HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

nuCLEus in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Cleveland Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Jan 10, 2015, 2:54 AM

memo to sentinel: the proof will be in the pudding. Let's see it get built. I have seen to many "proposals" in the the rugged interior (i.e.outside the east and left coast)to get excited until I see a crane. Prove me wrong. Out.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2015, 3:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by East72nd View Post
Really don't see this working in Cleveland. New York or LA yes. This is way to out of the box for a Midwestern city. Good luck though!
Really. This is 2015.
Cleveland has a NBA,NFL and MLB teams.
they even have a metro/subway/train system.
Anybody know what that bridge part of the building is for???

Old Posted Jan 10, 2015, 7:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eleven=11 View Post
Anybody know what that bridge part of the building is for???
It's to be a hotel, joining the ranks of Hilton, Kimpton, Aloft, Drury, and plenty of others that are recently finished or under construction. I'd imagine that all the people who said the new convention center was a waste of time are eating crow right now (or they're in denial).

This project is absolutely amazing. It looks a little out of place, but maybe that's because Cleveland has taken a couple of decades off from new buildings.

What's great is that Cleveland has been undergoing a transformation that has been more "under the skin", so to speak. We've been renovating many buildings, bringing life where there was previously decay. You can't see it if you drive by, but you can't ignore it if you bother to get out of your car (or off the rapid).

I've been waiting for the changes to get more visible, and I'm excited that it's finally happening. Between this, the Hilton, and Ernst and Young, we're finally getting to see some noticeable changes for those that have foolishly decided to separate themselves from the wonderful neighborhood that downtown is becoming. If you walk the streets of Cleveland like my wife and I do, it's impossible to ignore the amazing 180 that the city has taken in recent years. Previously abandoned buildings are filled with tenants, new companies are popping up, others are moving into the city center, and the streets are slowly being filled with places that you'd want to go. We live on the West side, and my kids love going downtown as much as we do. It's exciting that the skyline is starting to reflect what's going on throughout the city.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2015, 7:18 PM

Am I the only person who finds this proposal to be outrageously ugly?

The tower would be OK if it stayed consistent to the ground, without the bridge thing breaking it up. This reminds me of a gussied up version of that failed Louisville proposal from a few years ago, which I actually liked a lot better than this one.

Cleveland's skyline is very graceful at the moment. This looks like it belongs in Vegas (or better yet, on the scrap heap). Here's hoping for a redesign. I really think it's the bridge that kills it for me. Looks very clunky, and way too tacky to be in the presence of architectural gems like the Key Tower and Terminal Tower.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2015, 12:08 AM
Member of SSP since 1997

I don't find it ugly, outrageously or otherwise - but I do agree with you on the current iteration of the skybridge. You have all this interesting 'texture' going on with the base and the apartment tower balconies... then the skybridge is just a flat glass facade? I see in the renderings they show some of the cross-bracing but that will only be visible at night, if at all.

They said the skybridge is an homage to the historic bridges along the Cuyahoga River - well, I get that they want "sleek" for the development, but this is just *too* sleek, it needs more heft to it. 'Sleek' doesn't have to mean a flat glass curtain wall. I'm not an architect or engineer so no idea if it's feasible but I think if they played up the structural components of the bridge (i.e. Foster's HSBC Building in Hong Kong), that would help the design a *lot*. Then there's the question of the office building (the shorter tower) and what it will look like, and how the skybridge is incorporated. Right now, it just looks arbitrarily placed there without any thought to how those components interact. It's early on in the development and I'm sure the project will be revised as things progress but that's my take for now.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2015, 3:07 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayDay View Post
I see in the renderings they show some of the cross-bracing but that will only be visible at night, if at all.
perhaps not, at least according to this rendering.

it looks fairly visible to me, but renderings also often don't tell the real story. i too would like it if more visual emphasis was given to the structural members of the skybridge truss.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2015, 4:36 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Interesting way to incorporate a skybridge. Hopefully this is temporary. IDK how I feel about it.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2015, 10:18 PM
Eurosceptic

What's the latest on nuCLEus?

Old Posted Feb 9, 2015, 3:17 PM

Just got back from visiting Cleveland........what a cool city! Congrats on the new tower!

Old Posted Feb 9, 2015, 5:19 PM
Member of SSP since 1997

Late last year they were doing soil testing, and the development may happen in phases - I imagine the RNC is helping prod things along.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2015, 3:06 AM
welcome to the madness

Looks like a cousin of the never built proposal Louisville had a few years ago.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2015, 3:28 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

^ yeah that silly was never going to happen museum plaza proposal sure comes to mind. also tencent hq in shenzen, china, which nbbj designed:
http://www.nbbj.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
What's the latest on nuCLEus?

steady behind the scenes filings and action, like this:

http://www.secinfo.com/d1hTqh.me.htm

i think the funding business is supposed to be wrapped up around june?

Old Posted Mar 15, 2015, 11:36 PM

Looks like curtain wall. Very nice. If they end up using window wall it will look like crap though.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2015, 6:38 PM

Is this just replacing a parking lot or vacant land? Hopefully nothing historic is in its way.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2015, 7:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
^ yeah that silly was never going to happen museum plaza proposal sure comes to mind. also tencent hq in shenzen, china, which nbbj designed:
http://www.nbbj.com

steady behind the scenes filings and action, like this:

http://www.secinfo.com/d1hTqh.me.htm

i think the funding business is supposed to be wrapped up around june?
I had heard the architects of Museum Plaza were going to use their design elsewhere. I sure hope they do, but this doesn't come close to the design in Louisville which was the best designed building I have ever seen.

It came closer that what you thought. Iirc, they had close to the $465 mil after receiving funds from HUD.

Louisville is now trending upward since that time, I wish they would give it another shot. Or, at least replicate that design here.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2015, 12:48 PM
Member of SSP since 1997

"Is this just replacing a parking lot or vacant land? Hopefully nothing historic is in its way."

This is replacing a parking lot, a parking garage and a small 2-story historic* building.

*Architecturally speaking, it's not very remarkable but it does hold some interesting history - at one time, Nick's Sports Corner was the Domino Lounge which played an important part of the jazz scene in Cleveland. The Domino Lounge later became known as a hangout for gentlemen who were interested in "ladies" of the night (aka transgendered prostitutes).

Old Posted Apr 2, 2015, 11:10 AM
Member of SSP since 1997

The developer has secured a tenant for a portion of the office component:

nuCLEus project nabs Benesch law firm as first tenant

By Michelle Jarboe McFee, The Plain Dealer
on April 02, 2015 at 5:00 AM, updated April 02, 2015 at 6:26 AM

"CLEVELAND, Ohio - A 77-year-old law firm expects to move its offices to the proposed nuCLEus project, in a sign of early leasing momentum for the high-profile, high-reaching development.

Leaders at the Benesch firm have reached an agreement with developer Stark Enterprises to occupy roughly 66,500 square feet at a new office building planned north of Quicken Loans Arena. Those offices will be part of a $430 million development that could include a 54-story tower, largely filled with apartments; a bridge-like hotel; stores; restaurants; parking garages; and outdoor spaces.
"

More at:
http://www.cleveland.com/business/in...l#incart_river

Old Posted Apr 2, 2015, 4:30 PM
Chillin' in The Burgh

You can tell it's going to be good from the price tag. If a tower costs $350+ million, it's usually pretty good quality.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2015, 4:57 PM
MPLSXCHI

Wow, I'll be honest I thought they won't be getting far.

Keep at it.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2015, 6:15 PM

I don't know if this might be asking too much but if anyone had some free time could they go back and add some finer details on the diagram? I think it's awesome already but some textures would really pull the whole thing together.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive