HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jun 1, 2009, 1:18 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado View Post
I wonder if they'll think of all the trans-Canada cyclists when they go about twinning things given that "there is no alternative route". Nah... it's the MTO - the 'Ministry of cars and trucks and the occasional bus but only because we have to'. They'll probably build interchanges with all the minor highways too because that's what the MTO does.
I believe there are already problems with that along sections of Highway 400 where they simply upgraded the existing alignment of Highway 69.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2009, 10:58 PM
I am a typical

Highway 69.

NWO once had a Highway 666.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2009, 11:55 PM
National Capital Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy_haak View Post
I believe there are already problems with that along sections of Highway 400 where they simply upgraded the existing alignment of Highway 69.
Interesting... didn't know that but looking at Google I can see the issue.

The MTO may be in a precarious legal position there - they've taken away a right to use the King's Highway without providing an acceptable alternative.

Around Ottawa in Arnprior where Hwy 17 becomes Hwy 417 the MTO hasn't put up any signs banning cyclists and pedestrians from the freeway nor have they posted signs indicating how to get to an alternative route.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2009, 12:42 AM
So very tired...

Quote:
NWO once had a Highway 666.
Alberta still does, runs from Highway 40 just south of Grande Prairie to the middle of nowhere.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2009, 12:46 AM
Heart of the Continent

All the highway work going on across the country is quite exciting. I'd like to hear a couple of things happen though. First, I'd like there to be something new happening in BC, second, I'd like for something to happen quickly in eastern Manitoba (my guess is next year), and third, I'd like to see the 417 extended further.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2009, 9:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubicon View Post
Not to dispute this, but in fact it is only the Feds who are doing this. The AB gov't (or any other provincial gov't) has no jurisdiction nor any obligation to do work inside a national park.
Whoops, you're right about that...

Old Posted Jun 19, 2009, 4:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt18325 View Post
I don't think that ottawa should be handling infrastructure. Provincial governments are more likely to be in sync with the needs of their province.

In other news, I know it's not exactly the Trans Canada, but the Southern portion of Calgary's right road is starting construction. The southern route wil lbe much shorther than the northern one that opens at the end of this year.

http://actionplan.gc.ca/eng/media.asp?id=1483
I believe Ottawa has a role in twinning the national highway system in places where the highway is leaving a province beyond the last major population center. Eastern Quebec is the classic example. The highway into NB is not twinned because this does not serve Quebec voters to any significant degree. The same could be said for the Transcanada west of Kenora.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2009, 12:45 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

Good point PPAR - I agree.
I'm all for the Feds building more of the national system anyway.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2009, 1:07 PM

The Constitution though says that provinces are responsible for most infrastructure, such as highways. Exceptions are in national parks and interprovincial/international bridges and links.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2009, 2:28 PM
Riki beach

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPAR View Post
Eastern Quebec is the classic example. The highway into NB is not twinned because this does not serve Quebec voters to any significant degree.
Thats not true. The 185 twinnig work is already underway for many years now and wont stop until the whole highway is twinned.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2009, 2:47 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone View Post
Thats not true. The 185 twinnig work is already underway for many years now and wont stop until the whole highway is twinned.
Yes, but the A-185 has been dealt with less urgently than other autoroutes in Quebec that have been bigger priorities for the provincial government.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2009, 2:51 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternallyme View Post
The Constitution though says that provinces are responsible for most infrastructure, such as highways. Exceptions are in national parks and interprovincial/international bridges and links.
Canada is I believe the only OECD country that does not have a national highway program.

I don't believe there has been a coast-to-coast, targeted federal highway plan since the Trans-Canada Highway project from the late 50s until 1971 (approx.).

Now, this does not mean that the feds don't provide money for highways. They do. But there is no Canada-wide coordinated approach, and each province negotiates its own deals with Ottawa based on provincial priorities (and whether or not Ottawa agrees with them).

New Brunswick in particular has been very successful over the past 10-15 years in obtaining federal money for twinning its entire segment of the Trans-Canada.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2009, 3:00 PM
Riki beach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Yes, but the A-185 has been dealt with less urgently than other autoroutes in Quebec that have been bigger priorities for the provincial government.
Unfortunately yes, yet a bit understandable. The point remains that work is underway and its good news right?

Old Posted Jun 26, 2009, 3:16 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Unfortunately yes, yet a bit understandable. The point remains that work is underway and its good news right?
Bien sûr. Même si c'est loin de chez moi, je passe par là en moyenne deux fois par année.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2009, 3:24 PM

Quote:
New Brunswick in particular has been very successful over the past 10-15 years in obtaining federal money for twinning its entire segment of the Trans-Canada.
Just to correct you the Confederation Leg of the TCH in New Brunswick is not twinned and as long as the Confederation Bridge is standing the entire province will not be twinned.

But yes the main leg of the TCH from the PQ boarder (Edmunston) to the NS boarder (Aulac) is completely twinned.

In Nova Scotia there is no will to twin the entire route and I very highly doubt it ever will be since we have more pressing highway problems (Hwy 101 & 103). I'm all for twinning the TCH but since most people turn off at Truro there's no pressure to fix it. And well its a pretty safe highway anyways on the mainland.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2009, 3:45 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedford_DJ View Post
Just to correct you the Confederation Leg of the TCH in New Brunswick is not twinned and as long as the Confederation Bridge is standing the entire province will not be twinned.
You're right. I had forgotten about the #16 stretch on the way to PEI. That's actually a pretty crappy road in some stretches.

But why does the existence of the Confederation Bridge prevent the twinning of NB-16?

Old Posted Jun 26, 2009, 3:56 PM
Riki beach

Quote:
Bien sûr. Même si c'est loin de chez moi, je passe par là en moyenne deux fois par année.
Lorsque notre 20 sera terminée dans une quinzaine d'années, tu viendra faire un petit détour pour venir voir ça (et nos 2 tours...)!

Old Posted Jun 26, 2009, 5:15 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Lorsque notre 20 sera terminée dans une quinzaine d'années, tu viendra faire un petit détour pour venir voir ça (et nos 2 tours...)!
Je suis déjà allé à Rimouski souvent, quand je passais par la "vallée" pour aller dans le sud de la Gaspésie, ou pour aller dans la Péninsule acadienne du NB.

Mais désolé, je n'ai jamais remarqué que vous aviez des tours... Je vais regarder de plus près la prochaine fois!

Old Posted Jun 26, 2009, 6:44 PM
Go Tall or Go Home

Quote:
OUI.

Quote:
Acajack
Canada is I believe the only OECD country that does not have a national highway program.

I don't believe there has been a coast-to-coast, targeted federal highway plan since the Trans-Canada Highway project from the late 50s until 1971 (approx.).

Now, this does not mean that the feds don't provide money for highways. They do. But there is no Canada-wide coordinated approach, and each province negotiates its own deals with Ottawa based on provincial priorities (and whether or not Ottawa agrees with them).

Agreed. This is more the point I was getting at regarding the Feds taking on a larger roll with respect to "National Highways".

Old Posted Jun 26, 2009, 10:18 PM

Quote:
You're right. I had forgotten about the #16 stretch on the way to PEI. That's actually a pretty crappy road in some stretches.

But why does the existence of the Confederation Bridge prevent the twinning of NB-16?
Well what i meant was the Confederation Bridge is only two lanes and narrow and there's no twinned sections on the island so while they could twin it the Confederation Bridge and her tollbooths/approachs are partly in NB.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada