HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Oct 28, 2014, 9:47 AM

Here's my latest list of active Austin projects that are at least 10-stories and/or 100'. I have documentation for 47 such projects now. There are more, but I can't nail down the documentation. Of the four status types (Proposed, Demo, Site Prep and U/C) it is not always clear what "Demo" and "Site Prep" mean. "Demo" can mean the site is being cleared for the start of construction or simply that the lot was cleared for a project that won't be built any time soon. "Site Prep" can mean anything from the site being fenced off for future construction or a big hole has already been dug for the underground parking levels prior to the immediate start of construction. So what I did was highlight in yellow all of the projects that are U/C or have been publicly announced as breaking ground with all of the financing in place and with construction immediately following the demolition and/or site prep. For all practical purposes everything in yellow is under construction.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2014, 6:58 PM
Unicorn Wizard!

Quote:
Gingerman
Haha!

You know just for the sake of not looking like a clone of the Marriot, I am in favor of the spire on this one. It might not look so bad. As long as its more needle-like, otherwise we'll be calling this one the Walkie Talkie Building. Or the old school Nokia brick building

Old Posted Oct 28, 2014, 7:24 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

We already have a USB stick (Austonian) and an SD card (JW Marriott).

Old Posted Oct 28, 2014, 9:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lzppjb View Post
We already have a USB stick (Austonian) and an SD card (JW Marriott).
Lol... that was to funny!

Old Posted Oct 28, 2014, 9:28 PM

Some pictures I took yesterday while walking around downtown.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2014, 9:36 PM

16 new mixed-income town homes coming to East Austin

Quote:
Michael Theis
October 27. 2014

The Austin Revitalization Authority's strategic revitalization efforts in East Austin are set to continue with a groundbreaking set later this week on a series of mixed-income town homes in the 1100 block of Curve Street.

Dubbed Juniper Heights, the project will have 16 units, two of which will be sold as affordable housing units.

"In the past five years we've re-structured our board of directors and revised our mission and vision statements as part of our new strategic plan in order to aid more effectively in the rebuilding of East Austin," said CEO and President of ARA Greg Smith in a statement. "After these last few years of serious assessment, we've also developed great relationships with others who share a strong interest in developing the East 11th and East 12th Street areas."

The groundbreaking is set for Tuesday, Oct. 28.
http://m.bizjournals.com/austin/blog...in.html?r=full

Old Posted Oct 29, 2014, 12:00 AM

This blows... Fairmont is shorter now?!?!!!! Damn it!!!!!

Old Posted Oct 29, 2014, 12:19 AM
Meh

http://www.mystatesman.com/news/news....257263.735534
Quote:
Bond election slated for May for Travis County civil courthouse

Posted: 5:36 p.m. Tuesday, Oct. 28, 2014

By Andra Lim - American-Statesman Staff

But whatever the amount, it would pay for a downtown civil courthouse that, according to the latest plans, would stand 14 stories high, climbing about 270 feet, and contain 520,000 square feet of space. Underground would be a four-story garage with 548 parking spaces.

At recent meetings, including Tuesday’s, the Commissioners Court has heard plans from consultants for how much space the courthouse will contain and what that space will be used for — key factors in drilling down the cost of the building.

Those plans say the courthouse, slated to be complete in 2018, would include offices for 35 judges and 33 courtrooms, offices for nine other county departments and space for nonprofit agencies and a law library.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2014, 6:18 PM
Meh

Fairmont Hotel

Ok, so I've been sending emails to Gensler and Manchester trying to get the heights. Someone from Manchester came back yesterday with info from Gensler. The heights are:

595 feet to the spire.

456 feet to the "crown" - this should be the top of the mechanical penthouse.

It's listed as 37 floors, but in reality there are only 36 actual occupied floors. The reason for the discrepancy is it's tradition in the hotel industry to skip the 13th floor. So they go from 12 straight to 14.

It will also have 4 levels underground for parking. She said is breaks ground in November.

She said the design is complete, but that a different architecture firm is handling the skybridge to the convention center.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2014, 6:21 PM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoninATX View Post
Some pictures I took yesterday while walking around downtown.

Nice pics, Jon. Thanks for the update. I really like that view of Seven. And it's good to see the Hotel Zaza finally moving forward.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2014, 8:54 PM

Thanks Kevin, I notice about a month ago how Seven sticks out on W. 7th. Looks pretty cool like that.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2014, 9:15 PM
Member since 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Ok, so I've been sending emails to Gensler and Manchester trying to get the heights. Someone from Manchester came back yesterday with info from Gensler. The heights are:

595 feet to the spire.

456 feet to the "crown" - this should be the top of the mechanical penthouse.

It's listed as 37 floors, but in reality there are only 36 actual occupied floors. The reason for the discrepancy is it's tradition in the hotel industry to skip the 13th floor. So they go from 12 straight to 14.

It will also have 4 levels underground for parking. She said is breaks ground in November.

She said the design is complete, but that a different architecture firm is handling the skybridge to the convention center.

Thanks Kevin.

Even worse that I thought. Almost a quarter of the building's listed height will be an odd-looking spire.

This is a real disappointment from the original design! It seems obvious that the cost of building the tower in its original form was going to cost well north of $400 million. If not, then what happened to the design?

Heck, they've cut 120' off the building (not including the spire) and raised the budget by $20 million.

I wish they (Manchester & Gentler) could have added some swerves or undulations to the façade...at least it would be more interesting than a cookie-cut version of a convention hotel. However, I don't think anyone at Gentler's Austin office can draw anything but a straight line.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2014, 9:21 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

I read that the firm doing the Waller Creek design is also doing the skybridge.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2014, 9:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lzppjb View Post
I read that the firm doing the Waller Creek design is also doing the skybridge.
Read the same.!

Old Posted Oct 30, 2014, 1:25 AM

Sad to say...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBoot View Post
Thanks Kevin.

Even worse that I thought. Almost a quarter of the building's listed height will be an odd-looking spire.

This is a real disappointment from the original design! It seems obvious that the cost of building the tower in its original form was going to cost well north of $400 million. If not, then what happened to the design?

Heck, they've cut 120' off the building (not including the spire) and raised the budget by $20 million.

I wish they (Manchester & Gentler) could have added some swerves or undulations to the façade...at least it would be more interesting than a cookie-cut version of a convention hotel. However, I don't think anyone at Gentler's Austin office can draw anything but a straight line.
This is worse than boring - especially when compared to the initial design proposals. This project stands at a crucial gateway to downtown. Its message: meh, whatever - I've got a spire - sort of.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2014, 3:17 AM

We fell for it again.

As usual, it seems the rendering was only to generate money for a "cost engineered" boxy version. So was that first ambitious design ever a possibility, or just "the guys" throwing a few curvy ideas around the office? This is such disappointing massing after the first one. A plinth for parking and a kleenex box tower. Stone Age in it's sophistication.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2014, 4:27 AM

I still think the Fairmont looks nice. It isn't anywhere near as nice as the original design, but it'll still be a good addition to the skyline.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2014, 6:44 PM

A few photos from yesterday.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2014, 11:06 PM

Do you guys think that Austin's light rail has a chance of getting passed this election? I like the idea of being able to visit and get around easier with rail. I hope they decide to give much of the rail its own right of way. Don't want it to end up like METRO Rail in Houston (stopping and slowing traffic).

Old Posted Oct 30, 2014, 11:13 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

I don't think it will pass.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations