HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Jun 5, 2022, 7:47 PM

I found these two posts about the Dugout:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noir_Noir View Post
Someone took a picture of the Dugout's sign ... so there's likely one of the restaurant building out there somewhere.

flickr.com - PatricksMercy

"It was not uncommon for players to take second jobs in the winter. Stars like Drysdale opened businesses. The Dugout, on Oxnard St., lasted until 1982."

upinthevalley.org

I also found matchbooks and menus giving an address of 14032 Oxnard St, Van Nuys, which is now Mariscos La Sirenita Mexican restaurant. I didn't find any images of the original restaurant. It looks like Don Drysdale also owned Don’s Dugout at 1701 E McFadden in Santa Ana. The references to that location seem to date from the '70s.

BTW. The image above originates from the LAPL website, which dates it at May 25, 1962. You can see the original here.___________________________________________________________________________

Old Posted Jun 5, 2022, 7:56 PM

In addition to HossC's mention of another location in Santa Ana, there also appears to have been one in Hawaii (Lahaina, Maui):

Etsy

You can also currently buy a t-shirt of this establishment from a t-shirt company:

m00nshot

Old Posted Jun 5, 2022, 10:40 PM

Thanks Martin & others! Wow, multiple locations. I wish I was old enough to go to the original one in the Valley and meet Don. I was just a kid and it was an adult place, just a bar that served some food in the first years. He was said to be there a lot in the early years. Did any of you noirishers ever visit the place and see Don? Don was a friendly guy off the mound, but very intimidating when pitching. Very tall, and not afraid to throw brush back pitches. He hit many batters with balls. He signed with the Brooklyn Dodgers right out of Van Nuys HS. His pitching co-star Sandy Koufax is still around, but must be getting up there in years. From 1962-1966, Sandy was dominating on the mound. Possibly the best pitching five year stretch ever. He and Don were the best one two pitching punch in baseball, and the Dodgers won the NL pennant in 1959, 1963, 1965 and 1966, and nearly won in 1962. They won the World Series in 1959, 1963 and 1965, sweeping the Yankees in 4 games in '63.

Last edited by CaliNative; Jun 5, 2022 at 11:07 PM.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2022, 2:04 AM

Old Posted Jun 7, 2022, 2:09 AM

[QUOTE=Noir_Noir;9641814]

How the holdout worked out

Considering how huge baseball & other sports salaries have become, Don & Sandy's demand for a bit more than $100,000in 1966 was a bargain for the Dodgers. The reserve clause allowed baseball teams to under pay their players. The players could not move to other teams for better pay. In essense, they were slaves owned by the teams. These union pickets were pointing out that Don's Dugout was non-union, but so was baseball back then. The O'malleys became very rich under paying their players. Good find noir noir. Thanks.

P.S...Don & Sandy's 1966 "holdout" strike worked...the Dodgers gave in and gave Don $105,000 and Sandy $125,000 for 1966, both breaking Babe Ruth's old salary record. They became the highest paid players in baseball, but small change by current baseball salaries, even allowing for inflation. Some pitchers earn a lot more than $100,000 for every start nowdays. $5 million a year is a middling salary for an average pitcher. Don and Sandy would be making better than $20 million a year today, or at least Sandy would.

Last edited by CaliNative; Jun 8, 2022 at 6:54 AM.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2022, 3:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post

If you go to the Found City Photos index page and click on the number in the "Replies" column on the right of the NLA row, you'll get a complete list of all the contributors to the thread - there are currently 629. Here's the current first 30 with their post counts:

User Name - Posts

ethereal_reality - 14,358
HossC - 4,090
GaylordWilshire - 3,617
CityBoyDoug - 2,868
tovangar2 - 2,619
Martin Pal - 2,190
BifRayRock - 1,366
MichaelRyerson - 1,139
odinthor - 1,118
Flyingwedge - 1,066
Tourmaline - 996
sopas ej - 836
Godzilla - 701
gsjansen - 681
Beaudry - 681
FredH - 676
Chuckaluck - 649
oldstuff - 623
Earl Boebert - 592
CaliNative - 566
BillinGlendaleCA - 508
Scott Charles - 481
ProphetM - 433
Lorendoc - 409
Noir_Noir - 406
Lwize - 398
Los Angeles Past - 387
Handsome Stranger - 380
Those Who Squirm! - 361
Bristolian - 348

(AlvaroLegido, you're 34th)
Wow, crazy that gsjansen and I both have posted exactly 681 times.

Since we're on the subject of missing noirishers, I should mention that gsjansen was the nom de noirish for Richard Roth, the son of Richard Roth Jr. of the famed Emery Roth and Sons. He was a really good guy, lived in Florida, thick New York accent, and the last time I talked to him, he was aghast at the demolition of La Colima. He died a couple years ago, in his late 50s if I remember condition, heart condition I think.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2022, 4:16 AM

Delete; duplicate post. Sneaky way to run up the post total to move up in list rank. Just kidding. Ethereal, Hoss, Gaylord and City Boy's ranks will never be challenged.

Last edited by CaliNative; Jun 8, 2022 at 7:23 AM.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2022, 4:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaudry View Post
Wow, crazy that gsjansen and I both have posted exactly 681 times.

Since we're on the subject of missing noirishers, I should mention that gsjansen was the nom de noirish for Richard Roth, the son of Richard Roth Jr. of the famed Emery Roth and Sons. He was a really good guy, lived in Florida, thick New York accent, and the last time I talked to him, he was aghast at the demolition of La Colima. He died a couple years ago, in his late 50s if I remember condition, heart condition I think.
It's for ethereal to decide, but maybe Doug, #4 in posts, should be allowed back into the noir tent. Spicy meals are memorable. A little hot sauce never hurts. Many of his old video finds and observations were interesting. As long as the hot sauce doesn't go out of bounds. Spicy meals without indigestion are the best.

I remember an old post that he had where he pointed out that markets used to carry things like rabbit meat, beef hearts, kidneys and calf's brains back in noirish times. Even beef liver has become harder to find. Liver and onions used to be a common meal, not my favorite to put it mildly, but quite common in old noirish days. My mother would make it for dinner sometimes. I slapped ketchup on it and politely ate some and then picked at it, and slipped some to the dog under the table who loved it. Now these meats are harder to find. I found that interesting, how food habits change and why. I can understand why brains and hearts went away. Who wants to eat something that makes you gag, or worse just looking at it?

I had never tried rabbit, so I got into a discussion with Doug about what it tasted like and how to cook it. I still remember that. I think he said fried was best, or maybe fried in butter and wine. I can't remember if Doug said it tasted like chicken, but he might have

Last edited by CaliNative; Jun 8, 2022 at 7:06 AM.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2022, 4:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riichkay View Post
I believe this is CBD, from the comments to the YouTube clip....

Suggest that it may be time to remove the ban....I've noted the periodic feuds, but Doug has contributed so many insightful, and often colorful, posts to the thread....that should be acknowledged.
Agree.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2022, 5:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bristolian View Post
You may be thinking of Scott Charles. He showed up and became an instant contributor with great stories and graphics skills.
If my memory is correct, he got involved in a little feud with CBD and abruptly left.

I will say that I would like to see Scott Charles return and leave it at that.
I hope we see more of Scott as well. The Richfield tower, which Scott used as an avatar, was my favorite old L.A. building. People can disagree, but without rancor here. Feud free zone. A place to relax and unwind. Hope all is well with you Scott

Last edited by CaliNative; Jun 7, 2022 at 6:38 AM.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2022, 3:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliNative View Post
Agree.
Quote:
It's for ethereal to decide, but maybe Doug, #4 in posts, should be allowed back into the noir tent. Spicy meals are memorable. A little hot sauce never hurts. Many of his old video finds and observations were interesting. As long as the hot sauce doesn't go out of bounds. Spicy meals without indigestion are the best.

I remember an old post that he had where he pointed out that markets used to carry things like rabbit meat and calves brains and kidneys back in noirish times. Even beef liver has become harder to find. Liver and onions used to be a common meal, not my favorite to put it mildly, but quite common in old noirish days. My mother would make it for dinner sometimes. I slapped ketchup on it and politely ate some and then picked at it, and slipped some to the dog under the table who loved it. Now these meats are harder to find. I found that interesting, how food habits change and why.

I had never tried rabbit, so I got into a discussion with Doug about what it tasted like and how to cook it. I still remember that. I think he said fried was best, or maybe fried in butter and wine. I can't remember if Doug said it tasted like chicken, but he might have

I don't think CBD should be allowed back on noirish Los Angeles. His rants were getting worse and worse and his good posts fewer and fewer. He found things to complain about that were completely off-topic. There are other forums for him to use if he likes.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2022, 8:10 PM

Thanks for the follow-ups on the recent eBay mystery photograph, HHuntington and HossC.

I've figured out the multi-storied brick building in the distance.

I believe it's the building circled below. . .

LAPL

sidenote:... That's the iconic Los Angeles County Hospital under construction in the upper left.

I thought (wrongly, as it turns out) that the higher part of the building (that you see in the eBay photograph) was actual another building a bit farther to the north. (the one with the red arrow, below)

That is, until I happened upon this photograph....It is all one building....

LAPL

And it's the Los Angeles County Tuberculosis Unit. (photo taken May 5, 1939)

But there's one lingering question. Why doesn't the taller part the tuberculosis unit appear in the c.1930 aerial photograph?

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jun 7, 2022 at 8:39 PM.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2022, 9:16 PM

odinthor, presented a question about the DEE photograph. . .or more specifically about the hill behind the Dee Market. (thanks noir noir)

detail

Quote:
Originally Posted by odinthor View Post
I grew interested in this hill--or should I say "bluff"--and poked around it a little. Near its summit, on the other side of the house in the above, is a street called Academy Street, which is one of L.A.'s steepestBut I don't know why it's called Academy Street.
He later added.
Quote:
Originally Posted by odinthor View Post
But I don't know why it's called Academy Street.

I'm pretty sure I have the answer to odinthor's intriguing question.

pdf

Los Angeles Times - Aug. 6, 1910.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2022, 10:14 PM

Here's the LA Military Academy on the 1921 Baist map. Although Academy Street is just across Huntington Drive, it doesn't appear to be part of the site. Of course, that doesn't mean the street wasn't named after the nearby military academy. The 1927 aerial view shows streets and scattered houses across the former academy site.

www.historicmapworks.com

Old Posted Jun 7, 2022, 10:26 PM

Thanks e_r and Hoss!

Here's a little more on the Los Angeles Military Academy, just for the record:

LA Times, 8/6/1910.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2022, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engineeral View Post
I don't think CBD should be allowed back on noirish Los Angeles. His rants were getting worse and worse and his good posts fewer and fewer. He found things to complain about that were completely off-topic. There are other forums for him to use if he likes.
I didn't know some of the facts. I now do thanks to a private message from one of the outstanding noirishers (it wasn't ethereal). Apparently the suspension (if it was a suspension) was from the page admin., not anybody here including ethereal. Maybe CBD just decided not to post anymore, and there was no suspension. Not sure. But if anybody is suspended, any poster can reapply for posting privaleges if they wish too if they promise to tone down the thing that got them suspended. I support a second chance.

I wish Doug well and hope he is happy. His posts were often good and I miss them as do some others, and maybe he will post again.

Too bad everybody can't get along all the time, at least here, and leave anger and feuds at the door, but that is human nature. It takes two people to feud, not just Doug. When somebody attacks me, I just try to brush it off, even if angry. Feuds are pointless and a waste of time. I come here to relax, not feud. This blog is very relaxing, a place to remember the old days and leave worries at the door. If people disagree, do it in a friendly way. If that doesn't work, just walk away from the budding feud.

Last edited by CaliNative; Jun 8, 2022 at 5:29 AM.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2022, 11:18 PM

I am still going back to the first years of this blog to see what I have missed. I've been here for a few years, but have probably not seen the first 75% of posts at least. There must be gems on those old pages. I should catch up by 2025.

Last edited by CaliNative; Jun 8, 2022 at 7:29 AM.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2022, 12:39 AM

This 2020 pic from page 2703 shows the Dee Market. Not sure if anyone has pointed out that the building is still standing.
Quote:

And this one shows the sign for the Monterey Cafe as well as the lumber yard. The sign is behind the pole on the right in the picture above.

serendipitism.blogspot.com
As was discussed, the tower in the distance is part of McDonnell's Restaurant, roughly at the site of the Los Angeles Military Academy. HossC's post today of a Baist map shows the long gone "old bridge" across the tracks which was mentioned on a McDonnell's menu.
Quote:
And part of a menu.

toliveanddinela.com

The restaurant is visible on the far right of the aerial I posted yesterday. It's at the center of the detail on the right below. I believe that the 1927 detail on the left below shows the "Old Bridge" mentioned on the menu above.

mil.library.ucsb.edu/mil.library.ucsb.edu

Last edited by Mackerm; Jun 8, 2022 at 10:04 PM.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2022, 7:45 AM

O
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
ahhhh....yes, the HOLLYWOOD sign.

above: It originally spelled out HOLLYWOODLAND for a real estate
venture around 1929

Hollywood sepia.

The men doing NONE of the work, are foolishly waving their hats.

Hollywoodland noir, late 1920s

This is me, hanging upside-down from the letter H around 1987.
This is before all the fences and infra-red cameras.

Early classic, "Hollywoodland", Noirish L.A. post #68 from 2009 that most people haven't seen. Ethereal, you were quite the risk taker in your youth. Peg Entwistle wasn't as lucky. The classic sign prank was when CalTech transformed the sign to spell "CalTech" before a Bowl Game. But even that was eclipsed by their hijacking of the Washington Huskys card squad in the Rose Bowl in 1960 (?).The Huskys card squad spelled out "CalTech" in the nationally televised half time show. Everybody except the Huskys got a kick out of that. Maybe that was the same year CalTech hijacked the Hollywood sign?

Folks, latecomers, the early years of this blog are full of gems. You also get to meet memorable early posters who are long vanished. I go through about ten pages a day. Should catch up to where I started in a year or two. This is the best blog on skyscraperpage, and the number of visits proves it, plus the 13 years of existance. May it continue. Noirish treasures forever.

Last edited by CaliNative; Jun 8, 2022 at 4:39 PM.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2022, 6:43 PM

Quote:

Folks, latecomers, the early years of this blog are full of gems. You also get to meet memorable early posters who are long vanished. I go through about ten pages a day. Should catch up to where I started in a year or two. This is the best blog on skyscraperpage, and the number of visits proves it, plus the 13 years of existance. May it continue. Noirish treasures forever.
When I joined NLA, I started reading from the beginning of the thread and caught up before I started posting, but there were only about 750 pages to get through back then! Like you, I aimed for about 10 pages a day. The quality of the early posts sucked me in, and the maintained quality level has kept me here for nearly nine years already.

Maybe I should go back and at least re-read some of my own posts. When I was looking up information on the LA Military Academy yesterday I found that I'd already downloaded the 1927 aerial of Huntington Drive, but could not remember why. Thanks to Mackerm (two posts back), I see it was for the Monterey Cafe and McDonnell's restaurant posts. I'd completely forgotten them!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos