HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 13, 2022, 4:26 AM

When the MPI lot is developed on the SW corner, then the skywalk would be right there. It's waiting for expansion at 330 St. Mary if they wanted to.

Old Posted May 13, 2022, 4:45 PM
What could go wrong?

I thought this was a cool render of 300 Main

from 300 Main Twitter
https://twitter.com/300MainWinnipeg/...29073709793288
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted May 13, 2022, 8:18 PM
surely you agree with me

a couple fun articles from the free press archives.

Old Posted May 13, 2022, 8:19 PM
surely you agree with me

Old Posted May 16, 2022, 2:23 PM
BANNED

Another good article in todays Free Press by Vike!

Old Posted May 16, 2022, 4:13 PM

I was looking at what is clearly the burner Twitter account of a local developer (IYKYK) and he posted some pics of a Number 10 project in River Heights. I don't recall seeing it here before, the buildings look nice. Classy masonry is starting to become a Number 10 trademark.

Source: https://twitter.com/thinnskinn/statu...74395254804483

Old Posted May 16, 2022, 4:17 PM

Probably because it's becoming cheaper than metal again lol

Vike posted about this notion in the West Broadway Commons thread

Old Posted May 16, 2022, 5:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I was looking at what is clearly the burner Twitter account of a local developer (IYKYK)
pessimistic waterfront development takes and casual racism, who could it possibly be

Old Posted May 16, 2022, 5:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borkborkbork View Post
pessimistic waterfront development takes and casual racism, who could it possibly be
lol

Old Posted May 16, 2022, 6:17 PM
surely you agree with me

Ha! I blocked that guy long ago. No wonder I didn't see it.

That must've been a photo of a computer screen at one of the public consultation meetings.

I will take his disapproval as a proud accomplishment.

The architecture has actually been well received....obviously a project like that has some neighbours concerned otherwise. I'm excited about it. It's fun to do some smaller infill like that. Gives me a change to do something a bit different.

Old Posted May 16, 2022, 6:35 PM

It's a beauty.

Old Posted May 16, 2022, 6:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Another good article in todays Free Press by Vike!
Yes, much agreed! For those who want the WFP link, here is the article on Winnipeg having more city than we can pay for (i.e. too much suburban sprawl).

Also, anecdotally I want to add that Bellamy needs to keep pumping these articles out - within reason, obviously, to maintain quality. But the past few years of putting pressure on elected and government officials, and shedding light on the issue for the general public is helping this narrative is gain traction. These pieces are being read by City Hall and people are giving them serious thought, something that has been lacking for the last three decades.

I'd be willing to bet money that articles in the past from Bellamy have gotten the ball rolling to get the City to actually do the math on the cost of development costs relative to revenue to actually figure out if/how much sprawl costs and how to alleviate the issue. It will take them a few years to do the analysis, but I believe it will be very insightful and add a lot to the debate moving forward when citizens and politicians want to discuss how to grow, what types of development to encourage or discourage, and financial sustainability. I also know the Halifax study often citied in these articles have been a good launching pad. But the issue of sprawl versus density isn't as cut and dry as one sometimes thinks it can be. Density has costs too - old inner-city wastewater infrastructure would need to be replaced sooner, back lanes paved, and aging infrastructure would reach its limits quicker, but these are all likely cheaper than sprawl in the long run. The trick is getting politicians to think about the city and its finances as an eternal entity, not some 4 or 8 year term.

Anyways, please keep it up. The pressure is good, and will be critical in framing the mayoral candidates and debates later this year.

Old Posted May 16, 2022, 6:59 PM

In his 12 years of writing columns, this Bellamy character has practically written a manual on municipal planning and design best practices. I find it amazing that he consistently comes up with fresh and interesting topics to comment on insightfully.

I have no doubt that these columns help to frame the overall debate, but I wish that the City actually took his advice and implemented his suggestions.

Old Posted May 16, 2022, 7:17 PM

Haven't they somewhat? The OurWinnipeg 2045 and Complete Communities 2.0 state that >50% new homes need to be in the the existing footprint of the city. I realize that plan approval decisions are ultimately political and made by elected officials, but those strategic plans give them cover to grant approval over nimbys' objections. I've already heard councillors cite these documents when approving infill.

Old Posted May 16, 2022, 7:30 PM

To some extent, our planning documents have always said the right things. I remember being a student poring over Plan Winnipeg in the 90s and you would think Winnipeg was poised to become an urbanist paradise based on the concepts espoused in that document. The reality fell somewhat short of that mark.

But that said, at least councillors are willing to actually say no to NIMBYs from time to time. That's an improvement.

Old Posted May 16, 2022, 7:43 PM

Yeah agreed, sometimes policies and plans read well but what we get is absurd. I'm thinking of this recent development on Stafford:

https://www.google.com/maps/@49.8709...7i16384!8i8192

and what is currently u/c on Academy:

https://www.google.com/maps/@49.8738...7i16384!8i8192

These examples are evidence of a City (both capital C and lower c) that just doesn't get it.

I agree, solid article in the FP today. It was straightforward and one would have to really have their head in the sand to not come away from it with a basic understanding of why density makes sense from an economic point of view.

Old Posted May 16, 2022, 7:59 PM

I think reporting something like "lane-km per household" as a headline item equivalent in prominence to things population growth or the size of tax-supported operating budget would help focus the attention of both voters and councillors. Then developments could framed in terms of "this development will add/subtract N lane-km per household in the road maintenance budget".

Pressure groups already calculate this, but it would be harder to ignore if it's reported by the city's own staff alongside fiscal statements or city budgets.

Old Posted May 17, 2022, 2:14 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

dont think this was mention on here the architect of the wag passed away last month
https://www.legacy.com/ca/obituaries...RfEryIJaFLY-hQ

Old Posted May 17, 2022, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
dont think this was mention on here the architect of the wag passed away last month
https://www.legacy.com/ca/obituaries...RfEryIJaFLY-hQ
Thanks for sharing that. He certainly left his mark on the city with some very impressive buildings, with the WAG at the top of the list.

I used to live in Riverview and I enjoyed taking a long look at 738 Nassau St S. whenever I passed by. Also a big fan of the brutalist Bank of Montreal branch on Mountain Avenue, that building made an impression on me going back as far as when I was a kid.

Old Posted May 18, 2022, 1:08 AM

I see that Bellamy guy is quoted extensively in the WFP about the over-abundance of downtown surface level parking lots:

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/lo...576506402.html

Last edited by DavefromSt.Vital; May 18, 2022 at 5:36 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan