HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Sep 27, 2022, 8:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
we have had votes in the past and its been a strong no
Yes, it was a strong no from people that really have no interest in downtown, other than to pass through it as quick as possible. Ridiculous that it ever took place.

Not overly democratic but perhaps a vote on a matter such as this should be limited to a certain geographic extent? Let the people of the ward vote on it and decide its fate.

I'm sorry, but who gives a shit if Joe in Sage Creek wants it to stay closed?

Old Posted Sep 27, 2022, 8:30 PM

My bet is on it opening by default. The barriers will come down for the repairs, the world won't end, and with a shrug it will become the new status quo. No referendum or polarizing political promise required.

Even Klein is saying it's may not be worth the bother to put the barriers back up once removed.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2022, 9:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
^ i agree...he is definitely trying to play it safe, but he should have crafted an answer that doesn't piss off progressive voters while also not rocking the boat with the others that he needs to win the election.
Agreed. If he is in favour, stating that we shouldn't second guess the referendum results isn't a good strategy. It just lends credence to the results and the approach.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2022, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post

SIDE NOTE - how does Winnipeg not have its own forum? You seem almost as active as Ottawa and Vancouver.
Honestly I don’t mind not having our own forum it feeds our inferiority complex quite well

Really though I like it because it just feels right too pop into the Manitoba and Saskatchewan thread and see what’s going on in Regina, Saskatoon, or the rest of the two provinces without having to deal with the brutal interfaces that the separate city forums have especially on mobile.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2022, 1:03 AM

Vehemently against not having the fine folks from Saskatchewan around. $0.02.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2022, 1:07 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestEndWander View Post
Yes, it was a strong no from people that really have no interest in downtown, other than to pass through it as quick as possible. Ridiculous that it ever took place.

Not overly democratic but perhaps a vote on a matter such as this should be limited to a certain geographic extent? Let the people of the ward vote on it and decide its fate.

Right?

Bowman copped out big time when he caved to put the Portage and Main issue as part of a plebiscite in the previous election, thanks to Browaty.

I've had choice words to those guys back then, and still have choice words now.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2022, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalf View Post
My bet is on it opening by default. The barriers will come down for the repairs, the world won't end, and with a shrug it will become the new status quo. No referendum or polarizing political promise required.
Yeah I can see this happening, though I think this could mean the tear-down takes longer than many of us would like to see. I'm okay with not being able to say "my side won" if it means they're gone.

"Naysayers are always predicting the present"-Anon.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength"-Eric Hoffer

Old Posted Sep 28, 2022, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jabroni View Post
Right?

Bowman copped out big time when he caved to put the Portage and Main issue as part of a plebiscite in the previous election, thanks to Browaty.

I'm definitely not voting for the Bowman statue because of this.

"Naysayers are always predicting the present"-Anon.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength"-Eric Hoffer

Old Posted Sep 28, 2022, 2:43 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Right?

Wow, some still clinging to the fable that somehow removing barriers at P&M is the panacea to cure all of downtown Winnipegs ills!

Old Posted Sep 28, 2022, 2:52 PM

Portage Place is far more important priority than Portage and main right now.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2022, 2:56 PM
the first stamp is free

^ why not both?

Old Posted Sep 28, 2022, 3:27 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

p&m is more then about the bariers the roof membrain needs to be fixed on the underground walkway requiring it all to be dug up

Old Posted Sep 28, 2022, 3:28 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestEndWander View Post

yes and the land holders who foot the tax bill at that corner as well

Old Posted Sep 28, 2022, 3:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
^ why not both?
City has 51 million deficit this year it can only do so much

Old Posted Sep 28, 2022, 4:05 PM

Quote:
Bowman ran his first mayoral campaign with opening Portage and Main as a key promise. When he got into office though he realized there was no way through council with a favorable vote on opening Portage and Main. The plebiscite was an attempt to save face and get another term as mayor. That vote was lost before council even completed voting to hold the plebiscite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Wow, some still clinging to the fable that somehow removing barriers at P&M is the panacea to cure all of downtown Winnipegs ills!
Agreed 100%. Removing the barriers at Portage and Main won't do anything for the issues in downtown Winnipeg and could actually make some new ones. There are essentially two buildings somewhat isolated from downtown. If you look at the average distance pedestrians are willing to travel that is near zero benefit to needlessly changing Portage and Main to allow pedestrian crossing.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2022, 4:28 PM
There is always a way

I don't see what sort of new problems opening one god damned intersection to pedestrians will create other than slowing some traffic. Maybe if the people traversing downtown had to spend an extra 5 minutes doing so they might stop in and support the businesses there, seems like a win for downtown to me
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Sep 28, 2022, 4:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
Agreed 100%. Removing the barriers at Portage and Main won't do anything for the issues in downtown Winnipeg and could actually make some new ones. There are essentially two buildings somewhat isolated from downtown. If you look at the average distance pedestrians are willing to travel that is near zero benefit to needlessly changing Portage and Main to allow pedestrian crossing.
You can't seriously believe this... pedestrians can cross anywhere else in the city and you think opening up this intersection will have some catastrophic impact?

Old Posted Sep 28, 2022, 6:21 PM

Jenny is toast. I assume she's trying to keep her name out there for future opportunities. Maybe the PPC gets her to run. She did make an appearance for the local right wing wrestling promotion so that might have garnered a few extra votes. lol

Murray returning sure changed the trajectory for a couple of them, didnt it? I would bet he gets rid of P&M barricades some how. He's always got an eye on legacy and that will be one we'd talk about for many years.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2022, 6:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
If you look at the average distance pedestrians are willing to travel that is near zero benefit to needlessly changing Portage and Main to allow pedestrian crossing.
Except for the fact that people who actually live and walk in Downtown voted overwhelmingly in favour of opening it up.

Pedestrians are not robots programmed to travel certain distances. There are accessibility, weather issues, and pure convenience pedestrians love to use that is missing from your analysis. Having to walk an extra 200 or metres just to cross a street is not convenient in the slightest.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2022, 7:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Unknown Poster View Post
Jenny is toast. I assume she's trying to keep her name out there for future opportunities. Maybe the PPC gets her to run. She did make an appearance for the local right wing wrestling promotion so that might have garnered a few extra votes. lol
Wait, there's a local right wing wrestling promotion? This implies the existence of a local left wing wrestling promotion too...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan