HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Apr 17, 2022, 8:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajiuO View Post
Does anyone know if that ugly wall around temple square is being completely removed. If not. What parts of it will remain… I personally think they should just get rid of the whole thing and and a more open rod iron type of fence.

Also… is space Jesus gone forever or will it be housed in one of the new structures… I’m not personally religious… but space Jesus is like a salt lake icon.
From the renderings, you can see at least parts of the wall will still be there, but large sections are being taken out.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2022, 1:48 PM

Quote:
Does anyone know if that ugly wall around temple square is being completely removed. If not. What parts of it will remain… I personally think they should just get rid of the whole thing and and a more open rod iron type of fence.

Also… is space Jesus gone forever or will it be housed in one of the new structures… I’m not personally religious… but space Jesus is like a salt lake icon.
I'm glad there will be a remnant of the wall -- that goes back to the adobe walls in the pioneer era. So...glad there will be a portion of it that remains.

The new pair of visitors centers on the south end of Temple Square will mostly be underground, and the Space Jesus will be in one of those.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2022, 6:20 PM

Quote:

That's pretty much exactly what they're doing. Both the North and South Temple sightlines will be unblocked, greatly improved, and much more open by placing the new visitors centers to the sides of the Temple and getting rid of the solid wall. There will still be a wall over on the west corners and West Temple section, which I think is smart as it helps with creating more of a peaceful surrounding of the gardens. That will be especially true for the new gardens, which are replacing that old visitors center over on the northwest corner.

BSL had some great photo updates this morning of what's going on over at Harvest Marmalade and the new northern additions to the Hardware District. They've made a lot of progress over at Hardware on those two big projects. I was just thinking the other day of asking you guys if they had even started yet. I was shocked to see how built-up it already is!

Rendering of sightline improvement views from the street perspective to the north.

Rendering of sightline improvement views from the street perspective to the south. These are vastly improved street views of the historic Temple, which were formerly blocked by a solid wall and modern-day structural additions.

Last edited by delts145; Apr 18, 2022 at 6:39 PM.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2022, 7:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
Some fantastic shots from the opening of 95 State from the subreddit:

The next church property better have the spire ON TOP of the building, not on the bottom

Old Posted Apr 19, 2022, 11:07 AM

The church at the bottom of 95 State is growing on me a little bit. I still don't really like how it feels at street level, and I will admit a bias against a certain religion, but it does actually look pretty nice when it's all taken in at once, now that the construction is done.

Also, 465 S Main and the redesigned Coachmans are both on the slate for the next PC meeting.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2022, 1:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob rulz View Post
The church at the bottom of 95 State is growing on me a little bit. I still don't really like how it feels at street level, and I will admit a bias against a certain religion, but it does actually look pretty nice when it's all taken in at once, now that the construction is done.

Also, 465 S Main and the redesigned Coachmans are both on the slate for the next PC meeting.
465 gonna get started before Sundial?

Old Posted Apr 19, 2022, 3:00 PM

Judge rules against order to stop demolition of century-old Salt Lake theater

https://www.sltrib.com/news/2022/04/...-utah-theater/

https://www.ksl.com/article/50389265...t-lake-theater

Last edited by nushiof; Apr 19, 2022 at 3:14 PM.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2022, 4:45 PM

Looks like they started the demo on the parking garage by Pantages. Valentine is live streaming from his IG.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2022, 6:04 PM
Eschew Obfuscation

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC PopPunk View Post
Looks like they started the demo on the parking garage by Pantages. Valentine is live streaming from his IG.
Here's a screenshot I took from his stream:

Old Posted Apr 19, 2022, 7:56 PM

Pantages Theatre

Finally, finally , finally !!!!!

Also, has anyone on this forum heard when the approximate date for construction to start on the Sundial tower?

Old Posted Apr 19, 2022, 10:52 PM

I can confirm demolition of the Utah Theatre is well under way. Not only have the demo'd the small building in the foreground of the picture above, now there are huge gaping hopes in the brick walls of the theatre structure itself. Hines is not messing around. They complete a LOT of demo today.

There were a few people viewing the action when I walked by. One guy was taking drone footage. There was also a police car parked nearby (just in case) I'm sure.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2022, 11:39 PM

A sad ending to a depressing story of neglect, missed opportunities, and historical apathy. I'm most frustrated by 1) Mayor Bisckupski selling the theater on a
technicality (without a vote or input from the citizens), and 2) the theater being demoed to make way not for the tower (which I like), but for the parking garage (which I don't like). There are many lessons to learn from this story, and I hope we can take them to heart so that we don't have to lose more historic buildings to satisfy the unhealthy demand for parking spaces.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2022, 1:49 AM
Exit 298

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatman View Post
A sad ending to a depressing story of neglect, missed opportunities, and historical apathy. I'm most frustrated by 1) Mayor Bisckupski selling the theater on a
technicality (without a vote or input from the citizens), and 2) the theater being demoed to make way not for the tower (which I like), but for the parking garage (which I don't like). There are many lessons to learn from this story, and I hope we can take them to heart so that we don't have to lose more historic buildings to satisfy the unhealthy demand for parking spaces.
I still think the best option was the make the RDA say, "Okay, we'll sell you this for $0, but you have to build a scale replica of the theater at the base of the new tower— featuring original skylights, chandeliers, and the like."

Granted, this is no Penn Station. But it sure looked like something from it would be worth saving somehow. Especially when there's a vacant lot just to the west that could be developed.

And don't get me started on Biskupski. She was SLC's Trump. She even has the hair.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2022, 2:20 AM
They all float down here

Quote:
I think the theater episode sums up what has been so wrong with Salt Lake for the last 40+ years - just a total neglect of the city's historic fabric (which led to this, and something that likely needed to happen anyway). It's really a shame and not a mindset that I don't think will be changing anytime soon.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2022, 4:07 AM

Demolition already started for 346 South 500 East. I can maybe snag some pics sometime this month.

https://www.buildingsaltlake.com/eas...ental-project/

Old Posted Apr 21, 2022, 2:39 PM

Quote:
That is a big let down, there’s so many other places this generic looking tower could go, it’s not like there isn’t plenty of surface parking lots to drop this on to. Bummer to see a historic and unique building like this list. Oh well…

Old Posted Apr 21, 2022, 2:45 PM

I hope that's just a pretty lousy preliminary rendering. That rendering gives it a very flat cheap look. They had better do something different with that facade at the street front. It looks like they got mixed up and put the backside upfront on the street...Yuck!

And next to Trolley Square no less. This makes me concerned about what might finally end up on that south parking lot. Hopefully, changes have been made and we'll be pleasantly surprised.

Last edited by delts145; Apr 21, 2022 at 2:55 PM.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2022, 8:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
I hope that's just a pretty lousy preliminary rendering. That rendering gives it a very flat cheap look. They had better do something different with that facade at the street front. It looks like they got mixed up and put the backside upfront on the street...Yuck!

And next to Trolley Square no less. This makes me concerned about what might finally end up on that south parking lot. Hopefully, changes have been made and we'll be pleasantly surprised.
The fact that the balconies aren't facing the street is mindboggling.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2022, 12:59 AM
dtwn_living

I live in the Regent and this is my view of the Utah Theater demolition. I'll get a few better shots when the wind stops and the air is clear.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2022, 1:44 PM

In case you missed it, updates from Luke Garrott at BSL on three excellent projects downtown. Amazing how quickly that district around Marmalade and Hardware is transforming. What was once kind of a downtrodden area is now becoming very chic. https://www.buildingsaltlake.com/har...e-in-pictures/

Small Sample:

Harvest at Marmalade

The Ice House Project, including the Cambry Townhomes

Salt Lake Crossing

Last edited by delts145; Apr 22, 2022 at 3:49 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West