HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Oct 27, 2022, 4:08 PM

San Francisco drops to 3rd most expensive city for renters

When New York City surpassed San Francisco as the most expensive city in which to rent an apartment in August 2021, it was the first time any major metro cost more than SF since Zumper started tracking rental data in 2014. Now, just over a year later, San Francisco has dropped again, becoming the third most expensive city for renting, according to new data from Zumper.

https://www.sfgate.com/realestate/ar...g-17533740.php

Old Posted Oct 27, 2022, 4:10 PM

Nature is healing.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2022, 11:55 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

omg are you really going to make us have to clik thru all that?

tl;dr -- number two is now boston -- and number four is san jose.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2022, 10:16 PM
Pay it Forward

SF always gets harangued for cost-of-living so this is a welcomed development to me, plus SF also has the highest income.

City, State/Median 1bd Rent/Median 2-Person Family Income
1 New York, NY $3,860($67,164)
2 Boston, MA $3,060($93,199)
3 San Francisco, CA $3,020($130,768)
4 San Jose, CA $2,600($115,563)
5 Miami, FL $2,510($45,854)

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference."-Robert Frost

Old Posted Nov 4, 2022, 5:44 PM
Environmental Sabotage

So the figures appear really low for a median 2-person income. FL seems to have some serious issues if the median 2-person income is only $45,854 in Miami.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2022, 1:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dktshb View Post
So the figures appear really low for a median 2-person income. FL seems to have some serious issues if the median 2-person income is only $45,854 in Miami.
Florida may be the most expensive state with crazy wealth inequality when adjusted for income. It's a very hard place to live in and even though people keep moving here in droves, many get the reality check very fast.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2022, 4:08 PM

Can someone please explain to me how Boston became that expensive? Sure, it's a nice city with a white collar job base, but doesn't have quite the same sex appeal of some of the other more traditionally expensive metros.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2022, 4:17 PM

Boston has been in the top 5 for decades, and usually among the top 3. A lot of high paying jobs + limited housing supply.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2022, 5:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by destroycreate View Post
Can someone please explain to me how Boston became that expensive? Sure, it's a nice city with a white collar job base, but doesn't have quite the same sex appeal of some of the other more traditionally expensive metros.
Boston is the San Francisco for people who like four seasons.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2022, 6:06 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
Boston has been in the top 5 for decades, and usually among the top 3. A lot of high paying jobs + limited housing supply.
And wicked awesome urban fabric throughout.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2022, 6:35 PM
Unicorn Wizard!

You never hear about Boston. You hear about Harvard or MIT or vague gestures towards the "East Coast" but Boston the city doesn't attract a lot of attention. Nobody cares about the Red Sox. Except for bad mob crime movies, commercials for Sam Adams beer, and Seth MacFarlane, you don't really see it mentioned much. When I think of Boston I think of watching PBS shows as a kid like Zoom or how in elementary school choir we sang a song about a dude named Charlie who got trapped in the subway, which is weird when you think about it.

Obviously it's no surprise the city proper would be an astronomically expensive place to live, but I always thought Massachusetts outside the city was sort of rust belt and decaying similar to upstate NY?

Old Posted Nov 5, 2022, 6:59 PM
devout Pizzatarian

i can't think of too many US cities that have more urban sex appeal than Boston.

Most US "cities" are vastly inferior to it.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2022, 7:02 PM
A Man In Dandism

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromSD View Post
Boston is the San Francisco for people who like four seasons.
Maybe in terms of urban fabric but demographics wise it’s vastly different.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2022, 7:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
And wicked awesome urban fabric throughout.
Yeah, which is the subtext for "limited housing supply".

Old Posted Nov 5, 2022, 11:40 PM
Birds Aren't Real!

Boston has an unusually large college student population, and a lot of good-paying jobs in a lot of fields, from finance to biotech. Couple that draw with insufficient housing production and prices stay high.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2022, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamaorama View Post
You never hear about Boston. You hear about Harvard or MIT or vague gestures towards the "East Coast" but Boston the city doesn't attract a lot of attention. Nobody cares about the Red Sox. Except for bad mob crime movies, commercials for Sam Adams beer, and Seth MacFarlane, you don't really see it mentioned much. When I think of Boston I think of watching PBS shows as a kid like Zoom or how in elementary school choir we sang a song about a dude named Charlie who got trapped in the subway, which is weird when you think about it.

Obviously it's no surprise the city proper would be an astronomically expensive place to live, but I always thought Massachusetts outside the city was sort of rust belt and decaying similar to upstate NY?
Boston is very high profile in the Eastern U.S. No doubt somewhat higher profile than Philly, and in the same general tier as DC. It doesn't have quite the global feel of the biggest U.S. metros but it's a heavyweight. Not quite the Bay Area, but not tremendously off either.

There isn't much to Mass outside the Boston CSA, and this small area is mostly college towns and second home areas for wealthy New Yorkers and Bostonians. So, no, not particularly Rust Belt anymore. Maybe Springfield, a bit, but not really. And Upstate NY near Mass isn't really Rust Belt. It's more of the college town/second home/recreational feel. The whole Hudson Valley, and hilly scenery north of NYC, whether in NY, CT or MA, is pretty expensive these days, with bad housing shortages. The real Rust is to the west of the Hudson Valley/Catskills.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2022, 12:11 AM

Listen, I know Boston is beautiful and has an incredible urban fabric.

But when I say sex appeal, I'm not talking the traits urban enthusiasts like ourselves love. I'm talking about the general American populace...most people all over the country don't dream one day of moving to Boston the way they do LA or NYC; nightlife is pretty staid there and socially it's in many ways a pretty stuffy, close-up-early kind of city. It's not one where the likes of Madonna would've shown up off a greyhound with just $5 on her to pursue her big city dreams. No Bravo! reality shows are filmed there, etc. etc. That sort of pull is often what makes the other cities so expensive and desirable.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2022, 12:18 AM

What you're describing basically applies to NY and LA, in North America, and nowhere else. How many movies or songs feature Dallas, or Toronto, or Denver? Yeah, Boston doesn't have mythical urban appeal spanning the globe, but that applies to few cities worldwide. It's a desirable city, and a lot of people want to move there and plant roots.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2022, 1:03 AM
Birds Aren't Real!

Quote:
Originally Posted by destroycreate View Post
Listen, I know Boston is beautiful and has an incredible urban fabric.

But when I say sex appeal, I'm not talking the traits urban enthusiasts like ourselves love. I'm talking about the general American populace...most people all over the country don't dream one day of moving to Boston the way they do LA or NYC; nightlife is pretty staid there and socially it's in many ways a pretty stuffy, close-up-early kind of city. It's not one where the likes of Madonna would've shown up off a greyhound with just $5 on her to pursue her big city dreams. No Bravo! reality shows are filmed there, etc. etc. That sort of pull is often what makes the other cities so expensive and desirable.
You invoke the "general American populace . . . most people all over the country"--surely you know by now that most Americans don't move to/settle in a city based on "sex appeal," epic nightlife, Bravo reality-show filming schedules, or "big city dreams?" What Madonna wanted to get out of New York City in 1977 is not what the average American wants out of their hometown in 2022. And while it may not be uncommon for teenagers, especially of older generations, it's not at all correct to claim in this day and age that "most people all over the country dream one day of moving to Los Angeles or New York City."

Boston draws people in due to its top notch universities and high-paying jobs, and it retains many of those who can afford to buy nice houses in safe areas with good schools, where they can successfully raise their families.

On that side of the nation, only New York City would draw in the small minority of Americans who move to/settle in places because they can satisfy their 'big city dream' of living in a frequent filming location with epic nightlife that draws in those who strive to become rich and famous in the popular culture.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2022, 1:42 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
What you're describing basically applies to NY and LA, in North America, and nowhere else. How many movies or songs feature Dallas, or Toronto, or Denver? Yeah, Boston doesn't have mythical urban appeal spanning the globe, but that applies to few cities worldwide. It's a desirable city, and a lot of people want to move there and plant roots.
That list is much larger than just NY and LA. Miami, Nashville, Austin, New Orleans, Vegas, and Houston, as well as Chicago and Philadelphia to a lesser degree, would all count IMHO.

Dallas, Fort Worth, Denver, Boston, Seattle, Portland, Minneapolis, Phoenix, San Diego, Tampa, Orlando, San Antonio, Salt Lake City, and others have the more family friendly button-up close-up shop early vibe.
SATX: 1435k (+8%) + MSA suburbs: 1124k (+38%) + CSA exurbs: 18k (+11%)
ATX: 962k (+22%) + MSA suburbs: 1322k (+43%)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions