HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Mar 30, 2021, 10:47 PM
Reach for the Clouds

Mineola, NY

Mineola is a village of 19,000 and the county seat of Nassau County, Long Island, New York. I took the pics a few weeks ago.

Thank you for viewing.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2021, 10:57 PM
Reach for the Clouds

A few of the court buildings.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2021, 1:00 AM

Not bad, I would live there.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2021, 2:10 AM

Population makes prosperity.

Never heard of Mineola, there must be tons of similar towns in there. but a village of 19,000 people in NY already turned itself into a small city.

19,000 people can make a major city in the mid-west region.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2021, 2:47 AM

Nice pictures. I actually have pictures from this area that I will be making a photothread for at some point.

What is the distinction/differentiation between Hempstead, Mineola, and Garden City?

Old Posted Mar 31, 2021, 3:33 AM
Reach for the Clouds

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzmattzx View Post
Nice pictures. I actually have pictures from this area that I will be making a photothread for at some point.

What is the distinction/differentiation between Hempstead, Mineola, and Garden City?
Well....for one thing Hempstead has a population of 790,000....even though it is only a town and not incorporated as a city. If it were, it would be the second largest city in New York State. Hempstead contains 22 villages and 37 hamlets of which Mineola and Garden City are two. Nassau County is for the most part tightly packed with these villages and towns.......and much of it quite urban. Great Neck for example consists of nine villages and hamlets. I live in Great Neck Plaza......which is pretty dense for a village. In fact it is the 11th most densely populated place in the US! Long Island only has two cities, Long Beach and Glen Cove.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2021, 2:46 PM

Looks pretty nice!

Old Posted Mar 31, 2021, 3:24 PM
No grabbing my banana!

Thanks for the pictures Boden! My knowledge of Nassau and LI has expanded a bit this past winter due to the many day trips I took over the weekend with my parents. I haven't been to Mineola yet. It will be a cool place to visit.

Not surprised the ChrisLA mentioned that it seemed like a nice place to live. I would imagine that much of metro LA is sort of like Nassau: wave after wave of medium-density towns and villages. For many parts of the country, Mineola might be considered a minor city. But for NYC residents, the many towns and villages in LI, NJ, CT, and upstate are definitely suburbs serving the city.

The north shore is less populated and more wealthy due to (I believe) the land being the traditional home of the wealthy and the robber barons. This may be due to the fact the weather in the north shore is generally far less harsh compared with the south shore (which deals with harsh ocean winds and storms). The south shore was mostly home to fishermen. Jones Beach was basically deserted and populated by a few fishermen plying their trade before Robert Moses noticed it would make a perfect public beach. Even now, I believe the towns in south Nassau are more working class oriented compared with the north.

One final note - one of the pictures shows "The Roast Sandwich House", which is a place I wanted to get lunch one weekend. It's a sandwich mini-chain in LI, but they are never open on Sundays. I guess their primary business is the working hours lunch crowd.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2021, 4:15 PM
BANNED

Minneola is kind of crappy IMO, but downtown Garden City (just next door) is beautiful.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2021, 6:30 PM

There are a ton of transit-oriented midrise apartment buildings planned for Mineola.

And re. Mineola and Garden City, yeah, Mineola is more more middle class than Garden City, which is wealthy. But Mineola is a decent community. It's just more Queens-ish, with apartment buildings and urban corridors. Most of Western Nassau, outside the North Shore, is basically an extension of Queens.

Also, re. the LIRR pics, you see they're adding a third track to that rail line, and doing a major renovation/expansion of the Mineola station (and all the stations along this corridor).

Old Posted Mar 31, 2021, 10:03 PM

This is the most Long Island photo thread I've ever seen. Nicely done.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2021, 10:12 PM

Had friends in Mineola. Now they are in Oyster Bay. I will always have found memories of that place.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2021, 2:14 AM

Mineola and Garden City strike me as a perfect representation of the kind of built environment you can find out on Long Island, especially Garden City with its history as one of the first fully planned villages and a town layout that has lots of charm.

I just moved out of Brooklyn and became fascinated with the area and its history a few months back and made it in Sim City 4 because I still play that game. Obviously I took liberty with Mineola since I had to squeeze some density in somewhere

And here's the civic center that can be seen in the first half of boden's photos

Old Posted Apr 9, 2021, 1:27 PM
Reach for the Clouds

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMKeynes View Post
Minneola is kind of crappy IMO, but downtown Garden City (just next door) is beautiful.
Actually some of my photos were technically in Garden City. Mineola feels far more urban to me.......and has what could be described as a cohesive downtown core. Garden City is a series of linear developments.......so typical here in Long Island. Garden City is definitely more upscale.....you are right about that. Maybe I'll do a thread on it soon. .

kznyc2k........you have turned Mineola into Brooklyn! Maybe one day.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2021, 1:46 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

this is silly but when we first moved to nyc we had to go to mineola because it was the only place in the region with a key bank.

it became memorable because there was a very cute little kid on the train platform looking at the sign and saying, “minny yo yo! minny yo yo!”

so ever since then any time we head out east on long island there is always some consideration given to stopping in minny yo yo.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2021, 1:07 PM
B!tchslapping Since 1998

Thanks for this!

Old Posted May 14, 2021, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boden View Post
kznyc2k........you have turned Mineola into Brooklyn! Maybe one day.
I see some Buffalo in there too. City Hall anyway

Old Posted May 14, 2021, 9:55 PM

Very well photographed. Just goes to show, you don't need high-rises for an attractive urban environment. I've always liked places with lots of mid-rise apartment buildings. You can see the same all over Montreal.

It's such a shame though how little support Nassau County gives to its bus system. Even Suffolk County provided a $40 million operating subsidy for its bus system in 2016, while NICE system only got $2.6 million from Nassau County. With better local transit, places like Mineola can realize their full potential. The fact that some of the parking garages pictured are taller than the other surrounding buildings only highlights this problem.

Old Posted May 18, 2021, 2:48 PM
Beer Stampede

Nice pics!!

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos