HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 31, 2009, 12:51 AM

Global Transportation Hub (Regina)

I see WPG has their own thread so too should Regina.

This has grown beyond the CPR Intermodal facility... Very exciting future for Regina..the spinoffs from the new development is quite staggering..Once you have something of the scale of Loblaws, other companies will put Regina on the short list..I am not sure how much land the City has secured from the RM of Sherwood, but i hope its more then the 3200 acres that was said to be needed. [update]....Originally, the city applied to the RM for six areas of land -- three were approved and three were denied. The city began negotiating with the RM for Area E and F.

"The reason why we needed decisions made on these two (areas) is because they directly effect the Global Transportation Hub," said Fiacco. "We will continue to negotiate in good faith on the third parcel of land."
Jan 30th,2009

some links regarding the GTH.

Saskatchewan's Global Transportation Hub. (Government site)

Regina growth, also click avison young outlook

More cash for growing transport facility

please post anything else you have...

Last edited by mjpaul; Jan 31, 2009 at 1:25 AM.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2009, 2:29 AM

I wonder if any plans are in place to improve access to the airport for the transportation hub. I used to work at the airport and when I was late would cut in the back down 13th ave which is all gravel road. I may be thinking way to far ahead here but maybe an alternate access other than Regina ave for transport vehicles may be an idea.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2009, 3:18 AM
BANNED

So basically there will be three hubs: Edmonton, Regina and Winnipeg. Each having the same level of importance as the other.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2009, 3:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypilot View Post
I wonder if any plans are in place to improve access to the airport for the transportation hub. I used to work at the airport and when I was late would cut in the back down 13th ave which is all gravel road. I may be thinking way to far ahead here but maybe an alternate access other than Regina ave for transport vehicles may be an idea.
Jay

I dont think Regina Ave access will be all that practical..Pinkie Road will be the best for truckers. With Harbor Landing in the SW i think the city will discourage heavy truck traffic on the Lewvan as the retail environment grows

I believe Sandra Schmirler Way off 13th Ave would offer an excellent route for cargo traffic to and from the airport, as it is already there... When you look at Google Earth there is a large area that could be accomodated for future air cargo facilities...a taxi way could easily come off the main runway to cargowarehouses/unloading facilities in the vacant area i refer to. (assume airport owns it)

original announcement July 29/08
Loblaw announces plans to build a distribution centre

Leader-Post
Published: Tuesday, July 29, 2008

REGINA -- Regina's dream of becoming a "global transportation hub" took another step closer to reality as Loblaw Companies Ltd. announced plans Tuesday to build a $200-million distribution centre about five km west of the city.

The 500,000-square-foot building is the first phase of a one-million-square-foot, $350-million warehouse and distribution facility Loblaw plans to build on the site.

The distribution centre is expected to employ 750 people within two years and as many as 1,500 by 2017, Loblaw officials said.
Saskatchewan Premier Brad Wall stands in a canola field approximately 8 kilometers west of the Lewvan turnoff on Dewdney avenue where Loblaws, Canada's largest food distributor, will build a distribution facility.

Saskatchewan Premier Brad Wall stands in a canola field approximately 8 kilometers west of the Lewvan turnoff on Dewdney avenue where Loblaws, Canada's largest food distributor, will build a distribution facility.

Premier Brad Wall said the announcement marks the beginning of the development of "one of Western Canada's most significant transportation and logistics facilities."

"Right now, all you can see behind us is a beautiful field of canola,'' Wall told a news conference Wednesday.

"Two years from now, there will be half-a-million square foot building -- equivalent to five-and-a-half football fields. It will be the precursor to ... a one-million-square-foot facility.''

The Loblaw announcement comes hard on the heels of confirmation earlier this month that Canadian Pacific is proceeding with an intermodal facility (IMF) west of the city. The IMF is part of a $93-million infrastructure project, which received $27 million from the federal government in December.

The infrastructure project includes upgrading of Pinkie Road to connect the Trans-Canada Highway and Highway 11 and improving connections to the City of Regina road network.

Jane Marshall, executive vice-president of real estate for Loblaw Companies, said Loblaw chose to build the distribution centre in Regina for several reasons.

"Loblaw Companies is Canada's largest food distributor. We have 50 million square feet of retail space across the county; 15 million of that retail space is located in Western Canada,'' she said.

Loblaw is currently "revitalizing" its retail store line-up, including sprucing up its Real Canadian Superstore locations and converting many of its Extra Foods locations into discount No Frills stores, Marshall said.

"This facility will serve those stores, primarily in Saskatchewan and Manitoba in the first phase. But, as we construct the balance of the facility (to) just under one million square feet, it will serve all of our stores in Western Canada.''

Being CP's largest customer, Loblaw also wanted to be close to the intermodal facility, which would help Loblaw "optimize our service levels to our stores" and "minimize our environmental impact," she said.

Peter McMahon, executive vice-president of supply chain and information technology for Loblaw, agreed Regina was the "ideal location" for the distribution centre, especially after the announcement of CP's intermodal facility

"It really helps us with our strategy in transport of taking more and more product off the road, (dealing) with the escalating price of fuel ... and dealing with the environment impact.''

Initially, the facility will hire 500 employees in its first year of operation. But McMahon said the distribution centre will "very quickly'' expand to one million square feet and distribute about three million cases of product per week.

"It's a big deal. It's a lot of trucks. It's a lot of volume going out of the distribution centre.''

With an estimated 1,400 trucks per week using the facility, road and highways in the area will have to be upgraded to accommodate the additional traffic.

John Law, deputy minister of Highways and Infrastructure, said the province will be responsible for "basic transportation infrastructure," including upgrading roads and highways serving the intermodal facility and distribution centre, which will cost around $45 million.

Mayor Pat Fiacco said the Loblaw distribution centre is the first of many similar projects that will be located close to CP's intermodal facility.

"Eventually," Fiacco said, "we will see more warehouses, distribution centres, ... services and retail operations, all in an area much larger than Regina's current industrial park.''

Fiacco said the development is part of a longer-term plan to turn Regina into a global distribution hub. "The site will serve as an inland port ... where goods will move by road and rail. Easy access to the airport provides another means to ship goods around the world.

"Regina will become a central transportation hub."

Larry Hiles, president and CEO of Regina Regional Economic Development Authority, said securing Loblaw as an anchor tenant provides the critical mass the intermodal facility-transportation hub needs to get off the ground

"This is a $200-million investment, We will easily see over a $1 billion (invested in the area) by the time we're half built out'' in five or six years, Hiles said.

While initially used for distribution and warehousing, Hiles said assembly and manufacturing operations will locate in the area, which is three times the size of Ross Industrial Park.

"The companies that want to get into those areas want to be near where the distribution hubs are. We see this happening in stages, this (Loblaw announcement) being the first positive step.''

Old Posted Jan 31, 2009, 3:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairie Guy View Post
So basically there will be three hubs: Edmonton, Regina and Winnipeg. Each having the same level of importance as the other.
I wonder how significant winnipegs "CentrePort development hub" will be considering their mayor didn't even mention it in their 2009 State of the city address.

Mayor Katz 2009 State of the City Address.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2009, 3:34 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjpaul View Post
I wonder how significant winnipegs "CentrePort development hub" will be considering their mayor didn't even mention it in their 2009 State of the city address.

I wonder how significant Regina's will be since both Edmonton and Winnipeg have access to Ocean ports and have road infrastructure going north and south to the US, and Regina has no access to Ocean ports or significant road access to the US in place.

Winnipeg and Edmonton are better suited over Regina, hands down.

Last edited by Ruckus; Jan 31, 2009 at 6:09 AM. Reason: off-topic comments will not be tolerated

Old Posted Jan 31, 2009, 3:38 AM
Capitalist

Quote:

It will be massive .. it was mentioned in the federal budget, with very significant federal dollars and was proclaimed the highest priority by the province. With that said the city and Mayor Katz has fully endorced and signed off on Centreport development plan last year.

This thing will be moving ahead full steam this year, with hundreds of millions of dollars in development occuring. With the recent annoucements made in the federal budget Winnipeg will be the major inland port.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2009, 3:49 AM

Quote:
Jay

I believe Sandra Schmirler Way off 13th Ave would offer an excellent route for cargo traffic to and from the airport, as it is already there... When you look at Google Earth there is a large area that could be accomodated for future air cargo facilities...a taxi way could easily come off the main runway to cargowarehouses/unloading facilities in the vacant area i refer to. (assume airport owns it)
I agree. Most of the current cargo activity occurs on Airport road right off Sandra Schmirler Way. A good connection on 13th ave heading west would seem the way to go.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2009, 4:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newflyer View Post
It will be massive .. it was mentioned in the federal budget, with very significant federal dollars and was proclaimed the highest priority by the province. With that said the city and Mayor Katz has fully endorced and signed off on Centreport development plan last year.

This thing will be moving ahead full steam this year, with hundreds of millions of dollars in development occuring. With the recent annoucements made in the federal budget Winnipeg will be the major inland port.
As far as a link to the United States i cant see Winnipeg having a dramatic advantage over Regina..in fact i think Regina may have the advantage...and Regina is strategically in a better position to serve Western Canada then WPG. Regarding USA, Regina/Moose Jaw already act as a container shipping hub as we have a direct rail line to Twin Cities,Chicago,Kanasas City and MEXICO) . (see map)

according to the map Regina mayhave the USA advantage as well as the Port of Churchill, Duluth Minnesota is only a few hours further then transit from WPG. It looks like Winnipeg has no direct rail to Chicago?? ..I say Regina is the smart choice for "THE" Hub...(my mistake..i see WPG rail is routed east towards Duluth then Chicago).......

Last edited by mjpaul; Jan 31, 2009 at 4:28 AM.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2009, 4:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newflyer View Post

I'm not looking to start a war here. I am curious if any tenants are interested in Winnipeg's inland port. I know Sask went ahead and are now calling it a global transportation hub. What does that even mean. It is all words and names. We have the Loblaws distribution centre in planning and thats it... but I am curious to hear if any company has commited to anything in Winnipeg.

Side note: Lived in Regina 21 years... now in alberta for my job for the last couple years ...... Used to spend alot of time in Winnipeg and I'd take Winnipeg over anywhere in alberta anyday

Old Posted Jan 31, 2009, 4:48 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypilot View Post
I'm not looking to start a war here. I am curious if any tenants are interested in Winnipeg's inland port. I know Sask went ahead and are now calling it a global transportation hub. What does that even mean. It is all words and names. We have the Loblaws distribution centre in planning and thats it... but I am curious to hear if any company has commited to anything in Winnipeg.

Side note: Lived in Regina 21 years... now in alberta for my job for the last couple years ...... Used to spend alot of time in Winnipeg and I'd take Winnipeg over anywhere in alberta anyday

I agree .. I don't want a competetion on here either.. I wish Regina all the best. The more efficient goods can get from A to B the better off it will be for everyone.

To answer your questions though ... Winnipeg is already the busiest air cargo hub in the nation and the handles the 5th most cargo by wieght .... it also already has the largest rail infrastructure in Western Canada... and is on a major distribution corridor, which will be seeing alot of upgrades in the coming year. So far there is around of 500 million of infrastructure developments ready to go, not including the big developments already underconstruction at the James Armstrong Richardson International.

Once the infrastructure is in place (phase one will be ready to go by the end of 09) I can assure you many of the major cargo distributors would either further develop there opporations in the city, or for those not already located in Winnipeg in any meaningful way will look to locate in this new port.

While Winnipeg has more than its share of grocery store warehouses, including a sizable Loblaws Distribution Centre (no big deal), the Centreport Canada will be mainly made up of general cargo facilities, and large levels of transportation infrastructure and manufacturing facilities. Centreport is going up in response to demand.

Like I said I wish Regina the best in there new hub facility. I don't see one hurting the other at this point.

Last edited by newflyer; Jan 31, 2009 at 6:33 AM.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2009, 5:04 AM
Capitalist

duplicate

Old Posted Jan 31, 2009, 5:10 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

each city has its own advantage and will have its purpos

anyhow...

Old Posted Jan 31, 2009, 5:33 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
according to the map Regina mayhave the USA advantage as well as the Port of Churchill, Duluth Minnesota is only a few hours further then transit from WPG. It looks like Winnipeg has no direct rail to Chicago?? ..I say Regina is the smart choice for "THE" Hub...(my mistake..i see WPG rail is routed east towards Duluth then Chicago).......

Winnipeg also has direct rail link to Minniapolis.. as well as down to Omaha and Kansas City.

Also note there was a recent annoucement to upgrade a Class 2 rail line ( Keewatin railway) to a Class 1 running along western Manitoba.

Last edited by newflyer; Jan 31, 2009 at 6:29 AM.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2009, 5:59 AM

It seems this will be a huge wait and see situation. I am excited to see what happens with Regina and Winnipeg... yay Saskatchewan and Manitoba, it is our time now.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2009, 4:05 PM

As far as I have read or heard the CP container facility in downtown Regina is being moved West of the city, but the actual railline is staying put, yet 2 people from Regina have told me that they are planning on re-routing the railline around the city and out of downtown as well. Is there talk of that happening? I recall when I lived in Regina many years ago the talk of rail relocation but never amounted to anything. Is that what they are referring to? I can't see the lines going anywhere in the near future. It would cost a bundle.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2009, 8:16 PM
BANNED

Personaly, I feel that this project is a disaster waiting to happen, a white elephant. This is because just about every major community along a rail line or major highway in Western Canada believes that an Inland Port is going to be their saviour. When in fact the ones that have been developed in Canada, like Prince George, have not come close to the development that was intially predicated. Regina has been sold an empty basket of goods and has fallen for it.

Reminds me of the Simpson's monorail episode.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2009, 11:04 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

theres more then just a inland port happening its a hub for the provinces for goods going in and out and will help crea jobs in the local economys

Old Posted Feb 17, 2009, 5:19 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
theres more then just a inland port happening its a hub for the provinces for goods going in and out and will help crea jobs in the local economys
It will definitely create some jobs and may have a small impact on the local economy, but there is no guarantee that it will have anything more then a minimal impact. It could, in a worse case scenario, become a cost borne by taxpayers due to ongoing maintanence costs.

There is alot of hype around this project and experience tells me that, when something is hyped; it usually is a dud. Take NEW Coke for one of many many many flops. We just need to fully aware of all the possibilities, good and bad.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2009, 6:27 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

^true very true but without hype things can also flop

and hype too soon can bankrupte as in the case of the osborn 2

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan