HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Mar 7, 2024, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesSportsFan View Post
I sincerely hope so. LA city is falling apart especially compared to the other cities in the county. Its so jarring going from WeHo, Pasadena, Santa Monica, Beverly Hills, Glendale, Culver City, etc into LA city.
We need lots of improvement in our city, most definitely but LA city is a lot more to manage than the above mentioned cities that are so much smaller. These cities also have less poor people living in them, so there is a lot of work to do in comparison. Brentwood, Hancock Park, Sherman Oaks, Woodland Hills, Studio City, Leimert Park, Encino, Porter Ranch and countless other communities that reside inside the city limits are well maintained, but again these are areas that are middle to high income neighborhoods that are similar to the Santa Monica, Pasadena, etc.

I’ve seen worse in NYC,and Chicago. Even parts of the northside of Chicago has areas that need some love.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2024, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisLA View Post
We need lots of improvement in our city, most definitely but LA city is a lot more to manage than the above mentioned cities that are so much smaller. These cities also have less poor people living in them, so there is a lot of work to do in comparison. Brentwood, Hancock Park, Sherman Oaks, Woodland Hills, Studio City, Leimert Park, Encino, Porter Ranch and countless other communities that reside inside the city limits are well maintained, but again these are areas that are middle to high income neighborhoods that are similar to the Santa Monica, Pasadena, etc.

I’ve seen worse in NYC,and Chicago. Even parts of the northside of Chicago has areas that need some love.
Def. Rogers Park/Uptown/Edgewater are not Lakeview/Lincoln Park/Gold Coast.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2024, 12:02 AM

I need to reiterate how perfect the 4th and Central project is. Everything from the scale to to interaction with the street to the varied facades and building types. I would love 20 of these side by side filling in everything along Alameda, Central 8th to 1st.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2024, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisLA View Post

I dont disagree that we have a lot more poor people in LA city, but we also dont have basic planning. The city does not think proactively unfortunately. We need a beautification leader that can move things along such as master planning major street rehabs and improvements. Even a couple miles on one major street a year where wires are undergrounded, protected bike lanes are added, trees, street lights and signage are improved would be a massive improvement. That in turn would bring in investment and more property taxes. Its not rocket science

Old Posted Mar 8, 2024, 1:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesSportsFan View Post
I need to reiterate how perfect the 4th and Central project is. Everything from the scale to to interaction with the street to the varied facades and building types. I would love 20 of these side by side filling in everything along Alameda, Central 8th to 1st.
Agreed. I don't normally post street-level renderings but I did here because they show a proper engagement between the project and the street.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2024, 2:42 AM
Ridin' into the sunset

I think street-level renderings are just as important as the birds eye view renderings, as that is how the vast majority of people will experience these buildings. And agreed that 4th and Central is a great project in both regards, and glad to see some leadership in fast-tracking this one. Let's hope this is the beginning of a trend not only Citywide, but state-wide, and that it spurs some CEQA reform to tighten up the misuse of that law for non-environmental reasons.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Mar 8, 2024, 3:38 AM

The LA Times posted this photo of the site as it is right now:

Old Posted Mar 8, 2024, 4:05 PM

I feel this is one of the most important projects in LA. It will be a game changer for the area. I feel other developers will follow and restore a lot of the cool pre-war buildings around the surrounding blocks and develop parking lots and dumpy hideous post-war warehouses. Arts District West perhaps?

Old Posted Mar 11, 2024, 5:09 AM

Olympic + Hill under construction:

My photo

Old Posted Mar 11, 2024, 7:28 AM

Great photo, the area has come a long way and theres so much potential there still.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2024, 7:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM19 View Post
Great photo, the area has come a long way and theres so much potential there still.
Sooooo true!

Old Posted Mar 11, 2024, 3:19 PM

Craigs beat me to the chase 😂

Some updates of Olympic/Hill:

1. From the Wilshire Grand

2. From Koreatown

Old Posted Mar 11, 2024, 6:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIMBY Slayer View Post
I feel this is one of the most important projects in LA. It will be a game changer for the area. I feel other developers will follow and restore a lot of the cool pre-war buildings around the surrounding blocks and develop parking lots and dumpy hideous post-war warehouses. Arts District West perhaps?
Just as an FYI, developers planning large developments like this in places like DTLA are effectively betting that Measure ULA will be nullified by the passage of the Taxpayer Protection Act this November. If the transfer tax stays in place, don't expect anyone to move forward on this in the next decade. Keep that in mind when you vote in November!

P.S. I'm a lifelong liberal, so this isn't coming from an anti tax or conservative place. It's coming from working in the business and seeing most new development become infeasible with this poorly designed tax in place.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2024, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalKid View Post
Just as an FYI, developers planning large developments like this in places like DTLA are effectively betting that Measure ULA will be nullified by the passage of the Taxpayer Protection Act this November. If the transfer tax stays in place, don't expect anyone to move forward on this in the next decade. Keep that in mind when you vote in November!

P.S. I'm a lifelong liberal, so this isn't coming from an anti tax or conservative place. It's coming from working in the business and seeing most new development become infeasible with this poorly designed tax in place.
Several large projects have broken ground since ULA passed, so saying to not expect any projects to proceed for a decade is definitely off. I wasn't a fan of ULA but in the end it's a pass-through cost as most costs are. People are more likely waiting due to the uncertainty. Why pay a tax now that you may not need to pay in a few months? Once that's resolved it will be the cost of doing business just like it already is in NYC, Philadelphia and SF.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2024, 11:08 PM
Paramoderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalKid View Post

Why would the Taxpayer Protection Act retroactively apply to a previously passed tax?

Old Posted Mar 12, 2024, 1:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by headcheckjj View Post
Craigs beat me to the chase 😂
Were you up there yesterday, too?

Old Posted Mar 12, 2024, 1:27 AM
Ridin' into the sunset

Some movement on the City Market development in the Arts District/Skid Row area. By no means does this mean that construction is imminent - far from it - but still a step in the right direction.

https://la.urbanize.city/post/city-c...ts-city-market
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Mar 12, 2024, 5:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy View Post
Several large projects have broken ground since ULA passed, so saying to not expect any projects to proceed for a decade is definitely off. I wasn't a fan of ULA but in the end it's a pass-through cost as most costs are. People are more likely waiting due to the uncertainty. Why pay a tax now that you may not need to pay in a few months? Once that's resolved it will be the cost of doing business just like it already is in NYC, Philadelphia and SF.
I'm not aware of a single private large scale project breaking ground since then in the City of LA that didn't have their capital raised before the tax was implemented. It is NOT a pass-through. If a developer plans for 20% profit and this tax takes away 5.5% of total sales price, that's a 27.5% additional tax (5.5%/27.5%). That's on top of the previously existing transfer tax and income taxes. You can't pass that on - you just have to wait a very long time until rents increase 27.5% (relative to costs, which are also increasing). You can't just increase rents 27.5% to make up for it, the market dictates what rents are. If you just increase rents unilaterally, you won't lease up.

Take this from someone underwriting and directing development at a very large developer you've heard of, this is a major barrier to new development. I will outright have to cancel several large projects if the tax isn't overturned.

By the way, New York's mansion tax is truly for "mansions" and does not hit commercial buildings. Philadelphia's is high (top rate of 4.27%), but not nearly as high as LA's now - a top rate of 6.06%. And not a whole lot of development has happened in San Francisco since the transfer tax increase occurred in 2020.

If you care about new development, you should be extremely anti ULA. Unlike interest rates (which are a big barrier to development right now), this doesn't fluctuate, so if it isn't overturned it becomes a permanent barrier.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2024, 5:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illithid Dude View Post
Why would the Taxpayer Protection Act retroactively apply to a previously passed tax?
Because the measure is written to be retroactive to November 2020.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2024, 7:59 PM

LA Mayor announces $6 million in federal funding towards Hollywood Freeway Cap project and permanent closure of Wilshire Blvd through MacArthur Park

https://mayor.lacity.gov/news/major-...ing-strengthen

*Send PM for updates/edits/corrections*

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations