HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Dec 11, 2010, 5:32 AM

MacArthur project gains steam

Quote:
After years of planning, the developers of the MacArthur BART transit village intend to start construction in early 2011 on the first major component of the project.

The first piece to break ground is a 480-car garage that will replace the existing surface parking lot and make room for various residential projects.

The 7.76-acre, $370 million project is slated to include the garage, at least 516 market-rate housing units, 108 affordable housing units, 42,500 square feet of commercial space and a 5,000-square-foot child care facility.
http://www.bizjournals.com/mobile/sa...ins-speed.html

Old Posted Dec 13, 2010, 4:00 PM

Wow...great find! This one is especially interesting because its in that nook bordered by Harrison, Lakeside Dr., Lake Merrit, and 14th st. I get most excited seeing high rise proposals for Oakland. I like to imagine one day there'll be a large skyline to complement San Francisco's across the bay. There a some great proposals, sadly none have been built.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternGulf View Post

Old Posted Dec 13, 2010, 10:33 PM

^ Looks good, sort of like the Federal Building's Eastern brother.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2010, 6:24 PM

Peninsula Developments

A couple more developments along the peninsula...

Menlo Park - Menlo Gateway:

Quote:
Bohannon Development Company is proposing amendments to the General Plan and Zoning Ordinance and Map to construct the following:

Three office and R&D buildings (694,669 square feet)
Hotel (171,563 square feet; 230 rooms)
Health club, serving hotel guests and the public (68,519 square feet)
Cafe/restaurant (4,245 square feet)
Neighborhood-serving retail and community facilities (10,420 square feet)
Three parking structures
The development would take place on two sites totaling 15.9 acres located near the US101/Marsh Road interchange. The specific sites are located at 100 to 190 Independence Drive and 101 to 155 Constitution Drive.
It was approved in November:

Quote:
A Menlo Park Vote on the Bohannon Project was on the November 2, 2010 ballot for voters in the City of Menlo Park in San Mateo County.[1] It was approved.
The Bohannon Project is a 230-room hotel, health club, three eight-story office buildings, three parking structures, retail facilities and a restaurant proposed for the city's east side. David Bohannon is trying to develop the 16-acre project at Menlo Gateway, between U.S. Highway 101, Marsh Road, the Bayfront Expressway and Chrysler Drive.
The city's planning staff said that the project, which altogether is proposed to have about 950,000 square feet, will be roughly equivalent in size to the Sun Microsystems campus at the east end of Willow Road.[2]
Election results

Yes: 7,613 (64.52%) a
No: 4,186 (35.48%)
Election results are from the San Mateo County elections division as of November 27, 2010.
Source:http://ballotpedia.org/wiki/index.ph...(November_2010)

Source and more info:http://www.menlogateway.com/

San Mateo - Station Park Green:

Quote:
Station Park Green is a 12-acre transit-oriented development (TOD) site for which we are developing designs for a mixed-use neighborhood that includes housing, office space, destination and boutique retail, community facilities and a new park and “urban room”. A pedestrian-friendly street grid connects the different uses, which frame a rich ensemble of public spaces. The massing and articulation of the buildings relates to the surrounding neighborhood fabric, enhances the safety and quality of the public realm, responds to light and solar access and climate conditions and provides views for residents and workers. We are working closely with the city staff and community of San Mateo through public workshops and meetings, which ensure community consensus and timely approvals of the master plan.

Source:http://www.perkinswill.com/work/station-park-green.html
More info:http://www.cityofsanmateo.org/index.aspx?NID=2046

Old Posted Jan 27, 2011, 5:51 PM

From:http://www.berkeleyside.com/2011/01/...west-berkeley/

Quote:
On the table: the future of West Berkeley

January 26, 2011 10:20 am by John C. Osborn

The Berkeley City Council held the first of two public hearings Tuesday about proposed changes for West Berkeley that could drastically alter the landscape of the city’s economy in years to come.

The changes would relax protections that have been in place for years over what types of business the city are allowed within the West Berkeley industrial area, particularly those focused on research and development. But there are concerns that the proposed changes could lead to an expansion of residential development and could dramatically increase property values to the point of pushing out small businesses.

Citing remarks made at Berkeleyside’s Local Business Forum this week by Wired editor-in-chief Chris Anderson, Berkeley’s Mayor Tom Bates commented on the rapidly changing economic framework of the 21st century, where entire business operations can be organized online among a number of participants worldwide. He specifically talked about the need to tap the city’s greatest resources: UC Berkeley and the Lawrence Berkeley National Lab. Both institutions are churning out talented and hungry entrepreneurs who are flocking elsewhere to start up businesses. LBNL is also scouting for a second campus site with West Berkeley as an outside contender for its choice.

“This whole thing is changing so rapidly and dramatically it’s hard to keep up with,” Bates said. “If you don’t change, you die.”

The changes being proposed have been more than three years in the making. The Planning Commission has held a number of meetings over the past two years to hash out recommendations on how facilitate development of large industrial properties and encourage growth for research and development, while ensuring that the small businesses currently located there don’t get pushed out.

Concerns have been over talent from the city’s education institutions leaving for places such as Emeryville and Palo Alto to found technology start-ups. Meanwhile, West Berkeley has not reached its projected employment of 3,100 as outlined in its plan; it has been losing jobs over the years, especially in manufacturing. The final product of these meetings was a set of proposals that would modify the zoning and plans for the West Berkeley area; the Planning Commission adopted the recommendations 7-2 on October 13, 2010.

Among the most significant changes being proposed are modifications to areas of West Berkeley currently locked into certain types of development. Currently, parcels are set up for manufacturing, mixed-use light industrial, mixed-use residential, and mixed manufacturing. Allowable uses include manufacturing, wholesale, warehouse, and material recovery, and protections exist to ensure that any business that doesn’t fit that mold cannot take root there.

The city gives out what are called Master Use Permits to dictate control over developments in West Berkeley. Similar to a conditional use permit, an MUP requires a public process before being approved, and it is used to negotiate certain terms for the project to be approved.

Under the proposed changes, the city would offer perks to developers in exchange for carrots for the community through these MUPs. Perks could include expanding the list of allowable uses within West Berkeley, relaxing certain space protections such as height limits, and allowing for increased development potential. Community benefits could come in the form of expanded job training and placement opportunities, development of non-automotive transportation systems, and preservation of the artisan community.

Although the plan proposes allowing five new uses in these protected areas, only one — research and development — has the greatest potential to encourage new business growth, and is also the source of the plan’s strongest criticism.

Berkeley’s Economic Development Director Michael Caplan said emerging technology is the face of the 21st century economy, and that the city had an R&D pipeline via the university and laboratory. He said the city is missing out, with between 15 to 25 licensed technicians trained in a variety of emerging techs — such as nanoscience or building material science — leaving every year to establish start-ups elsewhere throughout the Bay Area.

“This is very important for the West Berkeley economy,” Caplan said during the study session before the hearing.” (Emerging technology) is a classic high value-added industry.”

Rick Auerbach, a representative of the West Berkeley Artisans and Industrial Companies, questioned whether the proposed changes would leave artisans without safeguards during the study session. He was concerned that the changes would deindustrialize the area over time, and raise rent prices to the point of pushing out businesses that couldn’t pay.

This comes from concern that R&D businesses are a mixture of office and industrial, and the nature of the business may increase property values in the areas where they are located.

Auerbach said there was plenty of space currently available to R&D companies, and that jobs not requiring college degrees are not meeting demand, while jobs requiring such degrees over over-employing.

“It’s completely unnecessary,” Auerbach said of the changes, “and destructive to our vital economy and equity.”

Chris Farlow, for the West Berkeley Property Owners, disagreed. During the study session, he explained how difficult it is to start and maintain a business in Berkeley, and that the changes could provide the incentives needed to attract new businesses. He added the city had a “monstrous opportunity” in trying to land the planned second Lawrence Berkeley Lab in West Berkeley.

“Protectionism has been one of the key barriers to Berkeley growth,” Farlow said.

At the regular City Council meeting, where about 45 members of the public lined up to speak on the issue, several West Berkeley business owners spoke of how existing zoning protections had helped them grow their companies. They included Michael McEwen of McEwen Lighting who is moving from Emeryville to a building on 9th Street, and Tom Adams of Adams & Chittenden Glass on 8th Street.

Meghan Pressman, Associate Managing Director of Berkeley Rep, which recently moved its main operations from downtown to West Berkeley, spoke of the theatre’s excitement about being part of such a vibrant community. She also stressed the need for the arts to be an integral part of the new plan.

Michael McBride, a pastor at The Way Christan Center, said this issue wasn’t about being anti-development or being pro-development, but about providing jobs and opportunities to the community’s most vulnerable families. And, as the process moves forward, he said there had to be clear and viable community benefits in whatever agreements are made.

“As a pastor I know,” McBride said, “the devil is always in the details.”

The second hearing on the West Berkeley plan will be on February 8. Visit the city of Berkeley’s website for agendas, videos and podcasts of Tuesday’s special meeting and the regular City Council meeting at which hearings were also conducted.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2011, 9:20 AM
Only Mostly Dead

Might be some news on the Oakland Army Base coming soon...

Quote:
Port says Army Base deal on $1B plan likely in 2011
by Eric Young
San Francisco Business Times

After years of failed proposals for Oakland’s former Army Base, a deal is likely in 2011.

The director of Oakland’s port, Omar Benjamin, said last week that “we will close a deal this year” for the redevelopment of the former Army Base. He called the more than $1 billion effort to expand the port with a new trade, logistics and office center “a vital project for our future.”

The head of Oakland’s economic development agency, Walter Cohen, said, “I’m pushing very hard” to finalize a development deal this year.

Already the city of Oakland and the port have worked for ...
Source: http://www.bizjournals.com/sanfranci...deal-2011.html

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Feb 19, 2011, 6:01 PM
BANNED

Interesting; it would b nice to see that area get some activity.

Is this in response to real demand for more facilities or is it a "spend money because it's in the budget" kind of thing?

Old Posted Feb 20, 2011, 1:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut gallery View Post
Might be some news on the Oakland Army Base coming soon...

Source: http://www.bizjournals.com/sanfranci...deal-2011.html

I recently read a couple of recycling centers would move to the Army Base. Hopefully if there are any plans for the Army Base the two can co-exsist.

http://www.insidebayarea.com/oakland/ci_17417126

Old Posted Feb 20, 2011, 2:49 AM
Only Mostly Dead

^I wonder if the recycling centers are looking at that land just northeast of the Grand/880 ramps from 80. I imagine that parcel isn't as appealing to the port anyway.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Feb 20, 2011, 6:14 AM
Green Berniecrat

Error Post

Old Posted Apr 5, 2011, 5:00 PM
Only Mostly Dead

I saw what I assume is the steel frame for the new Kaiser Hospital from BART in Oakland Friday evening. Could that have already topped out or be close to it? Looked pretty high from around MacArthur station. I only got a brief glimpse and from a distance though. Has anyone been by there and perhaps snapped some photos of the construction?

Old Posted Apr 5, 2011, 5:39 PM

Quote:
I saw what I assume is the steel frame for the new Kaiser Hospital from BART in Oakland Friday evening. Could that have already topped out or be close to it? Looked pretty high from around MacArthur station. I only got a brief glimpse and from a distance though. Has anyone been by there and perhaps snapped some photos of the construction?
I have been noticing that on my commute as well and wondered what it was, and why no one here had mentioned it. Thanks! I was thinking "that's a hospital."

It's getting pretty high, I wouldn't be surprised if had topped out. If I had a better camera phone I would snap a pic, but alas I don't.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2011, 5:57 PM

I don't think this has been posted:

Quote:
Kaiser Oakland Medical Center
Oakland, CA

$1 billion replacment hospital - showcase for green design and sustainable practices

Source:http://www.apsipm.com/index.php/site.../healthcare/#5

Old Posted Apr 5, 2011, 6:46 PM
Only Mostly Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberEric View Post
I have been noticing that on my commute as well and wondered what it was, and why no one here had mentioned it.
Funny, that was my first thought: "Can't believe I haven't seen that on SSP."

Thanks for the rendering, 1977. I briefly looked for one with no luck. It looks vaguely familiar, making me wonder if someone did post it a long time ago. Or it could just be that it's your typical-looking hospital.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2011, 5:55 PM

I drove by it again yesterday and it looks like the framing is as high as it is going to go. From the freeway (the 680 West I believe) it looks quite imposing.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2011, 7:22 AM

Quote:
Funny, that was my first thought: "Can't believe I haven't seen that on SSP."
That's really funny to hear, I was in Oakland on Monday and was thinking the same thing to myself when I saw the steel frame.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2011, 5:31 PM
Only Mostly Dead

Anyone in Oakland today within sight of the old Oak Knoll naval hospital? They'll be imploding the main building around noon today: http://www.ktvu.com/news/27477899/detail.html. Should be a pretty cool show.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2011, 9:29 PM
Only Mostly Dead

The video can be found on the NBC Bay Area website.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2011, 10:29 PM
Droppin' Loads

Sweeeeeet. That put up quite a bit of dust.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2011, 5:30 PM
Only Mostly Dead

According to the Mercury News, a couple of surface lots in Redwood City may soon be developed.

Quote:
Redwood City scopes out land near railroad tracks for big downtown project
By Bonnie Eslinger
Daily News Staff Writer
Posted: 04/27/2011 11:41:19 PM PDT

Now that they finally have a new downtown plan on the books, Redwood City officials are setting their sights on developing two city-owned parking lots along railroad tracks near the Caltrain station.

Tall office buildings and even a hotel could rise from a 2.5-acre lot bordered by Jefferson Avenue, Middlefield Road and the railroad tracks, and from a smaller adjacent lot on Winslow Street.

Among the interested developers is Cupertino-based Hunter Storm, which already has started working with city staff to shape its proposal for a downtown office complex. Hunter Storm has four offices in Redwood City, though none downtown, according to its website.

Company co-owner Ed Storm told the council he hopes to construct two office buildings with a combined floor space of 250,000 square feet on the larger parcel, enough room to accommodate about 1,200 employees.

The new downtown plan calls for buildings up to 12 stories tall in some areas, including the two parking lots, as well as 2,500 new housing units, 500,000 square feet of offices and 100,000 square feet of retail.

"So office, hotel, residential, entertainment, retail restaurant, pretty much you name it" would be permitted, Zack said.

More here.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations