HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One Chicago Square in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Feb 22, 2022, 5:47 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioGuy View Post

Source: Vashon Jordan Jr. Photography
i struggled for a bit with this shot trying to locate franklin center.

and there it was, hiding in plain sight, perfectly aligned with sears.

a superb shot, i just wish it panned left a little more to get st. regis.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2022, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
Am I stepping out of line with saying that I think One Chicago is the best tower to rise in the last 10 years for the Chicago region. IMO, in terms of the aesthetic impact it has and its proportions.

Love St Regis and all but IMO, One Chicago just has the type of design and impact that I think will cement itself as one of the greats in terms of the new generation of towers representing the 21st Century.

Absolutely agree!

Old Posted Feb 23, 2022, 4:36 AM

This is a wonderful tower and a great addition to the skyline. That said, when people visit Chicago, I do not believe they will leave here talking about this tower — with the caveat being whether or not they are skyscraper nerds/aficionado’s of course. But to the casual visitor, it is my feeling that St.Regis wows and makes a bigger, lasting impression. Unless within close proximity, many causal visitors will barely notice OCS, but St.Regis gets practically everyone’s attention. It is just that different and stunning — particularly on days when the sun hits the various colors/shapes of that tower… reflecting off the river and lake.

It is something best witnessed in person. Pictures don’t do St.Regis justice. Moreover, due to its critical acclaim right now combined with its unique shape & colors of the glass, again, I feel that St.Regis is ahead of its time. In a decade, I think the view of St.Regis will be different (in an even more favorable way) from its view today - vis a vis the Thompson Center when it was first built, vis a vis the Sears Tower when it was first built.

I could be wrong on that of course. Time will tell.

But here is my bottom line on the issue —- I like having them BOTH.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2022, 5:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halsted & Villagio View Post
This is a wonderful tower and a great addition to the skyline. That said, when people visit Chicago, I do not believe they will leave here talking about this tower — with the caveat being whether or not they are skyscraper nerds/aficionado’s of course. But to the casual visitor, it is my feeling that St.Regis wows and makes a bigger, lasting impression. Unless within close proximity, many causal visitors will barely notice OCS, but St.Regis gets practically everyone’s attention. It is just that different and stunning — particularly on days when the sun hits the various colors/shapes of that tower… reflecting off the river and lake.

It is something best witnessed in person. Pictures don’t do St.Regis justice. Moreover, due to its critical acclaim right now combined with its unique shape & colors of the glass, again, I feel that St.Regis is ahead of its time. In a decade, I think the view of St.Regis will be different (in an even more favorable way) from its view today - vis a vis the Thompson Center when it was first built, vis a vis the Sears Tower when it was first built.

Well said. Both rock my socks. Thought I'd bring this great photo post back. They look amazing together and are pushing this city skywards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLeunamme View Post
Earlier today

Old Posted Feb 23, 2022, 8:46 AM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halsted & Villagio View Post

That's also partially a function of location. I live very close to Millenium Park and I always hear tourists commenting "whoa, that's a cool building." Though often followed by "what's up with that floor that's empty?"

Old Posted Feb 23, 2022, 3:38 PM

Condo sales

Any word on how condo sales are going for this one?

Old Posted Feb 23, 2022, 3:50 PM

the glass from a certain distance looks unearthly, like alien in a way

super cool I think

Old Posted Feb 23, 2022, 3:59 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by upupaway007 View Post
Any word on how condo sales are going for this one?
Was checking some listings and a lot of the lower floor listings aren't available. Looks like the emphasis is selling the 2-3 million dollar units. A ton of 3 bedrooms available.

Plastered all over Gold Coast Realty.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2022, 4:07 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Three $8 million-plus homes just found buyers without hitting the market: https://www.chicagobusiness.com/resi...t-being-listed

This could be good news in theory for One Chicago sales. Looks like the buyers are there to support the more upper niche units.

Success in other developments or even nearby towers is optimistic.

St.Regis has had some high profile sales as well. Should translate nicely to this tower.

Often the more uber-luxury markets fluctuate but the fact that Q4 2021 had some success and recently in Q1 is a sign that the risk is low in general for these developments. They wouldn't have built this if the risk was high with respect to projected forecasts.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2022, 4:11 PM
BANNED

Is this whole foods at the base gonna be like the flagship midwest location? Looks massive.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2022, 4:22 PM

There's still segments of metal horizontal stripping (crown mullions idk?) missing from top of the parapet on the south side of the tower. I hope they eventually fix it...

Old Posted Mar 8, 2022, 9:12 PM

I used to dislike the North/South views of this tower, but the more it shows up, the more I prefer them. It looks much taller from these vantage points.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2022, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gebs View Post
It looks much taller from these vantage points.
Here it does look a little like NYC's Central Park Tower (which I saw in person 4 months ago), so yeah, this vantage point seems to make One Chicago look taller. I don't mean it appears to be 1,550 ft, but perhaps 1,100 ft.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2022, 11:42 PM

There were a number of people out in downtown today and we walked by this. I used to live a block away and the parking lot was always a let down from a vibrancy perspective. I'd call this one of the most important things built in the last while in Chicago from that vantage. There's probably already a number of people living there but when their vacancy is pretty low plus the Whole Foods is open at the corner there, this intersection is going to be buzzing.

This thing plugged up a major gap from that urbanity perspective though and is going to go a long way. Just need to plug up the few other major gaps in the downtown area.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2022, 2:05 AM
BANNED

Damn I just peeped River North alone has a better skyline than 99% of US cities. Crazy.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2022, 3:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toasty Joe View Post
From WPE yesterday:

God the way OCS compliments JHC......... Amazing. It's like they are brothers from a different mother.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2022, 7:10 PM

So either the top 8 or so floors are really slow to finish, or they're being kept as raw unfinished space for buyers to spec out.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2022, 10:07 PM
Everywhere all at once

That view down the Kennedy has been so immeasurably improved by both this and the St. Regis. Like, it was already great, but now it's literally an otherworldly spectacle.

Now it's time to add Tribune II to the mix

Old Posted Mar 18, 2022, 8:51 AM

Whole Foods buildout is clearly visible from the street. Looks like there will be a dining area overlooking the corner

Old Posted Mar 18, 2022, 3:24 PM

Toasty - That image is incredible! Thanks for sharing!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive