HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction

Old Posted Sep 24, 2021, 2:26 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMKeynes View Post
I hope that Extell builds at least this tall at the 5th Ave and 46th St site.
Extell likes to build tall, so we'll see what we get on both sites. The 5th Ave site could be as tall as this or taller.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2021, 2:45 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Extell likes to build tall, so we'll see what we get on both sites. The 5th Ave site could be as tall as this or taller.
I agree. I just hope that they don't go the route of the Gem Tower on 47th. This has the potential to be an iconic blockbuster or a colossal disappointment.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2021, 3:39 PM
New Yorker for life

I'm most curious about what Barnett plans to do with the observation deck. It will have to be about more than just view, as the competition heats up.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2021, 8:51 PM

Quote:
I'm most curious about what Barnett plans to do with the observation deck. It will have to be about more than just view, as the competition heats up.
You think it may be look like to One Vanderbilt?

Old Posted Sep 25, 2021, 12:30 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky88 View Post
I have no idea.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2021, 10:01 PM
New Yorker for life

Boy, that whacky Barnett. He gave us CPT without the mast, now it looks like we’ll get a mast without much of a tower.

This is an earlier version, before the height bump, and they may fill in a little more (certainly at the street level, where they’ve consolidated the site). But I think something like this needs to be twice the height.

Just a graphic, but still….

Old Posted Oct 22, 2021, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky88 View Post
It doesn't have to look like One Vanderbilt, it just has to be more than a view unless the observation deck is 2,000 ft up +. We already have several of those in different locations, and now Vandy has raised the bar for observation decks.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2021, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Boy, that whacky Barnett. He gave us CPT without the mast, now it looks like we’ll get a mast without much of a tower.

This is an earlier version, before the height bump, and they may fill in a little more (certainly at the street level, where they’ve consolidated the site). But I think something like this needs to be twice the height.

Just a graphic, but still….

Yeaaaahhhhh, no. lol I'll have to see a render before making a final decision but it'll have to be really, really good to justify this.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2021, 10:16 PM

That could work if it's built inside out like the Lloyd's building in London. Stairs, elevators and service ducts all on the outside. A little deconstructivism.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2021, 10:22 PM
BANNED

This looks absurd.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2021, 10:29 PM
New Yorker for life

I know it’s early, but I can’t think of a scenario where that looks cool. Not on 8th Avenue, and probably not even in Times Square itself. If we’re gonna have just an observation tower sticking up, it should be at least 2,000 ft.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2021, 10:32 PM
BANNED

8th Ave is pretty disgusting, so I don’t care too much about this. I just hope that Gary doesn’t have something absurd planned for 5th and 46th.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2021, 10:35 PM

Quote:
I know it’s early, but I can’t think of a scenario where that looks cool. Not on 8th Avenue, and probably not even in Times Square itself. If we’re gonna have just an observation tower sticking up, it should be at least 2,000 ft.
If this is all it's gonna be I'd rather they just build a cool tower, like CN. But I don't know the workings of this site so I have no idea.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2021, 10:41 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC123 View Post
If this is all it's gonna be I'd rather they just build a cool tower, like CN. But I don't know the workings of this site so I have no idea.
Well, it’s primarily a large 1,350 room hotel. It’s in the theater district, and a heavily tourists trafficked area. Observation decks are hot again, especially now in the age of social media and selfies. Obviously they could get a better design, but the same could be said for CPT.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2021, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Well, it’s primarily a large 1,350 room hotel. It’s in the theater district, and a heavily tourists trafficked area. Observation decks are hot again, especially now in the age of social media and selfies. Obviously they could get a better design, but the same could be said for CPT.
Well, let's hope they at least do something original with the observation deck and have some nice materials for this. But needless to say I don't have a lot of optimism for this.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2021, 10:49 PM

I thought it would be something weird like this. Hope it's executed well. It could work out, this is Times Square after all.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2021, 2:15 AM

After throwing up in my mouth a little, I think this could be ok if its not the boxy mess in the graphic. I'm hoping that its just a study image and not indicative of the actual design. Perhaps they can follow the idea of the Sydney Tower but with a more modern design.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2021, 3:01 AM
skeena222

I think a Two-building approach would be best for this site...

This is where midtown can really push westward with a one-two punch.

I would start by basically building this tower as your typical, tried and true NYC fare, your architectural baseline/bread&butter.

I would follow that up by then coming in with that super highly-experimental, bleeding-edge tower that would knock your socks off!

Old Posted Oct 23, 2021, 3:07 AM

I wonder if this is going to cause trouble with the "void space" crowd. Though, by coincidence, they all seem to live in the UES/UWS...

Old Posted Oct 23, 2021, 3:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson11 View Post
I wonder if this is going to cause trouble with the "void space" crowd. Though, by coincidence, they all seem to live in the UES/UWS...
Since it's open air in between the two spaces I don't think they would have a standing.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction