HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Feb 10, 2018, 6:29 PM
THAT Guy

Taco Bell replacement

Includes the first (?) Planet Granite outside of the West Coast. Looks pretty nice with the new hotel.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2018, 8:08 PM

It isn't much, but figured I'd share:

Sneak Peek: See inside new Hotel Zachary next to Wrigley Field
Monday, February 05, 2018 08:35PM

Quote:
CHICAGO (WLS) -- We're getting our first look inside the brand-new hotel opening this spring next to Wrigley Field.

Hotel Zachary, located at 3630 North Clark Street, will feature 153 standard guest rooms and 20 suites, according to its developers. The seven-story hotel will also include street-level retail space for local boutiques and restaurants.

The hotel's interior design is inspired by its namesake, Wrigley Field architect Zachary Taylor Davis. Each guest room includes a framed replica of Davis' original blueprint of Wrigley Field, sketched in 1922. Even the TV stand was custom-designed to resemble one that Davis would have once used to store his blueprints.

Hotel Zachary will open to the public in April 2018, with reservations being accepted online later this month.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2018, 8:43 PM

As for the taco bell replacement I'm digging it. As much as i'll miss the "old school" wrigley neighborhood, I think this is a nice trend and change replacement for that area as long as the bar district doesn't disappear.
Whats the chance that these bars/apartments tear down and rebuild with bars and restaurants as a base with towers on top of them?

Old Posted Feb 11, 2018, 12:11 AM
My Mind Has Left My Body

The gym looks nice. Too bad they won't stack 5 stories of apartments on top but such is....

Old Posted Feb 11, 2018, 4:18 PM

Wow the gym looks great. If only the bowser of a design Addison & Clark could have borrowed a similar design for the upper floors.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2018, 10:14 PM
Development Shill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockerzzz View Post
The Addison & Clark promotional material to retailers is interesting. I didn't know only 15% of fans visiting Wrigley Field are from the City of Chicago.

I mean... I thought that would be obvious. Most Cubs fans are rich white people from the burbs or out of state. Cubs games are a mix of a retirement home and a frat party pregame.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2018, 10:32 PM
Show me the blueprints

^And some, I assume, are good people.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Feb 11, 2018, 11:31 PM

Just because the neighborhood changes doesn't necessarily mean the fanbase does. I grew up on the southside and am still a die-hard. I've lived in both neighborhoods and its pretty easy to distinguish the difference between a true fan and your frat boy bandwagon's with daddy's money who can afford to live in the high-end apartments in that area. They are redeveloping the comisky area as well. That doesn't necessarily mean bandwagon rich folk are moving into sox neighborhood just because of 2005.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2018, 11:42 PM

Cleaning up the neighborhood might be exactly what it needs to block out the rich suburb folk who give wrigley that drunk antic bad name when you turn on espn.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2018, 11:51 PM
Becoming Chicago-fied!

Personally, I'm just looking forward to the movie theater opening up, given that it's a short 10 minute walk from my current location!

And yes the design of the Taco Bell replacement development looks damn nice!

Aaron (Glowrock)

Old Posted Feb 12, 2018, 12:00 AM

I also want to give a shout out welcome to Yu. If he stays healthy our pitching is stellar. Gonna miss you jake.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2018, 2:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumdogmillionaire View Post
I mean... I thought that would be obvious. Most Cubs fans are rich white people from the burbs or out of state. Cubs games are a mix of a retirement home and a frat party pregame.
That's not true, most Cubs fans in Chicago proper are rich white people, but the fan base extends very far out into the hinterland to much less privileged folks. The entire state of Iowa, for example, is basically solid Cubs fans because the Iowa Cubs are basically the only outpost of a professional sports team in the state.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2018, 3:48 AM
Development Shill

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
That's not true, most Cubs fans in Chicago proper are rich white people, but the fan base extends very far out into the hinterland to much less privileged folks. The entire state of Iowa, for example, is basically solid Cubs fans because the Iowa Cubs are basically the only outpost of a professional sports team in the state.
I'm sorry but there may be 200,000 Iowa Cubs fans, but the Chicago Suburbs alone have probably 3 million or more. You aren't wrong that there are Cubs fans from less privileged areas, I have some of them in my family buuuuuuuut... it's a mostly rich white people team. Go to a Cubs game, white people. Go to a Sox game and it's a diverse crowd. It's just the way the two teams are, and it's not necessarily a good thing or a bad thing, it just is a thing. I don't think I've met a African American Cubs fan in my life

Edit: again I'm making this statement not to be a sourpuss, but because of the one person's surprise that most Cubs fans visiting Wrigly aren't from the City proper, a city that is a extremely diverse, as opposed to the suburbs/

Old Posted Feb 12, 2018, 4:11 AM
Becoming Chicago-fied!

Quote:
I'm sorry but there may be 200,000 Iowa Cubs fans, but the Chicago Suburbs alone have probably 3 million or more. You aren't wrong that there are Cubs fans from less privileged areas, I have some of them in my family buuuuuuuut... it's a mostly rich white people team. Go to a Cubs game, white people. Go to a Sox game and it's a diverse crowd. It's just the way the two teams are, and it's not necessarily a good thing or a bad thing, it just is a thing. I don't think I've met a African American Cubs fan in my life

Edit: again I'm making this statement not to be a sourpuss, but because of the one person's surprise that most Cubs fans visiting Wrigly aren't from the City proper, a city that is a extremely diverse, as opposed to the suburbs/
Oddly enough, I just met one this morning in Kenosha, Wisconsin at Frank's Diner where I was having breakfast along with a fellow Chicago SSPer most of you are familiar with!

Aaron (Glowrock)

Old Posted Feb 12, 2018, 3:13 PM

Quote:

Lol, Iowa has over 3 million residents dude, wayyyyy more than 200k of them are Cubs fans. And that's not even considering the underlying appeal the Cubs have to all sorts of people around the country who aren't too hot on their local ballclub... Also, my next door neighbor is African American, grew up on the NW side and is a diehard Cubs fan. If you ever buy Co-Op Hot Sauce you've probably met him. Maybe your observations about the race of Cubs fans have more to do with your sampling methods (i.e. the people you hang out with) than reality?

Old Posted Feb 12, 2018, 6:26 PM
Development Shill

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
Lol, Iowa has over 3 million residents dude, wayyyyy more than 200k of them are Cubs fans. And that's not even considering the underlying appeal the Cubs have to all sorts of people around the country who aren't too hot on their local ballclub... Also, my next door neighbor is African American, grew up on the NW side and is a diehard Cubs fan. If you ever buy Co-Op Hot Sauce you've probably met him. Maybe your observations about the race of Cubs fans have more to do with your sampling methods (i.e. the people you hang out with) than reality?
You are severely overestimating the popularity of baseball. Obviously you are somewhat correct that my sampling and anecdotal evidence isn't perfect, but it would be remiss of us to ignore the obvious differences in the two team's fanbases.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2018, 7:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWillChicago View Post
I also want to give a shout out welcome to Yu. If he stays healthy our pitching is stellar. Gonna miss you jake.
Yes! I just heard the news about him. He can be so successful. He will be great. He's looking forward to it. He can play for Cubbies. Go Cubbies! Go!

Old Posted Feb 12, 2018, 8:19 PM

Quote:
You are severely overestimating the popularity of baseball. Obviously you are somewhat correct that my sampling and anecdotal evidence isn't perfect, but it would be remiss of us to ignore the obvious differences in the two team's fanbases.
Here's a map of baseball loyalties, broken down by zip code and county.
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...-baseball.html

Old Posted Feb 12, 2018, 8:51 PM

I was born in Iowa, grew up in the Quad Cities. I grew up a Cubs fan because we got WGN and WGN played Cubs games. That's why I grew up watching Sandberg, Dawson and Maddox and not (I won't even pretend I can name any Sox 80's players besides Ozzie Guillen). I think I was 12 before I even knew the White Sox existed because the Cubs and Sox never played each other back then, I only watched Cubs games and didn't care about the AL.

I'm not the only Iowa white boy who was only exposed to the Cubs and not the White Sox. That's due to the reach of WGN more than anything else.

Last edited by aaron38; Feb 12, 2018 at 9:07 PM.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2018, 10:33 PM

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development