HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Sep 19, 2022, 1:40 PM

So this is actually in the Pine Ridge Hollow property? It's kind of an awkward location for something like this. But I guess if there's nothing else, this works. Will have to check it out next time I'm out that way.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2022, 2:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I was kidding about the dollar store thing

Any thoughts on the new market out at Pine Ridge Hollow near Birds Hill Park?

I have mixed feelings... It's kind of interesting and cute, but at the same time it seems like the kind of collection of stores that would be located in streetfront locations if we had normal, functional high streets. Instead they're shunted off to this place.
A destination you drive to to pretend you live somewhere with walkable high streets

Old Posted Sep 19, 2022, 2:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borkborkbork View Post
A destination you drive to to pretend you live somewhere with walkable high streets
Pretty much.

I will give them credit, when I heard about the idea I assumed it would be done in the most half-assed possible way. But it looks pretty good from what I've seen.

I would think this will be very appealing for people who live in that general area, basically from about Selkirk on down to maybe North Kildonan. But will that be enough of a population base to make it work?

Old Posted Sep 19, 2022, 3:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccordTR View Post
Just got a haircut at Aura in polo park. The barber told me they have to move ASAP, like they want them gone tomorrow. Apparently some big US retailer is talking the rest of Sears and the Aura spot.
that spot would be perfect for LL Bean.. that's what my money's on with their recent canadian expansion. the outbuildings in the parking lot that used to be Pier 1 and EQ3 are being retrofitted as well and not torn down as i had previously thought. wonder what's going on there..

Old Posted Sep 19, 2022, 5:24 PM

Also I Was at Polo Park Yesterday Remember Used Be Banana Republic Now JD Sports is Taking Over Entire Space Next To Sephora and RW & CO

Old Posted Sep 19, 2022, 5:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyeyed View Post
108 Osborne St is for sale, Anytime Fitness has closed in it
Feels like downtown business prospects have gotten worse since the covid-19 restrictions ended i am not sure of another city whos downtown has taken this bad a beating the past 3 years. There is so little disposable income left downtown that all it can support is government offices and dollar stores. The business people who do work downtown obviously just flee to the suburbs once quitting time strikes the clock.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2022, 5:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
Feels like downtown business prospects have gotten worse since the covid-19 restrictions ended i am not sure of another city whos downtown has taken this bad a beating the past 3 years. There is so little disposable income left downtown that all it can support is government offices and dollar stores. The business people who do work downtown obviously just flee to the suburbs once quitting time strikes the clock.
I feel like people here always compare downtown Winnipeg to Vancouver, Toronto, and Montreal - cities which have triple or more the population of Winnipeg. Why don't we all take a trip to downtown Ottawa, Mississauga, Quebec, Albuquerque, Knoxville, El Paso, Columbia, Dayton, Baton Rouge, or Boise and compare how those downtowns are doing relative to Winnipegs?

I get that downtown isn't in the same place as it was pre-COVID, and Winnipeg's downtown has struggled with poverty and homelessness. But I get the sense that people's expectations for downtown Winnipeg are closer to what they'd see in cities triple our size. I'm not saying improvements can't be made, they absolutely can. But let's be realistic and compare apples to apples. Almost North American cities, especially mid-sized ones, have their downtown struggling. Winnipeg isn't some statistical outlier in North America.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2022, 6:46 PM

In downtown Ottawa, and the inner city area (Bank and Somerset) there’s a fair bit of visible homelessness and people struggling. I’d say on par ish with Winnipeg. But there is a lot more foot traffic from residents with disposable incomes. Similar to Winnipeg, at night on Somerset sometimes you’ll be approaching someone who is having issues and unlike Toronto there’s not really anyone around and it feels a bit sketchy. But the retail and businesses along the streets seem to be doing fairly well. Not too many vacancies.

I’d love to see some population data for downtown Winnipeg and the inner city neighbourhoods like West Broadway and Osborne. It’s easy to feel very bleak with how things are and feel now but I wonder if it’s reflected in the numbers. Has the population gone up or down and have the avg incomes risen or fallen.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2022, 9:46 PM

Took a ride on the bike past the Beer Can, down Assiniboine Ave. and through the Forks and it was an absolute treat last evening as it was all buzzing and pleasantly busy with families and tons of newcomers and tourists posing by the WINNIPEG sign. It gave me hope!

Old Posted Sep 19, 2022, 9:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnipegger View Post
I feel like people here always compare downtown Winnipeg to Vancouver, Toronto, and Montreal - cities which have triple or more the population of Winnipeg. Why don't we all take a trip to downtown Ottawa, Mississauga, Quebec, Albuquerque, Knoxville, El Paso, Columbia, Dayton, Baton Rouge, or Boise and compare how those downtowns are doing relative to Winnipegs?

I get that downtown isn't in the same place as it was pre-COVID, and Winnipeg's downtown has struggled with poverty and homelessness. But I get the sense that people's expectations for downtown Winnipeg are closer to what they'd see in cities triple our size. I'm not saying improvements can't be made, they absolutely can. But let's be realistic and compare apples to apples. Almost North American cities, especially mid-sized ones, have their downtown struggling. Winnipeg isn't some statistical outlier in North America.
I have been comparing to regina saskatoon and fargo similar demographics and region i can branch out to des Moines and Omaha and Hamilton all similar sized and see how they are doing

Old Posted Sep 19, 2022, 9:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnipegger View Post
I agree that our expectations are high and that we tend to compare ourselves to the larger Calgary, Minneapolis, Ottawa type places. Possibly because at one point our downtown delivered something that was roughly on par with those downtowns.

But if you shrink the cities you are comparing downtown Winnipeg to, the picture doesn't get any more flattering. I mean, I've been to Regina, Saskatoon, Halifax and Victoria this year and all four have downtowns that, even in their pandemic state, whoop downtown Winnipeg in most categories other than maybe office space square footage. The urban experience is arguably better in any of those four places, at least in terms of being able to walk down pleasant, clean, orderly streets, with shops, businesses and people throughout.

So whose downtown is Winnipeg still markedly better than? At this point I think you're getting down to places like Thunder Bay, Moncton, Nanaimo, Grand Forks...

Old Posted Sep 19, 2022, 10:13 PM

Kansas City has a pretty sad downtown with whole art deco office towers and opulent pre-war hotels sitting empty. The out-of-control violent crime trends in downtown Minneapolis could knock it down a few levels soon as well.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2022, 1:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
OV is "downtown"?

Old Posted Sep 20, 2022, 3:05 AM

Walked P&M to UofW and back today on my lunch break. Does downtown Wpg Biz not have those sidewalk cleaning vacuums anymore. Cig buts and sand in lots places. And another empty storefront near Hakim Optical, I think it was a shoe store. So fucking depressing I'll be honest. Love The Forks and Exchange, hope they don't start looking like this

Old Posted Sep 20, 2022, 3:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
Walked P&M to UofW and back today on my lunch break. Does downtown Wpg Biz not have those sidewalk cleaning vacuums anymore. Cig buts and sand in lots places. And another empty storefront near Hakim Optical, I think it was a shoe store. So fucking depressing I'll be honest. Love The Forks and Exchange, hope they don't start looking like this
Just wait. The ACTUAL recession isn’t even here yet. 2023 is gonna be bleak.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2022, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
There are two madvacs sitting unused in storage in the basement parking area of City Place. I'm guessing they are part of the downtown Biz cleaning fleet as they are parked next to the clean team trucks.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2022, 1:50 PM

The BIZ used to do a pretty decent job of keeping Portage, Graham, etc. neat and tidy, with flowers watered.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2022, 7:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I was kidding about the dollar store thing

Any thoughts on the new market out at Pine Ridge Hollow near Birds Hill Park?

I have mixed feelings... It's kind of interesting and cute, but at the same time it seems like the kind of collection of stores that would be located in streetfront locations if we had normal, functional high streets. Instead they're shunted off to this place.

I actually think it's a great project. It's not something that you would plop down in the middle of downtown Winnipeg and that's not what they are going for. It's offering locally-made stuff and food products from farms in the area. It's a nice layout and much better than the average mall experience. It has some vision.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2022, 4:25 PM

Signs are up for CNTRBND* in 223 Carlton. It says opening this winter. Looks like it is their first location outside Toronto, Vancouver, and Montreal.

* Apparently, a streetwear clothing retailer. I was not cool enough to know this without looking it up.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2022, 5:22 PM

Wow that’s great! I’d never heard of them but they carry some great brands. I’ve always complained about how terrible the menswear retail options are in Winnipeg, but this certainly improves things.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan