

February 22, 2024

Old Posted Feb 25, 2024, 8:00 AM
Chicago

355 East Riverwalk South

February 22, 2024

Old Posted Feb 25, 2024, 8:07 AM
Chicago

Centennial Fountain Rehabilitation Project - 401 E River Dr

February 22, 2024

June 10, 2008

July 23, 2019

Old Posted Feb 25, 2024, 1:22 PM

Thanks Solar - I was wondering what happened to the fountain shooting over the river but never looked into it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolarWind View Post
February 22, 2024

Old Posted Feb 25, 2024, 9:57 PM

According to my data, there's over new 2500 units pending new construction permits in over 115 new buildings, submitted since July 2023. Actually more like 3000 because that 40 story Southbank building pending a permit probably will have 400+ new units.

There's also almost 85 new SFH pending permits plus new retail, office, hotel, etc buildings.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2024, 1:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
According to my data, there's over new 2500 units pending new construction permits in over 115 new buildings, submitted since July 2023. Actually more like 3000 because that 40 story Southbank building pending a permit probably will have 400+ new units.

There's also almost 85 new SFH pending permits plus new retail, office, hotel, etc buildings.
Do you have a list of addresses?

Old Posted Feb 26, 2024, 1:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mh777 View Post
Do you have a list of addresses?
I have a map. I have to clean some up that are pending zoning change but haven't been submitted yet. My total doesn't come from this map but a separate spreadsheet (those zoning ones that aren't pending yet aren't included in that):

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer...544999999&z=10

I'm also making one for renovation permits with up and down conversions that are pending approval of the permit.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2024, 6:05 AM
Cap ou pas cap?

How does this compare to previous time periods? Is that less/more than typical? Just want to be able to put that number in context.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2024, 2:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jboy560 View Post
How does this compare to previous time periods? Is that less/more than typical? Just want to be able to put that number in context.
Not sure - just figured out how to get the most up to date pending permits and then mine the rest. I don't think they keep permits in this db that were pending for more than a few years.

There's currently 21 projects of 30-125 units pending permits right now that I can find. A few more that are 300+ - most are 30 units and under though. There's also some projects that are looking to add some pretty big unit counts in existing buildings. For example +68 units at 730 S Clark St in Printer's Row and converting the old school at 1417 N Talman St in East Humboldt Park/West Town to 102 new units.

I'm still mining that one, but so far the net increase of renovation permits looking to add or remove units city-wide is +342 units. I'm sure this will grow as I mine more as the trend seems to be more of adding units than subtracting.

Last edited by marothisu; Feb 26, 2024 at 5:16 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development