HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted May 2, 2021, 11:07 PM

Thanks, Fere! We're getting there

Old Posted May 3, 2021, 2:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fereLeonart105 View Post
I made a quick visual showing how many floors will still be built.
I find it's convenient to split the building into 5-floor groups where there is a new setback.

Current construction has completed the yellow, green and red setbacks and only has one more floor until the the purple setback is done. After that there is still one more 5-floor group to construct (teal), plus the top of the "sail" on the west side of the building.

By my estimation there is roughly about 6 floors to go, plus the decorative sail. Exciting!

That’s a nice representation of the building and the angle is perfect. Great first post buddy.

Old Posted May 3, 2021, 3:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IluvATX View Post
That’s a nice representation of the building and the angle is perfect. Great first post buddy.
The rendering makes me wonder -- surely it will be mechanical equipment at the very top, shrouded by the upper facade of the "sail" portion of this buiding. But I'm surprised there isn't any similar walls on the south/east portions of the building (facing the front in the rendering) that will hide that. Hopefully it won't easily be visible when completed, but it almost looks like it could seem "unfinished" without them just completing the "sail" to a tip.

Old Posted May 3, 2021, 3:42 PM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geckos_Rule View Post
The rendering makes me wonder -- surely it will be mechanical equipment at the very top, shrouded by the upper facade of the "sail" portion of this buiding. But I'm surprised there isn't any similar walls on the south/east portions of the building (facing the front in the rendering) that will hide that. Hopefully it won't easily be visible when completed, but it almost looks like it could seem "unfinished" without them just completing the "sail" to a tip.
I think the two rows of glass at the top function as the mechanical screen. I seems like that is an extension of the top cutback for that purpose based on how I'm looking at it.

Old Posted May 6, 2021, 10:40 PM

Old Posted May 7, 2021, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geckos_Rule View Post
Surely no one would design a prominent building in this area of downtown with a crown that looks unfinished...

Old Posted May 10, 2021, 3:54 AM

My fiancé and I booked a suite at Austin Proper this weekend after our wedding. I'll be sure to get some good pics of Block 185.

Old Posted May 10, 2021, 2:43 PM

[/QUOTE]

I wonder how they're going to wash the windows on the west side of this building - any ideas?

Old Posted May 10, 2021, 3:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by resansom View Post
I wonder how they're going to wash the windows on the west side of this building - any ideas?[/QUOTE]

There will be one of those arms that resemble anti-aircraft cannons tucked behind the parapet. Similar to Indeed's.

Old Posted May 10, 2021, 3:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndic View Post
My fiancé and I booked a suite at Austin Proper this weekend after our wedding. I'll be sure to get some good pics of Block 185.
Congrats!! Let us know how it is....I am so in love/intrigued with that hotel.

Old Posted May 10, 2021, 7:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndic View Post
Congrats! But don't spend too much time looking out the window taking pics for the sake of this forum. Someone might feel left out of the picture.

Old Posted May 10, 2021, 11:14 PM

"not now babe trying to catch that sunset reflecting off the glass"

Old Posted May 10, 2021, 11:25 PM

Hi Everyone! New here, but I'm involved with this project and figured I could shed some light on some of the topics you've been discussing! I love seeing the excitement - it makes the job all the more fulfilling!

*Lighting*
Rest assured, there will be plenty of light at the top of the building. The crown will have lights situated on the steel structure, pointing at the backside of the glass. The glass is fritted in order to even better capture the light at night. It will also have some lights within the curtainwall system. The lights within the curtainwall will cascade down the south edge of the sail. There will also be recessed lighting in the panels at the terraced sections of the south facade. All of the lights will be LED's and they'll be able to change the colors for various holidays/events.

*Mechanical Roof*
Levels 36 and 37 make up the mechanical screen at the roof. This space will house some of the building's mechanical equipment, but it will be contained within a finished space, so it won't read through the glass as anything too "mechanical." There is also a large building maintenance rig contained within this space.

*Building Maintenance*
There is a large rig at the top of the building that will allow a basket to service the north, east, and west facades of the building. The north and the east will be treated similar to any other building, but on the west side, the basket will glide down the sail through tracks built into the ends of the vertical "fins" that are featured on the sail. Two large steel rails run along the south edge of the sail, allowing the basket to travel laterally as the facade slopes further and further away from the rig. Rails also are featured at Levels 11, 16, 21, 26, 31, and 36 on the south elevation, and allow a basket to service the terraced south elevation.

Hope that helps!

Old Posted May 10, 2021, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTS529 View Post
Hi Everyone! New here, but I'm involved with this project and figured I could shed some light on some of the topics you've been discussing! I love seeing the excitement - it makes the job all the more fulfilling!

*Lighting*
Rest assured, there will be plenty of light at the top of the building. The crown will have lights situated on the steel structure, pointing at the backside of the glass. The glass is fritted in order to even better capture the light at night. It will also have some lights within the curtainwall system. The lights within the curtainwall will cascade down the south edge of the sail. There will also be recessed lighting in the panels at the terraced sections of the south facade. All of the lights will be LED's and they'll be able to change the colors for various holidays/events.

*Mechanical Roof*
Levels 36 and 37 make up the mechanical screen at the roof. This space will house some of the building's mechanical equipment, but it will be contained within a finished space, so it won't read through the glass as anything too "mechanical." There is also a large building maintenance rig contained within this space.

*Building Maintenance*
There is a large rig at the top of the building that will allow a basket to service the north, east, and west facades of the building. The north and the east will be treated similar to any other building, but on the west side, the basket will glide down the sail through tracks built into the ends of the vertical "fins" that are featured on the sail. Two large steel rails run along the south edge of the sail, allowing the basket to travel laterally as the facade slopes further and further away from the rig. Rails also are featured at Levels 11, 16, 21, 26, 31, and 36 on the south elevation, and allow a basket to service the terraced south elevation.

Hope that helps!
Great info!

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted May 11, 2021, 12:06 AM
クラブトクヨ

Wow! Welcome and thank you for sharing all the lighting info!!

Old Posted May 11, 2021, 2:29 AM

Yes - great info! I'm excited to see the lighting when this is all complete. It sounds like it's going to be stunning

Old Posted May 11, 2021, 2:54 AM

Welcome to the forum, LTS529!! Thank you for disclosing that info to us! Truly one of my favorites, which takes my breath away each time I see it.

Old Posted May 11, 2021, 2:59 AM

That's awesome. It's like we matter a little bit.

Old Posted May 11, 2021, 4:58 AM

I had a feeling some of the lights would be able to change for various events/holiday season. Thank you for sharing the information! The skyline will look so much better once it's completed.

Any estimated time frame of when it would top off? Like summer/fall timeframe?

Old Posted May 11, 2021, 5:24 AM

Are they going to put another Google logo on this building?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin