HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Sep 14, 2022, 4:11 PM
BANNED

I could see the CEBL adding a couple more teams in BC, Victoria and Kelowna most likely.
With Calgary next season, and probably Winnipeg and maybe a place like Regina in the future.

I don't know what the likelihood of that other eastern basketball league splitting off teams to CEBL.
Apparently that eastern league only has a few Ontario teams left and they ended up having to play interleague games at high school gymnasiums with TBL basketball teams this last season.

Just looking at the CEBL roster of teams, interesting that all the teams except for one have animal emblems.
The NBA probably has only a quarter of their teams with names of regional fauna like CEBL does.
Canada is more animalistic?

Old Posted Sep 14, 2022, 5:39 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustForTheHalibut View Post
Just looking at the CEBL roster of teams, interesting that all the teams except for one have animal emblems.
The NBA probably has only a quarter of their teams with names of regional fauna like CEBL does.
Canada is more animalistic?
All of the logos/brands were single-sourced in-house by CEBL HQ. They're all created by the same people, save for the Growlers.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2022, 5:43 PM

Newfoundlands are like the friendliest dog breed in the world I doubt it would even growl

Old Posted Sep 15, 2022, 4:23 PM
BANNED

^
The other teams like Honey Badgers or Sask Rattlers have easy pickings for selecting local dangerous animals for team names.

Probably kind of hard to find an endemic animal from Newfoundland that's actually a threatening animal. Killer Cod or Panic Puffins have a nice ring to it but only in a chuckle worthy way as compared to the other teams animal names.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
All of the logos/brands were single-sourced in-house by CEBL HQ. They're all created by the same people, save for the Growlers.
That makes sense then.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2022, 1:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustForTheHalibut View Post
^
The other teams like Honey Badgers or Sask Rattlers have easy pickings for selecting local dangerous animals for team names.

Probably kind of hard to find an endemic animal from Newfoundland that's actually a threatening animal. Killer Cod or Panic Puffins have a nice ring to it but only in a chuckle worthy way as compared to the other teams animal names.

That makes sense then.
The logos do have a feel of "create a team" logos.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2022, 11:16 PM
Registered Drug User

Are the Toronto Raptors Changing the Way NBA Teams Are Built?

Video Link

In brief: Masai Ujiri has prioritized getting long, active guys who can defend well off the switch, reasoning that they can work on their three-point shooting later. Plus, active big guys get more offensive rebounds, statistically another valid way to put points on the board in lieu of having five trey-shooters on the floor.

Masai Ujiri is an absolute genius, it must be said repeatedly. Not least because every single year he's been here the preseason has been full of promise. There was a whole decade between the departure of Vince Carter and the maturation of DeMar DeRozan (2004-2014) where there was little hope of optimism at the start of the season, but since then the anticipation of good things happening against the backdrop of seemingly limitless potential has been the order of the day in the fall.

The only notable exception was the lost season they spent down in Florida (2020-2021), which doesn't count per the force majeure clause included in the contract that fans sign before watching hoops.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2022, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridgeoftea View Post
The logos do have a feel of "create a team" logos.
They really do give off a “low-budget league” kind of vibe. Unfortunately, that is pretty much what the CEBL is right now, so it’s fitting I guess.

I am sure the logos and names will evolve/change with the league as it grows and matures. The CPL doesn’t really have this problem though which is kind of interesting. Really shows just how important marketing and branding is in the sports world.

Come See My Work: Mississauga Future Skyline Model | Pan-Canadian Future Skylines Project - Kelowna, Saskatoon, Windsor, London, Hamilton, Niagara Falls, Barrie, Ottawa, Halifax​​​ | Astrophotography Thread

Old Posted Oct 20, 2022, 2:18 PM

It's official, the CEBL announced that the Guelph Nighthawks have moved to Calgary where they will be known as the Calgary Surge. The team will play at the Winsport Centre.

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/basketball...ling-1.6621825

Old Posted Oct 20, 2022, 5:11 PM

I only recently found out about the CEBL. I think it's great. I hope Winnipeg get a team soon.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2022, 7:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisito View Post
I only recently found out about the CEBL. I think it's great. I hope Winnipeg get a team soon.
There have been rumours about prospective owners published in the local papers. I would not be too surprised to see Winnipeg land a team at some point soon.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2022, 9:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
There have been rumours about prospective owners published in the local papers. I would not be too surprised to see Winnipeg land a team at some point soon.
That would be great.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2022, 5:18 PM

Thought this guy was trolling Raps fans with that plate. Plus, he’s in a yellow truck and I was fully expecting there would be a lakers sticker on there somewhere. Nope! Turns out he has a Raps logo on the rear windshield.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2023, 3:17 AM

The Raptors absolutely stink this year. With 10 teams making the playoffs in each conference they still have a shot but barely which is pretty sad. Many had them winning 48 - 50 games.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2023, 4:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
The Raptors absolutely stink this year. With 10 teams making the playoffs in each conference they still have a shot but barely which is pretty sad. Many had them winning 48 - 50 games.
Yea Scottie seems to have hit the trademark sophomore slump which is unfortunate because Siakam is having another fantastic year. The east is quite competitive and what’s hurting the Raptors the most is their lack of a big man as well as horrible depth. The league is going big again while the Raptors are playing small ball and with how versatile big men are now (see Cavs, Bucks, Nets) it’s a recipe for disaster.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2023, 3:51 AM

I think not having the Kyle Lowry leader type hurts. FVV is likeable but he's not a leader like Lowry.

Raps have talent for sure, but so do so many other teams. I think there's tonnes of talent and depth in the NBA now. Part of that is the sheer number of foreign players now. This has contributed to greater parity which means there's a lot of teams with similar composition of talented players as the Raps so they need to figure out a different way of playing to start competing again. And even if they don't this year, I could see them winning 50+ next year just simply due to the aformentioned parity and cyclical nature of the NBA now. Things change...

If I were the Raptors' brass, I fire Nick Nurse and thank him for alll the good he did. Doesn't deserve to be fired, but I think the Raps could use a new voice and direction. Too bad that's not how sports works 99% of the time because of management/coaching customs and the old boys network.

I used to wish for more parity in the NBA but now, god damn, there might be too much! It was like tennis, where I got sick of the same 3 or 4 mens players winning everything and preferred the results of the womens circuit. But then the womens game got to the point where I was like who? Every grand slam was being won by a different player each time. However, I am happy there are no more super teams in the NBA. Even GSW winning last year felt like parity due to the fact that they bottomed out after the injuries and were written off as contenders for good.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2023, 11:28 PM

Old Posted Mar 5, 2023, 1:34 AM
Closed account

That guy with the yellow truck needs some truck nuts.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2023, 1:57 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightingGuy View Post
That guy with the yellow truck needs some truck nuts.
Big ones too. The kind that drag on the ground.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2023, 12:19 AM
ハルウララ

Canada's first-ever WNBA game in Toronto virtually sold out right away

Rob Williams
Mar 8 2023, 8:19 pm

The WNBA’s Canadian debut is a slam dunk.

Tickets went on sale this morning for the first-ever WNBA game in Canada, which will be played May 13 at Scotiabank Arena, the home arena of the Toronto Raptors.

If you’re still looking for a pair of tickets, you’re out of luck — as only a few single seats are remaining for the practically sold-out game.

That’s an impressive feat for a preseason game at a neutral site, between the Chicago Sky and Minnesota Lynx.

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/firs...anada-sold-out

Old Posted Mar 10, 2023, 3:02 PM

The Final 8 starts today... let's go Wesmen

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada