HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jun 6, 2023, 4:48 PM

^Again. . . just my perception, but much of that FOODSTAMPLANDIA still feels like creamy yellow working class Chicago. . .

I mean. . . if that were really as bad as it looked on paper, wouldn't those neighborhoods look more bombed out and empty than they actually are?

Please don't shoot me for having an opinion on what I see on the streets vs. what the data says. . . but it feels like a disconnect to some extent. . . I dunno. . .

. . .

Old Posted Jun 6, 2023, 5:30 PM
devout Pizzatarian

^ yeah, I get all that, and you're not wrong, a lot of it is still pretty stable work-a-day working class Chicago.

I'm just bitching about the stark geographic divergence of incomes now compared to the olden days.

I guess I prefer a more dromedary distribution compared to our increasingly bactrian one.

But as I said before, I'm just an old man yelling at clouds. And a lot of this isn't really a "Chicago" issue as much as it a situation stemming from larger macro-level economic trends.

If anything, this thread aptly demonstrates that cities are always in a state of flux, usually for both better and worse, simultaneously.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2023, 6:19 PM

Regarding the Chicago map, I need to note that it divided up the income spectrum in a pretty weird way.

Typically, income quintiles are based 20% of households. Therefore, the bottom 20% are the poorest 20%, the middle 20% are the middle 20%, etc.

However, the categories shown here don't track. The "middle class" is defined as being those within 20% of the (national?) average.

The problem with the amount of people within this group won't necessarily be 20%, and likely shrunk over time. Over the last few decades, the top quintile (as defined by normal standards) has really pulled away in terms of income:

Note that although there's a lot of focus on the upper class typically - the 1%, the increase is not limited to this group. Everyone upper-middle class has done well, more recently.

What does this mean? In absolute numbers, there are probably way more people making more than 40% more than the median household nationwide. So as much as the Chicago maps capture a real trend, it's likely overstated a bit, just because there's more top-end wealth in general.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2023, 8:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Regarding the Chicago map, I need to note that it divided up the income spectrum in a pretty weird way.

However, the categories shown here don't track. The "middle class" is defined as being those within 20% of the (national?) average.
It’s weighted relative to the Chicago MSA median income, so it’s measuring the distribution of the poor, wealthy and middle-class within the Chicago metro as it changes over time.

So in 1970 most of the poor and the wealthy lived outside the city. And that switched over the decades.

Yes relative wealth did change, but the Chicago MSA is decently close to the national average so many neighborhoods had a real decline in wealth adjusted for inflation.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions