HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Mar 30, 2023, 11:38 PM

This all looks pretty but not sure I can get behind anything that adds more lanes of traffic unless they're dedicated BRT lanes. We'd be *cementing* LSD as a highway when it needs to become more of a boulevard à la the Embarcadero in SF.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2023, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toasty Joe View Post
This all looks pretty but not sure I can get behind anything that adds more lanes of traffic unless they're dedicated BRT lanes. We'd be *cementing* LSD as a highway when it needs to become more of a boulevard à la the Embarcadero in SF.
It doesn't add any lanes - 4 in each direction.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2023, 2:00 AM

ah I thought I counted a few more in the render that shows the St. Regis

Old Posted Mar 31, 2023, 3:14 AM

214 W Erie St

Pic is from a few weeks back. "Asador Bastian" Steakhouse opening up in the Flair House on Erie.

original_091f4a03-4114-401a-9156-c5122b3685c1_20230308_125031 by ajdrewster, on Flickr

Old Posted Mar 31, 2023, 2:02 PM

^

I thought the flair house was landmarkered but I can't seem to locate any information on that and by the looks of the renovation there is no way it could be.... given the level of modifications.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2023, 2:45 PM

Solid article on C YIMBY from Jack Crawford on West Loop Development. Very thorough

https://chicagoyimby.com/2023/03/a-f...ment-boom.html

Old Posted Mar 31, 2023, 5:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gebs View Post
New renderings for the reimagining of Dusable Lake Shore Drive's S-curve at Oak Street Beach:

Source: Crain's
Still trying to understand how far along this process is. Seems like there’s 3 phases, and they are at or finishing phase 1. Is that everyone else’s take too? Not sure how much this all would cost, and if they would get federal funding to realize this redevelopment. But trying to get a sense of when this would realistically be completed. I’m guessing if all goes well, 10 years?

Given how important this segment of the lakefront is to the city, both for residents and visitors, I think this has good good likelihood of happening in some form.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2023, 5:51 PM
BANNED

https://www.cbsnews.com/chicago/vide...-on-west-side/

63-unit affordable housing building to be built on empty lot on West Side
It will be built on vacant city land next to the Kedzie Avenue Green Line station in East Garfield Park.

https://chicago.urbanize.city/post/h...field-park-rfq

Hub32 wins East Garfield Park RFQ

The $47 million building will include 63 apartments

Old Posted Mar 31, 2023, 5:57 PM
BANNED

https://blockclubchicago.org/2023/03...mercial-space/

UPTOWN, EDGEWATER, ROGERS PARK

Uptown Retail Building To Be Replaced With 77 Apartments, Ground-Floor Commercial Space

The latest retail building to be redeveloped in Uptown will have 77 apartments, 40 parking spaces and ground-floor commercial space.

A retail building (left) at 5035 N. Sheridan Road is being turned into 77 apartments

The retail building at 5035-5045 N. Sheridan Road will be torn down in favor of an 8-story complex

The development is allowed under the property’s current zoning, meaning it does not need city approval to be built. And because it doesn’t need to be rezoned, the building does not have to include affordable units. No such units are planned, said Dan Luna, Osterman’s chief of staff.

The Sheridan Road project is at least the third Uptown retail building to be targeted for residential redevelopment.

An existing building near the Wilson Red Line stop could get a three-story, 24-apartment addition under a proposal in front of Ald. James Cappleman (46th). On Wilson Avenue, a developer is working to replace the Happy Wash building with 28 apartments.

A Clark Street bank is also being replaced with 36 apartments across the street from Carol’s Pub, one of a few commercial buildings on Clark Street being redeveloped.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2023, 7:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgolch View Post
Still trying to understand how far along this process is. Seems like there’s 3 phases, and they are at or finishing phase 1. Is that everyone else’s take too? Not sure how much this all would cost, and if they would get federal funding to realize this redevelopment. But trying to get a sense of when this would realistically be completed. I’m guessing if all goes well, 10 years?

Given how important this segment of the lakefront is to the city, both for residents and visitors, I think this has good good likelihood of happening in some form.
I love these plans and renderings, almost without exception. The changes are very practical and would improve experience in totality (whether driving, beach, park, trails). Reviewing them, it's like, "huh, yeah... lfg"; they're common sense but at the same time, aspirational. Just a huge improvement on what is already the best urban shoreline parks in the U.S. I can't access the article as it's paywalled (Crains's) but how would this be funded? Park District, Dept. of Trans (Fed and State), Infrastructure Bill?

Old Posted Mar 31, 2023, 7:42 PM

The article says nothing about funding. The only bit of tangible news is "A public meeting is expected for sometime this fall."

Old Posted Mar 31, 2023, 8:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gebs View Post
The article says nothing about funding. The only bit of tangible news is "A public meeting is expected for sometime this fall."
I don’t have the link handy ATM, but on the city website relating to this project, I think it implied that they got federal funding for the study and phase I part of this process for the 2016-2021 timeline (from the department of transportation). And my takeaway is that they’d have to secure additional federal funds for the next budget timeline to get the dollars to actually start the building of it. It didn’t say that explicitly; but that was what I gathered by reading between the lines.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2023, 8:50 PM

Quote:
I don’t have the link handy ATM, but on the city website relating to this project, I think it implied that they got federal funding for the study and phase I part of this process for the 2016-2021 timeline (from the department of transportation). And my takeaway is that they’d have to secure additional federal funds for the next budget timeline to get the dollars to actually start the building of it. It didn’t say that explicitly; but that was what I gathered by reading between the lines.
Yea, this definitely needs significant federal funding. No way the city or park district can afford to pay for more than a small % of this. The good (actually bad, but in this case kinda good?) thing is that it's predominately just a highway rebuild... which our esteemed elected officials from both sides of the aisle agree we should spend unlimited amounts of money on. The added park space doubles as flood mitigation to protect the highway... so even that could be considered highway funding.

But before they can even apply for the big grants they need to have a plan in place.. which is what IDOT/CDOT appear to be doing with this. Not sure why it took 7 years to get to this point though...

Old Posted Mar 31, 2023, 10:40 PM

With having Obama, Hillary, Durbin and before that Dennis Hastert there is no reason Illinois should not have these projects drawn up already and ready to go. We have left a ton out there. Durbin has probably been the best at steering things here.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2023, 3:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetline View Post
Late last year, The Neighborhood Hotel bought the landmarked former Mid-City Trust & Savings Bank building at 801 W Madison for $15M, with plans for a $20M renovation to convert it to a 80 suite apartment-style hotel.

I noticed a paper sign advertising that hotel and it's restaurant in one of the windows and the beginnings of work being done on the building earlier this year. But recently, that sign has been removed and I'm not seeing any reference to the project on their website.

I really hope that doesn't mean the hotel conversion has fallen through. That seemed like an great way to reactivate a stately landmarked building at a prominent corner.
There is a new Neighborhood Hotel sign in the window, so I am reassured the old bank at 801 W Madison is still being renovated.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2023, 5:06 PM

Quote:

There is a big miss in this plan, many actually…
They need to do a better job connecting Michigan avenue to the Lake.
East Lake Shore Drive needs to be eliminated or be out underground , and so does the entirety of the S curve. This way, one can walk from Michigan avenue to the water without having to cross a single street. It will be as if the lakefront extends into Michigan Ave. in fact Michigan Avenue should terminate at LSD and go under leaving the surface as a park that can be seen while on Michigan Ave. I need to draw this but without making such a connection this plan fails to make the make more accessible.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2023, 7:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emailspyro@gmail.com View Post
There is a big miss in this plan, many actually…
They need to do a better job connecting Michigan avenue to the Lake.
East Lake Shore Drive needs to be eliminated or be out underground , and so does the entirety of the S curve. This way, one can walk from Michigan avenue to the water without having to cross a single street. It will be as if the lakefront extends into Michigan Ave. in fact Michigan Avenue should terminate at LSD and go under leaving the surface as a park that can be seen while on Michigan Ave. I need to draw this but without making such a connection this plan fails to make the make more accessible.
Yes. I’ve had this exact idea.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2023, 1:22 PM

Here is a great breakdown of why and how America has too much parking:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/parking...hare_permalink

tell all your NIMBY friends! LOL

Old Posted Apr 3, 2023, 4:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by west-town-brad View Post
Here is a great breakdown of why and how America has too much parking:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/parking...hare_permalink

tell all your NIMBY friends! LOL
Great article. Wish they added a section on increased revenues for businesses to dispute the (unfounded) claim that reduced parking is hurting business. Maybe if you're a gas station or an auto shop, but come on... as we've seen for thousands of years more density supports more businesses. Reading the comments, it's depressing how many old suburbanites are brainwashed into thinking they, who decided to live outside of a city, expect quick and easy access into the city at the expense of existing & potential renters & owners. "We used to visit Seattle once a month but now it's more like once every 3 months because we can't find a place to park for free!" Believe it or not, cities don't need to cater to your handful of trips a year.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2023, 3:27 PM

1721 S. Michigan

https://www.instagram.com/p/CqkrN1TOk-B/?img_index=1

I haven't seen any renderings/plans for this yet, though a couple comments say 13 floors / 149 units.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development