HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted Dec 22, 2014, 8:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cro Burnham View Post
http://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phill...16th-fairmount

This great old building has been a blighted mess since at least the late 70s. One of the few with a curved corner in the city. Thank you MM Partners. You put your money where your mouth is. More than can be said for the Divine Lorraine people a couple blocks away.
It's always fantastic to have the original beauty of buildings like this restored. New construction is fun and exciting, of course, but it's the beauty and character of these old buildings and neighborhoods that really make Philly a unique and special place to live and visit.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2014, 9:13 PM

I totally agree. This building is solid too. Barring disaster, it should be with us with one use or another for a very ling time.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2014, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cro Burnham View Post
http://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phill...16th-fairmount

This great old building has been a blighted mess since at least the late 70s. One of the few with a curved corner in the city. Thank you MM Partners. You put your money where your mouth is. More than can be said for the Divine Lorraine people a couple blocks away.
Looks wonderful. You guys want to take bets if they actually replace ALL the windows with the arched component showcased in the renderings? Huge kudos if MM pulls through and executes at that level.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2014, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonee View Post
Looks wonderful. You guys want to take bets if they actually replace ALL the windows with the arched component showcased in the renderings? Huge kudos if MM pulls through and executes at that level.
I'll take that bet.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2014, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly Fan View Post
I'll take that bet.
Unless you work for MM, which would be like insider trading--You owe me a burger and a beer (let's call it $25) if there's even ONE window that doesn't feature the semi-circle accent.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2014, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonee View Post
Unless you work for MM, which would be like insider trading--You owe me a burger and a beer (let's call it $25) if there's even ONE window that doesn't feature the semi-circle accent.
Nope, don't work for MM (or know anyone who does). But are you sure you want to bet against the windows portrayed in the rendering? Before answering, you might want to take another look at the Naked Philly article:

Quote:
As this property falls within the Spring Garden Historic District and clearly contributes given its unusual look, the developers are bound by Federal historic guidelines. We're most pleased to see that the original window sizes and shapes will be making a comeback.
I assume that means that they intend to qualify for a federal Historic Rehabilitation Tax Credit, which pretty much ensures that they HAVE to use the appropriate windows:

http://www.nps.gov/tps/standards/rehabilitation.htm

But I'd still be up for a burger and beer, although for 25 bucks, they'd better be a damn good burger and beer.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2014, 2:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1487 View Post
I saw that. That building has a lot of vacancy now which is surprising considering its prime location.
Used to work in 1635. For such a prime location, it was a dump.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2014, 2:45 PM

15/Walnut

by Music_Man84, on Flickr

1900 Arch:

Old Posted Dec 29, 2014, 11:52 AM

I had some concerns about the 15/Walnut glass building. I still would have preferred a more translucent and less reflective glass, but it is actually coming together pretty well. I like looking at it from down past Locust. The glass going up on this building picks up the glass of the Ritz Residences well. Soon to complement the glass of the W hotel!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicMan84 View Post
15/Walnut

Old Posted Dec 29, 2014, 9:43 PM

Quote:
Roman Catholic High plans expansion: Updates
Joseph N. DiStefano

As part of a significant expansion plan, a group of business people and professionals have helped Roman Catholic High School acquire 1216-32 Wood St. and 321 N. 13th St., a block and a half east of the landmark castle-like boys' school on North Broad St. between Wood and Vine Sts., for $2.065 million. The deal includes a 24,500-sf two-story building previously used as office and warehouse space, and an enclosed parking lot previously used to store U-Haul rental vehicles.

"Roman has purchased the property for expansion of its high school fine arts program, and for additional parking," Michael Barmash, senior vice president at Colliers International, who closed the deal with his colleague Andrew McGhee, told me. There's also plans for classrooms and a new fieldhouse at the existing Broad and Wood campus.
Full article at http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/i...expansion.html

Old Posted Dec 30, 2014, 1:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josef View Post
WOW! With the 13th and callowhill project hopefully starting soon enough (although maybe not without the provence), this little bit of the neighborhood would be completely filled in!

Also, I saw the foundations and sticks going up on approximately 10 townhomes it appears at 11th and pearl. Kinda a very VERY weird alley to have townhomes front right here. Anyone know anything?

Old Posted Dec 30, 2014, 1:18 PM
BANNED

it seems like 2116 chestnut may have a tenant. There is a ZBA hearing scheduled pertaining to restaurant signage at that building. That blank space doesnt look good at all, especially in a new apt tower. I also saw that there are upcoming hearings for a 42 unit building near 16th and poplar as well as a 30+ unit building in the 1800 block of callowhill where an existing structure stands. There are many other multi home developments coming in Northern Liberties, Fishtown and South philly as well.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2014, 1:51 PM

The Reading Viaduct is getting close. It should make a real impact in that neighborhood, especially with the other proposals and projects going on.

http://philly.curbed.com/archives/20...ight-along.php

Old Posted Dec 31, 2014, 4:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourS View Post
The Reading Viaduct is getting close. It should make a real impact in that neighborhood, especially with the other proposals and projects going on.

http://philly.curbed.com/archives/20...ight-along.php
So, so great. Every time I pass under it, I imagine how great it'll be when it gets going.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2014, 5:37 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by josef View Post
So, so great. Every time I pass under it, I imagine how great it'll be when it gets going.
it sounds like the CCD still needs a good chunk of funding to move forward based on that link. I wonder if the City is going to commit any funds as with Dilworth Park.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2014, 9:09 PM

The city didn't put that much into Dilworth, and it's right next to City Hall, so I wouldn't hold my breath. There was a lot of Federal and State money, as well as a significant addition from SEPTA. A big chunk of it was a U.S. Dept. of Transportation Tiger Grant, $15 million if I remember correctly.

The viaduct is a much, much less expensive project though, like 1/7 the cost. Success breeds further success, so since Dilworth has been well received it hopefully means people/agencies will dig a little deeper for this or other future projects.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2015, 1:44 AM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

Quote:
The city didn't put that much into Dilworth, and it's right next to City Hall, so I wouldn't hold my breath. There was a lot of Federal and State money, as well as a significant addition from SEPTA. A big chunk of it was a U.S. Dept. of Transportation Tiger Grant, $15 million if I remember correctly.

The viaduct is a much, much less expensive project though, like 1/7 the cost. Success breeds further success, so since Dilworth has been well received it hopefully means people/agencies will dig a little deeper for this or other future projects.
Um the Viaduct needs environmental remediation. The roadbed is contaminated with PCBs, so I don't see how it can possibly be cheaper than Dilworth...

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted Jan 2, 2015, 1:21 PM
BANNED

Quote:

The link says the first (small) phase is over $8M. Doing the entire stretch is going to be a lot more than that. CCD borrowed some money to help make Dilworth come to frution- they may have to that in this case as well.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2015, 12:34 AM

Quote:

The rail park is seeking assistance from Philadelphia residents to help it become a reality:

http://us2.campaign-archive2.com/?u=...7&e=8459153689

I will be donating. I hope everyone here will consider giving something.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2015, 2:56 AM

You're right about 1/7 being off base, Hammersklavier. That's just the first phase. One projection I recently saw was just shy of $37 million for all 7.2 acres, including remediation. Still considerably less than Dilworth, but a lot more than 1/7 (more like 2/3). That $37 million is obviously a very ballpark estimate, so who knows once you really get into a project like this. That's part of the reason why phases make sense I guess.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development